• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 994 Views, 99 Comments

The Scion of Harmony - Thornwing



After everything she has accomplished, Twilight is set to face the greatest test of her life. Without her friends to help her - will she pass, or will she fail?

  • ...
3
 99
 994

Chapter Twenty-Seven – Canterlot Express

“How are we getting home?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah,” Rainbow Dash added. “I checked topside and nothing looks familiar, just some creepy old ship in the bay. I don’t even know where were are.”

“It can’t be too far, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said. “We did teleport here, did we not? Although, it might be easier to travel if we each still had our wings. I do miss those wings.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I said. Out of everypony, I could tell Rarity wouldn’t be getting over her brief alicorn encounter anytime soon. I glanced over at Starswirl, busy preening his new appendages. “How about we close up shop, and then we can try and catch a ride home?”

“A splendid idea. By all means, go ahead and close the dome, and then we can be on our way.” He backed away taking a furtive glance at the dome before nodding back at me and bracing himself against a pillar. “I have the utmost confidence in your magical abilities.” What he meant to say was, ‘let’s give you a test and see how you do with whatever new magic you’ve got in you’.

“Yeah—I can tell,” I shot back. While my wings may not have grown very much in all the changes I had been through, I could tell my horn had. I knew I had a ways to go before I grew to Celestia’s size, but it was a considerable change from what I was used to. The magical resonance I could feel within left me hesitating to perform without first testing my abilities in private. “Take cover, girls. I’m still getting used to this new magic.”

The rest took shelter with Starswirl, and I walked to the edge of the pool. I had seen the magic that was required to open the dome of the temple. The same would be needed to close it. I set my stance and aimed my horn. Calling forth the magic, I hoped I could control my new powers. Perhaps I was only scared the new powers would end up controlling me again. I wasn’t ready for that.

It started out small; a simple gathering of energy along the shaft. I waited for something else—the power level to ratchet up like the time I carried the magic of three other princesses. Strangely enough, I didn’t feel any different. The glow, the target, it all came together like a foal learning basic levitation. I reached out with the magic and pulled the golden dome closed without so much as a second thought. The hoofclaps from the gallery were hardly warranted.

Before he could corrupt the rest into celebrating what amounted to a minor victory at best, I turned my sights on the temple door. With barely a thought, my magic peeled open the entrance. “Alright everypony, let’s get out of here.”

I caught myself in a trot as I ran toward the door. Pausing at the top of the steps, only a few lengths outside, I surveyed the bay. There, anchored in the turquoise water, sat the Flying Dutchmare, just where I had left her. My heart leapt with joy at seeing the ship. I only half expected it to be there waiting, a mirage to sate my delusional euphoria, even though I had seen it earlier today.

Once the rest caught up, Starswirl set his own magic to seal up the temple. I felt that for myself, a bigger test was in order. With the ship in my sights, I focused my magic and gathered the group in my aura. A second later, seven ponies found their way to the bridge of the vessel. A little shaken, but all of us completely intact, my second test was a resounding success.

“Permission to come aboard?” I asked belatedly of a stunned first mate. The deer raised the corner of his recently restored eye.

“You’ll have to ask the captain,” Buckaneer huffed, eyeing the expanded passenger count. “She’s in her quarters below,” he added with a smile. I gave a quick salute.

“Wait here,” I said turning to my friends. “I need to have a word with the captain.” Leaving them for a moment, I hurried down the steps to the main deck. I gave a quick wave to the rest of the crew busily attending to chores and hauling more food supplies aboard. Spinning back around, I squared on the door to the captain’s quarters. In two shakes of a tail, I found myself face to face with Captain Seachelle.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, I thought I might not see you again. It’s been over a week now.” She spun around in her chair and kicked her back legs up on her desk. “I suppose it’s time to shove off. Another mission for the Guardian, if I’m not mistaken?”

“Yes, and no,” I replied. “And only if you want to, Captain.” I took a few steps toward the bookshelf at her left. Under her cautious watch, I levitated out the container holding the Guardian’s contract scroll.

