• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 1,427 Views, 40 Comments

The Hunter: The Path of the Moonlight - DJ Scratch21x



All my life, I craved for adventure. I prayed for the day where everything changed. Too bad it wasn't how I pictured it.

  • ...
8
 40
 1,427

Chapter 8 Suppression

"I got it! I got it!"

I ran underneath the soaring football with my arms outstretched! My eye were on the ball as it spiraled closer to me! It was so close! So close!

"I got it!!"

I caught it! It fell right into my hands! I did it! I jammed my feet into the Earth. Dirt flew as my shoes broke through the green grass below.

"Atta boy!" My father cheered as he clapped. "That's my boy!"

"Holy cow, that was amazing!" I shouted as I hurried back with the ball cradled in my arms. "Did you see what I did!?"

Dad sat down. "Yes, son, we all did! That was sweet. Now come and sit. It's lunchtime. We have sandwiches."

I stopped right beside Joel and and Clair. Clair usher me down with a heart warming smile. I sat myself down on my share of the picnic blanket. Chad picked a wrapped sandwich out of a large blue cooler in front of me, and he tossed it my way. I caught it and I began to rip way at the plastic wrapping.

"Here you go, Clair."

Chad picked another sandwich out of the cooler and held like a football. He made a dramatic throwing motion before he gently tossed it over to her. The sandwich flew through the gap in her hands and hit her in the face. Her face scrunched and her head shot back as if she was shot rather than hit by a sandwich. She remained with that facial expression as my eye brows rose and my jaw dropped slightly.

"Oh!" Chad exclaimed. "Clair, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-"

Clair glared at him with evil glare, then she bursted out with laughter. She snorted as she waved him off. "Heh. It's ok, man! No harm done."

We all got a laugh out of that.

For a while, we all sat there and ate our lunches. We exchanged stories, told jokes, and played 20 Questions. I picked out another sand which from the cooler and I began to undo the wrapping.

"Oh! Wait...wait..." Zoey said as she thought long and hard. "It's small..and it jumps off of cliffs. Is it a...a Lemon? Lemming? It's that isn't it?"

Clair nodded. "You're on the money, kid."

I leaned back so I was resting on my elbows, a ham sandwich was held in my left hand. I took in the warm air through my nose and exhaled through my mouth. I did this several times as I looked at the surrounding nature in a sense of awe and wonderment.

There was not a cloud in sight to hide away the sapphire blue sky above. The sun remained high in the sky, showering us in its warm glow of tranquility. All around us was grass. Silky green grass that stretched for miles in every direction. It went for as long as I could see, curving along hillsides. Out in the distance, a range out mountains stood tall and proud with their tips covered in snow. There was nobody around for miles. Nobody could bother us or hurt us. It was just me and the ones I held dear to my heart.

"It's nice, ain't it?"

Clair leaned back so we were at eye level with each other.

"Yes. Yes it is." I said in amazement before I lied down in the grass. "It's beautiful here."

Clair lied down with me. The two of us lied together in the grass looking up into the sky. Joel seeing this moved himself over to us, and curled up into a ball between us. The three of us together remained there in peace as I scratched the top of Joel's head. To our right, the others talked amongst themselves, laughing and having a good time.

"This is nice." I said softly. "We should do stuff like this more often."

"I couldn't agree more. Too bad we can't though." She said rather disappointed.

"Hmm?" I asked, turning my head to her.

I sat up, slightly taken aback from her response. "What do you mean?"

Clair chuckled a little, as if she knew something that I didn't know.

"You'll see."

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"The hell?" I gasped.

The random beeping noise caught me off guard and I shot up to my feet. I couldn't detect the source of this noise. It seemed like the wind was carrying it over our heads.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I looked at my family, to see their reactions, but they were gone. Everything there was gone! I looked back at Clair and Joel. They were gone as well!

"Where is everyone!?" I said nervously as the ringing grew louder and louder. "Hello!"

BEEP BEEP BEEP

****************************

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Hmm?"

I felt the warm air around me grow bitter and cold, my skin began to tremble. I lifted my head a little as my eyes cracked open slightly. Eye grub the built up over night crumbled away as I wiped my eyes. My hair was hung over in front of my eyes, blocking out a majority of the sunlight before me. I pulled my hair back to see my phone ringing and buzzing. I could feel Joel move his head up as he was woken up at the same moment as I was.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groaned as I began to sit up. Joel quickly rose to all fours. He stretched as he yawned. I did the same. However, my body did not feel perfect. As I stood up, my back released a number of cracks and pops. Reaching to the roof of the cave, I stretched and released a majority of the tension that was built up overnight.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Oh shut it." I groaned as I turned the alarm off.

Looking at the phone, I saw that it was at 91%. Not bad so far. Still plenty of battery. I wrapped my arms around myself. It was freezing! My teeth chattered and clattered together rapidly. Was the fire still alive?

I looked at what was now a pile of ash and black charcoal. Thin streams of smoke rose up from the ashes. Our faithful source of warmth has past onto a better place.

"Damn." I sighed. Joel sniffed at the pile, being careful not to snort any ash. "That sucks."

Scratching my head, I made my way to the mouth of the cave. Just what I set my phone for. Dawn was just beginning. There was enough light to see without using my phone. I couldn't waste much time. First, I eat. I'll go to the bathroom, and then we'll be on our way. And I did just that.

I ate every last morsel of the roast beef and I fed Joel right after. I took a leak before I took a sip of water. I let Joel drink out of the cap before I screwed the canteen shut. And that concludes our breakfast. After that, I gathered everything together. I double checked the cave to make sure that I had everything, and I was set. Both my rifle and my bag hung off my shoulders, and I held my revolver in my hand. The finger was nowhere near the trigger

"Joel." I called. "Joel, you ready?"

