• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 994 Views, 99 Comments

The Scion of Harmony - Thornwing



After everything she has accomplished, Twilight is set to face the greatest test of her life. Without her friends to help her - will she pass, or will she fail?

  • ...
3
 99
 994

Chapter Twenty-Six – Rise and Fall

Darkness.

I opened my eyes and beheld the darkness. It wasn’t a cold and uncaring dark, rather quite the opposite. This was the dark that dwelled in the depths of a starless night, in the space beyond and between, somewhere I was partially accustomed to be. A comforting darkness gave play to the whims of imagination and dream inviting its guest to paint a picture with the mind and fill the void with substance. In this place of solemn reflection, only one part of reality remained: me.

Alive.

Life beat within my breast. My heartbeat held steady, keeping watch and measuring out each moment of precious life. I felt at peace. Calm after a storm. Rising to greet a new day. Warm and safe without a care in the world.

Light.

Barely had I formulated the thought, and it was so. I stretched out a… hoof, ethereal in the illuminating rays of soft white streaming down from above. I tipped my head to the right and back to the left, examining the pearl keratinized walls and my own reflection in the shiny surface attached to the end of a leg. A soft, purple tuft of fur rimmed the coronet and followed up to my core.

Pony.

Nestled in the crook of my back, muscles stretched, reaching out with a pair of massive wings toward the glow. Brilliant feathers caught the light and reflected back upon its source while casting an expansive shadow below. My head reared back, mane flowing in the weightlessness where I hung. Pivoting head over hooves, I caught sight of my own tail shining with a twinkle of starlight flecks dotting the length of the highlighted strands of hair.

Breath.

The second I considered the idea, my world fell. My moment of self-realization ended abruptly. Eyes wide, I fought to right myself while the growing burn rose within. I couldn’t breathe. Legs slashed, wings pumped, I swam toward the light—the surface.

I burst from the Pool of Harmony taking flight in little more than a simple loop before coming to rest before the Guardian. His towering form lay peacefully wedged between the temple pillars. This much I knew in an instant; more information came pouring in as the floodgates opened wide. My thoughts swam with new sensation, new purpose flooding my veins. A million years of history filled each recess of my mind, eternity stretching from beginning to end and beginning again. The mysteries of the cosmos unfurled before my eyes. I was a part of it all, yet found myself standing here in this moment, a point on a line that stretched from infinity to infinity.

Memory of a time before, another life, many lives, split and joined together in the present; it gave me a whole new perspective to consider. Creation and Destruction, Harmony and Chaos—I stood at the threshold of change. I drew down my focus and stood tall while addressing my steward. “I am One, and the One is in me. In the light of friendship, I stand ready to serve, Lord Aeon.”

His response seeped into my mind. “I am One, and the One is in me. By the light of friendship, I welcome thy service, my Queen. Please, forgive my failing. I am not long for this life.” Too weak to lift his head, a slight rise and fall accompanied his labored breath.

I bowed my head. The end had come. One must fall, and One must rise. A new beginning hailed the embers of the dying light, immortality a matter of relative measure. A simple thought that nothing is truly destroyed, only changed brought peace and calm to the chaotic waves crashing about us.

I felt more than heard him speak once more, a whisper in a raging sea of distraction churning through my head. “The cycle continues. See that you remember the past so as not to repeat the mistakes of those who lost sight of the goal. As this Aeon falls, the Twilight shall rise to guard the way forward. Friendship carries on through the ages. The work of creation marches on by virtue of the balance of Harmony and Chaos.”

“Twilight?”

The cautious approach of shuffling hooves drew my attention. I turned back to inquire as to their source.

“Twilight Sparkle?”

The name echoed in my head. A gray unicorn with a lengthy beard hanging off his chin crept out of the shadows.

“Starswirl?” I replied, the memory quickly rising to my immediate recollection. “Starswirl the Bearded?” I knew this pony. He was one of my kind. I felt a twinge of pain for… regret of some sort.

