• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 596 Views, 32 Comments

A Faceless Nightmare - Phantomslayer230



Darkness and evil is spreading all over equestira. And the creture responsible is on a quest for vengence. Only one pony can stop him but no one knows where they are or who they are.

  • ...
3
 32
 596

chapter 2

After a hour and a half train ride from Ponyville to the Crystal Empire. Although to the dismay of about 96.5% of the other passengers. The usually peaceful train ride felt all the more longer thanks to 6 mares talking, arguing, and laughing. Oh sweet Celestia, the laughing. Also there happened to be one mare in particular who never shut up or stopped shouting. After what seemed like mere minutes ( or weeks depending on your point of view). The train came to screeching halt. Twilight and her friends took all of 40 seconds to gather their things. Yet when they finished every single pony on the train was already gone. Even the conductor was nowhere to be seen.

"Hmmmm. I guess pony's are excited for the fair." Twilight thought completely oblivious to her groups antics during the train ride.

******************

The Crystal Empire was always a beautiful city. With everything being shiny and made of crystal. Even the pony's who live here have coats and manes that are shiny and seem to be made of crystals. As the group walked the noticed that the entire city was decorated for the fair. Crystal Empire flags hung from every house and street lamp. Also various shops were being set up with many different good available for purchase. Throngs from crystal corn on the cob, and crystal berry pies. To hay woven hats and baskets, and crystal Flugelhorns. Remembering the last fair Twilight carefully avoided the flugelhorn stand.

As Twilight and her friends approached the center of the city they approached the Crystal palace. The towering centerpiece of the entire city. A gigantic crystal structure standing around 50 to 60 feet tall. Give or take a few stories, no pony has bothers to measure it's height. Standing under the main supports of the castle were three guards. Two of them were obviously crystal pony's. With shiny coats and silver guards armor. However the third guard was different. He wasn't a crystal pony. In fact, he was a Pegasus. With a bright orange coat, and two-tone bright and dark blue mane and tail. He wore golden royal guards armor. Twilight recognized this guard instantly.

"Flash Sentry." Twilight spoke trying to maintain her royal composure. "I assume the three of you have been assigned as our escorts?"

Flash and the other guards bowed their heads before Flash spoke.

"Yes your highness. Princess Cadence has insisted that we accompany you for the duration of your stay. She has also requested your presence in the throne room."

"Then lead on sirs."

Flash and the other guards rose up and Flash motioned Twilight and her friends to follow. Though not before shooting Twilight and rather sly smile, causing her to blush ever so slightly.

After a short walk through the castle, Twilight and her friends were lead into the throne room, where Cadence was waiting for them.

"Cadence!"

"Twilight, it's so good to see you again. And under such happy circumstances as well. I have so many questions to ask you. How have you been? How's your new castle?"

"Everything's great, but your letter said that you and Shining had some big news. Speaking of which where is Shining?"

Not long after twilight spoke, the doors to the throne room opened, and a large white unicorn clad in large gold and silver armor walked into the room. Twilight hardly recognized her brother in his new armor.

"Twily. ahh I missed you kid, how have you been."

After shining spoke he gestured to the guards to wait outside.

"I've been great, but I'm not telling you anything until I finally hear your big news. We did spend and hour on the train to hear it."

"Well then sorry, kid. We already planned on telling you guys over dinner."

Twilight gave out a frustrated breath and hung her head in disappointment. She soon felt a soft hoof on her shoulder and looked up to see Cadence looking down at her.

"Hey look at the bright side. You get the hear our news eventually. Also now you have time to enjoy the fair. You know without trying to fend off King Sombra."

"Ya that sounds like great idea sugarcube. Lets go enjoy the fair."

"Ya come on. I've got a jousting tournament to win."

With that rainbow flew out the doors to the castle only to return with a rather embarrassed expression on her face.

"Ummmm, sorry but, Wheres the jousting gear?"

One of the crystal guards assigned to the group lead rainbow toward the barracks to get her fitted while the other walked off to enjoy the crystal fair.

After they left. Cadence gave a worried look to her husband.

"How do you think she'll react?"

