• Published 8th Sep 2014
  • 1,991 Views, 48 Comments

The Crimson Sunrise - a fan-written alternate ending to 'Background Pony' - Malckeor



Lyra Heartstrings has reached her penultimate destination, but will she be able to move on from here without getting caught in the abyss?

  • ...
4
 48
 1,991

II - The Last Day

The center of town was just ahead, but I was at a loss. Why was I going there? Was I going there? Why did I have on Rarity's fancy sweater instead of my hoodie?

Dinky's flute sounded in the distance, producing a practiced and beautiful melody. I had used my own bits to purchase that flute for her some months ago; I remembered that, but I couldn't recall what I was doing now...

I pulled out my lyre and began playing Twilight's Requiem. I had lost my hoodie a few days ago during Nightmare Night after speaking with Princess Luna. Was I there to look for it? No, that didn't seem right. I remembered speaking with Applejack. I was lost after Aria...

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but I fought them as the Requiem filled the air with Dinky's flute. Applejack told me that I'd be just fine, and then I fed Al, and... One last time...

"Miss? Are you alright? You look as though you've lost your way."

Her voice made me gasp. A familiar earth pony with a beige coat and three pieces of candy for a cutie mark had approached me. I stared at her through the messy strands of my mane, still strumming Twilight's Requiem as my heart rate increased.

She smiled. "That's quite a lovely tune you're playing. Are you taking-"

I turned away and started moving. "C'mon, Lyra. You almost had it. You're not here to find your old hoodie, or to reminisce on a stranger's selfless acts of kindness from months ago. You're here for one last time..." I closed my eyes and listened. "I need to see them all one last time."

Just then, it hit me. I was headed for the Carousel Boutique.





















"Hold still, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity said while levitating a tape measure. "Honestly, at this rate we'll never be ready for the pageant!"

Rainbow Dash stood in front of a mirror, posing in what looked like an unpainted Pegasus Commander uniform. Lightning was emblazoned on the chest area, and there was a slight indent on top of the helm where Rarity was trying to measure.

"Relax, miss Impatient!" began Rainbow. "You have almost two months to finish these! Just let the star admire herself for a minute!" She flexed her wings and entered a combat stance, again offsetting Rarity's measurement. "Commander Hurricane, the leader of the Pegasi before the founding of Equestria. How awesome is that? The role's perfect for me!"

Rarity let out a sigh and adjusted her orange glasses. "Yes, dear, of course it's perfect for you. Twilight said that Princess Celestia specifically chose us to star in this pageant. It comes as no surprise that you and Fluttershy would portray the pegasus characters, considering you're the only pegasi out of all of us!" She turned towards Fluttershy. "I mean no offense to you, darling. I admire that you know how to cooperate while getting costume measurements done, unlike some ponies..."

Fluttershy smiled. She wore what seemed to be an unpainted Pegasus Private uniform. The headpiece's metal brim shone in the light, with a matching lightning bolt on the front.

I didn't expect both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy to be here in addition to Rarity. I'd planned to be back at the cabin in time to catch Rainbow on her collision for the day. With how fast my grip on reality was slipping, I was luckier than I'd ever been.

They're each a separate song.

"Now please, Rainbow Dash," Rarity continued, once again levitating her tape measure. "These need to be finished by the end of this week. I require much more time to focus on the other four. Pinkie's costume in particular is-"

"Umm, Rarity?" Fluttershy said, almost whispering. "I'm sorry for interrupting, but you seem to have a customer."

"Oh, excuse me!" Rarity glanced towards me while taking her measurement. "I didn't see you there! Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique, and magnifique! I'm terribly sorry, but I'm all booked up for the time being. You can write your order in the booklet to your right, but I won't be able to make my services available to you for quite some time."

Rarity was so caught up in her work that she didn't seem to notice my mess of a mane. I was impressed. "Don't worry, I'm not here to make an order. I assume you're this Miss Rarity I've been hearing about? Ponies around have said you're quite the artist when it comes to fashion."

She had marked her measurement and was now stepping towards me. "Really? Well, I guess being one of the holders of the Elements of Harmony helps one's name to spread around, ehehe..."