I looked back to see Joel with his back left leg risen over a rock before he put it down. He hurried over to me.

"Good boy. Can't waste time today. I have a good feeling we'll meet somebody soon."

Joel sat down, and he looked up at me.

"Let's move, shall we?"



***********************



A high pitched whiney screech woke nearby residents as a heavily armored train was coming into Appaloosa's Train Station. On the platform, several guards stood and waited patiently on the outside of the town dome. They were positioned so two were at each booth. Slowly, the multicolored train ceased to a halt. Each door to the train was perfectly aligned with each booth. Every door opened simultaneously as the trains' conductor allowed departure.

Almost instantly after the doors opened, a yellow and red blur came speeding out from the second to last door of the train! Guards shot back in surprise. The orb dug into the floor to stop itself right in front of two uneasy guards. Before their hooves, the was an eager looking filly, bouncing in her spot with excitement. An Earth pony. She was yellow with red messy hair and tail. She was absent of a cutie mark. However, on her head was an abnormally large pink bow, which bopped up and down with every bounce she took. In her mouth, she held a large briefcase with the grip of her teeth.

The small filly said something, but it was muffled as the the briefcase was still in her mouth, so she spat in out, and it clunked to the ground.

"Applejack! Hurry up! Please!" She cried out impatiently. "I have to see Sweetie Belle!"

Her voice had a strong southern accent, quite common in Appaloosa. Maybe she is an original resident of Appaloosa bride the first attack?

"Applebloom!" Another pony with an even stronger accent snapped from within the metal plates train,

As more ponies were exiting the train, a group of three ponies came out of the same door the filly did. The first one out was an Earth pony. She was orange with blonde hair. Her hair was long, extending down to her chest. She wore a large cowboy hat that nearly blocked out her eyes from view. Her tail was nearly touching the ground. However, both of them were tied up in a ponytail. A rather ironic hair style. Her cutie mark were three apples huddled together. The pony looked up to reveal a pair of light green eyes.

"Applebloom, be patient!" She snapped. "We'll get in when we get in. You'll just have to be patient."

Behind her was a red and muscular stallion with a half of a macintosh apple for a cutie mark, followed by an elderly green mare with an apple pie for a cutie mark. They all made their way to the same booth that Applebloom was at as she eagerly pounded her hooves into the polished wooden floor.

"Sorry, fellas." Applejack said, apologizing for Applebloom. "She hasn't seen her friend in a long time. You know how it goes these days."

The guards said nothing. One only reached out a hoof while the other stood guard. Applejack handed the guard four identification cards containing information about their physical descriptions, especially cutie arms. The guard read out each of their names aloud as if he was reading a list.

"Hmmm...Applejack, Granny Smith, Applebloom, annnd...Big Macintosh. Uh huh. What's your business here?" He asked as he peered up from the cards.

"Visiting some friends in town for a couple days." Applejack announced as she brought each of her family members in for an awkward hug.

The guard just stood there in confusion while the other struggled to hold in his laughs.

"Ooookay. *Ahem* Miss, are you in possession of any objects or substances that are considered illegal or dark magic?"

Applejack spoke for everypony in her group as she shook her head in denial. "Noooo sir. We are as clean as a whistle!"

The guards eyes peered down at their baggage. "Then you won't mind if I search through your belongings?" He asked, eyes narrowing.

Everypony dropped their luggage to the wooden floor without hesitation. Applejack stood aside as she presented him their luggage with confidence. Applejack hovered her hoof over them, as if she created some kind of fancy cuisine. The guard gave her a small smile before her bent over to examine the contents inside each bag.

He first went through Granny Smith's luggage, the elder pony. She didn't pack much. All she brought with her were a couple hats, some old silverware, most likely silverware that has been handed down upon generations. The final thing she packed were a couple of bits. No more than the maximum amount, thrity five bits.

The guard examined Applebloom's bag next. Items included were dozens of bows of different sizes, colors, and designs. He also found a multitude of comic books. Other than a dusty photo book, that was it.

Next, he examined Big Macintosh. The large one of the group who hasn't spoken a word. All he had with him was a small backpack. The guard unzipped the top and peered inside. What he found really threw him off. Inside, there was a small doll. The doll was old, having a few undone stitches, as stuffing was pushing against the threads and a loose eye. He found this doll, when he dug through what seemed like an endless supply of accessories for the doll. Hats, ties, bows, facial hair ect...

"What the-"

Big Macintosh zipped the bag shut, and snatched it away from him in a blink of an eye. Big Macintosh held the bag in his mouth with a sly yet nervous grin.

"It's for uhhh....my daughter?" He said nervously. "Uh yes! It's for my daughter."

"But..." Applebloom said confused. "You ain't got any ki- ouch!"

The guard shook his head in disapproval and moved to the final bag. Applejacks' bag. She had a knapsack that she placed on the ground. In one pocket, there were several letters and pictures. In the other pocket, there was a large bin with a blue top. He took it out and held it on a hoof. It was surprisingly heavy.

"Well well well....what do we have here?"

"Oh, that?" Applejack asked uneasily. "That's just a pie that I baked for our friends in town. It's square cause' we didn't have any pie tins cause' we wanted to help those in need since the first attack. That's uh...that ain't a problem is it?" She asked as she watched him take of the top.

The guard set the pie down. He poked at it with a hoof. He already began to nod his head.

"Yes, it is. I'm sorry, but I can't let this through. Royal policy."

Applejacks' eyes widened in surprise. She was taken aback by his denial of the pie. She leaned in to look at the pie to see if there was anything wrong with it that she could fix.

"What? Why? What's wrong with it? Why ca-"

"Applejack." Interrupted Big Macintosh. "It's alright. It's best no to argue with the authority."

