• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 747 Views, 4 Comments

The Dark Comet - ggs1995



When an Ancient Evil awakens, the Mane Six are thrown into a world that represents everything they stand against. Will they be able to conquer the deadly sins before the Darkness corrupts all of Equestria?

  • ...
1
 4
 747

Exit Light, Enter Night

Present Day

Equestria was in celebration. For the fourth time in its 5,000 year history, a Princess was to be inaugurated. Businesses were closed, friends and families came together, and festivities were aplenty.

Twilight Sparkle was a humble unicorn, but even she could not help but feel rather proud of herself. At a young age, it was obvious she had a great aptitude for magic, but all this? Protégé to Celestia herself, having the best friends a pony could wish for, saving Equestria more than once, now becoming royalty?

‘I never could have done it without those closest to me’, she thought with a smile…

“TWILIGHT!” screamed a high-pitched voice, nearly giving Twilight a heart attack. After she had composed herself, “Rarity! How many times do I have to tell you girls not to sneak up on me like that?” scolded Twilight playfully.

“Oh, I apologize darling, but I simply cannot contain my excitement any longer. I, Rarity, get to perform the makeover for my best friend’s coronation. It’s every girl’s dream and I get to live it,” said a fawning Rarity, almost fainting before being caught by Twilight’s magic.

“I couldn’t think of anypony better for the job,” – the white unicorn beamed at this – “I just wish I had the same confidence” said Twilight, apprehension creeping its way into her voice.

Her friend quickly caught on, “What’s wrong, Twilight? You know you can always tell me anything.” Rarity asked, enthusiastic as ever to help those in need.

“I-I’m nervous Rarity. Don’t get me wrong, this is a tremendous honor, and I could not be more excited, but… What if I mess up?

“You won’t dear—

“What if everypony starts seeing my different?

“Now, Twilight—

Or, worst of all, what if something terrible happens during my regency that I can’t fix? Something or somepony stronger than any of the villains we’ve faced thus far or—

“Twilight Sparkle, that is enough! Let me speak this instant!” yelled Rarity with a hint of frustration. The purple alicorn quickly shut up.

“Now, listen well, my dear; you will not make a good Princess,” Twilight looked visibly stunned at this and opened her mouth to protest—

“You will make a fantastic Princess,” – then promptly closed it. “You have so many wonderful leadership traits darling. You’re intelligent, humble, caring; I could go on and on of course. You really must give yourself more credit, if you can deal with our little group of friends on a daily basis, surely dealing with an entire country will be no issue?” At this, both friends burst out laughing.

“Thank you Rarity, I feel a lot better,” said Twilight, and it was true. Her friends somehow always knew what to say to make her feel better.

“You are most welcome Twilight. Now, sit down. We have a coronation to prepare you for!


Meanwhile, the eldest Princess of Equestria was reflecting on how things had gone the past few years. When she had decided to start taking on personal students over a century ago, she never would have thought one could accomplish all Twilight had.

‘She saved Luna when nopony else, not even Discord, could.’ In truth, Celestia could not have been more proud of the former unicorn. She was the first pony in history to have earned alicorn-hood. Even Cadance had only been due to what she was (controlling love), not what she had done.

“And that’s not even counting those vile changelings or Sombra…” she thought out loud. It seemed to Celestia that Twilight had done more for Equestria in her twenty years of life then she had done in thousands.

Suddenly an irritatingly familiar voice asked, “Feeling a bit down, are we Sun Butt?”

Sighing, Celestia responded, “I’ve told you a million times Discord, don’t call me that. And no, just reminiscing is all. When you’re immortal, you tend to do that a lot.”

“Not me! I prefer action over thinking. Things are a lot more interesting that way.”

“Yes, well, you’re not the one running a country are you? I would appreciate if you at least tried to be compassionate to my feelings,” snapped Celestia, to Discord’s mild surprise.

“Now I know something is wrong, so why don’t you confide in your old Uncle Discord? That is what good friends do, is it not?” smirked the Draconequus.

