• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 1,675 Views, 39 Comments

Sun's Fire - Discordia5



Eris wasn't always so alone, at some point she was happy. At some point Solaris came into her life.

  • ...
8
 39
 1,675

Sun's Fire

Sun’s Fire

Eris had thought that it took a lot to become a monster, turns out it was the easiest thing in the world, almost natural to her. She didn’t even have to try in most cases. She would just poof out of nowhere and they would all scramble in fear and in some ways, this made her angry but in some ways it made her ecstatic. They didn’t even need to see her powers, they didn’t want to see anything else, and this above all else, made her indignant towards their fear for her. Just because of the way she looked, not even the things she did, and she tried plenty of things. At first it was just small things like making the chocolate milk rain and soapy roads. Other times it was big things, making the roads move, making trees come alive, and even huge weather changes. Tornados would rage in orchards, blizzards would cut through the clouds, and the sun burned in every city without remorse or mercy.

Eris had no idea her powers could have stretched so far. She even tried to raise the sun and moon herself. She did it with so much ease it almost frightened her. Every time she got bored during the day she would raise the moon and make it night time. She had yet to see the brothers try and stop her even though her influence was starting to stretch far beyond Canterlot. It was so easy to become a monster. It was easy to become something that she always was. In the eyes of the ponies she was something unnatural, something evil, all because her kind of fun was a little disruptive and she didn’t quite fit in with their norms in appearance. She would show them, she would show them all what chaos’ beauty was like!

She lounged on a cotton candy cloud and watched as the ponies galloped away from all of her creations and she couldn’t help laughing at their frightened faces. They looked ridiculous, did they even know how stupid they looked running away from a fluffy rock or a flying clock. Ha, time flies! she thought and laughed at her own internal joke. It had already been a few days since the Gala and neither Solaris nor Artemis bothered to show their faces. Every day she grew hopeful that Solaris would come and tell her how beautiful Equestria was now that it had no rules to abide by, now that it was free and full of magic and wonder! He didn’t come and when he did it wasn’t to congratulate her…

Solaris and Artemis stood inside their castle, they each stood before their throne and looked at their brave soldiers. Solaris stepped forward and looked out at their solemn faces. No doubt most of them were scared about what would happen to them, but it was no where near the kind of fear that Solaris felt. “Our brave soldiers!” he addressed them. “You are going up against a force that not many know about, not many have had the privilege or honor of fighting the might of a draconneques.”

The soldiers collectively gulped and made faces at Solaris, as if fighting something unknown was the honor of the century sounded like the biggest blunder of a joke they had ever heard. “It’s frightening, we know, and we won’t ask you to face her head on. All we ask is that you get all of the civilians to safety or at least out of harms way.”

The soldiers looked at their rulers and knew that the last thing they wanted was to bring them into the fight. Their noble and brave rulers stood tall and straight. Their armor shined like the planetary objects they represented. It was as if they were staring up into the faces of the sun and moon themselves. “We ask that you also remain safe and unharmed, stay out of the way, let us handle Eris,” Solaris said.

Artemis looked over at his brother with concern. He wasn’t supposed to have lapsed into the informal. They discussed it. Eris was now the enemy, the oppressor, the object of fear and hatred throughout the land. It had to be ‘her’, ‘the draconneques’, or ‘the enemy’ especially when directing the soldiers. He knew that Solaris hated this arrangement and hated that things had to be that way, but what else could be done? Artemis hated it too. Just when they were starting to become friends, just when things started to go their way, things crumbled down around them in landslides. “Dismissed!” Solaris called and turned away from them.

He kept the strong and brave pose until he heard the double-doors close behind them. He dropped his facade and everything about him slumped down in defeat and misery. His head bowed, his shoulders slumped, his knees buckled, Artemis had never seen his brother so thoroughly defeated. “What will we do, Artemis?” he asked softly and dragged his hooves to his room.