"No sir! I wanna know what's wrong with it. I baked this pie for our friends cause' we haven't seen em' in a while. I just want to know whats wrong with a darn thang!"

"Listen, the pie is just to big. To big to fit something inside. Plus, I don't what's in this pie. It could that Poison Joke for all I know." The guard said calmly.

"There's nothin' in it, I swear on it! I'm Applejack! Element of Honesty? Remember? I'm telling the truth!"

"Listen, Applejack, I'm sorry, but I can't let this through. To many problems with it. Now listen, you can either ditch this pie, or you can't come in. What's it gonna be?" He threatened with reluctancy.

Applejack fumbled with her words in appalment. She was about to try reasoning with him, but she gave up. She hung her head low in defeat. With pain in her heart, she tossed the pie and all into a nearby trash bin without a word of argument. Her ears twitched when she heard it splatter when it fell to the bottom of the bin.

"Alright, last test. Please stand a foot apart from each other and stand still." The guard commanded.

The Apple Family did so. The second guard took his spear and touched everypony in the chest with the point. Everytime he did, the spear would flash a plain green color.

"Alrighty then, you are free of any dark magic. You are free to pass." The guard confirmed as he stood aside.

The family got their luggage together and began to pass through the purple wall that separated them from the inside. First was Applejack, then Granny Smith. Next was Big Macintosh, but Appleloom didn't follow. She was to busy marveling at the colossal purple dome that surrounded Appaloosa.

It was the same spell that was used to keep the Changelings out of Canterlot during the Royal Wedding. If she remembered correctly, that shield was smashed to pieces after being battered enough. Then again, every town or city is required to have a M.E 2.0, or a Magica Enhancer 2.0. This contraption keeps the shield going, and makes it stronger. It helps keep the Humans out and the ponies inside, where it's safe and away from the battles outside.

"Hey, Applebloom." Applejack called. Applebloom turned her gave to Applejack who waited for her on the other side of the dome. "You wanna see Sweetie Belle, don't ya?"

Holy smokes! Sweetie Belle! That's right!

Applebloom pressed herself against the purple wall. The dome began to part itself when she her head was poking through the other side. Where the dome was on her body as she passed through, she felt a cold stinging feeling as she reached the other side of the dome. As quick as she entered, she was standing at Applejacks' hooves. She looked up to see her sister staring back down at her.

"Well? Let's go. You dodnt come speeding outta that train for nothin', did ya?"

Once again, Appleblooms' eyes widened with excitement. "No I did not!"

Before Applejack could react, Applebloom was off in a completely random direction. The luggage that was gripped in her teeth seemed weightless as she ran. Applejack stuck out a hoof in protest. She was about to say anything, but she gave up right there. Her hoof fell to the ground as she sighed. Big Macintosh came up beside her and patted her on the back.

"Let her run around for a bit." He said in a hushed tone. "I haven't seen her this happy in a long time. Let her enjoy it,."

"Sweetie Belle!" Applebloom shouted as she darted around corners and through crowds of ponies. "I'm coming!"

Applebloom was too excited to notice the surroundings around her. She didn't notice how everypony shuffled along in a deep state of depression. Looking at the ground, they were so deadened of emotion that their actions almost seemed robotic. Their coats were darkened fro the dirt as the can only bathe once a week. She was too excited to notice how everypony was living in small shacks, all aligned into rows. Rows that went on for what seemed like forever. Whenever she bumped into somepony, they would always shoot her a enraged glare before moving on. She didn't notice any of this until she saw the numbers 534 on the side of a cabin door.

She remembered how Applejack told the number of of Rarity's shed. That where Rarity was, and that's where Sweetiebelle is. But...there was a problem. Applebloom got a look at the entire exterior of the cabin. It wasn't very large or spacious. It was rather dirty and run down. This couldn't be the place. Rarity is supposed to live some big and fancy hotel or something! If this was the place, then she couldn't imagine how Rarity was handling this lifestyle.

Applebloom reached up and knocked on this door before pressing her ear on the door against the door, to see if anypony was inside. She could hear a rapid pattern of hoofsteps making their way to the door. In a spit second, the door was flung open, only to jump in surprise at the sound of Rarity's screeching voice!

"I'M HERE, DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO RUDE!!?"

Applebloom fell backwards and landed on her rump as she squirmed to get away. A pony nearly stepped on her as she crawled away, but the she simply growled in annoyance before moving on, leaving Applebloom in the dirt. Applebloom got up from the ground and brushed herself off with a free hoof.

"Oh goodness, Applebloom!" She hear Rarity gasp.

Rarity stepped out from the darkness of the doorway. She was in bad shape. Her purple mane was no longer long and curly. It was cut short and filthy with dirt and grub. Hundreds upon thousands of split ends stuck out in all directions. What was once a pure white coat, was now a dull brown with a few scattered spots of white. Her tail was slumped over and it dragged itself along the ground behind her.

Rarity rushed over to aid Applebloom after her outburst. Rarity assisted her up and brushed Applebloom off. The small filly just stood there awkwardly in the street.

"I'm fine Rarity, thanks." Applebloom said as she waved her off.

Applebllom couldn't help but look at Raritys, appearance. As Rarity was about to take her baggage, she caught Applebloom looking at her. As a reaction, Appleooms, eyes were then looking up at the sky in embarrassment.

"I know, I do not look so..clean..do I." She said.

"I didn't mean anything by it. It's just that yo-"

"I gave up on keeping clean a long time ago. I only bathe once a week anyway. If I tired to stay clean, I would eventually drive myself crazy, would I?"