“One: I’m older than you, and two: I’m going to ignore the obvious sarcasm and take your suggestion, despite my better judgment. It’s… Luna.

With the mention of the Princess of the Night, Discord’s mocking smile fell, being replaced by a somber expression- quite the rare sight. “I see. Why is that?”

“Discord you know what happened to her wasn’t your f—

“Enough. I don’t want to talk about that. This isn’t about me Princess, this is about you, so please, do continue.”

It seemed like the princess wanted to protest, but decided against it. “Very well. Ever since my faithful student ascended, I have felt it beginning to stir once more. And not just an old enemy returning, I mean something entirely new. Surely you have as well?” Discord nodded with an exaggerated eye roll.

“You mean Daddy Darkness? The Boogeypony? The—

“Yes, Discord, the Darkness. It cannot be mere coincidence that its resurfacing coincided with Twilight’s great achievement.”

Discord pondered this for a moment, “Well, I wouldn’t worry about it.”

“… That’s it? That’s your advice?” asked an infuriated Celestia to a slightly bored looking Discord

“What did you expect? I’m not exactly the Spirit of Helpfulness and Sagely Advice,” he shrugged. “Besides, I only meant you shouldn’t worry about it. Remember our old deal? I’ll help your precious ponies deal with whatever comes along like I usually do.”

Against all odds, Discord had kept his word throughout the years, so Celestia had to give him the benefit of the doubt. “Fine, I’ll try to stop worrying so much. Now shoo, I must prepare for my student’s coronation. You report to the Lightbringers; I’ll inform them you’re coming.”

“If you wanted to get rid of me you could have just said so… Sun Butt.”

Discord was out of there just in time to avoid the shouts of one very angry Solar Princess.


One hour before the coronation was set to begin, all of the Element Bearers were gathered around the future Princess Twilight, giving their final words of encouragement.

Which was not very effective when the mare in question was having a mild panic attack.

Applejack, being the most level-headed of the group, took the initiative, “C’mon Twi, Ah know this whole Princess business is giving y’all the heebie jeebies, but we’ve told y’all a thousand times, it’s gonna be alright.” The other four nodded their heads with enthusiasm. It hurt to see their friend like this, especially when they thought this matter had already been dealt with by Rarity.

Finally, Twilight spoke up, “Look girls, I appreciate what you’re trying to do but…”

“But…?” asked the other five.

“My worries aren’t related to the coronation- not directly anyway. I made peace with that days ago,” said Twilight with a sigh.

Pinkie, who was holding no less than fifty balloons from the various parties, spoke up, “Then what’s the matter Twilight? Do you think some ancient evil omnipotent being will awaken after a super duper long time and destroy us all? Because that’d be just silly!” Everypony else just rolled their eyes at this. ‘Pinkie being Pinkie’ they all thought.

“I don’t know about that Pinkie, but you’re not too far off… I think. My concerns are probably unfounded, but I just can’t shake the feeling that something very bad will happen.”

Rarity thought this particular issue had been nipped in the bud, and began to protest, but—

“Before you say anything Rarity, please just hear me out. Alicorns are naturally attuned to the magical balance of Equus. Combine that with my natural affinity for magic, and I really don’t think I’m overreacting. Whatever it is I’m feeling, the Dark Magic output is greater than anything I’ve ever felt.”

“Well, couldn’t you… I don’t know, be wrong?” asked Rainbow Dash, unable to hide a hint of uncertainty.

“Of course. It could just be a mixture of nerves and my heightened magical abilities causing me to perceive a nonexistent threat,” said Twilight, trying to seem confident, when she really was anything but. After all, she would need that skill if she was to become a good Princess.

Luckily, her friends bought it. “Well then, Ah s’pose we should hope fer the best. No use gettin’ all worked up over maybes,” said Applejack.

Suddenly, everypony realized what time it was. Only a half hour left until the ceremony!

“Twilight dear, you must go now. Don’t worry, we’ll all be there in the front row cheering you on. Best of luck,” said Rarity with tears of joy in her eyes. All of Twilight’s other friends gathered for a group hug, saying their final goodbyes before heading out to go find their seats.