“Is… Are you… I find myself at a loss, Your Majesty,” he stammered. Dropping his knee, he fell into a deep bow.

Digging through the memories that rushed to the fore, I took a step back. Raising a hoof to my view, I took stock of myself. This unicorn turned alicorn, pony become princess, Scion of Harmony raised to Guardian, was me. Twilight Sparkle, Element of Friendship.

The Master’s echoes returned. “We haven’t much time, my Queen. Call upon the Elements and seal theseTrials with the blessing of Harmony.”

I grit my teeth. “Duty calls, young one. I must finish the task set before me. Stand clear, friend Starswirl.”

An understanding nod prefaced his retreat into the shadows. I turned to face the Star. The five orbs inside pulsed in varying time, each sharing a moment for themselves and then bowing to the group as a whole. I lit my horn to take command, and they responded to my call.

“Honesty. The foundation upon which true friendship is built. Integrity that starts within and shines a light to all those who would see, come forth!” Like a column of fire, the orange globe rose from the crystal and spun toward the far pillar of the temple.

“Kindness. The gentle attraction that draws friends together, spreading the lifeblood of Compassion to all that would share in its warmth, shine!” A bright yellow ray of sunlight crested the gem and illuminated the space before the second far pillar.

“Generosity. Giving of oneself becoming Charity, the pure love of friendship, rise!” A third column of sparkling white settled into position, a soft and flowing melody humming in the resonance between the three.

“Laughter. The joyful dissemination of Optimism bringing hope for a brighter tomorrow while sharing in the struggles of the present and past, swell!” The song found a blue beat with a fourth member joining the chorus.

“Loyalty. A rich red of true Devotion to ones friends marking the epitome of service and love, join us!” The final Element brought the song into full harmony. A symphony of light flooded the temple illuminating every dark corner.

I stretched out my wings and let loose the magic swelling within my horn. Holding position at the sixth pillar, I cried out in a voice that reached to the heavens. “I call upon the Elements of Harmony in the true spirit of Friendship. Come to me, and answer the call to serve!”

A clap of thunder answered my call. In a flash, five alicorns joined the circle holding at each pillar of light. The light of the circle twisted together and stretched beyond the colonnade, reaching up to the sky and beyond, conceivably traveling the universe back to the source. Together, their voices called out as One, “The Elements stand ready to serve!”

I bowed to my friends, each one in turn reciprocating. The Elements of Harmony claimed their rightful places as the ceremony continued.

From behind, a seventh voice joined our magical chorus. Aeon’s horns sparked to life. A final throw of strength pointed his head at the center of our circle. His magic arced toward the Star gem. With the power of the ages to buoy him up, he spoke with a voice that shook the temple. “Twilight Sparkle, you are found worthy to bear the Mantle of Leadership. Take up the Heart of Friendship and guide the work of creation toward eternity.”

The five other Elements joined in the act, their magic filling and shaping the gem in their own right. Pouring his essence into the Star, Aeon guided the Magic of Friendship in condensing and coalescing around the focus. The gem shrank becoming encircled with ribbons of rainbow light. The purple hue writhed giving way to iridescent colors dancing across the surface. In the pull of the magic, it came free of the guard over the pool. I followed its path with my gaze, coming slowly toward me with a building glow. Gradually, it fell until it rested upon my shoulders, adorning my neck with Mantle, Heart, and a charge to serve.

The light fell. The magic settled. I turned to thank the Guardian for his kind words, but his long occupied spot lay empty.

“One must fall,” I said, bowing my head in honor of the fallen Lord, last of the great ones of his kind.

One must rise. His answer echoed through the temple.

I felt the warmth of the Heart wash over me. My mind filled with the thoughts of the young alicorn I had become all bubbling to the surface. The flood of power and responsibility caught my weak, young self off guard, threatening to drown me if I failed to contain it all. It was too much to process; I felt my fragile body begin to falter. The power of creation, thrust upon me in this infantile state, swept over me like a raging river. Overwhelmed, I tried to call out a plea for relief, something to assuage the pain of our merging.