“What we must,” Artemis said simply.

It was such a simple answer. The taste of it on Solaris’ tongue made him feel sick. ‘What they must’? As if they didn’t have a choice, they had plenty of choices, but he wondered if any of them were even the right ones besides the one that they decided was the right one. “What we must,” he growled. “How do we know this is what we ‘must’ do?!”

Solaris turned on Artemis and his eyes glowed dangerously, madly. They burned through him like his proud sun. He never saw Solaris like that not even at his angriest he never lost control like that. “Why do we have to do this?” he asked him and approached him slowly.

Artemis backed away and cowered at his brother’s aura. It slowly became more and more physical. His magic radiated off of him like the heat off of the sun. “Why couldn’t you keep an eye on her?” he growled. “Why couldn’t you have kept her busy like you were supposed to?”

Artemis’ heart hardened with each word his brother spoke. “Why couldn’t I have stayed with her?” he continued. “Why did you have to get in the way?!”

Artemis reared back and his hoof came down on his brother’s cheek… hard. Solaris slammed down onto the ground and he groaned from the pain. Artemis looked down at him with disdain and disgust. Solaris in turn looked up at him with confusion and hurt. “Do you think you’re the only one that blames himself?!” Artemis shouted in his Canterlot voice. “Do you think you’re the only one who’s lost something here?!”

Solaris cowered before his younger brother. Artemis stopped using the voice and just looked down at him, his eyes brimming with unspilled tears. “You didn’t just lose a lover,” he said and turned away from him. “I lost a friend.”

Artemis walked away and started for his own quarters, no doubt to prepare for the oncoming battle. Solaris stood back up and felt the sizeable bruise that Artemis had left on his cheek. He had never seen his brother have so much command before. In all things Artemis was usually the level-headed one, the logical one, but sometimes his emotions got the better of him and he would act out - fortunately, though, it was usually for the better. Solaris even thought that sometimes Artemis was more fit to rule over Equestria than him. Soon the brothers met in the courtyard armed to the teeth and ready for battle. They exchanged looks of worry, sadness, and resignation. They had to do this, they had to try.

Eris cackled as lightning struck the tail of a stallion and he ran around with his tail on fire until he dunked it into a puddle of chocolate milk. “Ooo, that’ll be sticky later!” she said and continued to snort and guffaw at her own humor.

Soon she heard the flapping of wings and the clink of armor. She looked up and saw two figures flying for her. She knew who they were, but ignored the warnings her mind concocted and waited for them to land. Solaris was the first to touch the ground. He looked up at her with stern resignation and she knew that this was going to be her last chance to cooperate before they were forced into action. Well, now they had her interest, what were they waiting for?

Solaris and Artemis landed gently and waited until every pony had evacuated the area before they spoke. They knew her attention would be on them, she would expect them to talk her down and wish that they would join her side instead as they also wanted her to do as well. She was a valuable ally and would be even after all of this. There had to be a way to get through to her. “Eris!” Solaris called up to her.

“Yes, Shiny?” Eris called back.

Even in such circumstances she still called him by that name. It struck him low and she knew it would. “This has gone too far!” he continued. “Surrender to us and we can work this out, we can repair the damage that has been done if you give yourself over quietly.”

Eris poofed off of her cloud and floated in front of them with a sneer on her face. “Really, just like that?!” she asked, her tone sounding very exaggerated and sarcastic. “Oh that sounds so generous of you two, but I have another deal in mind!”

With that she poofed before Solaris and her claw gently caressed his face lovingly. “Why do we have to fight, Shiny?” she asked, her voice soft and pleading. “Why can’t you just accept that this is the way the world is? You two could join me and we could show Equestria the passion of chaos, the beauty of disorder.”

He wanted to, her touch was so soothing and so loving. Her words made sense and he wanted to forget this whole thing and be with her again as they were before and more. “Join me, Solaris,” she whispered again.