Rarity bent over and took her luggage into her mouth. Standing in the doorway, Rarity invited her in with a gestured hoof. Applebloom walked through the doorway before Rarity closed the door behind her. Inside, it was dark. The only window in the shed was covered with a raggedy cloth which was assumed to be an improvised curtain. It wasn't even an efficient one either, considering the amount of holes and dangling pieces of thread on the fabric.

Rarity spat out the luggage, and it clunked to the floor. "Oh...sorry for how dark it is, darling. I've was asleep when you arrived."

Her horn illuminated a light blue glow as well as the rag covering the window. It rag made a jerking motion before it was dropped to the floor. Sunlight poured in to reveal that there was no floor. Just dirt. Nothing decorated the walls of anything else. The shed was practically empty other than a single bed in the middle of the room with one blanket and pillow.

"Home sweet home." Rarity joked. "A bath tub would be nice, but what are you gonna do?"

Applebloom looked around in bewilderment. She did not expect Rarity OR Sweetie Belle to live in someplace like this! Rarity, the most formal and cleanest of ponies! Wait...where was Sweetie Belle? It's just Rarity here. Where could she be?

"And about the whole yelling thing?" Rarity said as she sat down on the bed. "I uh...I get cranky when I don't get my beauty sleep. Not to mention the guards that come every day to Inspect the place. They are always so rude about it too. What I'm trying to say is that i apologize about earlier. It was very unlike me."

"Oh, it ain't a problem." Applebloom said as she looked around. The little filly looked underneath the bed for a moment only to find no Sweetiebelle. "Sayyyy...where's Sweetie Belle?"

"Oh, she's at school. Wait...in fact..." Rarity said as she thought about it. "She should be home any minuet now. We can talk until then!" She said as her eyes lit up.

"Yeah alright." Applebloom said, considering it with a nod. "Whatcha wanna talk about?"

Applebloom sat down on the ground and waited for her response. Rarity looked at her with a raised eyebrow. She sighed and patted on the space next to her.

"Why on Earth would you want to sit down there? Come sit up here with me."

Applebloom did so. She hopped up onto the bed and plopped down right next to Rarity like how a dog would when it lies down.

"So answer me this." Rarity said. "Where is Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Granny Smith? Shouldn't they be here with you?"

"Ohhhhhh." Applebloom said, realizing what she did. "I mighta...left em' at the station." She said with a sly but guilty smile.

Rarity gave a smirk. "I see. Well, I'm sure they will find their way here."

"Yeah..." Applebloom said in the silence.

Applebloom kicked at the space in front of her. She sat there in the somewhat awkward silence of the room.

"Sooooo....how is Scootaloo? Will she be alright with her um...condition?"

He expression grew serious with concern. Rarity moved forward slightly to hear better. Applebloom looked to the ground She knew the answer, but she didn't know how to say it. She adjusted her positioning so she was facing Rarity.

"You know, she's doing better. *sigh* You know what? I gotta say, that filly there is a real trooper. Ever since the....incident, she has been learning to walk just fine. I mean...sure she hasn't really been the same after what happened, but I'm sure she'll be back to her normal self again. Jus' gotta give her time is all."

"Well I'm glad she's doing better." Rarity agreed as she lied back. "I don't have the strength to go through what she has. As much as I would like to talk about her. what are you doing? How is life back home?"

"Good. Just good. I miss you all. But at least I got work to keep my mind busy. I'm just glad I'm here."

Applebloom was about to continue, but she stopped. Her face scrunched up as she thought hard. "How long has it been?" She asked.

"Oh, about three minuets. Why?"

Applebloom was getting up from the bed and she hopped off. Applebloom searched through her luggage and pulled out a red, white, and blue striped bow.

"Sweetie Belle's gonna be her any moment. I"m gonna wait for her outside with this bow to show her! She'll love it!"

Applebloom exited the cabin, and closed the door softly. Right beside the door is where she began to undo the bow in her hair. She pulled one end, it slid through with ease, and the whole bow above became undone. She took it out of her mane and placed in a small space beside her. Then, she began to work on her new bow.

She was in deep concentration as she wrapped the fabric around her hair while her tongue hang out in a rather comical fashion. She was so focused on tying the bow together, that she didn't notice a small bird land right between her and the pink fabric that she took off. The bird was a dark brown with black tipped wings. Its beaked resembled a thin pair of tweezers. It leaned in to get a better look at the mysterious silky pink object before it. Coking its head, it pecked at it.

The sound of the beak pecking at Appleblooms' bow broke her concentration.

"Huh?"

She looked to her right, and she spotted the bird. Applebloom was surprised, but she quickly became excited as she hasn't seen another bird in months! The bird didn't seem to mind her joyful reaction. It didn't pay any attention to her.

"Hey there, little guy." Applebloom greeted in a high pitched voice. "My name is Applebloom. What is your name?" She asked, knowing the bird wouldn't be able to respond

The bird looked at her expressionless, before it turned its attention back to the fabric before it. Again, the bird quickly pecked at it. Applebloom noticed a small hole was being formed where the birds' beak struck, only to grow wider once it pecked it it once more.

"Heyyy." Applebloom scolded. "Don't do tha- hey!"

The bird took one look at applebloom before it snatched up the ribbon in the its beak before it took off into the air! Applebloom was too slow, as the bird was several meters above her as she lunged at it. Applebloom crashed to the ground with a grunt. She looked up to see the bird flying away down the street.

"Wait!" She yelled. "That's my favorite one!"

She could hear Raritys' voice call for her inside the cabin, but she didn't listen. She began to race down the street after it, never taking her eyes off of the feathered thief! Ponies that she was about to bump into quickly stepped out of the way as they shouted at her, but she didn't care.

"Come back!" Applebloom pleaded.

