• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 3,689 Views, 46 Comments

The Form of Evil - RainbowsAreMagic



Twilight is consumed by darkness, but only on the outside.

  • ...
7
 46
 3,689

Prologue: Everfree

SOMEWHERE IN THE EVERFREE FOREST...

It was a beautiful day (or at least as close as it came to that, deep in the Everfree Forest), and Twilight had just shared a most enjoyable visit with Zecora. It wasn't often that the two had the opportunity to visit, but Twilight had an excuse: she was currently working on a project studying zebra magic and its similarities to the magic possessed by earth ponies.

It was really a fascinating subject. The zebra shamans' magic came primarily in the form of alchemy. They were adept in the creation of potions, poultices, and herbal remedies; this skill also extended into finding new ways to use plants and fungi. Indeed, the tea Twilight had shared with Zecora had been one of the zebra's own creations. Twilight wasn't entirely sure what was in it, but the rhyming zebra had assured her it was safe, and that it would also make her resistant to magical illusions for a time. Almost all of Zecora's creations had some similar trait, from boosting immune response to improving memory.

The interesting thing about the zebra magic was that its effects could often be replicated without magic. The main magic involved was actually imbued within the shamans themselves, allowing them a perfect understanding of their craft. Once the zebras had made a recipe, anyone could follow it and achieve similar results.

Likewise, the magic possessed by earth ponies was similarly imbued within the pony. Applejack was a great example of this principle, as her magic provided her with strength and endurance, along with the skill to make her apple trees grow with greatly increased health. Any pony could grow an apple tree, but Applejack's grew faster and stronger than they would otherwise, and produced quantities of fruit far in excess of the normal amount per season…

A sharp glint in the shrubs beside the path caught Twilight's attention. There was something there, a piece of golden jewelry, at first glance. Perhaps somepony had dropped it here by accident. As she pulled it free from the bushes, she realized that it was no ordinary two-bit item. No, this tiara was no less than the priceless Element of Magic itself. The powerful magic radiating from the artifact was more than enough to confirm her identification.

Twilight moved to put the tiara in her saddlebags, only to realize that she hadn't brought them with her. The visit to see Zecora had been a social one; there had been no need. Twilight sighed, putting on the tiara. She could simply wear it until she reached the library. As the pony who now guided its power, she had the right, after all.

The rest of the walk back was uneventful. The library itself was empty, but this was not particularly concerning; Spike was helping Rarity today. Twilight took a moment to wonder exactly how Spike could help Rarity. He couldn't very well model for her, being the only creature in existence with his particular body shape, and he wasn't well-suited to manual labor. After a moment, the unicorn shook her head, putting the matter out of her mind.


PONYVILLE LIBRARY

Twilight quickly wrote a letter to Princess Celestia. It was simple and direct, informing her that the missing Element of Magic had been found, and not to worry about it. There would be no need to continue the search. She left it on her desk where she knew Spike would see it - he'd know to send it to the princess.

In the meantime, a new shipment of books had come in from Canterlot, including a few texts on magic sent by her mentor. Twilight couldn't wait to see what mysteries might lie within, so she hurried through taking inventory and settled down to read.

She never saw Spike come in, so focused she was on her reading. She never saw him accidentally knock down a pile of scrolls, and she never saw him put back one more scroll than had fallen.