"Are you kidding, Rarity?" Rainbow Dash said. "Do you see this helmet? This awesome lightning on the front of my vest? And it's not even finished yet! You're almost as good at making costumes and fashion stuff as I am at flying! Ponies don't know my name just because I'm the Element of Loyalty..."

I snickered. Rarity rolled her eyes. "While unsubtle, Rainbow, you've certainly made your point. Thank you." She turned back towards me. "Moving on, what brings you here, Miss..."

"Heartstrings," I said in practiced enunciation.

"Miss Heartstrings. What can I do for you? You say you're not here to make an order?" Rainbow Dash went back to posing in the mirror, and Fluttershy continued listening to our conversation from a distance.

"Correct," I replied. "I'm here to make an exchange, you could say." I levitated the scarf off my neck and removed the beautiful red sweater that this very mare had made for me months ago, all the while trying not to shiver. "I have a feeling you'd be able to make use of these."

Rarity's eyes widened as she moved close to inspect the sweater. "Why, this is an impressive piece of craft! The red color has a beautiful shine in the light, and these amber beads are quite the touch! They match your eyes, Miss Heartstrings!" She levitated the sweater, inspecting every angle. "Why, it practically screams 'Hearth's Warming!' If I weren't mistaken, I'd say you had this custom made! May I ask who you went to?"

"Heh, well..." I paused. "A very generous pony made this for me some time ago. I think she's since moved to Canterlot."

"I'll have to keep an eye out when we're in the city for the pageant! This sweater is simply divine!" She looked closer. "Although I do see a few areas where it can be improved. While part of me doesn't like touching other ponies' work, I do always strive to be sure that my clients look as good as they possibly can! I could fix this up for you, Miss Heartstrings! That is, when I'm not this booked."

"Thank you," I said. "But I think it's time for me to part ways with it, and this scarf." I motioned towards the yellow scarf that lay beneath the levitated sweater.

Rarity tilted her head. "I'm afraid I don't fully understand. You're giving these to me? Miss Heartstrings, I-I can't possibly accept-"

"Rarity, please. They're yours. You're not the only one who gets to be generous around here." I smirked.

She took a few glances between the sweater and me. "I..."

"Wow! This Miss Heartstrings has you upstaged, Rarity! What a score!" Rainbow Dash had moved closer to us from the mirror. Fluttershy was still at a moderate distance.

"Not now, Rainbow." Rarity stood her ground. "Miss Heartstrings, if you're this adamant about giving these away, there are other ponies in Equestria who can get better use out of them than me. I can recommend several charities for you to consider. Just give me a moment."

I giggled. There was only one way to do this right. "Please, call me Lyra. And no, these belong to the amazing pony who crafted them. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them to anypony else."

She blinked. "But you just..." Her mouth was agape with a loss for words. "I-I've never seen you before in my life, Miss Lyra! I didn't..." Her voice trailed off.

Rainbow Dash looked just as baffled. "Did you hit your head on the way in, or something? You just said somepony else from Canterlot made these for you."

I wanted to have a normal conversation with them one last time, no matter how brief. That conversation was now over. "I've actually met with you all several times in the past year and a half." I chuckled before continuing. "Rainbow Dash. Months ago, you helped me clear out an area for the place of residence that I've had all these blessed, confined months. I paid you fifty bits to tear down that old barn..."

"Uhh, I think your horn might be on too tight." She adjusted her helmet.

I smiled as a warm tear ran down my cheek. "More recently, I went on a trek to find Scootaloo after that teleportation accident only to collapse from cold and fatigue short after grabbing her. The strong kiddo dragged me to a granite clearing before you and Cloudkicker-"

"Whoah whoah WHOAH! That's enough!" She took off the helm and moved closer. "I've never seen you before in my life, and I sure as heck didn't see you anywhere near Scootaloo when we found her! Have you lost it?"

"Hehe." All three ponies kept gazing at me in befuddlement. "What I want to say is, thank you. All of you." I sniffled. "Thank you, Fluttershy, for helping me take care of my cat months ago when I came to you for advice. Th-thank you for always lighting up my day with how sweetly you treat everpony." I closed my eyes as more tears began flooding out. My naked body could no longer resist the shivers. "Thank you, Rarity, for your beautiful s-selfless gifts to me, and for the talks we had in Sugarcube Corner and... Everywhere, really." I looked back at Rainbow Dash. "Th-thank you for saving my life, even if you weren't conscious of it. Thank you all s-so much." I sniffled. "For everything."