She could see its head look back as if it heard her. Will the bird stop? Will it drop the ribbon? No! Instead, it took a sharp left turn, and was making its way down another street that Applebloom was speeding past! She planted her hooves into the soil, and turned her body to the left! It was leaving her sight. Not only that, but the bird was at the edge of town. Right in front of the dome! It was leaving town!

"No! Wait please!"

Plomf!

With flash of light, the bird was on the other side of the dome.

"NO!"

She ran faster as she prepared to break through the dome. She lowered her head and closed her eyes as she was about to breach through the other side!

"Wait a second there, kiddo!"

A stallions' voice called out to her the made her stop at where she was. From above, a Guard came down from above and landed right before her. Right in the space between her and the dome. It was a fairly large Pegasus that was completely orange. She couldn't see his cutie mark, but that didn't matter.

"Please." She begged. "A bird took my favorite ribbon! It means a lot to me! I just need to be out there for five minuets! That's all I need!"

The guard shook his head." I'm sorry kid, can't let you out there. Too dangerous."

"But...but my Daddy bought for me when I was just a little filly! I can't let it go just like that!"

"Kid.."

The guard stopped. He took off his helmet to reveal his badly matted mane. He knelt down to her. The guard made sure that they were looking at each other. The guard felt guilty for what he was doing. He paused to find what words he was about to say.

"Look here, there could be HUMANS out there. It's too dangerous out there, with their guns and whatnot. I uh....kid-"

He stopped. He looked to see that Appleblooms' eye have grown to size of dinner plates, watery with tears. Her fat lip trembled as she was on the verge of sobbing. The small filly sniffed and looked down to the ground. The guard looked around, trying to take his mind off of the guilt in his head. He looked back at the now softly crying Applebloom. He looked back at the wall behind him.

"Five minuets." He thought. "That's all she needs."

He then looked at the wings on his back.

"Alright look." He said.

Applebloom looked up.

"I'll let you go out there. BUT I'm coming with you. You never know what's going to happen. Just make sure you do what I say, when I say it, ok?."

Applebloom eyes lit up with joy and relief! She embraced the guard with a giant hug.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"Yeah yeah, ok. Let's be quick about this. Let's go find your ribbon. I'm sure we'll find it in no time."


15 MINUETS LATER


"Yeah, it's gone, kid."

"No! It can't be! It just can't!"

They both stood side by side in the dirt, far from town. Appleblooms' head darted back and forth as she looked around in desperation.

"Look, I'm sorry, but it's gone. Not to mention WE BOTH have been out here for way too long! We need to get back into town now!"

"But..but."

Applebloom sat on the ground and remained silent. The stallion just stood above her, looking down as her with sympathy. The only thing they both heard was the sounds of her own sniffs. He picked her up with his left leg and held her as she cried. His wings began to flap.

"C'mon. Let's g-"

PSHH! PSHH!

The guard let out a pained scream as he fell to the ground. Appleboom barely had a chance to roll out of the way as he came tumbling down!

"GAH! WHAT IN CELESTIA'S NAME!!?"

Applebloom stood up instantly, and ran to his aid!

"What!? What's wrong!? Tell- OH MY!"

Applebloom could see blood gushing out from his left wing and hind leg! A small pool was starting to form around his backside while he was gritting his teeth in agony!

"Wha-...what happened to you!?" The terrified filly cried.

"Go!" He screamed. "It's a Human! Run! Ru-"

From behind Applebloom, something large and back came and jammed itself right into the side of the guards head! The sound of metal on the flash of his head made Applebloom squeak, as could only watch as he fell to the ground unconscious! Applebloom cowered in a ball, as something tall towered over.

"Well well well...what do we have here?"

A deep and drunken growl emerged from above. Applebloom continue to tremble underneath. Just then, a large hand wrapped itself around her! She tried to scream, but a white rag drowned out her cries as it was pressed into her mouth and nose! She kicked and fought, but she could feel a strong feeling a exhaustion wash over. Her movements grew soft as she fell asleep in the man's grasp. As Applebloom gave her final kick, her body went limp as she drifted further and further away.

"Got me a little un', don't we?" A low grumbling voice echoed in her mind as she went unconscious in his arms.

The last thing she heard was the Human, mocking her by humming a lullaby.



******************************



Another afternoon in the desert. Although there were more trees than before, the land around us was still pretty barren. It was quiet. For once in a while, it was peacefully quiet. Just like the forests back home. It was nice. Then the silence was broken by my phone on full blast. I began to dance.

The song started with its rapid beat as a flute sang in the background. My head bopped up and down, up and down, up and down.

I sang along with the lyrics. I swayed from side to side as I walked along. Joel ignored me and kept his attention strait. After a moment, I was tapping the palm of my hand against my chest to the beat of the song as I sang, as my phone darted back and forth as I held it in my other hand. I grew out of breath after minuet of rapid movements and dancing. Retreating from these dance moves, I looked around at my surroundings as I rarely did, singing the main chorus aloud.

The skies above were cloudy like before. You know what that means? Yes, it was cold as hell again. However, it was warmer than before, because the sun was poking through the grey clouds above, letting a few rays of sunlight shine though several holes above. Trees around was were equally alive and dead. Some were bushy with leaves or pine needles, while the rest were dried and shrivled. Some were fallen over, broken off from their trunks. No animals were in our sight other than Joel beside me.

It was until a solo segment came on was when Joel started barking in alarm. I stopped in mid-motion. My hands were positioned as if I was playing a flute. I looked at joel, and he was looking to our right.

"Huh? What is it?" I asked as I stopped the music. I knelt down to him. "What is it bo-"

Then I could hear it. Barely. It was distant and hushed. Music. Just barely hearable. Someone was singing in the distance. Did I hear a saxophone as well? A piano?

"Oh my god!"