He leaned into her and was almost about to comply until Artemis spoke up. “You must stop this, Eris!” he cried and stepped between them. “This isn’t our Equestria, you have thrown off the balance of harmony and order and we must protect it as its rulers!”

Solaris blinked and shook his head to clear it Artemis was right, of course, but what had Eris done to almost dissuade him like that? “Ha, you two have learned nothing from your own home!” she said. “Has the Everfree forest taught you nothing?”

They both looked at her curiously. “Hasn’t it shown you that the world is full of chaos and disharmony?” she asked. “That the world can live and thrive and be beautiful without order.”

The brothers looked at each other and then back to her. She had to be joking, the Everfree Forest was perilous and dangerous, full of monsters and wild magic surely she could see that it also had many flaws and drawbacks? “No? Well then, I’m afraid I’ll have to show you myself,” Eris said and her hands glowed with a powerful aura.

The brothers ducked as her energy beam whizzed passed their heads and landed on a plant. It was a rose bush and it grew and grew and grew until it engulfed half of the houses on the street. Eris cackled maniacally. “Such beauty, such power, such splendor!” she called and hovered above the city. “This is how the world was born, this is how Equestria will be reborn!”

She looked down at the brothers and smiled on what she thought was very innocent, but to them looked menacing. “Together we can show this world and its ponies that they don’t need order, we can open their eyes and make them see the beauty in chaos!” she said.

“No.”

Eris looked down in shock and Solaris looked back at her with a glare. “No?” she asked.

“No, Eris!” Solaris reaffirmed.

He opened his wings and flew up to her. “The world has its share of chaos and disharmony, yes, but there is also a balance of harmony and order as well,” he explained. “You have thrown off that balance and as much as we don’t want to do it, if you don’t put a stop to this madness now, we will be forced to stop it for you.”

With that Solaris took out his sword and brandished it before her. Eris looked at the blade and at Solaris. So many emotions flashed through her: hate, pain, hurt, sorrow, shame, and most of all anger. She ducked her head and let her white bangs fall over her face. “I thought you’d understand, Solaris,” she growled. “I thought you, of all ponies, would understand me, but it appears you are just like everyone else.”

She looked up and her red eyes glowed with raw power. “I will show you and all of Equestria what I am capable of!” she growled and a blast of pure energy flew straight at Solaris and punched him in the chest.

Solaris was knocked back to the ground with little air in his lungs. Eris burst out laughing. Artemis quickly took up his brother’s place and drew his own sword. “Aaaww, come to join the fun, baby brother?” Eris taunted and flung another energy beam at him.

Artemis dodged and ducked away from her onslaught and was right on top of her until…

WHAM!!

A boulder slammed down on him from out of nowhere. “BWUAHAHAHA!!” Eris laughed. “That gag never gets old!”

Solaris righted himself and growled with frustration. He flew full tilt at her. His sword came out and sliced at the air. Eris blinked and hissed as it narrowly missed her just nicking off a piece of her hair. Solaris veered back around and came at her again. This time he wouldn’t miss. Eris hissed at him and disappeared in a puff of smoke Solaris coughed violently and looked around feverishly for her. “Come out, Eris!” he shouted. “Face me!”

“If you insist,” her voice echoed around him.

Suddenly he got a face full of cream pie. “AHAHAHAHAAA!!” Eris’ laugh echoed.

Then he was hit with another and another. At this point he knew that she was just playing with them. Soon enough it was just raining cream pies from the sky. “Mmmm, tasty weather we’re having,” Eris said as she sat back on her candy cloud.

Solaris huffed and puffed as he landed. Artemis shook himself off and limped over to his brother. “She’s too powerful,” he gasped.

“I know,” Solaris replied.

“There’s got to be another way,” Artemis said.

“We’ll have to regroup, there has to be something that will help us defeat her,” Solaris said and ran in the opposite direction before taking off.

