• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 597 Views, 10 Comments

Away from home - Silver Sea



Nebula gets drafted by the Equestrian NASA

  • ...
 10
 597

Goodbyes

A loud knock broke the silence of the Apple Family's home. Apple Shine opened the front door.

"Who is it- Oh, Nebula, nice to see ya! Sleep well last night?"

"Yes, I did, but I need to show you something very important." He handed her the letter.

"What's goin' on, sis?" Buckley, the Apple family colt, had made his way down the stairs and heard two voices at the door. Naturally, he investigated.

"It says here that... aw shucks no... Nebula has been drafted into service by the ENASA! They're gonna ship him off into space!" Apple Shine looked at Nebula and wrapped her hooves around his neck. "This is horrible! Ah'm so sorry!"

"It's not your fault, Shine. They have been drafting people for a while, I should have seen it coming. I have no parents, nopony to stop them. I'm sorry."

"What is going on between you two?" Buckley wqs honestly wondering why they were so sad.

"Well, ya see, Buckley, me and Nebula here are... well..."

"Dating." Nebula finished her sentence.

*GASP*

"OmtgoshthatreallyreallyREALLYdeservesapartyandIhavetogomakeone!" A pony in the room said in one breath.

"Baby Blue, how'd you get in here?"

"I just climbed in the window, silly! Have you never eavesdropped before?"

"Guys, I'm really hungry. I'm going to make some cereal."

"CEREAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?"

"You're right. I need a poptart."

"GUYS! NEBULA'S LEAVIN' THE PLANET AND YOU CAN ONLY GIVE A BUCK ABOUT BREAKFAST?"

Baby Blue's normally curly mane flattened a little bit before restoring natural puff.

"Wait, you're leaving the planet? Like, leaving the planet?"

"Yes, Baby Blue. Nebula has been drafted by the ENASA to be sent into space."

"But... he'll never go to my parties again..."

"No, Blue. I won't."

"Well, we have to throw a goodby party! Right?"

"Yes, we should. Ah think it's the best way to say bye."

"Guys, I still have a week in Equestria. We can have a party later. I just want to say goodbye to all my friends."

"Well, we'd better get goin'. Most of 'em are at school already."

The three ponies trotted out the door leaving a thoroughly confused Buckley behind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Class, today we have an announcement. Nebula has been drafted into service by the ENASA. This is his last week in class with us."

"Good riddance, blank flank!"

"See you in hell, plothole."

"Okay then! Enough farewells, I'm sure you'll be able to say bye at the party."

"How'd you know I was gonna throw a party?"

"Because you're Baby Blue."

Nebula sat down in the desk next to Apple Shine. She gave him a folded up piece of paper, which he read.

Hey. man! Why didn't you tell me you were leaving?
I'm so jealous! Do you know how many piloting simulations I've been in just to get to the boot camps?
Roy

He wrote a note to the pegasus in question saying that he could simply volunteer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Later that day, Green Petal approached Nebula shyly and asked him a question.

"Is... Is there life on other planets?"

"What?" Nebula turned to look at the mare and shot her a puzzled look.

"I was wondering if there was life on other planets."

"Yes, ponies have discovered plant life on some planets."

"If you don't mind, would you, maybe... bring back some plants for my garden? I want to breed some new orchards, and I may be able to use alien genes for that."

"That is a brilliant idea, Green Petal. If you did that, we could see if they are up to evolutionary par with us!"

"Thank you!"

"My pleasure!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Welcome to Nebula's going away party! Be sure to say bye to him!" Baby Blue greeted guests as he sat on a chair near the entrance. In the back of the room, Nebula sat next to Apple Shine.

"You know, this is probably one of the biggest parties I've ever been to."

"Not true! There was that one where all the fancy Canterlot ponies came!"

"That was a memorial, not a party."

"Well, ah remember there being cake and music."

"That was organ music and houre'douvres."

"Why are you such a downer?"

"Why, hello there! I'm in your class. My name is Sapphire. I was wondering about those wonderful uniforms the ENASA have ponies wear. Do you have yours?" A blue unicorn mare broke the conversation and spoke directly to Nebula.

"No, I don't. Why?"

"They are simply delightful! The design is streamlined yet stylish, and the material is so soft and breathable! I simply must have one!"

"Well, then you can sign up for the program."

"Hmm... A fashion designer who has taken inspiration from the universe... I think I just might!" She walked off and started talking to other ponies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nebula woke up in the morning in bed with a red mare next to him. He smirked and then suddenly remembered the date. He shook the mare awake.

"Apple Shine! Apple Shine! Wake up!"

She turned over and opened her eyes.

"Hello, handsome."

"Apple Shine, I have to go today."

Her eyes shot wide open once he said this and seemed to stare into his face with a mixture of fear and sadness.

"I better get up."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everypony in Ponyville watched as Nebula climbed aboard the helicopter and said a few parting words to his hometown.

"I have lived here my entire life. You ponies have helped me through thick and thin, and never once refused to assist me in my times of need. It feels bad to say it, but I must. Goodb-"

"WAITWAITWAITWAIT FOR ME!" A shout rang out through the crowd as a crimson earth pony dashed her way through the masses. As she approached the helicopter, the crowd parted and the red mare galloped straight into the helicopter.

"Ah couldn't let you go. Ah just couldn't. Ah'm comin' with ya."

A large "Awwwww..." rang out. The two figures held each other in longing.

Another shout rang out.

"Hey, If she gets to go then I get to go!" A pegasus stallion with a short rainbow mane flew up over the crowd and landed beside the helicopter.

"I am Roy Gerald Biv and I am the best pilot in all of Equestria!"

Another pegasus, this time a mare, came up to the front.

"I want to come. I want to see all the animals and plants the universe has to offer." The green mare slowly walked up to the helicopter and boarded.

"I will come too! I must gain fashion knowledge with a pilgrimage across the stars!" The blue unicorn from the night before strode up and climbed aboard the nearly full helicoter.

"I'm in too! The universe needs party throwers like me!" Finally, a saturated blue stallion bounced onto the helicopter.

"If that's all the ponies getting on, then we need to get on our way to Canterlot!" The annoyed pilot called out before turning the engines on and taking off.

And so, the six ponies set off on an adventure that would forever change their lives and the universe as we know it.