• Published 14th Aug 2014
  • 2,533 Views, 31 Comments

Songbird's Forte - The Infinity Doctor



AU. Five-year old Elizabeth and her best friend, the Songbird, have fled Columbia after the Vox destroyed her home.

  • ...
6
 31
 2,533

The Tour

Pleasantries were soon exchanged, and he stood by the small fountain in the square, the townsfolk laying their gazes upon him as the two girls continued to talk. He shifted on his feet, his claws instinctively digging into the dirt as he leaned closer to Elizabeth. He'd be lying to himself if he didn't think the avian humanoids weren't interesting- the closest thing he saw to these creatures was the rare occasion he saw someone utilize Murder of Crows. His ears picked up the distinct sound of rattling armor rushing down the street opposite their position- his suspicion was confirmed as three humanoids in silver armor, each armed with a spear, entered the square. His wings snapped open, and he grabbed Elizabeth, much to the young girl's displeasure. Her protests went unheard, however, as he forced his wings down, shoving himself off of the ground and into the blue skies above. He kept a tight grip on his charge, careful not to crush her.

"Where are we going?!" she shouted over the roar of the wind rushing past them.

'Somewhere safe' he thought, glancing behind him as he flew.

It was no surprise to him when he glanced back, and spied the three soldiers flapping away behind him, attempting to catch up with him. He rolled, diving head first into a cloud bank in order to lose them. His back struck the clouds, as if they were solid objects- he let out a squawk of surprise as he landed, Elizabeth bouncing out of his loosened grip.

'No!' he shouted inwardly.

She screamed as she passed right through the clouds, falling at an incredible speed. He immediately recollected himself, and sprang up, now knowing to avoid the clouds as he raced to catch her. Snapping his wings shut, he dove, arms outstretched as he rolled, missing the gathered clouds. The clouds ended, soon, and he had a more direct path, speeding towards the screaming girl, her dress billowing as fear and terror filled her eyes.

Wind rushed past him violently, his free fall bringing him closer to his charge. A silver blur, and she disappeared from his vision. His head snapped up, and saw that one of the soldiers held her, spear hidden from view. He opened his wings, catching the draft, and soared upwards, toward his target. The humanoid saw him coming, however, and darted away, over his head, and towards the other two soldiers. He let out a primal screech, charging the group as they scattered, one being nicked by one of his wings. He saw the griffon-creature spiral, losing its helmet in the process, as it collided with one of the clouds below, grunting as he landed. The two looked at each other in confusion, before nodding to each other quickly, and darting in different directions. He sped up, giving chase to the griffon carrying his charge.

He caught up, if only a little, and beat his wings faster in an effort to make it to her. He hoped he got to them quickly, his wings were beginning grow tired, and he felt the telltale sign of his back burning from exertion, knowing he couldn't keep up the speed much longer. As he flew after him, there was one question that found itself lodged into the back of his head.

'Where did the other griffon go?'

As if to answer him in some cruel, cosmic joke, a loud screech filled the air, and felt something sharp attack him from behind, forcing him to falter, gradually slowing down. He flipped, throwing the soldier from his back as he sunk in the air, growing further apart from Elizabeth. He continued to give chase, even though his body practically commanded him to stop and rest. He wouldn't, not for anything, he wouldn't stop until the offenders were nothing but a pile of feathers. The soldier attacked again, this time flying out from under him, and slashing at his front with his dagger. He grabbed at the griffon, taking him in his hands- he squeezed, hearing the crack of several ribs; but not before the griffon slashed at the tube feeding into his beak. They fell, himself falling faster than the griffon. The tube flailed wildly as his brain clogged with darkness, filling his vision with it.

'I...I failed...Elizabeth...n-no...'

His body collided with the ground, himself losing consciousness as the soldier came down, landing not far from him.


She watched in horror as her guardian fell, his respirator severed, and crashed harshly, his body lying motionless on the ground.

"N-no...no...nonononono!" she shouted, tears streaming down her face.

'He can't be gone! He's...he's...he just can't!'

"Put me down" she said, her voice wavering.
She didn't have time to question why he did, all that mattered to her was seeing to her friend.

