• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 748 Views, 4 Comments

The Dark Comet - ggs1995



When an Ancient Evil awakens, the Mane Six are thrown into a world that represents everything they stand against. Will they be able to conquer the deadly sins before the Darkness corrupts all of Equestria?

  • ...
1
 4
 748

Rise of a Nation

5,000 years ago

Darkness. That is all the young alicorn could see when she opened her eyes for the first time. “Mother? F-father? Are you there?” asked the small white alicorn. No sooner had she spoken when suddenly her mind was overwhelmed with a seemingly endless flood of memories.

‘Celestia. Dark Comet. Sin. Elements of Harmony. Kingdom of Equestria… Prepare.’

‘This… this must be my- no, our, destiny. Luna and I. To unite Equestria and one day fight the corrupting influence of the Darkness. Mother, Father, I know you’re still out there somewhere, and I know what I must do.’ Just as Celestia was finishing with her thoughts, another small form, this time a dark blue alicorn, began to stir.

And just as with her sister before, the young filly experienced the same memory transference spell. “Sister? Celestia? Are you here? I-I am scared…”

Celestia trotted over to her little sister. “It will be alright, little sister. You know what we must do, yes?” Luna nodded. “Good. I want you to know that I will always be there for you, to protect you. Do you understand?” The elder’s smile was kind and warm.

After a few seconds of silence, “Yes I do Celestia. And I am ready to carry out our parents’ orders. We will ensure these ponies do not fall victim to the Darkness,” said Luna, a strong conviction evident in her voice, to which Celestia could only

With that, the two sisters made their way out of the cave they had been sealed in for almost a million years. A few hours later, they finally made it out, and what they saw was in no way encouraging.

It was a frozen wasteland.

Celestia and Luna looked on in awe, frightened at what they were seeing. “What happened here?” asked both sisters in unison.

From the imprinted memories left behind by their parents, the part of Equus they were on was supposed to be a region of diverse climates- mountains, deserts, seas, grasslands, forests, etc. but there was only snow as far as the eye could see.

“You don’t think… the Darkness has already gotten to the ponies do you? Have we awoken on a dead planet?” asked Luna. It was certainly a discouraging thought.

“We can only hope that is not the case.” Even though she had her own worries and concerns, Celestia knew she must stay strong, for herself and for her sister. “Stay here Luna; I will scout out the land and see if there are any survivors.”

Celestia took flight, while Luna looked on with pride. ‘Tia is going to make a fantastic leader one day. I only hope the same holds true with me…’



Celestia was using her natural solar magic to keep warm in the blistering cold, which was only pronounced by her high altitude. ‘I don’t know how anypony could survive in this cold. Perhaps while we were asleep, the Darkness sent Equus into an eternal winter, and everypony has already frozen…’ she thought, worriedly.

She had been on the lookout for almost three hours now, and so far her search had bore no fruit. She was starting to give up all hope when suddenly, she heard a rather odd sound coming from a nearby cave. “Is that… crying?” she asked aloud.

And that’s when she saw them for the first time. Creatures of Darkness. The cause of her parents’ demise.

They appeared to be translucent, almost ethereal-looking ponies, or perhaps horses. Celestia could practically feel the evil magic stemming from these abominations. They were feeding off of negativity. ‘But wait, doesn’t that mean…?’

“There must be survivors- presumably in that cave. I have to go save them!” said Celestia with a sort of excited desperation. There was no doubt about it now- there were ponies, suffering ponies, in there.

“First things first. I need to find a way to warm them up. They must be suffering from severe frostbite in that cave.” Being the Ruler of the Sun, there was a simple, albeit temporary, solution to that particular problem.

She cast a Solar Barrier spell around the cave, which started melting all the ice in the vicinity. Of course, the monsters were not to happy about this, but even in her ‘infantile’ stage, Celestia was too powerful… for a time. She would need to make this quick.

The immediate problem now dealt with, Celestia now focused her attention on the noises coming from within the cave itself. Whereas before there was a miserable weeping emanating from its depths, now she could hear what sounded like confused whispering.

Before venturing inside, she sent a telepathic message to her sister instructing her to meet at this location post-haste.