Now alone for a moment, Twilight thought out loud, “Even if something bad does happen, I know we can defeat it. There’s nothing friendship cannot defeat.”


The coronation was underway. Despite the importance and grandeur of the event, it really was quite boring. For three hours, Twilight did not even make an appearance. It was mostly just dignitaries from across Equestria swearing their fealty, and long readings of Equestrian history. A certain rainbow-maned pegasus was asleep within fifteen minutes.

Finally, after all the pomp and circumstance was concluded, the part that everypony was waiting for arrived. Celestia, Luna and Cadance themselves took center stage to swear in the newest Princess to her office.

“And now, ponies of Equestria, we present to you: Twilight Sparkle!”

The cheers could be heard from all corners of Equus. The ponies of Equestria had come to love Twilight over the years for her countless acts of heroism. On stage, Twilight’s cheeks were .

After a full five minutes of applause, Celestia continued, “Twilight Sparkle of House Luceat, you stand before us here today…”

And so on and so forth.

Yet another two hours later, and the vows had finally concluded. Twilight was in near-agony by the time it was over, though she somehow kept up her impassive mask.

Celestia and Luna finished, echoing Clover the Clever from their own coronation: Then it is done. Ponies of Equestria, we present to you:

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, Astraea, Harbinger of Friendship, Bearer of Magic.

“Forever may she reign!”


So the coronation was a complete success, just like the others before it. It was now time for the post-ceremony party, which of course Pinkie Pie got to plan. Putting together a celebration of this scale had been hard work for even the unlimited ball of energy that was Pinkie, but the end result was well worth it in her mind.

At midnight, it was time for the newly appointed Princess Twilight’s to give her first royal address.

Twilight, meanwhile, had almost completely forgotten about her earlier nerves and was reveling in the festive atmosphere.

She began, “Well, I can certainly tell you one thing everypony- I never would have expected all this when I was a little filly applying at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns” – that earned her a few chuckles – “But I have to say what a tremendous honor this truly is. For you, the ponies of Equestria, to have accepted me as one of your Princesses? It’s hard to describe.”

Twilight was about to launch into her well-rehearsed diatribe when suddenly a… guard (?) wearing an unrecognizable set of armor came up to her on the podium.

“Miss Sparkle, the other Princesses require your presence- immediately.” This stallion was obviously not messing around, but Twilight was shocked. Celestia, Luna and Cadance had been so excited for her to deliver this particular speech. Why would they… No, it couldn’t be that… could it?

“Your Highness, I hate to rush you but this is a matter of national security. Also, the rest of the Element Bearers are required as well,” said the mystery stallion.

‘Great,’ she thought, ‘I was right…’

The rest of the Elements, who were once again occupying the front row, were wondering what was so important that their friend had to be interrupted during her first speech as a Princess.

Then Twilight dropped the bomb, “Girls… We’re needed. Again. I think you can guess why,” the others’ faces fell at this. Why couldn’t they go a few months without a crisis? Things like this never happened before they were born!

“What’s going on Twilight? Another baddie that needs a good hind kicking?” joked Rainbow. To her displeasure, her friend did not so much as even grin.

“I-I’m not sure yet girls. The Princesses need us, so let’s go see what’s up,” her friends nodded their assent.

Everypony in the room seemed disappointed that Twilight was not going to finish her speech, but knew that she was not to be stopped. Business involving the Elements of Harmony was something nopony wanted to any part of.

Once the Bearers and the ‘guard’ were out of earshot, Twilight demanded, “What’s going on? A-as your Princess, I have the r-right to know.”

She was still getting used to wielding authority.

“I apologize ma’am, but I’m not at liberty to say. I, along with my Brothers and Sisters, answer only to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. And, in their absence… ‘Lieutenant’ Discord. I’m sure one of them will explain when we arrive.”

“But- I- Fine. I won’t press the issue. But only because I trust the Princesses.” And because Twilight knew better then trying to get information out of a trained soldier.