The soldier's wingbeats slowed, and the touched down, a good twenty-something yards from the Songbird's motionless body.

"No...no...you...please...please, no..." she pleaded, running towards the figure.

Out of breath and tears staining her face, she all but collapsed, inspecting his body carefully. Gashes and cuts filled both of his canvas-like wings, the most prominent being between his wings.

She tried, with all her might, to lift his massive frame, only succeeding in fueling her tears. Still, she didn't give up- he was always there for her, she'd return the favor, whether she succeeded or not.

A pair of claws suddenly seized his shoulder, the sounds of the griffon exerting himself making themselves known as he assisted her. The two of them continued trying to flip Songbird onto his back, his weight making it difficult. After what felt like hours, they finally managed to get him onto his side, gravity doing the brunt of the work as Songbird's left shoulder impacted with the grassy ground. She grabbed the air tube hanging limply off to the side, and connected it as best she could, the smooth ends refusing to stay together as the griffon seemed to search the rest of the body for any other injuries.

"D-do you have anything I can tape this together with? At least temporarily?" she asked, barely looking the griffon in the eye.
He nodded, removing a thin roll of gauze from within his armor.

She hastily grabbed it, and unfurled it, rolling it around the separated pieces of tubing. Two claws invaded her vision, and held the two together while she worked, making sure they were together correctly before tying a small knot. She tested it, hoping it would work for the time being. It was loose, but it should suffice until they could repair it properly. She lay her head against the bird's great chest, hearing the comforting and outlandish sounds coming from inside, like a clock constantly breaking down and repairing itself at the same time.

She sat back, exhaustion finally taking her as she stared up at the blue skies, the clouds from which she'd fallen remaining motionless, much like her friend.

"So...who are you?" she asked, her voice tired.

She received no response.

Lazily, she sat up, and spied the griffon standing over another, the second lying on the ground as he moaned in pain.

"Sweet mother of Grifia..." the first said, bending over his fallen friend.

"Hurts..." the second gurgled, groaning in pain.
"Just...just hold on, alright? We'll...we'll get you fixed up, right as rain..."

She wasn't sure he believed his own words.

He croaked once more, and was silent.

"Damn it..." the first cursed, standing as he removed his helmet, revealing the blue-tipped feathers atop his head.

He saluted, staring off into space as he held his helmet beneath his arm.

"Shriver...you were my best friend...since before boot camp..." he said, barely audible "thanks for everything, you were a damn good friend, and a helluva soldier"

The griffon turned, wiping the back of his free hand across his face.

Elizabeth felt a pang of...guilt? What for? She didn't do anything to harm him...was it regret? How could it be that? She barely knew him...

"Quick Wit" the griffon said, sitting just feet from Songbird and herself.
"Wh-what?" she asked.
"You asked who I was, my name is Quick Wit, second of the Third Patrol"
"Oh..."
"Yeah...pretty much...what's your name?"
"Elizabeth..."
"Strange name"
"So's Quick Wit"

"Yeah...if I'm so quick, how come I just watched my best friend die right before my eyes? How come I couldn't do anything?"

"Are you cryin'?"
"Yeah I'm crying," he snapped "my best friend is gone"

Her heart spiked in pain, knowing how much he was hurting, having almost gone through the same thing moments before.

"I know..."
He didn't respond, the two of them just sitting in silence.

"Is there anywhere we can take him? Where he'd be safe, I mean?" she asked, after some time.
"There's a farm a few miles up the road," he responded dejectedly "they've got a barn he could stay in, at least until medical can get to you"
"Do you think they'd let us stay there?"
"It's possible, they're kind folks- always offerin' a hot meal and somewhere ta bunk for the night to those that need it"

'I guess we'd count, then...'

"Could you please help me get him there?" she asked meekly.

The griffon sighed as he replaced his helmet, purposefully avoiding the body behind him.

"We can't lift him by ourselves," he said "I'll need to go and get help, can you stay with him and make sure he's alright?"
"Of course" she said.
'Always'

"Right then"

He snapped off a quick salute, and took off, zooming towards the village.
She sighed, and looked down at the Songbird, his eyes still dark as the gauze held, steadily restoring his air supply.