As the filly descended into the cavern, the voices became steadily louder. And while her shield still held strong, the icy creatures’ assault was beginning to take its toll.

“Hello? Is anypony in here?” shouted Celestia, “I’m here to help!”

She heard a very faint voice in response, “i-in t-the circular r-room…”

Ponies! Real, live, ponies! In her… six hours of life Celestia had never been so thrilled, although the severity of the situation helped keep her enthusiasm in check.

“I will be right there, My little ponies! You shall fear the Darkness no longer with my aid,” proclaimed Celestia with a surprising amount of vigor for such a small pony.

Just as the alicorn was drawing close, she heard several excited voices saying, “Could it be true? Have the Gods answered our prayers at last? Is our salvation at hand?” Celestia could not wait to see the excited looks on these ponies faces when they realize their princess has arrived! …

Needless to say, that is not the reaction she received.

What she saw instead was six ponies, only three of them were frozen solid. The other three looked at her with disappointed eyes that showed they were expecting more.

The pegasus of the group spoke up, “Oh… hello little filly. Are you lost?”

“No, of course not! I’m here to announce my sister Luna and I’s coming regency, once we’ve taken care of the ice monsters of course,” replied Celestia with a genuine smile. The three older ponies could only stare at the filly, then at each other, before bursting out laughing.

“HAHAHA! Oh, that’s rich. The little white filly is going to save us all from the windigos,” laughed the earth pony, followed by further chuckling from her comrades.

“Listen, sweetie,” began the pegasus, barely holding back her mirth, “You are of course welcome to stay until the windigos get us all but, and don’t take this the wrong way, you are not going to stop them. If the grown-ups haven’t managed to do it in centuries, then neither can a foal.”

Celestia was beginning to feel disheartened. Had these so-called ‘windigos’ really twisted the ponies’ minds this much, that they could not even recognize the daughter of Mundus and Stella?

Unbeknownst to the four, another young filly had arrived and had seen the three mares mocking her sister. This did not sit well with her.

“How DARE thee! My sister saved you thankless whelps with her Solar Barrier, and ye have the audacity to ridicule her? That sudden wave of heat was all her doing,” exclaimed Luna, making her presence known.

And her older sister could not have been more proud. ‘She will make a fine leader one day, I just know it.’

“Wait… you managed a Solar Barrier spell? I thought them to be but a myth! Just who are you, young fillies?” asked the unicorn, speaking for the first time.

“Yes, I am indeed responsible. You see my ponies, to me it comes naturally. I am Celestia, Ruler of the Sun, and this is my sister Luna, Mistress of the Moon. We are the daughters of King Mundus and Queen Stella, the creators of this world.” Celestia let that one sink in for a moment.

Shock filled the faces of the three ponies, but unlike last time, there was no raucous laughter. Obviously, knowledge of the Divine Duo had somehow weathered the sands (or snow) of time.

“A bold claim you make, but seeing as how you managed such an impressive spell at your age, I’m inclined to believe it,” said the earth pony, “What do you make of this, Clover?”

“I believe it,” replied the unicorn instantly.

“Well, that was… quick. How can you be so sure?” asked the pegasus.

“It’s actually quite simple. Do you notice anything… different about these ponies Private Pansy? What about you, Smart Cookie? Besides the fact that their magical abilities are off the charts, and they speak with the sophistication of royalty.”

Private Pansy and Smart Cookie took a moment to really observe the fillies before them for the first time, and when they saw it, their eyes went wider than saucers.

“They’re… alicorns!” both exclaimed at the same time. “So those legends were true…”

“Indeed,” replied Clover. “One test, however, just to be certain.

“Young fillies, Celestia and Luna, we ponies have a prophecy that foretold your arrival. Tell me now; what is your mission here?”

The two sisters looked at one another, before Luna gestured for Celestia to speak. “After our Awakening, we are to unite all of ponykind under one banner, in order to protect them from the Darkness. Our parents gave their lives to give us this mission and create the Elements of Harmony, a—”

“Say no more, Celestia,” Clover interrupted, “It really is you. For centuries, the ponies of this land believed you and your sister would come, but… we had given up hope. Now that you’re really here, it will change everything! You can save us from the windigos and then dispose of our existing leadership. It is rather disgraceful I must say.” At this, the other two ponies nodded their heads vigorously.