“And just what do you think you’re doing with that?” she said, lowering her hooves back to the ground. I could tell from her agitation that there was little wiggle room when it came to personal matters.

“I think it’s high time we made some changes,” I replied, popping the end off the golden tube and retrieving the scroll. My actions brought Seachelle out of her chair in a flash. Lunging for the scroll, she snatched it out of my grasp.

“Don’t you think I’ve tried that?” she said, anger building in her voice. “The contract is magic and binding. Only the Guardian can make a change—not that he would make it any better, or that I’d ever agree to anything worse. This ship is bound to me, and I to it.”

“Really? Then I think you’ll like my new terms,” I said lifting the scroll out of her loosening grasp as the strange thought crept into her head. Laying it out on the desk, my magic went to work. I wiped the page clean in half a thought, and with the other half, I spelled out a new arrangement. “Take a look and see if you are agreeable to the changes.” I set a quill and inkwell at the side just in case.

“What sort of fancy magic trick is this?” Seachelle glared uneasily at me before leaning over the parchment. In an unsure and halting voice, she began to read:

“Heretofore and forever after, be it known that the Flying Dutchmare be the sole property of Captain Seachelle and crew. Sail with the blessing of the Guardian of Harmony wherever your dreams may lead. Signed, Twilight Sparkle, Guardian of Harmony, Master of Magic, and above all, Friend.”

She finished and stared up at me. “Is this for real?”

“There’s a space at the bottom to sign your name, if you like.” I nudged a hoof at the inkwell.

She dropped her gaze to the quill and eventually picked it up with a quaking hoof. Dabbling at the ink, she briefly raised her eyes to my smile. Hesitating just a moment, she dove back into her signature.

Before the ink could properly dry, she snaked around the desk and launched herself at me. I couldn’t say it was unexpected, so I was ready to receive her hug. Holding her in my forelegs, the cool splash of tears rolled down my neck as we embraced. No words were needed.

Cheek to cheek, we passed some time. Though I shed a few tears of joy in my own right, it was nothing compared to the fountain from my friend. Years of heartache and frustration, bound to a terrible destiny, melted away like the receding tide. “I’m free,” she mumbled into my mane.

In that moment, a curious spark rose from the scroll. It hovered above us for only a second before finding its way to a new target. I drew back just enough to allow Seachelle a view. Her pure coral flank caught the glow, the blazing light of a new cutie mark finding a home long overdue.

She broke off the hug and twisted her head around to see. I took note as well.

“I… What… How?” She ran a hoof across the mark. “What does it mean?” The spectacle of seeing a youngling getting their mark could never parallel the sight of a rugged mare realizing the same. There was something beyond magic at work here, something entirely different and special. Destiny has a strange way of presenting itself that was both unique and familiar, standard and exceptional. My heart overflowed with joy to share this moment with her.

Every cutie mark is special. This one was nothing less than amazing. A cream colored shell with the lips of a heart seemed pretty standard fare, but the other part caught us both by surprise. Backing on the shell, a pair of brown wings filled the span. It wasn’t something you would expect for a sea captain, or earth pony.

As I sat and contemplated the meaning of her mark, a wonderful thought came to mind, but I wasn’t sure if it was entirely possible. With destiny guiding the way, new magic at my horntip, and a long journey ahead, I figured I should at least give it a try.

“I might have an idea,” I said wheeling around toward the door. “It should make the trip home more enjoyable as well, as long as you are willing to drop us off on your way to wherever it is you want to go…”

Seachelle wiped a foreleg across her eyes. “I-I suppose I don’t have any other plans at the moment. What did you have in mind?”

“Follow me, Captain.” I walked out on deck. The burly crew had assembled waiting to hear orders from the Captain. My friends remained on the bridge, obedient to my previous request. I signaled up to Starswirl. He half walked and half flew down the stairs, still getting used to the new wings. Seachelle approached and stood in council.