“All things in time!” another voice shouted.

The Heart heard my inner cry. A pulse of magic carried across the temple. I fell to my knees, and my world went dark once again.


“Twilight, can you hear me?” The voice gave me a tether to cling to. “I am here. Let me guide you through the storm.”

I opened my eyes to the light. I felt… normal.

Taking stock of my surroundings, I lay in a meadow, clover and grass spread over the hilltops as far as the horizon. Sunlight danced across the field as a slight breeze brought the smell of flowers on a spring morning. The weight of a leg draped over my withers gave me comfort in the feel of a warming embrace. A gentle nuzzle across my cheek filled me with a sense of peace and love.

“Relax and rejuvenate. Clear your mind and open your heart.” My companion’s words set me on a firm path. My mind settled into the familiar. I turned my head to thank him for the kindness. His awkward smile gave me pause to chuckle.

“I never knew you could be such a romantic,” I said, full recognition finally dawning on my senses. “Thank you, Starswirl. I never could have done this without you.” I lay my hoof over his and returned the smile.

“I do what I can, and I’m happy to serve.” He nodded with just a tip of his head. His beard fell only halfway to the ground, a sign of living in his prime—a dream only partly fulfilled here in his own private plane of existence.

I could feel the change within me. At once, grown into my full potential and now returned to my natural state. I had been given the chance to learn and grow over time into the pony I was meant to be. I was thankful to be me, happy for the guidance and wisdom that the Element of Friendship bestowed, relieved that I could return to myself. The powers of creation lay at my horntip, kept in check by the promise of gradually realizing my destiny—all things in time.

I gazed out over the flowing hills. The space between worlds and time looked different than when I visited last. A final wish in the outpouring of magic that remained to him, Starswirl offered me shelter from the storm I was not ready to face. With Celestia as my guide on my prior journey to becoming an alicorn, memories of friends filled the void of my inbetween. I should think that for a wizard of his stature, an endless field would seem too simplistic and boring. Still, I welcomed the peace and quiet afforded.

Following the sunrise, everything was a blur. I remembered the pool, the Element of Friendship, Aeon in the final moments before passing on—it wasn’t a dream, but it didn’t seem real. I called to my friends, and they answered, or did they? The five Elements joined together in sealing my promotion, six if you count Friendship itself, being in me, and of me, and not me just the same. Had the same fate befell them? Then there was Starswirl, coming to my rescue. He brought me back into my own—his own—place of refuge.

“Welcome back,” Starswirl said with a flick of his tail across my flank, snapping me out of my daydream. “Do you feel any better? Different?”

“I…” Pausing to try and understand what it was that I had just been through, I finally understood. “I think I realized my destiny.” The thought took a moment to really sink in. “I became one with my Element, but it was too much to take in all at once.”

“Becoming One with creation will do that to a pony,” he replied. “Give it time, and you will learn. The universe wasn’t built in a day, and neither were you.” The wind shifted direction, a slight chill filled the air. “Unfortunately, the hour grows late. Now that you have found your path, it is time for me to move on as well. The Golden Fields are calling to me, and I haven’t long to tarry.”

“Found my path?” I asked. “I’ve barely taken the first step, and you’re just going to leave me here, all alone? What about my friends?”

A gentle squeeze across my shoulder sent a tingle up and down my spine. My coat stood on end as I listened to his reply. “We are never alone, Twilight, but a step in the right direction leads to all the others set to follow—mine as well. Our paths carry us in different directions, merely crossing for a time. You and your friends will grow into your own given the chance to thrive. Let the magic guide you and try not to rush forward as I did. Your destiny awaits, just as mine stands fulfilled.”

“Is that what you truly believe?” I asked. With all the talk of destiny thrown about in the days of trial, I had to wonder if Starswirl was mistaken. “Is this really your destiny? Does it have to end here?” He spoke about death as it were an everyday occurrence. Perhaps having experienced something like it before, he was more prepared than most to face it again.