Celestia was overwhelmed with what she had just heard. Would it really be that easy to gain their throne? Sure, her and Luna were not expecting war, but what was happening went beyond her expectations.

“I’m sorry, not to look a gift pony in the mouth, but that’s it? I was expecting at least some negotiations or… something!” said a bewildered Celestia.

“Normally you would be correct in that assumption,” said Clover with a nod, “But there are two very important details you would not be privy to, having just awoken and whatnot. Pansy and Cookie, if you two would?”

“Of course,” said Pansy, “You see, ponykind has been on its last leg for decades now. We, as a people, have not experienced comfort, happiness or anything positive since long before I was born. We are scattered, living miserable lives in the harsh caves of this land. We are… desperate for hope. Your presence here is the first sign we’ve had in years that maybe there will be a brighter tomorrow. For this reason, we, as the last semblance of leadership our people have, would be honored to have you as our diarchs.”

“And the other thing,” began Cookie, “Is that after all these years of petty leadership and open hatred, none of us are too keen on taking up the mantle. In fact, none of us even thought we would survive. These were to be the final years for our species. So… if you can save us, you’re welcome to the throne. We can convince the survivors to support you so long as you promise to keep everypony’s best interests at heart.”

Celestia and Luna had no idea how dire things truly were for these ponies. Their lives were filled with misery and desolation, the opposite of what their parents had so desired. When they spoke, it was in unison, “We solemnly swear to uphold the virtues and justice that all ponies deserve,” then Celestia alone, “We will serve not only as your leaders, but as your friends,” and finally Luna, “And any threat we may face, we will face it together. So long as there is one pony who believes in harmony, then there is no obstacle we cannot overcome together.”

“Hail!”

“So it shall be!”

“We will survive!”

The cheers of their very first subjects were the most wonderful things to ever grace the sisters’ ears. As the cheering finally died down, they all felt something…

The strain on Celestia’s Solar Barrier began to weaken. She could sense it, the unity and friendship she had just forged with these new ponies was driving the windigos away.

All of a sudden, a giant pink heart formed over all those present.

“My ponies, my… friends, this heart is the Fire of Friendship. It is a magical representation of all we can accomplish if we learn to love and care for one another. As we speak, the Fire is dispelling the windigos once and for all. I did not even have to do anything; it was the spark of friendship that lies within us all,” explained a smiling Celestia to the joy of the three mares.

Everypony spent the next few hours waiting for all the snow across the land to melt away. They shared stories, told jokes, and learned how to truly see each other as friends. ‘For if we are to survive, we must all learn this.’ Thought Celestia, grimly.

Some time later, the three other figures who had been frozen the whole time began to thaw. Clover mentioned their names were Princess Platinum, Commander Hurricane and Chancellor Puddinghead. Everypony shared a few chuckles at that last name.

When they came to, to everypony’s surprise, they seemed genuinely pleasant and willing to try getting along with each other. It was almost as if these three hadn’t spent their entire lives quarelling with each other. They had been conscious while frozen; they heard and saw everything.

The next few days were spent in preparation for the new Princesses’ coronation. Everypony was thrilled at the idea of the alicorns leading them to a good future, some even began worshipping the two as their gods.

On the day of the coronation, Celestia and Luna were reflecting on recent events, “Sister, this has all been wonderful. But it has been too easy. The windigos, it would seem, are the weakest of the Darkness’s forces. And these ponies were only so welcoming to us because of their long time spent suffering. I am nervous about what may happen. Will our ponies grow tired of our rule? Will the Darkness send an enemy that is too powerful? What about—

“Celestia, get ahold of yourself! We are the children of Mundus and Stella. They entrusted us with this mission and we shan’t fail them. Once the Elements of Harmony are in our possession, nothing the Darkness can throw at us will be enough. Now, let us go. It is time for us to claim our rightful throne.”