"Um... I'm sorry, miss, but who are you?" Fluttershy squeaked. "I didn't see you standing there."

Rarity glanced an even more baffled look at Fluttershy. "This Lyra has been here for the past five minutes, darling. You called to me when she entered..."

I bowed my head as a cool breeze began to settle. My time was up. "No m-matter what happens, please don't any of you ever change." I sniffled. "Goodbye." I turned away from where the sweater and scarf rested; away from three confused ponies who I'm sure wanted to call to Nurse Redheart.

"Miss Lyra, wait! What-" I heard Rarity call to me as I opened the door and returned to the cool Ponyville air. A strong chill went through me, the noon sunlight doing little against it. The three ponies I'd just spoken to were gone, as I soon would be.

Part of me wanted to stop right there; go back to the cabin and wait for the curse to wipe out my memories of this beautiful town. But as much as it hurt, this was a privilege I couldn't miss. I planned to present my choice to Aria that night, to let the curse consume me in whatever way I saw fit.

They're each a unique song.

I sniffled, strumming Twilight's Requiem once again as I moved towards the cake-topped bakery in the distance.




















"Good afternoon, miss!" a harmonious voice called out. "Are you new in town?"

"Mmm, yes and..." I paused, glancing around with a hoof against my forehead. Have I done this before?

Mrs. Cake tilted her head before smiling over her concern. "You look as though you could use some tea. Please, take a seat! I'll be right with you."

I aimlessly sat down, strumming more of Twilight's Requiem on my lyre. I stopped, however, when a familiar flute sounded off from the other side of the bakery. Dinky sat with her eyes closed in a serene grace, playing to the foals and parents who sat around her. A proud Derpy looked on from a distance, smiling warmer than Celestia's sun. Her lazy eye shed a single tear. I smiled myself, shivering at my lone table. Dinky was a true protégé. In just a few months, she was producing renditions that I myself wouldn't have been capable of at her age. She could be recognized among the likes of great musicians such as Octavia and Sapphire Shores years down the line, but I wouldn't be around to see it.

Her performance wrapped up, and the little filly was met with applause. She bowed and returned to her mother's side who wrapped her in a cheerful embrace.

"Isn't that something?"

I jumped and turned to once again see Mrs. Cake. She held a cup of tea.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she said. "I didn't mean to startle you!"

"Hehe, no worries," I said before reverting my gaze. "She's quite the musician."

"She is, isn't she? Her mother must be so proud. I myself haven't gotten there just yet." She snickered, moving her eyes to a picture of two diapered foals. "Sugarcube Corner is brighter every weekend Derpy and little Dinky are present. I just know we're in the right place when loving ponies like those two come and visit. Ponyville is where we Cakes belong, although my husband might have a thing or two to say." She chuckled.

I let out a snicker. "I know the feeling. I'll be staying here for the foreseeable future myself. This is such a blessed town I've found."

"Oh! Are you new to Ponyville?"

"Mmm, yes and no," I replied. "Pardon me for changing the subject, but is that a cup of herbal tea you're carrying?"

She looked at the cup in her hoof. "Why, yes it is. I swear I'm getting senile. I can't seem to remember who ordered it..."

"Hmm." I smiled. "Tea does sound good right about now."

She glanced at the cup a moment longer. "Well, nothing's ringing a bell, and I can't let this go to waste. One bit would suffice! Do you want it?"

"Sure," I nodded. "If that's okay."

"It's fine! Here you go." She placed the cup on my table and I passed her a bit.

"Thank you!" I took a sip. "Excuse me again for keeping you occupied, but is there a Miss Pinkie Pie around? She's a distant friend of mine, and I wanted to surprise her with a visit."

"Don't worry! Today's not busy. It's good to have somepony to talk to," she replied. "Pinkie Pie is in the back taking care of an order. You won't believe it; Princess Luna herself was here yesterday, and after trying one of our cupcakes, she ordered two hundred of them for pick-up! It was as if she'd never had a cupcake before!"

"Wow." I snickered. "I keep hearing everypony speak of Luna's visit. She was here for Nightmare Night, I presume?"