Artemis followed close behind. “Please come back soon!” Eris called. “This was the most fun I’ve had in days!”

The brothers retreated back to the castle and limped their way to the library. “Why did we come in here?” Artemis asked as he tried to straighten out his wing. “Ow, she’s too strong, we have no hope of beating her like this.”

Solaris ignored his brother and started to scour the shelves for something. He searched furiously, he knew it was there, he knew there was a way! “What are you looking for?” Artemis asked and started to duck from the books being flung around the room.

“I remember reading something about a deep magic, something powerful, but has been lost for years,” Solaris explained.

Finally he stopped and flipped another page before landing on what he was looking for. “The Elements of Harmony,” he said and dropped the book next to Artemis.

Artemis scanned the page and thought that they could work against Eris, but there was a problem. “It says here their location has been unknown for centuries,” Artemis pointed out. “Where do you propose we look?”

Solaris looked down at the page himself and pointed out a passage. “It also says that their last known location was in one of the wildest places in Equestria,” he said and looked out the window to the Everfree forest. “At least we have a starting point.”

Artemis looked out as well and frowned deeply. Suddenly they heard something ramming against the double doors of the castle. Eris was no doubt right on their tails, they had to leave! “Come on!” Solaris said and dove through the window with Artemis following close behind.

It had been a few days since that little incident and Eris now knew the full extent of her powers which was anything and everything. Frankly the only things she hadn’t been able to do had been the things she hadn’t tried yet. She even managed to do a sort of mind control, more like mind manipulation which was pretty easy to do considering most of the corrupting thoughts pre-existed anyway. Taking over Solaris’ forces was easy and using them was even better. She sent them out to capture their own rulers’ castle. If she was going to be a Goddess she was going to need her own castle. For the time being, she hid out in her cave, it had a few more modifications. She looked out at the sky and knew they were still around, the sun went down as always and she watched it fall. Solaris’ proud and radiant beams of light caressed her and at the same time left burning trails all over her skin. He had rejected her at first, but soon he would see things her way.

“My dear Solaris,

you know that I am chaos itself

of my powers I am justly proud.

My dear Solaris,

you know I’m so much greater than

the common, boring, weak, and cruel crowds.

Then tell me Solaris,

why I see you standing there,

why your smoldering eyes still scorch my soul!

I feel you, I need you!

Your sun caught in your sunray hair

is blazing in me out of all control!

Like fire!

Sun’s fire!

This fire in my skin.

This burning desire

is scalding me within!

It’s not my fault!

I’m not to blame!

It was that alicorn

the one that set this flame!

It’s not my fault!

Let chaos reign.

If love is perfect chaos let it be again!

Come join me Solaris,

don’t make yourself cast that spell.

Don’t let your fire sear my flesh and bone!

Destroy this Order

and let chaos free this world!

And then you will be mine and mine alone!”

There was the clattering of hooves as one of her drones came galloping in with a new report. “My goddess, the brothers have escaped,” he said and bowed low to her.

“What?!” Eris hissed.

“They’re no where in the castle, they are gone.”

“But how-?! Never mind, get out you idiot! I’ll show him, I’ll show him even if I have to disrupt all of Equestria!” she screamed.

“Your fire, Sun’s fire!

Now Solly it’s your turn.

Choose me or your order

be mine or the world will burn!

Please forgive me my love.

Please have mercy on me.

But you will be mine or

the world will burn!”

Eris laughed out into the night to spread her glorious chaos and to show Equestria just how far she would go to reclaim her missing prince.

Author's Note:

Finally up! Sorry this took so long, but life and stuff! Anyway, more fun stuff to come, but also the last few chapters are coming up, so enjoy this incomplete status for now. This chapter was also edited by mattstheman! Thank you!

The song was inspired by these two songs, I used the female cover because I do imagine Eris' voice being somewhat like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhVkDTP8bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTx6jmKp6_o