Despite her sister’s reassuring words, Celestia could still not shake the feeling of doubt. The rest of their victories would surely not be as simple as this one…


“Ponies, formerly of Pegasopolis, Unicornia and… Earth, we are gathered here today to usher in a new age for our people. One free of the burdens that plagued us in the past. We will be a kingdom united, bound to our Princesses so long as they may live. And they, in turn, will help guide us towards the Paradise ponies have so long desired. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, are you prepared to speak your vows?” asked Clover the Clever, whom it was decided would act as an advisor and magical mentor to the young diarchs.

“Yes, we are ready.”

“Very well, then we shall begin. First, Princess Luna. Repeat after me: I, Princess, Luna, Daughter of King Mundus and Queen Stella…

And so on and so forth.

At last, Clover spoke the final words, “Then it is done. Ponies of this new land, I present to you:

“Princess Luna, Artemis, Bringer of the Night, Mistress of the Moon.

“Princess Celestia, Phanes, Herald of the Day, Ruler of the Sun.

“Newly appointed diarchs of the Kingdom of Equestria!”

And so began the long rule of the immortal Princesses. For millennia, things were perfect. No conflict, and peace reigned supreme across the land. The Elements of Harmony were not even needed. It was not until roughly 3,500 years later that an old foe decided to once again rear its ugly head…


“Sister, have you felt—

“Yes, Luna, I fear the Darkness has tired of this long waiting game and wishes to finally test the might of Equestria,” replied a determined-looking Celestia.

Luna’s face was covered in worry, “Are we ready for it? Who knows what monstrosity it will send our way. After such a long period of inactivity, surely this next attempt will trump the last?”

Celestia merely smiled at her sister’s concern, “I’m disappointed in you Luna. You seem to be forgetting our secret weapon.” The elder sister let that one sink in for a moment.

Suddenly, Luna’s face lit up like a Hearth’s Warming Eve Tree. “Of course! How could I be so dense. The Lightbringers…”

“Exactly.”


Several weeks later, it was time for Celestia’s bi-monthly address to the various factions, guilds and noble houses who sought her attention on a daily basis. She had to travel all the way from her castle in the Everfree Forest to the Capital, Canterlot. ‘We really must change that one day. Why did we build the castle away from the capital city in the first place?’ thought Celestia idly.

Normally, she could give or take with these addresses. On the one hoof, it was important her and her sister keep up to date on current events, and every once in a while, a brilliant idea would be proposed. On the other, there was the thrice-damned bickering. Oh, how she loathed it so.

On this day, however, there would be no petty politicking.

“Greetings, Our little ponies. We are afraid that this address is not a pleasant one. An old enemy is threatening Equestria. We will be blunt, this is a national crisis,” already she could hear the panic setting in, “But fear not! Upon taking Our throne, We swore to protect this land and everypony in it. We swear to you all, you shall not come to harm, so long as you do as instructed.”

The air was still thick with tension, but Celestia knew her subjects would listen to her. Such were the perks of running (as some of the more cynical ponies called it) a benevolent dictatorship.

“The enemy feeds off of negativity. Every time somepony acts selfish or cruel, it grows stronger. We cannot divulge any further information at this time, but We must ask that everypony, please, maintain the harmony that makes Equestria the most wonderful nation on Equus. So long as you do that, We promise your safety. Now, We apologize, but due to the urgency of this matter, Our monthly address must be cut short. Fare thee well, Our little ponies.”

Loud cries filled the room as Celestia made her exit. She hated to ignore her subjects, especially when she just dropped a proverbial bomb on them, but there was no time for games. The Darkness grew stronger by the minute.

When she arrived back at the Castle of the Two Sisters, she made her way to the Forbidden Wing. Here, among other things, is where she would find the aforementioned “secret weapon”.

Lux Invicta, or “Unconquered Light” in the modern tongue, commonly known to the sisters and its members as the Lightbringers, were a secret order established shortly after the founding of the Kingdom.

Their sole purpose: to combat the Darkness when it finally arrived. They had remained inactive yet vigilant for thousands of years, quietly perfecting their particular brand of Light Magic. Now was the time to act.

“Commander North Star,” greeted Celestia cordially.