"For our celebration, yes. Her visit was unannounced and unexpected. The event was a bit shaky at first, but it'll definitely be a Nightmare Night to remember." She looked to the children and smiled. "Our local librarian Twilight Sparkle invited her to stay the next day, and their first stop was here, Sugarcube Corner. That was the busiest morning we've ever had..."

I took one last sip of my tea. "Well, I sure missed out! Hopefully she'll be back next year."

"Yes, hopefully. Princess visits are always good for business!" She laughed. "Anyway, Pinkie Pie will be on break in about an hour if you want to wait."

I put a hoof on my chin. "Hmm... Two hundred cupcakes. That does sound like a lot of baking to be done. Do you think she could use a helping hoof?"

She chuckled. "Sounds like you two didn't know each other all that well! Pinkie treats baking like she treats party planning: as an art form. She'll be done in no time, don't you worry."

"Still, though," I began. "Two ponies in the kitchen would be better than one. Would you allow me to lend her a hoof for a little while? I've got a bit of baking knowledge myself, and we've done this many times in the dozens." I recalled a time long ago when Pinkie found a certain mad pony rummaging through a trash can. "We could have the order done in no time."

Mrs. Cake ran a hoof through her mane. "Well, Pinkie has pulled several different ponies into the kitchen since she started working here whom I've been completely unfamiliar with, and nothing too major has gone wrong besides that one time-"

"Then it's decided!" I said. "To the kitchen!" I grabbed my bag and trotted past Mrs. Cake.

"Uhh, miss-"

"And thank you for the tea!" A chill went through my body.



















"3...2...1...DING!" A hyperactive voice imitated the oven's timer. "Another batch done! So that's 82, 83, 84..." Pinkie Pie glanced over every cupcake before speaking again. "103! More than HALFWAY THERE! You've got this, Pinkie! You've got this!" She froze to a halt when she saw me.

"Umm... Hi!" I waved an awkward hoof. "Mrs. Cake sent-"

"Less talking and more frosting, Minty Green!" She pointed to dozens of other cupcakes on the counter. "Alternate between dark blue and purple! These are for the princess! Of the night!" Two tubes of frosting came flying my way.

"Got it!" I said while moving towards the counter. "How long have you been back here, Pinkie?" There were several stacked cake boxes strewn about with iced cupcakes inside, and the kitchen looked quite rummaged.

Pinkie Pie zipped to the fridge and grabbed a few eggs before zipping back to the counter. "Just since the sun came up! Mrs. Cake said it was a bad idea, but look at all of this...CAKE to show for it!" She cracked the eggs and began mixing. "I debated between vanilla with blue-and-black funfetti and just plain chocolate for the longest time, and eventually decided on BOTH!"

I levitated the purple tube to another cake. "Sounds like you made the right choice! I'm sure Luna will enjoy every bite."

"Oh, she will!" Pinkie said. "The key, young Mintyfresh, is to think of the pony you're baking for! I did this, and decided to match Luna's color with the cake and icing!" She jumped a few times. "Didja notice?!"

I was smiling brighter than I had in weeks. "Yes, Pinkie. I noticed. They look fantastic!" I brought up the dark blue tube. "My name is Lyra, by the way."

"Heartstrings?" I couldn't bring myself to interrupt. "Because if your name was 'Cheesetrings', then why would you look like you haven't had anything to eat in a while?"

She had a point. Right here, in the middle of all these cupcakes, I realized I couldn't remember the last time I'd eaten. My body was still functioning, though, so I doubt it was as long as I'd imagined.

"Go ahead, Mintbreath!" I jumped. "You can have one!"

I glanced at the cupcakes and then back to the smiling big-eyed face that was now right in front of me. "I can't, Pinkie. You've worked so hard on these. I wouldn't feel-"

"Oh, don't worry!" She put a hoof around me. "We can replace just one in no time, and I won't tell the Cakes! Pinkie promise!" She crossed her heart and put a cupcake to her eye.

I lowered my head. "Pinkie, I-"

"We aren't continuing this royal baking until your minty stomach is happy! Eat up!"

I stared for a moment longer before conceding. One of the blue-topped chocolate delights was lifted with my magic, and I began munching, trying to at least be a little graceful. It was gone in less than a minute.