“I can’t say it is everything I ever hoped for, but I am proud of all that I have accomplished nonetheless.” He drew back his hoof and rocked up to stand. “My only regret is that I couldn’t do more.” His gaze stretched toward the horizon. “With Aeon’s passing, the magic that binds me to your world fades, and I must find my own path forward before I am lost to the thrashing tides of Chaos. Your friends are waiting, Twilight. Best you return as soon as you are able. They need you to lead them.”

“There is a way…” The words caught in my throat. I rose to take up a place at his side. My hoof fell against his flank. “Would you continue to serve… Would you stay with me, if I asked?”

“For you, my Queen, I would serve a thousand lifetimes and a thousand more still.” He turned to me and bowed. “But alas, it is not within my power to make it so. Were it, you would have but to give the command, and I would follow you into the depths of Tartarus and beyond. Though you hold the guardianship of creation, there is much you still must learn before you can help shape the destiny of others.”

Not out of pity or pardon, I considered the options. Should his half-life come to an end so that a new life could begin? On the verge of reaching the great golden pasture, who was I to keep him from it? Was there room to make amends for a past that led to this end? Could destiny be altered? Where does true happiness lie—in continuing service or in the reward for faithful service rendered? The choice was not mine to make. Still, the question begged an answer. I had to at least try.

“All this time, and you still haven’t finished your life’s work?” I asked, a twinge of sarcasm shadowing my question. “What kind of wizard leaves a spell unfinished?” He turned his head, hopefully giving thought to the potential.

“My work was finished by another. I think you recall her name.” The smirk he gave said a lot of things. Thanks. Regret. Desire. Satisfaction. A rainbow of emotion tied up in the complex inner workings of one of the most brilliant ponies to ever live.

“The magic is unique for each of us,” I said. “What I’ve done doesn’t stop you from realizing it yourself. After all we’re been through, I believe the answer—the magic—is within you if you want it.”

“It is not a matter of my own wants and needs.” He stood there, contemplating the future, swaying with the gentle breeze. “The Golden Fields sound promising.” He tipped his head and broached a typically awkward grin. “But if it be thy wish, I could be persuaded to serve at thy side.”

I took that as my answer. “This is not the end, Starswirl, only a new beginning. I would be forever grateful if you would stay by my side and help me through this change.”

A handsome smile shone above his scraggly chin. “I rather like the sound of that,” he replied. “Together then?”

“Together,” I said. “Say the words, wizard; finish what you started.”

I lay my horn across his. He spoke the words straight from his heart, and I echoed them in mine.

“With both of us together,
Our hearts shall beat as One.
By the magic of our Friendship,
Together we are One.”

I kissed his cheek.

Magic of the purest sort poured out of my Heart, and we were both swept up in the glow.


A star fell from the heavens, and I followed it down. My wings cupped the air as I circled around, dancing on the current, mane fluttering on the breeze. My regalia flashed against the sun falling into the afternoon decline. The crown on my head finally felt like it belonged. The peytral at my neck would need some getting used to. I could have sworn that my wings had grown ever so slightly to compensate for the added weight, only that the new fixture didn’t seem to add all that much. Below, the Temple of Harmony sat on the edge of the Bay of Ages, keeping eternal watch on my world and the universe as a whole. A solitary ship sat anchored in the water; I smiled and tucked that thought to the back of my mind.

Down through the open dome we came. First, landing beside the pool, I felt the excitement welling within me. The star settled next to me and opened its petals like a flower triumphantly putting its beauty on display for all to see. From off in the shadows, I caught a gasp of surprise.

“Don’t be scared, girls,” I spoke at the walls, my friends in hiding behind the pillars. “Come out and meet our new friend.” Introductions first and explanations later. We had all the time in the world for that.

“Twilight?” Applejack’s voice rang true to my ears. “Is that you?”