Five minutes later, they made it to their destination. The looks on the faces of everypony present were… grim, to say the least. Even Discord, amazingly enough.

Celestia saw the sextet enter and got straight to business, “Good. You all have arrived. I suppose I owe you all an explanation; I’m afraid the abridged version will have to do since we are hopelessly short on time. Luna, if you would?”

The younger sister nodded, “Certainly,” she cleared her throat, “We can explain more later, but here is what you need to know: My little ponies, Celestia and I are the daughters of King Mundus and Queen Stella,” This caused quite the stir, but everypony knew better than to interrupt Luna, “They created Equus one million years ago, and this world was to be Paradise. However, ‘twas not meant to be, for a malevolent entity known as the Dark Comet found our planet and crash landed shortly after. Our parents tried to fight it but were unsuccessful. In response, they sacrificed their lives to create the Elements of Harmony,” another round of gasps, “The Comet spreads evil and corruption wherever it goes, and that is what it has done here.

“The Changelings are the remnants of an ancient pony culture that fell to Dark Magic, while Sombra was the single most powerful wielder of the Dark Arts to have ever lived. I myself was… changed by it, as you all know. Discord himself” – the Draconequus waved at the mention of his name – “is a creature spawned from the Comet. However, he conquered his base nature and has helped us keep the Darkness at bay for over a millennia.

“I will be blunt. The reason why we have called you here is to help combat the greatest threat Equestria has ever faced. All the previous enemies we’ve fought were only agents of the Comet’s will. Their power paled in comparison to what we now stand against. All of the world’s Dark Energy is now consolidating into one physical form: Darkness Incarnate.”

The mood in the room was downright foreboding. The Mane Six, even Rainbow Dash and Applejack, looked ready to faint. Everypony else was sweating bullets. Celestia noticed this and tried to lift everypony’s spirits, “But don’t worry! We have the Elements and the Lightbringers. As long as we keep cool heads and focus, there is nothing we cannot overcome.”

Her words made everypony feel a little better, but not much. And certainly not enough. Twilight and co. didn’t even bother asking who or what the Lightbringers were.

To everypony’s surprise, it was Discord who spoke up next, “Listen up everypony! Now, I may not be an expert on motivational speeches like my friends Sun Butt and Woona here” – he quickly dodged two high-powered magic bolts – “But I can tell you one thing: if you fail, you’re doomed. It’s no secret I like chaos as much as the next pony, but for me, it’s all in good fun. Daddy Darkness, on the other hoof, doesn’t really like fun. Hates it, in fact. These guys we’ve faced over the years, their ambitions were small time, and they all failed. When the Darkness takes form, it will be very angry. Ponies… will die. We’re in the major leagues now, and you all have to be ready. Your world’s fate depends on it.”

After a few moments of silence, Twilight spoke up, “Well everypony, if Discord can take responsibility like that, then so can I. Girls, we’re the Elements of Harmony. We’ve defeated Equestria’s enemies three times now- we can do it again. So what if this Darkness Incarnate is a bit stronger than our previous foes? Friendship is the strongest magic of all. The Elements will see us through like they always have!” she finished, inspiring all those around her.

‘She really is a true leader,’ thought Celestia fondly, though secretly a bit miffed that Twilight had succeeded where she had failed.

“Now,” said Twilight, “It’s been killing me ever since you said it; what are the Lightbringers?”


Twilight was still brooding that she hadn’t gotten a full answer to that question, only that the Lightbringers were a secret order that helped fight the Darkness.

She thought cynically, ‘Where the hay were they when my friends and I had to fight Nightmare Moon, the Changelings or Sombra? Oh well…’

Discord had taken the liberty of teleporting everypony to a field roughly halfway between Canterlot and the Crystal Empire. This, as the Princesses had explained, was where Darkness Incarnate would arise.

And… they were correct.

As soon as the party had arrived, they saw what resembled a miniature black hole, that seemed to be sucking in black and purple energies from every direction.