I began to run in that direction, despite my throbbing feet! I dodged trees, and hurled over fallen logs with Joel close behind. It was getting louder! I could make out what the lyrics were!

"Wait,,,this sounds familiar."

I stopped and listened. Yes, it did sound familiar. The voice, the style, the jazzy tone to it. The hell...was...was somebody watching a movie over there!? I edged forward. The music grew louder. I could hear it clearly now. I hurried forward, with Joel close on my heels. I stopped when came across a steep slope to a large area of flat land below. The only thing stopping me, was a log with dead and jagged branches that were still connected to the fallen trunk. I stood behind it and looked down, and my heart nearly skipped a beat. I thought I was seeing things!

People! I saw people! A couple of people were walking around in the area below me! Not only that, but they were soldiers! United States Army!

"Oh my god!" I gasped. "Joel, we're saved! We're saved, boy!"

Joel didn't seem as enthusiastic. He only looked forward as if he didn't notice what I said. I disregarded him, and I continued to look on, but I instantly noticed that something was different. Odd, there were people alright. Four of them. All men from what I could see. The all wore American armor. The hardcore Military gear. Three of them were walking back and forth with assault rifles. Suppressors were attached to the barrels.

"Holy shit, are those are actual military grade firearms! They have applied camos, suppressors, and sights! They have the whole nine yards down there!" I whispered under my breath.

We were safe. We weren't on any alien plant or dimension. We were home! I'll see my family again! I'll see Clair again! With those thoughts in my head, I placed one foot on the log and prepared to hop over.

"LET ME OUT OF HERE! HELP!"

A little girls' voice cried out from below. The voice was full of fear that trembled when I heard the terrified echo in my ears. I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Shut up!" A gruff voice snapped instantly after. "Just..shut...up!"

A deep growl began to spawn from the deepest pit of Joel throat. I ducked down behind the log and I remained there for few brief moments.

What is going on here?

I listened. The girl stopped yelling. There was no sound other than a hard rock song from below. Joel continued to growl louder and louder. I got nervous that we would be heard and I patted him on the chest. I shushed him, as I was struggling to listen. Joels' growling died down and he kept quiet.

"Christ, would turn that crap off?!" A female voice snapped. "That's the third time you've been watching this scene!"

I peaked up from behind the log. As curious as I was, I wanted to run away, but I had to find out what was going on. Something is wrong here. Therefor, I had to get a closer look. But I can't get to close! How can I get a closer view without getting caught? The only way I'll be able to see is by...the scope of the...rifle. No. That's to risky! What if one of them spots me? I'll probably get shot at, and my day has been bad enough already. But what if that is an actual innocent little girl down there? They could hurt her! But what if she was a terrorist? I don't know what to do here!

I looked back down the slope. I thought long and hard about what to do. Maybe just a quick glance, that's it. Just a quick peak. I just need a minuet to see what the problem is here. Nothing more.

I took the rifle off my back and wrapped the strap around my arm and shoulder for maximum stability. Pressing up against the log, I leaned on the butt of the rifle, and leaned in to look through the scope.

"Wait...I'm not loaded...am I?"

I pulled the bolt back as I leaned back from the scope. A bullet came flying out with a satisfying click. I kept pulling the bolt back until I was empty. To add onto that, I put the safety on before I looked back through the scope.

I could see better now. Through the target in the center of my vision, Incould see that there was a group of soldiers down there. All of their gear and supplies was piled up in a large cave from what I could see. I struggled to see more inside, but it was pretty dark.

It was then I saw a portion of large tire in the top right corner of my vision. I moved my aim up, and I nearly jumped in excitement. Sweet mother of God! Is that a Humvee!!? Yes, it was a large camouflaged military vehicle with a mini gun stationed on top! My mouth remained agape as I looked onward. Wouldn't I love to get my finger on that trigger!

"Woah!" I gasped in astonishment. "That is so sick! So tight!"

As fascinated as I was, I had to disregard it. I moved my aim elsewhere. It didn't take me long to discover the source of the music and sounds. There was a fifth soldier facing away from me watching a movie on a television screen. He was leaned back on a chair away from me and he had what appeared to be a beer can in his hand. He took a sip and burped loudly, just a little louder than the Telivision. On the T.V screen, there was a guy hanging from a clock tower by a chord on a stormy night.

"Dude seriously! Watch something else for God's sake while you're on break. You driving me crazy with this shit!"

The same female voice shouted this with more malice than before. She came up from behind him and kicked at his chair. The man lurched forward from the force of the kick . He turned around and glared at her. He just at her with....glowing...green eyes. Glowing eyes.....what on Earth!? His eyes were glowing green! I could see it plain as day! I blinked rapidly to see if I had something in my eye. I looked up at the girl, and she had glowing eyes too when she turned to walk in the other direction! These aren't American soldiers! They couldn't be! They can't even be Human!

"What in God's name?" I yelled in my head.

"Hey, do you see so thing up there? Yeah! What is that up there!"

Oh no.

In my scope, I spotted an African American soldier pointing a finger in my direction. Right at me.

I instantly ducked down as I let out a faint gasp!

"Shit shit shit shit!" I cursed, pleading that I wasn't noticed.

"Hello?! Hello!? Is it a guard!?" The girl was screaming again. Upon listening, I heard a southern twang to her voice. I also heard the sound of something banging against glass, as if she was trapped in something. Wait, the Humvee! They must have her in the Humvee!

"Help me please! get me out of here!"

"Hey! HEY! Shut up, you little shit!"

"Jesus man, just put one in her head already! I can't stand her! We got enough at the camp already anyway!"

My eyes widened. My stomach lurched in fear as a gigantic lump in my throat formed.

"NO! NO! Please! Let me go!"