"Whoa," Pinkie said. "Looks like we're doing a good job! Did that hit the spot, or what?!"

There was water forming in my eyes as it had been in my mouth. "Yes, Pinkie. It was... I-It..." My voice trailed off.

"Hey, what's the matter?" Pinkie's mane deflated a bit as a tear rolled down my cheek. "It's okay Greenhooves, really! We can replace that cupcake lickity-split! Please don't cry!"

I sniffled. "I-It's not that, Pinkie. It's..." The tubes of frosting plopped on the counter. "It isn't fair..."

She smiled. "Don't worry about me, silly filly! I've already had my share of cupcakes today! I bake so fast that I HAVE to keep eating them! It's more fun that way!" She giggled, but stopped after seeing my frown.

"N-no, Pinkie," I said. "I just wish... I wish you c-could remember me." She was a pink blur through my tears. "I wish you could remember that day we shared more th-than a year ago, and all th-the d-days after..." I let out a sob. "You saved me. All of you. Y-you all saved me..."

"But I..." Pinkie's deflated mane hung down below her neck. "I never forget anypony's face..."

"I-I wish..." I continued. "I wish you could remember me, so that I could properly th-thank you...every day of my life..."

She put a hoof on my shoulder and smiled a gentle, empty smile. "You can, here and now, and I'll do my best to remember it forever and ever," she said in a soothing tone.

I smiled back and sniffled before wrapping her in a warm hug. Her mane smelled like cotton candy even when deflated. "Thank you so much for everything, Pinkie Pie." I held tighter. "No matter what happens to me in the coming hours, I-I'll do my best to remember you as well."

"You're welcome, Mint-...Lyra," she said. "I'll always be happy to see you, every single day." She let go as her mane perked back up. "Now let's ice some more of these cakes!"

For the next two hours, we baked, iced, and laughed. Pinkie worked through her break to spend more time with me, despite my objections. With both of us working together, we finished the remainder of Luna's two hundred cupcakes. She remembered me all the way through, and I remembered her. Our goodbyes were exchanged with no tears, for we knew we'd see each other again in another time. I now trotted towards a giant tree in the middle of town, past a cloaked sarosian with a wagon sturdy enough to hold a boatload of cake boxes. Twilight's Requiem sounded from my lyre.

For one last time, I would meet with my foalhood friend and her dragon assistant; two individuals who had helped me uncover the twisted Nocturne of the Firmaments and get to where I am now. Then, I would return to the Princess of Twilight and present my choice. In just a few hours, my journey would at last come to an end, and in one way or another, so would I.

Somehow, in that moment, my mind had made peace with that.























"Hi!" a tiny purple dragon said with a book under his arm. "Dig the...swell..."

I smiled big. "Is something wrong?"

Spike scratched his forehead. "I don't know. I feel like..." He snapped his fingers. "Saddlebag!"

I giggled. "Excuse me?"

"Dig the swell saddlebag!" He said. "Heh... Umm, are you just browsing? Or do you have an appointment with Twilight?"

"Well, not an appointment," I began. "But it's very important that I see her as soon as possible." I took a glance around the empty library. "Is she here?"

"She's in her study relaxing." He pointed up. "Today isn't busy, and she just had an eventful day with Princess Luna."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that," I said. "Is there a chance I could speak with her? With Twilight? I won't be long."

"Hmm...I don't know," Spike replied while sliding the book on a shelf. "She doesn't seem to be expecting any visitors today. I mean, I'll check with her and see if-"

"That won't be necessary, Spike," a smiling Twilight said as she stepped down the stairs. "Hi there! What can I do for you?" Spike nodded and went back to tending the library.

I smiled at my foalhood friend for what could have been the last time. "Hi Twilight! My name is Lyra Heartstrings..." My smile faded. "Uhh... How are you today?"

Twilight tilted her head. "I'm... I'm fine, thank you. I overheard that you had something important to discuss?"

I grinned and ran a hoof through my mane. There was someone or something to drive the conversation with the others, but now it was just Twilight and me. And I had no mysterious melodies or protection buff lessons to talk about.

"Umm-" My eyes moved around the library. I saw Spike on a ladder across the room sorting more books. The old picture of my two foalhood friends rested on a windowsill, with an awkward left space still as prominent as ever.