Rainbow and Applejack were fidgeting, Pinkie Pie bounced around, cheerful as ever, Rarity was absentmindedly inspecting her hooves, Fluttershy was shivering like she was covered in ice, while Twilight had her game face on.

Celestia, Luna and… Discord, were busy barking orders at the Lightbringers. Preparing Light Magic, taking formation, etc.

Finally, Celestia addressed the six mares, “Listen closely my little ponies- it is of the utmost importance that you follow my directions to a tee. When the Darkness takes its form, it will be too powerful for the Elements of Harmony to defeat. The rest of us will work towards weakening and ensnaring the beast.

“When I give the signal, you are to then, and only then, unleash your Elements upon it. Do you understand?” They all nodded their assent, except for Rainbow Dash.

“What do we do until then? Just sit back and watch while ponies die? Discord did say ponies would—

“Yes, Rainbow Dash. You are to stay out of this fight until I say so. I-I am sorry, but if you will not do this willingly, I will have to command you.”

Everypony was stunned by this. The kind Princess had never given a command before; she could usually rely on her impressive diplomatic skills. However, there was no time. Equestria, no all of Equus was at stake.

“Y-yes Princess,” said Rainbow uncertainly. With that, the six proceeded to their assigned spots.


The following minutes seemed to drag on for an eternity. After about half an hour, something finally happened.

Energy stopped gathering towards the black mass and suddenly the whole world started to shake.

The sky turned jet-black. Thunder roared, yet there were no clouds.

In Manehattan, buildings came crashing down.

Near Appleloosa, the Buffalo shamans were saying the End of Days had come.

In Saddle Arabia, millions bowed down in prayer, hoping their God would save them.

Then the whole world cried out as one when they all heard the most wicked laugh imaginable.

Back on the field, everypony was scared out of their minds. They couldn’t see, they couldn’t feel, and they could hardly think. After two full minutes of this, it finally stopped.

And when light returned to the world… they saw it. Darkness Incarnate.

It was… surprisingly not that intimidating. Of course, everypony knew better then to underestimate the creature, but it was not easy.

Even though it was bipedal, it stood shorter than Luna, had fur(?) a shade of purple darker than Rarity’s mane, and was emitting a constant black aura. In place of eyebrows, it had two strands of flowing shadows pointing upwards, and the back of its head spiked up in three directions. And when it opened its eyes, they could see red eyes with black slits in the middle. All in all, nothing… too unusual.

It regarded all of them for a moment, before facing a certain Draconequus.

“Discord, what an utter failure you turned out to be. You will be the last to perish, I think.” Even its voice was far less intimidating than expected.

“Yes well, you really should blame yourself for that one. The Chaotic thing to do is the opposite of what’s expected, after all,” said Discord with a smirk. The creature was not amused.

Not bothering to dignify its ‘son’ with a response, Darkness Incarnate finally turned its attention towards the ponies, specifically Celestia and Luna.

It gave a small smile before saying, “You must be the daughters of Mundus and Stella. Their deaths were particularly amusing. Oh, how they tried to resist me for hours on end, only to fail. How pathetic.”

Luna was positively fuming, but Celestia would not be so easily goaded. “What are you, creature? You are not what we were expecting,” she asked, hoping to gain some information that may give them an upper hand.

A moment passed before the thing replied, “You may call me… Vice, for I am a monument to all of yours. Every time I arrive on a new planet, I plant my seed of corruption. Whenever one of you mortals commits an act of evil, my power grows. When you find that you are unable to defeat me, know that there is no one to blame but yourselves.”

Celestia was desperately trying to keep up her brave act. “You will not defeat us, Vice. Ponies have been fighting your agents for thousands of years, and have always succeeded. And with the Elements of Harmony in hoof, we will defeat you too."

Sin just stared at those assembled here. All willing to give their lives in service to their land. It made him laugh how noble they thought they were, when really, they were nothing.

He offered up a smile, and replied, “Well, then. Let’s get this show on the road, shall we?”

Author's Note:

I couldn't resist the Halo reference near the end :p