“I see I’m not the only one with something new,” Seachelle said.

“It would seem so,” Starswirl replied, duly noting the addition on her flank with a polite nod of his head.

“Starswirl,” I said, “it seems that today is the day everypony gets a pair of wings, and I don’t think we’re done yet. What would you say if we worked a little pegasus magic into our transportation here?”

Starswirl brought a hoof to his temple, contemplating the idea I hinted at, no doubt. “I wouldn’t be opposed the idea. In fact, I’ve become quite partial to the notion,” Starswirl said, batting his own wings and trying to get them to lay flat in a fold.

“Well, what I have in mind is a pretty big spell, and I would appreciate some help from a friend in casting it, if you would be willing to help.” I watched Seachelle’s face for her reaction. Perhaps she caught a bit of the flirting, but I wasn’t sure if she understood yet what I was proposing to do. Starswirl, on the other hoof, was all smiles.

“Certainly, Your Majesty,” he replied with a bow. “I’m ready when you are.”

I turned to Seachelle. “Captain, how fast would you like your ship to be?”

“That depends.” She turned her head and paused to consider my question. “How much faster can it get? I’m pretty sure it’s already the fastest ship in all the ten seas.”

“No cutting corners. Sounds good. We’ll go for as fast as possible, a ship that’s faster than anything else, anywhere.” I turned to the bridge. “Rainbow Dash, could you come down here for a minute?” I didn’t have to ask her twice.

“Sure thing, Twilight,” Rainbow said, and in an instant, hovered right next to me. “What did you need?”

“I was wondering if we could borrow your wings,” I asked. “I’d like to make a copy of sorts.”

“Uhh, I don’t know if I like the sound of that.” She floated back a bit.

“I promise it won’t hurt, and you’ll still be the fastest pegasus in the sky.” My reassuring smile hoped to win her over to the cause.

“Alright, but only for you.” Rainbow hovered closer once again. “Just watch the tips; I just finished preening them.”

“Starswirl,” I said nodding to the new alicorn wizard, “let’s get this bird in the air.” That brought a smile to his face.

He took a few steps forward and joined me near the mainmast. Horns alight, we began to weave the spell. I felt his magic merge with mine, a romantic dance where just the two of us could partake. “First, let’s get our template,” I said, projecting over Rainbow’s wings. The spell recorded what it needed in the æther between us.

“They need to be a bit bigger,” Starswirl added, giving the wings a twist of his own. Broader and longer they stretched in the magic swell.

“Now comes the hard part,” I said, “joining with the ship.” The spell grew to encompass the entire vessel. I reached out to feel the new wings merging with the hull, my own wings stretching out sympathetically.

“Don’t forget to infuse a little pegasus magic into the rest of the boat,” Starswirl chided. He added his own finishing touches, and the spell sealed itself into place.

When all was said and done, I released the magic. Seachelle hopped to the rail. I walked up beside her. “Do you like the color? I tried to match the hull.” I asked.

“You gave my ship… wings!” she hollered. “They match my cutie mark too!”

“So do you like them?” I asked again.

“Like them?” she replied. “I love them! Thank you, Princess!” She nearly tripped over her own hooves in her excitement. Another quick hug later, she asked, “So, how do they work?”

I set a hoof to her cheek to turn her head toward the bridge. “I would expect the infamous Captain of the Flying Dutchmare would know how to steer her own ship. Just grab the wheel and tell it where you want to go.”

She took a quick glance back at me, probably to make sure I wasn’t just pulling her leg. Once satisfied, she set herself in motion. “Make way, Buck! I’m going to fly this ship!” She tore up the steps and set herself behind the till. Her First Mate gave a salute and relinquished his post to the Captain.

I followed her up to the bridge and settled back in with my friends. Starswirl remained on deck with the crew and made sure the last of the rigging was stowed along with the last bits of cargo being hauled aboard. Last of all, the anchor came up. Once he signaled all clear, Seachelle set her hoof to the wheel. “Where to Princess?”

