• Published 14th Apr 2012
  • 1,211 Views, 13 Comments

Shadow Over Equestria - Cmdr Brohoof



An acient evil returns to Equestria that threatens every living thing.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,211

Calm Before the Storm

(Note from Author: This is my second story featuring the Spirit. I wrote the story to pick up almost immediately when my last left off. While you don’t need to read the first to understand most of it some things from the previous one are mentioned. I recommend you read The Desert Spirit first)


Spirit was gradually getting used to his life in Ponyville. Even thought he was a human he was treated like a regular citizen. Ever since his heroic efforts saving ponies, including the Apple Families youngest pony Apple Bloom, in the southern deserts he had become a celebrity. He also learned that his presence in the deserts was no longer needed. The explorer pony Artie Fact had taken maps the Spirit had made from his time in the desert and passed them on to the royal guard. Princess Celestia seeing the need for protection in the south created the Desert Shields, a group of guards whose job it was to patrol the deserts.

Before the guards were sent to the deserts they were given training by the Spirit who was now residing on the Apple Farm. A small group of colts were gathered around the Spirit who was giving a lecture on the dangers he had faced.

“As you can see the greatest danger in the desert is not the creatures that reside there, but the lack of water and shelter.”

The Spirit began to conclude his class “Any questions?”

“What about the Diamond Dogs?” A gray colored colt asked

“Ah the dogs while they are a nuisance they will not bother you unless they believe they have an advantage. With your comrades already patrolling the deserts the threat has grown less and less.” The Spirit glanced around his students then to a white colt wearing a pith helmet.

“Well then” the Spirit continued “I would like to introduce Lieutenant Dusty he will be taking you to your new assignments in the desert good luck.”

The Spirit walked away as the Lieutenant pony began discussing the groups travel route to the desert.

“Can you play now?” Apple Bloom asked. She had been sitting patently outside the Spirits class.

“Sure thing Apple Bloom I don’t have anything else planned this afternoon. What do you want to do?” The Spirit looked
down at the little filly slightly galloping to keep up with the Spirits pace.

“Hmmm how about hide and go seek?” She asked

“That’s no fair I’m ten times bigger than you” The Spirit chuckled

“Apple Bloom” a voiced called out. Apple Bloom turned to see two familiar fillies coming toward them.

“Hey Sweetie Bell, hey Scoot” Apple Bloom called out to her friends.

Sweetie Bell and Scootallo ran up to Apple Bloom “Want to go to the club house today” Sweetie Bell asked

“Ah but this is the first chance I get to play with Spirit” Apple Bloom said looking up at the human.

“Well he can come too” Sweetie Bell added Scootaloo let a slight whimper when she said that.

“Still scared of me Scootaloo?” The Spirit said

“N…N…No” The orange Pegasus stammered

The Spirit laughed at the nervous filly “Go on Apple Bloom go play with your friends.”

“Are you sure” She asked

“Yeah I’m kinda sleepy anyway.” The Spirit said yawning

“Well alright come on girls” Apple Bloom said as he three fillies ran off toward their clubhouse.

The Spirit continued on the Apple Family house where Granny Smith was making dinner.

“What’s on the menu tonight Granny?” the Spirit asked as he entered

“I’m making apple turnover with an apple salad” Granny answered as the Spirit hung his head in the door way.

“I would kill for a pepperoni pizza right now.” The Spirit muttered to himself

“What’d ya say youngin?” Granny asked

“Oh nothing Granny sounds good.” The Spirit said as he sat down in a chair in the Apple family living room.

“Hello?” a knock at the door jostled the drowsy Spirit

The Spirit got up and opened the door and saw a purple unicorn staring up at him.

“Hello Twilight looking for Applejack?”

“No you actually” Twilight said

“What can I do you for? Wait is this because I spilled water on your books listen I said…”

“No it’s not that” Twilight smiled “This came for you at the library”

Twilight pulled a scroll from bag and handed it to the Spirit.

“For me?” The Spirit said staring at the scroll.

“It’s from the Princess” Twilight added “I didn’t open it because it said for your eyes only.”

The Spirit cracked the wax royal seal the held the scroll closed. He unfurled the it and read to himself.

Sir Spirit,

Your presence is requested at Canterlot Castle. I must discuss a very serious matter

with you that poses a threat to all who inhabit Equestria. Please depart as soon

as you receive this message. I’m sure my student, Twilight Sparkle, is the one who

delivered this message to you. I also request her presence as well. I do not want

you to tell anypony where you are headed. Time is of the essence.

Sincerely

Princess Celestia

P.S. I will be sending an escort to carry both of you directly to the palace. It will arrive

after sundown outside Ponyville.

The Spirit handed the letter to Twilight. “The Princess wants us to go to Canterlot.”

“What? Why?” Twilight asked as she quickly scanned the letter “This is can’t be good. Come on we don’t have much time.”