• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 1,992 Views, 48 Comments

The Crimson Sunrise - a fan-written alternate ending to 'Background Pony' - Malckeor



Lyra Heartstrings has reached her penultimate destination, but will she be able to move on from here without getting caught in the abyss?

  • ...
4
 48
 1,992

I - Lost

Author's Note:

This is an alternate ending to "Background Pony" by ShortSkirtsandExplosions. I STRONGLY advise that you NOT read this unless you've read the source material all the way through; this drops you in about halfway through the 19th chapter. Not only will you be completely lost, but refusing to honor the source material would be a mean thing to do, you meanie. You must always honor the source material. The source material is important.

For those who've already read the original and have come across this: I hope you enjoy it. I live to please.

(Picture courtesy of NetTrip on DeviantArt.)

The violet veil faded around me to reveal a morning Ponyville. Luna's tent was nowhere to be seen. I slumped to the grass, my tears trickling onto the holy instrument that I held close. Since my curse began, I was aware of the scenario that I'd never lay my eyes on my home again, that I would never again be privileged to have an actual relationship with Twilight, Moondancer, or anypony else in this world. That morning, on the northeast side of Ponyville, I grieved for Aria; for all other souls touched by this cursed song, as well as myself.

I sulked in the grass for Goddess knows how long. A few ponies may have stopped in a futile attempt to help, but I wasn't in a state to acknowledge or recall them. I was lost.

Some time later, I was back in my cabin, staring at the ceiling as Al tried to soothe me with his purrs. The morning sunlight leaked through the windows. I had no recollection of my trek home, nor any idea how many hours or days had gone by since I met with Luna on Nightmare Night. My memory was already getting worse, and I didn't have the will to perform Twilight's Requiem.

"I-I'm lost, Al," I said to the only real friend I'd had throughout those months. "I can't...Wh-why does it have to be like this?" More tears streamed down my cheeks. "Everything feels so wrong..."

Al uncurled and nuzzled my nose, his whiskers tickling the tears away. I couldn't help but smile. "I don't know what to do, buddy," I began while stroking his orange coat. "Aria... She finally spoke to me, and..." I closed my eyes. "It feels like I've done all this for nothing."

He nuzzled me again. "She told me that I can become one of the chained and join her choir as other lost ones h-have, or..." I gulped. "Or play all 10 elegies in her pr-presence, lifting the curse at the cost of unlearning everything, and h-history writing me out of all the events I involved myself with while cursed..." I thought of Dinky's flute, Scootaloo's rescue, Discord...

I held him closer as my vision blurred again. "Al, h-how can one make such a choice? Eternal imprisonment, or s-selfishly dooming Equestria to chaos and giving up who I've become?? With the slim chance that I'd survive and move beyond the stubborn city pony I was before all this began?! Should...should I just keep living and let the curse take my memories peacefully? Forget Aria and her choices and just move on?" I buried my eyes in Al's coat as he meowed and nuzzled my ear. "I-is there a chance, any chance, that Twilight and her friends would be able to defeat Discord without my involvement? Could I h-have missed something? I just... I want my life back, Al! I want Twilight and Moondancer to recognize me! I want to be able to go back home to my mother! I..."

There was a knock on the door. It was morning, which meant...

"Uhm, hello? Everythin' alright in there? I heard some yellin'."

I looked up from Al's coat. He was still nuzzling me, oblivious to the voice on the other side of the door. My degenerating mind recalled a certain earth pony who was always willing to lend a helping hoof, but it was all jumbled. I grabbed the Nightbringer and played through the opening chords of Twilight's Requiem as fast as my magic would let me.

"I'm sorry, am I intrudin'? I'll just continue on if-"

I opened the door. I remembered. Applejack stood before me with two filled apple baskets on her sides. She wore a plain brown scarf that fluttered in the wind, the same she wore a year ago. Or at least, I thought it was a year ago.

"Howdy there..." Her voice lowered to a soothing tone as she tipped her hat. "Forgive me if I'm pryin', but are you alright? I heard quite the commotion." Her eyes shone in the morning sun, reflecting a defeated mint-green unicorn with a disheveled mane.

"Y-you're not prying, don't worry. I'm just..." I glanced back to see Al plopping down from the cot. "I'm just... I-I'm... I feel lost." Another tear rolled down my cheek. "I feel so lost..."