“Set course for Canterlot, Captain,” I said. “We have some unfinished business to attend to.”

“Aye, Aye, Princess,” Seachelle replied with a salute of her own. “Canterlot, here we come.”

The ship gave a few creaks and groans as the wings stretched out under the magic of the enchantment. Everypony fumbled a bit with their balance as we rose from the water. The sails took in the wind of a friendly southerly flow, and in less than a minute, we were winging our way north and waving goodbye to the calm and quiet of the Bay.


The sun sank to the low western horizon. Streaks of orange and red danced across the barren landscape below. I stood near the bow with a watchful eye on my student. “Can you feel the lift and drag on your wings?” I asked him.

Starswirl bobbed his head, eyes closed, face forward into the oncoming winds. His wings stretched out on both sides, somewhat off balance as he got the hang of things. “It’s not all that different from running through the fields. Actually, it feels much the same.” The wind played with his mane. I fought back the urge to say something more.

We were alone for the moment, at least as alone as we could be on a ship full of ponies flying over the southlands. I had asked the others for this time, and dinner was as good an excuse as any. The rest were below deck enjoying a meal fresh from the bounty of the Bay. Seachelle remained at the wheel, unwilling to relinquish her post and newfound joy of flying for now. We had the front of the ship all to ourselves.

In the guise of a flight coach, I looked for an opening. There were things that needed to be said, feelings I had to discuss. Actions that needed meaning sorted out. We had come a long way in the past couple weeks, and I wasn’t sure if I was the only one that felt that way. It all came down to one thing—the kiss. It didn’t bother me that it happened, that I let my emotions out into the open. All the feeling in the moment led me to it. What I needed to know is where we went from here. I was treading on new ground, as were we all. It was one thing to finally meet the pony that I had studied all these years; it was quite another to realize I had feelings for him. It seemed weird, and I didn’t want it to be like that.

“Starswirl,” I said, trying not to sound too timid or shy, “I need to know how you see me. Who am I to you?” Out with it, an honest question that deserved an honest answer.

He carefully folded his wings. Opening his eyes, he focused in on me. “Twilight, I see you as you are, a beautiful mare with the entire world unknowingly in her debt. You are all I had hoped you would be, and more—a shining star to lead the way so that I may follow.” He sauntered closer. Turning, he carefully moved in a circle around me, his gaze never wavering from that charming stare. “I suspect you have more to say on the matter?”

“I-I just…” The words were hard to get to come out. My knees buckled, and I had to adjust my footing. “The kiss…” I could feel my embarrassment lighting up my cheeks. “It’s just… I don’t know…” I hung my head. This conversation wasn’t going the way I had planned. “The spell…”

“Shhh,” Starswirl whispered, laying a hoof against my neck and smoothing out my windblown mane. “Let’s take it slow. I’m not opposed to exploring things further, but let’s not rush into anything.” He pulled me into his embrace, and I allowed it. I more than allowed it, I melted into it. “I must admit, there is a lot that we share, but only time can lead us where we are meant to go. Even love needs time to grow before it can bloom.”

My knees wobbled like blades of grass in a summer’s breeze. “I’m not entirely sure of this myself, but the thought is growing stronger the longer I’m with you.” I could feel my heart pounding, the pulse radiating into my legs. “Just promise me you’ll stay with me and help with this change. I need you more than ever now to—”

“Shhh,” Starswirl coaxed into my ear. “I promise I’ll be there for you, no matter what comes our way. I’m as curious as you are to see where this journey takes us.”

“Thank you, Starswirl.” I leaned in close and felt the chill run down my spine pricking up the hairs as it went. His gentle hoof gliding over my neck and mane soothed my fears and helped to calm my agitated nerves. I felt safe and comfortable in his embrace. We clung to each other and drank in the moment. The quiet veil of sunset draped over us bringing the subdued light of the moon overhead.