"I think, she'll be happy. But to be honest......I don't know."

********************

The crystal fair was similar to how it was last time. Only this time it was much more lively. There were dozens of ponies running stands and selling goods. as well as hundreds ponies who were no longer clinically depressed. Everypony was doing something different. Rainbow headed off to the jousting match, fluttershy headed for the petting zoo that she ran last time. ( that is before she was hired to joust rainbow.) Rarity, Applejack, and Spike went to wander around the fair, and as for Pinkie. Twilight saw her heading for the flugelhorn stand, so Twilight thought it would be a good time to leave. She still had the book she was studying in her saddle bag, so she found a nice quiet hill side to just sit down and read. Twilight opened her book to the marked page and continued her reading.

Dark magic is renowned for not only being the most mysterious and possibly the most powerful form of magic ever devised. But many experts claim that is is also the most dangerous. Not nearly in the power is posses, but also in the very nature of the magic itself. While dark magic is still very much an unknown phenomenon, experts believe that dark magic has a dire consequence of it's use. Some believe that dark magic is so powerful because the magic itself actually feeds off of the soul of it's caster. Out of the few existing reports of ponies using dark magic, there is one that may support this theory.

Approximately 53 years after the banishment of Nightmare Moon. And young unicorn stallion any the name of constellation was reported to have used dark magic against his mentor Star Swirl the Bearded. Reports state that the young unicorn was a kind and he tap stallion, but at some point during his studies with Star Swirl, he became more violent and cruel. One day he lashed out at his mentor using what can only be described as dark magic. Further examination of the incident shows that......

"Wouldn't rather read something less depressing?"

Twilight jumped at the sudden voice that came from next to her. She whipped her head around to see non-other than Flash Sentry sitting on the grass beside her.

"How long have you been sitting there?"

"Since about 30 seconds after you opened the book." Flash spoke as if it was no big deal. How ever Twilight look slightly annoyed.

"Ok first off, why are you up here? And second, why didn't you make your self known sooner?"

"We'll first, I was assigned as you escort. And we'll....." Flash started to speak in a softer tone as he scratched the back of his head with his hoof. "I guess I would like to spend more time with you."

Twilight looked at him with a shocked expression until Flash spoke again.

"And second, I just wanted to see your reaction to the while sudden, OMG there is a pony next to me, thing." Flash spoke with significantly more confidance now.

Twilight simply smiled and invited Flash to stay. The two of them sat on the hill and talked. They talked about how things were going. Their favorite hobbies and even a little bit about their "feelings" toward one another. The two of them talked for about two and a half hours. Only occasionally being stopped by the sudden sound a brass instrument blaring through the streets of the fair. Finally a crystal guard found them and told them that it was time for dinner.

"Finally." Twilight thought to herself. "Now we'll finally get to hear Cadences big news.

******************

Princess Celestia was was seat upon her throne in Canterlot, enjoying some idle conversation with her sister Luna. Suddenly a Pegasus courier entered the throne room looking quite winded. Celestia motioned for him to come forward.

"Princess, i have *pant* a letter *pant* from the Fillydelphia *pant* police department."

Celestia took the letter. Not long after the courier collapsed on the floor. A few guards carried him out of the throne room and flare the infirmary. Celestia opened the letter read out loud so her sister could hear her.

Dear, princess Celestia

My name is sharif redwood. I'm thought it best that I inform you of a recent development here in Fillydelphia. Late last night, a earth pony entered the police station by the name of Phantom Seeker. He began rambling on about some "demonic unicorn" he swears he met. His rambling sounded like those of a mad man. However if he is telling the truth I can't let this incident go unanswered. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest clue on what to do in this situation. If you could help our investigation in any way it would be much appreciated

Sincerly, sharif Redwood

Celestia lowered the letter, a puzzled expression on her face she turned to face Luna before they exchanged a single name.

"Twilight?"

"Twilight."

Author's Note:

I know that the chapters are kind of short right now, but they will be longer once things get more interesting. But don't worry, this is important stuff too.
Also I got done with this chapter a little early so that's why it's coming out two days early. I thought it would be nice to get to work chapter three. Hope your enjoying the story so far.