"God, will you just. SHUT! UP! I'm trying to watch this movie!"

I peaked up from the log once again. Nobody was paying attention to me, but one guy was walking toward the Humvee, with a silenced pistol gripped in his hand!

"Oh my god." I gasped. "Oh my god! Holy shit!"

I panicked! My mind was racing as my heart was pounding! They were gonna kill her! Shoot her down like a rabid dog!! What do I do, let her die!? She only a little girl! I had to do something! I can let this go by! But if I do anything, then they'll kill us! What do I do!?

I hid behind the log, desperate ideas were running through my head! If I do anything, I'll get killed as well!

"Run." I whispered. "Just run, and get help! Get someone who is better equipped to do something like this!"

I sprang into the air and began to run in the opposite direction. Joel stood behind and whined. I looked back at him and told him to come and he refused. I glared at him and I began to run in the other direction! If I was gonna do this, I have to be quick!

"I wanna go home!" She screamed the top of her lungs.

I stopped. Time slowed down. My heart was throbbing with sympathy and sadness. I wanted to run, but she was gonna die! Frustrated, I kicked the trunk of a tree. The pain in my feet doubled.

"How can I? How can I just run away like this? Like a coward. I'm like a coward."[i\]

I stopped kicking and I looked back.

"She needs my help, and I'm running away. I'm not running away from this! I can't! If I do, she dies, and I can't allow that!"

I felt something inside. This anger. This Boiling rage! The same feelings I felt when I watched Joel get dragged away back home.

"No! I can't let this happen! I can't let these monsters kill; an innocent little girl! It's not fair!"

I ran back to the log and set positioned myself.

"I'm going to save her!"

I snatched a bullet up from the ground and jammed it into the rifle.

"And these pieces of shit won't stand in my way!"

"No no! Please!"

Through the scope, I looked at the Humvee, and I saw the door wide open, with the soldier was reaching a hand inside!

"Now's the time!!" I screamed in my head. "Pull the trigger! PULL IT!!"

I set my sights in the center of the T.V! I turned the safety, and I let out a ferocious roar as I pulled back the metal trigger with all of my might!

POW!


************


The bullet sprang from the barrel of Trevor's rifle at a speed no naked eye could see. It spiraled through the air in a strait line as it drew closer and closer to the target. In less than a second, the end of the bullet barely missed the rim of the beer can in the mans' hand, before the tip crashed into the T.V just as the movie ended and the credits began.


************

My ears rang as the force of the recoil shot up my arm and into my shoulder.

The T.V flew back with a explosion of metal parts and pieces of shattered glass as the man watching it fell back in surprise! He fell to the ground, falling hard on his back. He yelled in surprise as he scrambled to get to his feet, dropping many F-bombs as he did. I looked over at the Humvee. I hoped and prayed that the girl was alright. The door was wide open. The man had his hand inside, most likley clamped down on her leg or arm. Everyone was frozen still. Nobody moved. Nobody spoke.

"DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HER!" I bellowed.

"You!" I shouted. "You by the Humvee! Throw you gun into the car! Far from you!"

The man stood there speechless as he turned his head into my direction.

"Oh shit Trevor! What are you doing!? What are you doing!? You're gonna get yourself killed just run! Run far way from this place!!"

"DO IT!" I screamed, fighting the thoughts in my head.

He did as I told. He tossed the gun into the Humvee. I heard it clang against the other end of the interior.

"Close the door! NOW!"

He did as I told. Making slow movements, he pushed the door shut. Before the door closed, I could hear the little girl cry in relief, only to be muffled by the door.

"Step away from the vehicle! Hop to it!"

He followed my commands. Taking slow steps, he inched further and further away from the militarized vehicle. I could only hear the buzzing in my ears and the pounding of my heart.

"Now all of you!" I shouted as I searched the ground for a bullet, never taking my eyes out from the scope.

"Get into a group! Do it!" All five soldiers cautiously made their way to form a cluster right in the middle of my vision.

My fingers brushed along a small metal tip. I snatched up the bullet and quickly loaded the bullet in, the clicks made it easy for everyone to hear. I cocked the rifle again.

"Ok. Here's how this is gonna go down! Ya'll are gonna drop every last weapon you have! Right...now!"

They weren't moving.

"I have my sights set on one of you dick skins! You don't know who I'm aiming at, so DON'T TEST ME! Lose the weapons!"

Each of the slowly removed all of their weapons. As if they read my mind, they all threw them forward.

"Good. You read my mind!" I shouted awkwardly.

"Yeah? And how is this gonna go down! What do you think you're doing here, asshole!? Something tells me you don't know what you're doing! You're no soldier! I can hear the trembling in your voice! You weren't even loaded there!" The T.V man shouted. "You could've killed me! You don't even know how to aim properly!"

"I missed you on purpose, Einstien!" I shot back. "Now shut you damn mouth!"

The man remained silent. They all remained in their spots, completely motionless. My heart pounded.

"Alright!" I shouted. "How many do you have! How many captives do you have with you!"

They were reluctant to answer. They looked at each other, hoping that someone will answer me.

"HOW....MANY!?

"Two." Someone squeaked.

"Two." I said to myself. "Savages."

I rewrapped my fingers along the wooden body of the rifle, searching for words to say amongst the silence.

"Alright." I said. "Alright, the female there is gonna let them out!"

Among the group of soldiers, her head poked up as she heard me call her out.

"Yeah you!" I confirmed. "Move it! That's an order!"

She continued to stare at me with a questionable look on her face. She just gave me this blank glare...that slowly turned into a malevolent grin. I got worried. I felt it in my gut that something was up. She knew something that I didn't.