“Princess!” Seachelle called from the opposite end of the ship shaking us from our embrace.

Starswirl withdrew, and I spread out my wings. “To be continued,” I said. With a few flaps, I drifted back toward the bridge. My companion kept to the deck and followed at his own speed.

“Yes, Captain?” I answered, now within speaking rather than shouting distance.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering how we should proceed for the night. Normally we just weigh anchor, but up in the clouds I’m not quite in my element, just yet.” Seachelle continued to rock back and forth, happy as a lark barely learning to fly.

“Hmm,” I wondered aloud, “I hadn’t thought of that. There probably aren’t many lakes to set down in out here in the desert. Perhaps we could set the anchor in a cloud?”

“How about you leave it to me, Captain?” Starswirl said, giving a nod of his head. “I shall guide the Flying Dutchmare through the night. Go and enjoy the company of your friends and crew, and take up some rest. There are a lot of ponies waiting for you all to arrive, and you’ll want to be fresh and ready to be met.”

Seachelle gave him a smile and a nod of her captain’s hat. “I am relieved then, Mister Starswirl. If you can manage to keep her on this heading, and judging by the stars, we should arrive in Canterlot a little past sunrise.

“I’ll do my very best, Captain,” Starswirl stepped up to the wheel and took hold. Seachelle backed away, reluctance evident in her slow departure.

I wrapped a foreleg around her neck and pulled her close to me. “Seachelle, you’re not alone. We’re all treading in new waters. Let’s go see what the others are up to, and maybe we can take advantage of that thing they call sleep. I can already tell we’re going to have a pretty full day tomorrow once we arrive in Canterlot.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Seachelle grasped my hoof and gave it a little squeeze. “Let’s go get a drink to celebrate.” Together, we descended the short stairs and made for the cargo hold. I gave a short wave to Starswirl as we dove below deck. Today was a good day, but I was ready to see it end.

The laughter brewing around the extended table made of crates and barrels warmed my heart. My friends and the rest of the Dutchmare crew had made swift work of the food laid out for the evening. Not that we didn’t have plenty more laid up in stores throughout the ship, but I wanted to make sure we had enough to have an exotic celebration once we returned home. There were others that should partake in the victory; a proper tribute to the one we left behind.

As we approached, the table fell silent. I didn’t like the feeling of anticipation that came over me. I took a seat quickly vacated by Pegleg. His leg no longer a peg, he moved much faster than I could object to the offer. Squeezing in, I made room for Seachelle as well. Everypony else waited in silence as she took her seat next to mine.

I took a deep breath. There was a lot still going on in my head. Everypony expected me to say something. “It’s been a really long day, and I know you all have questions, but I think they need to wait. Can we all get back to dinner for now and then get some rest? We’ll be in Canterlot by morning and then we can go over everything I promised to tell. I’m really just hungry and exhausted right now.”

Rarity rose from her chair. “Twilight, we completely understand. Although, I feel it would be bad form to overlook the opportunity to propose a toast.” Pinkie deftly slipped a pair of glasses in front of myself and Seachelle. Rarity raised her glass of hard cider. “To friendship, both old and new!” With a sweep of her leg, glass in hoof, she indicated to the rest of the table. A chorus of hooves rose in response, mine as well.

“To friendship!”

We all took a sip and continued with the meal. The laughter returned. It felt good to have my friends with me again. It felt even better to see the smiles on the faces of the crew, especially Seachelle.

Full to content, I excused myself a short while later and padded off toward a back room. A good night’s sleep called to me, and I gratefully answered.


“Princess.”

I felt a prodding in my backside.

“Twilight, it’s time to wake up.”

I opened my eyes to the rays of morning sun filtering in through the porthole above my bed nook. Starswirl’s silly grin glinted in the light. He stood by my bed, even though I imagined him nestled in next to me.

“We’re almost there. You should get up and get ready.” Starswirl turned back toward the door. “And just so you know, we have a few visitors, so don’t be alarmed if you happen to look outside.” He closed the door and left me to my own.

