• Published 25th Aug 2014
  • 763 Views, 4 Comments

Black Crystals - FrostbiteMoon



The time of Twilight Sparkle and her friends have passed. A new generation of ponies have come, along with old friend, old enemies and new friends and new enemies. This is the story of Prince Zero, son of King Sombra and his journey through Equestria

  • ...
3
 4
 763

Prince Zero

Prince Zero was sitting on his dark, crystal chair, deep underground below the Crystal Palace where his father was banished from. Ever since King Sombra, his father, was banished they had been alone in the cold, dark ground. 'But, it isn't all that bad,' thought Prince Zero. He did get to spend time with his father, and occasionally see his mother, Queen Chrysalis. As many ponies know, King Sombra was the ruler of the Crystal Palace long ago where he ruled it with an iron hoof.

King Sombra was pacing back in forth in his normal spot. He would often think about how to get out of his banishment and release terror and havoc among the ponies in Equestria once more. Zero admired his father. He was powerful, majestic, and a good ruler, and a good father... Of course, Zero has never seen other pony father's with their foals. Like Sombra, Zero had the grayish hair and black mane, but there were streaks of a teal in his mane as well, but he shared his father crimson horn, but like his mother, it was disfigured and had wings. Though his eyes were a light green. His cutie mark was a broken heart.

"Dad," said Prince Zero as he munched on a muffin. Sombra stopped his pacing and looked at his son.

"Zero, the time has come for you to escape." He had a gleeful smile on his face. "Thanks to the Crystal Princess I am sealed here, but you, my son, are free to go. Your power is almost strong enough and then you can defeat that Crystal Princess and then all of Equestria!" He laughed so loudly that it scared some of the jackalopes that were living underground nearby.

"Of course, Father, but what about my sister?"

"Princess Mariposa will go with your mother and learn how to control her Changeling powers."

Princess Mariposa was the younger sister of Zero. She was more Changeling than pony. She had the many features of a Changeling, such as insect like wings, fangs, dark skin, a disfigured horn and holes among her skin. Because of this she was the favorite pony of Chrysalis. She loved Zero too, but she was happier to have a Changeling filly.

"Where is mother?"

"On her way. She had some royal business to attend to, don't you worry." King Sombra conjured up a two swords and they fell to the ground. "How about a sparring match before she arrives?"

Zero smiled. He loved a good sword fight with his father. It kept him prepared and ready to fight. Zero used his magic to lift a sword up, a crimson aura around the weapon. Sombra did the same and they both clashed with the swords. Sombra did a forward thrust and Zero parried it skillfully and sliced at his father's mane which he dodged nimbly. This continued for awhile until Chrysalis came in. She looked amused and watched them for awhile. It was only when Mariposa yelled, "Mother!" that the father and son came back to reality.

"Hello, Princess Mariposa. Have you been practicing your powers?"

"Yes, Mom, just look!" Mariposa closed her eyes and concentrated greatly, but it worked. She successfully turned into King Sombra and both her mother and father were pleased. Zero was happy for her, but he was a little jealous. He wished he could take the forms of other ponies. Imagine how useful that could be.

"Now, Zero, the path ahead will lead you out of the underground caverns of the Crystal Palace. Stay with me, and you will be safe."

"I can take care of myself, Mother," Zero said as he stood next to her.

"I see. This will be the last time you see your father for awhile. I would say your goodbye's. You don't have to, though.That is up to you."

Zero knew that his father wasn't much for love and hugs and stuff like that. Zero turned to face his father, lowered his head in respect and his father did the same. Mariposa, on the other hand, turned to her father and attacked him with a hug. Zero could tell he didn't really like it, but he hugged her back and then pushed her away.

"Begone with you. Wreak havoc among the ponies in Equestria."

"Don't worry, Father, we will."

Chrysalis led them through the dark, maze-like caverns that seemed to go on forever. Mariposa seemed to jump at every sound she heard, making Zero laugh. He wasn't afraid, he kept his head held up high and kept his eyes forward, ready to attack anything that got in his way. Soon enough there was a light ahead of them. Both Mariposa and Zero looked at Chrysalis. The Changeling Queen kept her eyes forward and continued to walk. Finally, they reached the light and a whole new scenery was visible. Unlike the dark, dank underground home, it was warm and colorful outside. Strange plants grew all around with different assortment of colors. There was a yellow orb in the sky that was so bright that the young ponies had to cover their eyes with their hooves. Zero thought the orb was in the sky was called the sun, like his parents told him in their stories.

"So bright... Is that the sun?" Zero asked as his eyes adjusted and began to see things more clearly.

"That is the sun. Now this is where I leave you, Zero. I must take Mariposa and go to my kingdom," Chrysalis said. Zero wasn't surprised she was leaving him right away, though he was a bit frightened to be in a new place without any guidance.

"Come, Mariposa. Use your wings and fly with me to my kingdom." And with that, they were gone, leaving Prince Zero alone. He looked around one more time before trotting off to who knows where.

"Father said I should rule the Crystal Empire... Now where would one find the Crystal Empire... It can't be far from here. But... I kind of wish that mother didn't leave me here on my own." Zero gave a sigh. "I will have to do what I can."