She began to whistle his favorite song, hoping it provided him comfort, and on a more selfish level, hoped it helped to bring him back.


Elizabeth watched in timid fascination as several griffons dug their claws under the Songbird's body, with several onlookers, as well as a large cart present in the field. They grunted in exertion as his frame was steadily lifted, his arms falling limply as the ground that supported them was removed. His frame sat on the large wagon, his wings hanging over the sides as he was set gently onto it.

A claw gently laid itself on her shoulder.

She turned, and found herself staring up at a griffon, this one appearing to be female.

"Y-yes?" she stammered.

Her new-found fear was understandable, she had just witnessed three of them take on the Songbird, heaven knows what they could do to her.

The griffon smiled sadly, empathy written on her face as she removed her claw.

"Poor thing- you must be so shaken up..." she said, crouching down to her level.
"Y-yeah..." she replied meekly.
"Well come along, we'll get you to the house, and maybe something to eat, yes?"

'No! What about Songbird?!'

"I...I want to s-stay with-"
"Your friend is being moved to the barn on our property, you'll just be a stone's throw from him"
"But- but why do I need to go?"
"Sweetie, I know this is hard-" she said, cupping her face.
Elizabeth flinched in response.
"-but he'll get the proper care he needs, you can come out and visit him when he's a bit better- the team promised you'll get to see him as soon as he wakes up, okay?"

'No! That's not okay!'

Her body didn't listen, however, and she nodded slowly.

"Come along then," she said, holding out her claw "we'll go and check in with the guard, then we'll see about that meal, alright?"

She couldn't help but stare at Songbird's body as they passed it, approaching the same guard who'd helped her patch up her friend. The guard was talking with three others, all wearing the same shining, silver armor as he was. The female griffon tapped Quick on the shoulder with her free hand.

"Yes?" Quick asked, turning.
"I'm taking her up to the farmhouse, is there anything else I can do?"
"Not at the moment..." Quick replied, scratching at his beak "go on, I'll have Glint escort you"
"Do we-"
"Yes, it's protocol- now git"


He struggled to breathe, his tube disconnected from his mouth as his eyes struggled to stay open. Something blurry moved in his vision, the object black from his lack of oxygen. If it decided to kill him, it certainly had ample opportunity to do so- he was practically defenseless in this situation. He wheezed, believing it to be his last breath- if lack of oxygen didn't kill him, the beast prowling in his darkened vision certainly would.

His mind registered surprise, shock, and relief as air was pumped into his mouth, being fed through the formerly-disconnected tube.
His brain still recovering, he vaguely felt something pull at his gloved-fingers, having little success as his motionless hand stayed put, followed by a distressed sigh.

'Don't...g...o...' he begged mentally, hearing the patter of feet getting quieter.

With great effort, he shifted his head, struggling to open his fist, allowing whatever it was that saved his life, to see what had piqued their curiosity. Moments later, something small and fleshy found itself into his open hand. He wasn't quite sure what it was, and he didn't care. He gently closed his fist, encasing the small thing in his embrace as he lowered his head, shielding the fragile creature in what he believed was a hug. It saved his life, and for that, he was grateful- he decided right then and there, he'd do all he could to return the favor; he'd protect it, and care for it, from now until the day he died.


"I see...and what about the creatures?" Sergeant Iron Feather asked, glancing at the corporal standing just a few feet away.
"Sergeant Quick Wit has filled out his report on the incident, the other two of his patrol are...incapacitated..."
"How?"
"One's yet to recover from a head injury, the other...isn't with us anymore, sir"
"Where are they now, corporal?"

He flipped through the stack of papers in his claws.

"They're being escorted to the Swipeston estate as we speak, sir"

"Good, they should be safe for the time being"
"Sir?"
"Yes?"
"Why would we need to keep them safe? They've already killed one soldier, and injured another"

"I'll explain when I meet with Sergeant Wit, soldier" he said, bordering on annoyance.

"Y-yes sir" the corporal stammered, handing his superior the report before scurrying off.

Author's Note:

Added content, as well as a few minor changes.

Would you kindly R&R? Post your thoughts, reviews, critiques, or whichever you prefer down below- I'd like to know how I'm doing :pinkiesmile:
What do you think?
Have at it.