“What?” I asked, a little too late to get an answer. The realization of waking from a most relaxing dreamstate clashed harshly with the stiffness in my legs and back. I rose from my bed, stretched, and quickly put myself together. After fussing with my mane and trying to properly position my crown in the mired reflection from the porthole glass, I rubbed at my neck. The mantle that hung from my shoulders felt more a part of me now after having spent the night with it on. In my exhaustion, I must have forgotten or been unable to remove it before I fell asleep. The star shaped Heart of Friendship glowed from within, a small reminder of all that I had been through recently.

With a flick of my horn, I pulled on my saddle bags and made my way to the door. I lifted the latch and stepped out into the hall, coming face to face with Rarity.

“Oh dear! Here, let me help you with that.” She swooped in and began working her magic across the parts of my mane that I hadn’t taken much time with. “You need to look your best this morning.” She tried to remove the bags, but I stopped her without much effort.

“It’s okay, Rairty,” I replied. “I can blame it on the travel. I’m sure the Princess will understand.”

“Not today you can’t,” she added. “A royal welcome deserves a princess in her prime. I wouldn’t be much of a friend if I let you walk out there unprepared.”

I raised my guard and batted away Rarity’s further beatification attempts. “What do you mean? Who’s out there?” I wasn’t a fan of surprises even though I knew today would probably turn into a series of unscripted events worthy of Discord himself.

I walked away without getting a response. The stairs were just as close as her answer. Climbing into the light, I was struck by a fanfare of royal horns.

“Attention!” a royal crier’s voice boomed out. “Princess on deck!”

Two dozen sets of hooves clopped to the deck and snapped up in salute. I peered up at the bridge. Buckaneer had the wheel with Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy nearby. Turning around, I scanned past the rows of pegasi stallions flanking the ship’s rails. Up on the bow, Seachelle stood with Starswirl at her side.

I gave a quick salute to the guard and made my way forward. Rising to the crest of the ship and taking up position next to Starswirl, I took in the view all around us. An entire squadron of pegasi Night Guard held formation around the ship, Luna taking up point with Rainbow Dash at her wing. Ahead, the slopes and spires of Canterlot awaited our arrival.

“A royal escort,” Seachelle began, “it’s quite an honor.”

I nodded and gave a smile. Turning into the wind, all of Rarity’s work flew away, my mane tossed under the pin of my crown. The ship sailed on in the light morning breeze. I fought the urge to open my wings and join with those ahead. I opted instead to remain where I was, content with my present company.

As we neared the city, the ship began its descent. Luna led the way, and we made for the docking tower. The ship’s wings rose and fell making their own rhythm, the magic holding us aloft gradually bringing us to a stop from the appropriated portage. Both guard and crew sprang into action, tying off the vessel and fixing the plank to allow for earthbound ponies to disembark.

Starswirl gave a nudge and pointed at the back of the arrival platform. Waiting just beyond the plank were the friends I needed to see most of all. I opened my wings and leapt off the ship. Gliding over to the platform, I opened my forehooves to accept the welcome coming at me. Spike ran forward. Celestia held position, a bandage wrapped her barrel with her wing in a full sling. Cadance and Shining Armor kept her company, looking none the worse for wear. I met Spike’s embrace and carried him back toward the others.

“I-I missed you,” Spike said, choking back the tears.

“It’s good to be back,” I said, depositing my load in front of the Princess.

Celestia smiled with her genuinely warm smile, even in her injured state, swiftly joined by another as Luna settled in next to her.

My patience at an end, I completely skipped the rest of the waiting welcome. Looking down, I eyed up my faithful companion. “I have something for you, Spike.” I reached back into my bag and retrieved the dark red scale. The golden script on its face shone brightly in the light of the morning sun.

“Really? What is it?” he replied.

Reverently, I held it out and set it into his claws. “It’s a letter, to you, from your father.”