Twilight looked concerned, just as Applejack and Mrs. Cake had. "Are you alright? You seem to be a little..."

"Lost?" This was my chance. I looked back at my old friend and finished for her. "A few ponies have said that to me today. I've recently figured out, Twilight, that I'm always going to be lost, despite everything I've been through." I looked out one of the windows to a peaceful Ponyville. "Just a few days ago, in fact. Or this morning. Time has become a little messy for me."

Twilight snickered. "That's nonsense! Anypony can find their place in Equestria. You just have to keep looking!"

I giggled. "Applejack said the exact same thing. It's no wonder you two have become such great friends." I shook my head, but my smile remained strong. "This isn't that kind of 'lost', Twilight. It's a bit more complicated."

Her eyebrow raised. "I'm afraid you've lost me." She chuckled. "What are you getting at here?"

I adjusted my saddlebag and took a deep breath. "Remember the Summer Sun Celebration about a year and a half ago?"

"Of course!" Twilight said. "That was the longest day of the thousandth year, when I first met all of my friends. And when Nightmare Moon returned."

"Indeed," I said. "That was around when I first arrived in Ponyville, same as you. I've been here ever since."

"That long?" She paused. "Wait, how do you know that was my first time here? I don't recall ever meeting you."

"Heh. I'm getting to that." I cleared my throat. "So, I was here in Ponyville way back when visiting a foalhood friend of mine." I smiled bigger. "I told her to go ahead of me to town hall, and on my way to catch up, I made the capital sin of looking at the moon." I chuckled. "Ever since then, I've been lost."

She looked at me bewildered. "I don't... What do you mean by-?"

"I'm cursed, Twilight," I said. "I was the first to gaze at Nightmare Moon when she appeared, and something dark found me through her eyes." I stroked a hoof against my forehead. "This curse renders me trapped in Ponyville, and no one I speak to will remember me or the conversation." I gulped. "And everyone I'd known prior to being cursed have forgotten me as well."

Here eyes squinted. "A curse? I-I'm sorry, but this is a little hard to..." Spike came walking by with a pile of books in hand.

"Oh, hi there! Dig the swell...manedue!" I really missed my hoodie.

In an instant, Twilight looked just as frustrated as she did during several of our other meetings. "Spike..." She gestured towards me. "Miss Heartstrings has been here for the past five minutes, and you greeted her when she entered! Don't you..." She stopped again as my words sunk in.

"Sorry, Twilight. I haven't met our guest yet. Don't you remember?" He held the books up. "I need to finish sorting these for you. Just pretend I'm not here."

I continued. "The two things that cause one to forget me are distance, and time." I pointed a hoof to the other side of the library. "Spike was way over there, and so forgot about this lost little unicorn he'd greeted just minutes ago."

Her eyes were widening. "I-"

"And there's something else I've failed to mention..." Another deep breath. "The foalhood friend I came to visit during the Summer Sun Celebration? That was you, Twilight." My eyes glanced at the picture on the windowsill. "You, Moondancer and I went to Magic Summer Camp and Kindergarten together, and kept in touch all throughout our years at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns." I sighed. It was becoming more difficult to remember. "You were accepted before Moondancer and I, and you gave us a tour when we started our first year."

She closed her eyes. "I remember that with Moondancer, but... Th-this is so much, Lyra-"

"Come here." I grabbed her hoof and led her to the window. "Tell me: does this picture look odd to you?"

Twilight let out a regretful sigh before taking a close look. "Well, now that you mention it, the photographer must have been having an off day. There's a lot of space on the..." She paused and looked at me.

"Enough for a third pony, right?" I put a hoof on her shoulder and levitated the picture in front of us. "We had this taken on our way to see Mare of La Mancha. Moondancer loved us so much that she tagged along to see a Bridleway musical of all things." I chuckled.

Twilight's eyes reflected mine. "How do you...?"

"Because I was there, Twilight. My family and I lived in the Upper...Alabaster District, on Starswirl Street." For a moment, I thought I was remembering incorrectly. "You and Moondancer lived two streets down, on Nebula Avenue."