She took a step closer and smiled. "Ma'am, I may not know the full extent of your troubles, but I do know that Equestria contains plenty of opportunity for anypony to find themselves. Heck, this here town of Ponyville would be a mighty fine place for you to start!"

Applejack's optimism was more than welcome, no matter how empty it was to my curse. "Th-thank you, but... it's n-nothing like that. There's a choice I have to make, and it feels like... No matter what I c-can do, I would be lost. I..." There was a lump in my throat. I wept harder as my voice trailed off.

"Hey there, sugarcube." She put a hoof on my shoulder. "Maybe you're overthinkin' things? I'm sure you'll turn out alright no matter what you do. You seem pretty well situated here if I do say so myself."

I closed my eyes. "Y-you don't understand-"

"I don't have to understand nothin' to know you'll be just fine." She looked down at Al. "And heck, you'll always have a friend or two to lean on when the going gets tough!"

After a pause, I smiled and at last wiped my eyes. In that moment, after everything I'd been through that morning, I went against all of the guidelines I'd established while speaking with ponies throughout those months; my hooves were around Applejack in a hug.

"Whoa there," she said with a slight jump. I let go before long. She chuckled and brushed off my impulsive gesture. "I'm Applejack, by the way. I walk the same path every mornin' and can't seem to recall havin' ever run into you here before. It's like this cabin sprouted up overnight!"

I sniffled. "It's okay. I'm not usually this noisy. My name's Lyra. Lyra Heartstrings."

"Well, Miss Heartstrings," Applejack began. "You could tag along for some fresh-baked bread back at the farm, if you'd like. I figure we'd best be gettin' to know you seein' as we're practically neighbors and all. We Apple folk own Sweet Apple Acres just a short way's away, if ya couldn't guess." She made a gesture towards the two apple baskets.

"I appreciate the offer, Applejack," I replied. "But there's something I need to run to town for in relation to this choice I've yet to make. Your words have inspired me."

"Aw shucks!" She blushed and ran a hoof through her mane. "It was nothin'! I'm just glad you're feelin' better is all."

I chuckled. "I'll have to take you up on that bread offer some other time."

"Of course, sugarcube! Just gimme a holler whenever I'm passin' by. I'll remember."

My smile remained. "I will, and just one more thing. What's today's date?"

She rose an eyebrow and paused before replying. "Uhh... November the second."

I stroked one of my temples. "Ah, that's right. Nightmare Night was just two days ago. How silly of me," I said, feigning ignorance.

"Funny you should mention..." Her eyebrow was still raised. "Princess Luna was in town these past few days."

"Princess Luna was here? Really?"

She blinked. "You sure you're alright? Everypony around these parts knows about her visit. You're not losin' time or anything, are ya?"

I bit my lip. "Y-Yes, I'm fine. Thank you again for your kind words, Applejack. I'll be sure to take you up on that bread offer."

Her eyebrow descended. "Well, alrighty. Just gimme a shout whenever you're feelin' up to it! See ya soon!"

"Yes." My smile remained as warm as it could. "Goodbye, Applejack." I shut the door and held a hoof on the doorknob. For a few precious moments, I forgot about the hopelessness of my situation. Applejack became that same concerned sister I'd never had, when she found my fresh-cursed self afraid and starving in this very spot. Now, over a year later, she saved me again by pulling me out of the blind spell that Aria's words had left me in. No matter what awaited me at the end of this journey, there was one last sane day for me to live.

I filled Al's food bowl to the brim as a safety measure; I'd hoped to return by that afternoon. I grabbed my lyre and placed the Nightbringer in its chamber before putting on Rarity's glistening red sweater, along with the scarf she'd given me months ago. I was doing a rush-job on my mane when a chill went through me. Applejack was now stopping in her tracks, looking around dumbfounded without a thought of the unicorn she'd just saved for the last time.

They're each a song.

I crouched down next to Al. "I'll be back soon, buddy." He looked at me while standing over his food bowl. "Whatever happens next, a part of me will die in some form. I need to see them all one last time. Before that happens." I nuzzled my tabby friend close and kissed him between his amber eyes. He meowed at me, and I giggled. "See you soon, little guy." I stepped into the morning light and broke into a gallop.