“Who else would it be?” I replied with a chuckle trying to lighten the mood. She stepped out into the light. The full statured alicorn of a short time ago was no more. Just like me, she had returned to her previous state. All of us, Element unaltered in appearance but perhaps still slightly changed by the experience, back to normal. They were no more alicorns, or rainbow enhanced ponies—just my friends, as they should be.

“What is this place?” Rarity asked, hesitating on the edge of the shadows.

“This is the Temple of Harmony,” Starswirl replied, unfolding his new wings for the first time. “I bid you all welcome.” The first flap he gave nearly knocked him off his hooves.

“Who… Who are you?” Rainbow Dash asked, leaping to the front of the pack. Her wings flared in a defensive pose.

I drew up a hoof and pointed in presentation. “Girls, I would like you to meet Starswirl the Bearded, the newest alicorn… uhhh… should it be prince, or lord, or… well, never mind. We’ll figure that out later.” I could feel my cheeks blush with the failure of a proper introduction.

“Plain old Starswirl works for me,” he said. “Never really liked having a title—sort of why I grew the beard in the first place; helps to hold focus on a proper name.”

“Umm, Twilight,” Fluttershy called from behind the rest, “I think we could use your help, if you’re not busy that is.”

“Of course, Fluttershy,” I replied as I walked toward the back. “What’s the matter? Oh…” I figured it out as soon as I saw.

“Twilight!” Pinkie Pie screamed, her hooves crossed and clutched against the sides of her head, laying on her back and staring off at nothing in particular. “I had a horn! And wings! And… And… Magic! What… is… going… on?!” Between gulping, hyperventilating breaths, she managed to speak, deep in a paradoxical panic attack.

I reached down to take my friend in a hug. “Don’t worry, Pinkie. It’s part of another adventure, but only when you’re ready for it.” With my hoof, I gently stroked her mane hoping that the normal Pinkie bounce would return given the reassurance of a friend. Her breathing began to slow as she relaxed at my touch.

From over my shoulder, Applejack added her two bits. “I think we’d all like to know what this’s about. How’d we get here, and what made us all alicorns?”

“And –why-- did we have to change back?” Rarity asked, a pang of regret in her question.

“Before we lay out the explanations,” Starswirl replied, cutting me off before I could respond, “we should really finish the introductions.” The group turned to face him. “Elements of Harmony, it is with great pleasure that I present to you, Twilight Sparkle, Guardian of Harmony, Master of Magic, and Queen of Friendship.” He did a little bow, that stupid smile of his plastered across his muzzle.

With the pink mane sufficiently fluffed and all eyes square on me, I rose to my hooves. “All things in time, Starswirl, especially the titles. I’m not a queen, at least not yet. I’ve got a long way to go and a lot to learn before that happens. Everypony needs time to adjust to the events of the past week or so, and I’d like to keep things as much the same as I can for now. No more titles. No more crazy adventures.”

“As you wish, Your Highness.” Starswirl added the last bit with a chuckle of his own.

“Twilight,” Rarity said, “when you are ready, I’m sure there is quite the tale to tell, but I can’t wait another moment to hear about your gorgeous new accessory. Wherever did you get it?”

I clutched at my neck, the starburst gemstone set in gold still felt warm to the touch. “It was a gift… from a friend.” Looking out across the room, I focused in on the spot where I half expected to see him. A glint caught my attention. “Hang on just a moment.” With a flap of my wings, I leapt the pool to investigate. There in the vacant alcove sat a curious remnant: a single red scale lying next to my saddle bags.

I reached out to draw the item in. The typically shiny surface contained more than I expected. Covering the disk, both front and back, were symbols reminiscent of those from the golden book. I held it close to my chest as the others gathered around. Confirmation of what I already knew gave me another duty to perform. I slung the packs over my back and pocketed the scale. “Girls, let’s go home. I have a letter to deliver.”

Author's Note:

This chapter was really fun to write. I've been waiting a very long time to get to this point and bust out the new perspective. I hope you all caught the significance of the change.

We've got a few things to wrap up, so the story isn't done just yet. Can't leave things hanging.