She looked towards the distant Canterlot. A sarosian took off for the city with a cake-filled wagon in tow. "I-I can write the princess, Lyra. There has to be a way to-"

There she went. "Twilight..." I put a hoof up. "I've been here more times than I can count in the past year and a half. We've tried everything." I sighed, but kept as much positive tone going as I could. "Your letters to the princess appear blank, as does my own writing thanks to this curse. I've met with the princesses on my own here in Ponyville, and some sort of amnesiac catastrophe occurred every time, like the parasprites." I almost snickered at the thought of those crazy winged enigmas. "I've spent the past few months learning of things in this world that are meant to remain lost. I just happened to get caught in the crossfire, I guess."

There were seconds of dead silence. "Lyra, no. There has to be something you're missing, something we haven't tried yet!"

"There isn't. We've done so many things. I can't even bring myself to remember all of the possible solutions we thought of." I rubbed my forehead. "This curse is now taking a toll on my own mind. I'll soon forget so much that I won't even be the same pony."

A single tear flowed from her eye. She wouldn't budge. "T-teleportation... Canterlot... Maybe if I accompany you to meet-"

"No, Twilight," I interrupted. "We've tried that, along with everything else you can possibly say at this point. I'm sorry."

Her moist eyes were wide. "But Lyra... All of this you've told me... N-none..." She paused. "None of it is fair! To any of us! How can you be so calm about this? Why..." Her voice trailed off. "What have you done to deserve this?! This isn't a burden that anypony should have to bear! N-nopony... Under any circumstance..." She sat on the floor as her voice trailed off.

I hated seeing my old friend like this, but this would be the last time. "Twilight Sparkle..." I moved closer and wrapped my hooves around her. "There's nothing to be sad or upset about. You and your amazing friends have helped me come to terms with my situation." My eyes were closed in reminiscence. "I'm going to be just fine. There's a pony I'm meeting with later, a pony who will at last bring this journey to an end. My plan is to tell her just what I'm telling you now: that I've grown content with the way I'm living." I shivered a bit and held her closer. "I won't be the same pony for very long after, but I'll still see you all every single day, and you'll all be as kind and welcoming as you've been since I first stepped off that train all those months ago." A single tear rolled down my cheek.

Twilight raised her eyes to meet mine. "Who i-is this pony? And what do the parasprites have to do with all this?" she asked. "I have so many questions, Lyra. S-so many..."

"I'm sorry, Twilight," I replied. "There isn't time. For all I know, I'll forget this conversation within the hour." I let go of her and prepared to stand up. "I need to go."

"Lyra..."

"I want to thank you, Twilight," I said, smiling even bigger. "For everything, from foalhood to now. You've helped me more than you can imagine, you and Spike." I looked towards her dragon assistant on the ladder once again. "You helped me learn so much, get to where I am now. My only regret is that I couldn't be there for you when you needed me in turn. I'm so sorry, Twilight..." I thought of Moondancer's unique smile.

She now looked even more curious "Sorry for what? Lyra, I need to-" She stopped herself before entering a long silence. "What... Wh-what will you do?" She sniffled. "What will you do confined in Ponyville all your life?"

My hoof wiped another tear away. "Well, I can't say for certain, but I'm sure I'll still be searching." I levitated my lyre out of the saddlebag and strummed a note. "That is, playing music for the citizens of this blessed town in an endless search to find my place in this world, as I'm sure my amnesiac mind will be even more lost than it is now." I chuckled.

Twilight sniffled, but at last had a gentle smile on her face. Whether or not she actually calmed down or just smiled for my sake was a mystery, but it was a refreshing sight after what I put her through. "You know, I can't directly recall why," she began with a glimpse at the lyre in my hooves. "But I've always had a passing interest in music somewhere in the back of my mind, since I went to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns in fact..." She wiped a tear away. "I-I've become intrigued in the diversity of music more than anything else; so many genres, so many instruments," she said. "I-if there's one thing that studying friendship has taught me, it's that...each pony is their own song."

I had relaxed into a calm state while listening to her words, but that last part caused my eyes to open wide. "Wait," I said after a few moments, almost dropping my lyre. "Say that again."

"Hmm?" Twilight wiped both of her eyes.

I put both hooves on her shoulders. "That thing at the end about music, about friendship, about diversity... Say that again!"

She gasped. I put my hooves down as she closed her eyes and let her last tears trickle. "I said, if there's anything friendship has taught me, it's that each pony is their own song." She let out a half-suppressed giggle. "Is that what you meant by searching, Lyra?"