“Your Majesty.” North Star gave a reverent bow, “Our forces are ready. In fact, I would say we’ve never been better. We are yours to command.”

Celestia gave a firm nod, “Luna has been keeping you briefed on the situation, correct?” she asked.

“Yes, ma’am,” he replied, “Largest concentration of Dark Magic since pre-historic Equestria, of the Chaotic variety, causing arcane disruptions all across the Everfree Forest.”

“Precisely. You are aware that, should all else fail, we will have to use the Elements of Harmony, correct?” This question caused even the tough-as-nails Commander to flinch.

“Y-yes ma’am, though I am sure it will not come to that,” was the half-hearted response.

Celestia noted his shift in expression, “Worry is unbecoming of you North Star, but we shall see. So long as the Lightbringers perform their duties, all should go well.”

“Of course. We have total faith in you, Your Majesty,” replied the real North Star, the one Celestia knew and respected greatly.

Satisfied with the conversation, “Very good. Now, let’s mobilize the troops.”


Exactly one month after they had first felt the disturbance, the Princesses, a Legion of Elite Royal Guards, and the Lightbringers were all gathered in the middle of the Everfree Forest, an extremely dangerous area and the epicenter of the Darkness.

“Get ready everypony!” boomed the Sisters in the Royal Canterlot Voice, “the enemy will be upon us shortly.” First Celestia, “You all know what you fight for, for freedom, peace love,” then Luna, “For Equestria!”

A thunderous applause filled the air as the morale of those present skyrocketed—

When suddenly, all the Chaos Magic in the entire forest, if not the country, consolidated into one spot. It began to take form as a…

Draconequus?

“Exactly! Hello there, My Little Ponies! How are you all doing on this fine day? Before you ask, I’m doing splendid, thanks for asking! Now wasn’t I supposed to be doing something? Fighting with two Princesses? That sounds boring. Maybe later. Hey, you there in the front, that’s a dashing suit of ar—
“Silence!” shouted Luna in her loudest voice yet, “Speak sense creature! We know you are a being of Darkness, and you shall not corrupt this land we have worked so hard to build!”

“Sense? What fun is there in m- actually, you know what? I think I’ll save that line for… I don’t know, 1,500 years from now maybe. Or not. I don’t know. Anywho, to answer your other query: greetings, one and all, I am Discord, Spirit of Chaos, Disharmony and Cheese! Wait, scratch that last one, that’s a friend of mine. Now, I know what you’re all thinking, and you know what I say? Destiny can go take a hike. In fact…” With that, Discord somehow pulled the word ‘Destiny’ out of nowhere, gave it hikers’ clothes, and sent it on its merry way.

Don’t ask.

“So I know we’re supposed to fight and everything but… I don’t really want to. Papa Dark Comet wants me to mess with you ponies, but I am the embodiment of Chaos. Kind of shot himself in the proverbial foot with that one, since doing what I’m supposed to isn’t really my thing. So I propose a deal, are you willing to hear it?”

Everypony present was shocked, to say the least. This was… not going as expected. No response was given as thoughts were being collected.

“Take your time, I’m in no hurry. I am immortal after all.” Discord snapped his finger and what would later be referred to as a ‘couch’ popped out of nowhere, and he sat down on it, whistling a nice tune all the while.

Finally, the eldest Princess was able to offer a one word answer, “Speak.”

Discord woke up from his five-second long nap and immediately started in, “Wonderful! This is so much better then fighting if you ask me. Now, the Darkness will be… less than pleased with my defection, but I’m making you an offer here you can’t refuse. I will help defend your precious Equestria, and in exchange, you offer me a place to stay in the Castle with my own monkey butler, and a license to commit small-scale, harmless chaos whenever I please. Are these terms acceptable?” asked Discord, turning his face into that of an adorable puppy dog.

Despite the… oddness of the situation, Celestia and Luna came to a mutual response quickly, with Luna taking the initiative this time, “We… tentatively accept your terms, Discord. So long as you keep up your end of the bargain, we will honor ours.”

Discord was practically beaming at this point. “Terrific! Oh, I just know we’ll all become the best of friends.”

Somehow, the thought made both sisters nauseous.