"What are you doing!" I shouted as I removed my head from the scope. "Move i-"

Just then, something whizzed by me and exploded once it came into contact with the scope! Small bits and pieces of glass exploded as my eyes instantly closed and were held tight on instinct! I screamed as I fell to the ground. A piece of glass flew by the skin of my right cheek and dragged a sharp point through my soft flesh. A sharp pain was the last thing I felt before my back was slammed to the ground, and this all happened in less then a second.

On reaction, Joel began to bark and snarl in a manner I never heard him do before. I rested a hand on my bleeding cheek.

"Joel?"

His fangs were bared as saliva dripped from his mouth. He was crouched slightly as his tail was tucked in between his legs, and his ears were flattened against his skull. With the hair on his back on end, Joel continued to snarl like a hound strait from hell!

"Joel?"

PSHH

Joel released a high pitched yelp as he fell onto his side! Blood and fur flew in all directions and he collapsed onto the dirt with a thump!

"Joel! JOEL!!"

Suddenly, I was assaulted by a wave of silenced bullets! I screamed as I felt dozens upon dozens whoosh right past me, smashing into the log. Shards of wood flew, as I flattened myself on the ground and closed my eyes, praying that this wouldn't be the day that I die!

"HOLD IT!"

The bullets stopped abruptly, leaving me in a quivering state of fear. Nothing happened as I lied there in the dirt like a coward. Then I heard laughing. Several maniacal cackles from beyond. Hidden behind trees.

I looked up from the dirt, only to see several more soldiers hooping and hollering with glee. Pointing at me like a bunch of children teasing another. Then I heard the whining. A long and drawn out high pitched whine, full of pain. On instinct my eyes darted to my right, and I saw Joel lying on his side, crying. His chest heaved in and out with each breath. The fur of his coat was stained with a streak of red on his upturned side.

"JOEL!"

I threw myself over to him. My hands hovered and trembled over his body! I pressed my hands against the long wound in his flesh, but he kicked and yipped in agony!

"Oh god oh god oh god! What do I do!?"

"You do absolutely nothing." A voice said behind me. "Not a thing, my boy!"

Looking back, I saw somebody walking up to me from behind! With no time to think, I yanked my revolver from my jeans and positioned myself between Joel and him in the same blinding rage! I had the barrel pointed right in between his eyes as I began to sob with anger!

"What did you do! What did you do!!?" I shrieked as my hands were gripped so tight on the handle! "You bastard!"

The soldier stopped a couple meters before me. He wore a full set of American armor. He wore a bandana on his face as well as a pair of dark sunglasses. He stood there for a moment before he slowly rose his hands up to his head.

"Hey hey heyyy." He said with a calm tone. He made a flicking motion with his hand and every soldier behind him appeared from behind trees, all armed.

"No need for violence, yeah?"

"You hurt my frend!" I cried. "You bastard! You could've killed him! You could've killed ME!"

*chik chik*

A clicking sound came from the darkness of a bush to my right. Before I could react, my shoulder was blown back in an instant by a force that I couldn't see. Pain exploded in my shoulder, as it felt like it was dislocated on impact! A loud pop rang in my ears as I screamed out loud! My body spun around from the blow, leaving my back side exposed!

POW!

Another shot was fired. Next thing I knew, I was sprawled on the ground, the center of my back and my shoulder were on fire. I rolled around on the ground, screaming until my throat was burning with my hand clutching my throbbing shoulder.

Out form the shadows emerged a hand wearing a leather glove, gripped onto a Glock 19. Smoke fumed from the barrel as it was pulled back into shadows, followed by a clicking sound, and what sounded like the clip being slid out.

Crying from the throbbing in my shoulder and back, I only lied there in the dirt, looking up at man who gunned me down. The stranger approached me, taking slow but long steps. The stranger only stopped a few inches from my face. The person knelt down to me. He looked into my pleading eyes as I did him.

Pulling the helmet off, long blue hair came tumbling out, blocking out her eyes. Next, a bandana was pulled out from a pocket. A plain green bandana, stained with sweat the was built up on days upon days. The shooter pulled back the hair to reveal a women's face. A women with tomato red skin and ocean blue hair.

She wrapped the bandana around her head, covering most of her hair from view. After that, she just stared at me while I was panting heavily in fear.

"Please...please." I squeaked, as I slowly raised a hand. "Please."

She stared directly into my eyes. Then she looked down at my throbbing shoulder. She smirked at me, the laugh instantly began to turn into a chuckle.

"Pssst." She was whispering very softly, as if she was telling me a secret. "Notice how there is much blood coming out?"

I only looked at her in confusion, then, slowly proceeding her words, I looked down at my shoulder and I removed my hand. There was no blood. None at all. No matter how bad my shoulder and back were pounding with pain, there was no blood.

"Seems a bit odd, yeah?" She said a little louder than before, allowing the others to hear. "Psssh. You're pathetic. You're weak! Like a little....lost....puppy."

She took out her clip and practically shoved it in my face.

"Rubber bullets!" She howled. "You're acting like it's the real thing...when you...YOU got hit with a couple rubber bullets!!? HA!"

Soldiers let out more manical cackles behind her.

"You. You all could've killed my dog." I wheezed. "You could've killed him!"

"No?" A voice came from behind her. Foot sets grew louder as he came closer.

The women grinned at me as she stepped aside The masked marksmen came stomping from behind her and he towered over me as I lied on the ground below. In his hand was a rifle. The same silenced rifle he used to attack us with.

"He'll be fine. It's just a graze after all. Do you wanna know how I can tell?"

I didn't say anything in return. Instead, he lifted the butt of the gun high up into the air as he glared into my eyes.

"I missed on purpose, Einstein."

The last thing I saw the butt of his gun being bashed against my face, washing me over in a white flash of white before plummeting me into a infinite abyss.