Twilight's voice faded from my consciousness. Right then and there, something in my mind clicked; something within the decaying, swirling abyss of my stupid brain that I hadn't began to piece together until that very moment in the Golden Oaks Library.

They're each their own song.

My breathing quickened to a pant; I thought of Alabaster saving me from the pull of that spanning void, of Caramel and Wind Whistler cutting their wedding cake. I remembered Morning Dew planting his flowers while Ambrosia looked on. I pictured Twilight and her friends using the Elements of Harmony to banish Discord, and Mayor Mare and Scarlet Breeze reconciling in the sealed windmill. In the wake of it all, I remembered Celestia's violet eyes before she summoned the parasprites... The Parade...

It was too much. The world turned dark as my body collapsed beneath the nauseating whirlpool in my head.








"I didn't mean anything by it!"

"You meant it!"

"Nuh uh!"

"Uh huh!"

"Nuh uh!"

"Uh huh!"

"Pegasus pen pal," I interrupted.

"Ohhh, here we go..." Moondancer fell back on the bed.

"Shush, Moondancer!" Twilight said. "Did she teach you anything about the traditional 'Soaring Cirrus Symphony', Lyra?"

"Well...not about that specifically, but we did write a lot about music. Her 'calling' is to join the Wonderbolts, but she said she often finds herself singing to nearly everpony in Cloudsdale!"

"The Wonderbolts?! Did she tell you about any cool flying tricks?!"

"As I was saying," I continued with a smirk at Moondancer, "she wrote that music and ponies are similar in a lot of ways-"

"Uuuuuuugh." She pretended to gag.

"Hush!" Twilight said.

"Her cousin made a big effort to befriend everypony and throw parties wherever she went, be it a rock farm or Fillydelphia. From singing at these countless parties, she - my pen pal - learned that ponies all over Equestria are both diverse and the same, like melodies or instruments." I grabbed each of my friends' hooves. "Big or small, pegasus or earth pony, we're all capable of connecting in a powerful harmony. Some ponies don't 'sound' well with each other, she said, and so bicker and don't get along."

"Sounds like a bunch of malarkey!" Moondancer said, letting go of my hoof.

"She also wrote that misunderstanding or distance might drown out the harmonies sometimes, as she saw a few great filly friends arguing with each other over something tiny." I smirked at both of my company. "But there's always a chance to get back together and jump-start the harmony again!" I pulled them both close.

"Pft." Moondancer rolled her eyes.

"She sure sounds like a pegasus that loves all cultures!" Twilight said with a smile that showed little dimples. "I guess we're a harmony, then!"

"Well, at least two of us are." Moondancer stuck her tongue out at Twilight.

"No, all three of us!" Twilight said. "We're all harmonious with each other! Right Lyra? Right? Lyra? Lyra?"











"Lyra?" A distant voice called out. "Lyra? Lyra?!" Two hooves shook against my coat. I opened my eyes to a distraught lavender face.

"Ngh." My ears rang. "What... What happened?"

Twilight sighed in relief and held one of my hooves. "I don't know. You lost consciousness. I-I sent Spike to get help without thinking. Are you alright?"

I ran a shaking hoof over my aching temple. "Never been better." I paused. "Hold on. You still remember me? And everything I told you?"

She hesitated. "Yes..."

"Good." Dinky's beautiful melody sounded from outside. "I'm a damned idiot, Twilight." At that, her eyes widened before she adorably tilted her head one last time.

My body shivered. "The cabin..."

"Hold on." She helped me stand and kept a stern hoof on my chest. "Nurse Redheart should take a-"

"No, Twilight. I'm fine." Cold perspiration dripped down my brow. "There's no time. Everything I need is back at my cabin."

"Lyra," Twilight pleaded while I trudged. "I don't want to forget..."

I glanced back to look her in the eye. "Don't worry! Remember what I said earlier?" I put a hoof to my chin. "Actually... Never mind. You'll see me again! Promise."

"But..." She held a hoof out before closing her eyes in acceptance. "Goodbye, Lyra."

"Twilight..." I stopped myself with a chuckle before saying, "See you later." For the penultimate time, a powerful chill went through my body as I threw myself back out into Ponyville.