• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 5,900 Views, 170 Comments

Role Reversal - TheGentlemanCreeper



A sequel to Freudian Slip. You helped Rarity face her demons and now it's her turn.

  • ...
16
 170
 5,900

Chapter 10

You let out a long, pained moan as the thudding in your head gets louder. You crack your eyes open and start to look around, trying to remember just who you are, where you are and what you are doing.

The first one is easy enough and after blinking blearily into the mid-morning light, you realize you are in your hotel room, that much was obvious.

What else was obvious was that it was completely trashed. Empty bottles and cans, half eaten containers of food, streamers, a few party balloons and more than a few unmentionables.

You turn over in bed to wake up the curled up ball that was Rarity and tried to call her name, but stop when your breath hitches in your throat.

She was wearing a wedding veil.

No. No way. We didn’t. We couldn’t, you think frantically. Looking down at yourself, you see you’re wearing a bow tie and matching cuffs. On the nightstand, hanging on the lamp looks like a tuxedo coat.

Ohhh no. Oh no no no...

You reach a hoof out and give her a little shake. “Rarity. Rarity!” You hiss.

She lets out a low moan of her own, but she doesn’t wake up. Somepony does, however.

A foal’s head pops up from Rarity’s embrace, their bright blue eyes staring into yours. You and the foal just stare at each other for the longest time before they smile from ear to ear.

“Daddy!”

**********************************

You let out a gasping choke and sit upright in bed; the real bed this time. A look around the hotel room showed it to be clean and orderly. Rarity shifts next to you and looks to you blearily.

“Darling, what’s wrong? You look... perturbed. Did you have a nightmare?”

You feel yourself blush a bit and shake your head. “No, no. No nightmare... Just odd. It’s nothing.”

No sooner do the words leave your mouth do you feel the hot stare of Rarity’s gaze boring a hole through the side of your face. After a moment, you relent.

“It’s... Silly, alright? It wasn’t scary, just a shock. Big shock,” you say with a small, strangled laugh. Which makes you groan out and hold your head in pain. “What happened last night?”

Rarity gives you a long luck and a thin lipped smile that spoke volumes. “Well then, where should I start?” She says with a hint of anger.

You flinch and feel your ears fold back. “Ich habe es vermasselt.”
[I messed up.]

Rarity nods slowly. “Yes. You did indeed ‘vermasselt’.” With a heavy sigh, she starts to get out of bed. “Where to begin? Well, I think the start of it all would be the best. It was a good night at first. I was letting you have a few tastes of the local brew, as you wanted to, and then the festivities started. There was dancing and music and that was the good part of the night, I will not lie.”

You bit the inside of your cheek. “I feel that there’s a but in there coming...”

But. Then it happened. Now, I know it’s not entirely your fault, but you had it coming when you were drinking everything offered,” she says with a sigh. “Does the name ‘Well-Planned Thaumic Manticore’ ring any bells?”

You blink in confusion. “Uhh...”

“Of course not. You were offered a beer and you were halfway through it when the pony who offered it panicked. You didn’t hear them say that it was 50% alcohol until after you finished the whole thing.”

“What?” You blanch. “50... Percent?”

She nodded an all knowing smile. “Yes. I will admit, it was funny watching you try to dance after accidentally downing a brew that strong and you were having fun, so I figured that was all that mattered.” And then she lets out a long sigh and her smile disappears. “But then you grabbed a pony who you thought was me, danced and even kissed them.”

You feel the color drain from your face.

“Rarity, Rarity mein schatzi, I would never! I would never kiss another mare! You-”

“Who said it was a mare?”

You feel your jaw slowly drop and look to Rarity in horror. “Bwah...”

“Snrk...” Rarity tries to hold it together, but after a few moments, she’s snickering and trying everything to keep up the facade. “Ooooh you should have seen your face!” She says before letting out a raucous laugh. “Ohh my gosh I wish I had my camera!”

“B-But... Did I? Did... Are you messing with me?!?” You cry out.

“Yess!” She laughs. “Ohhh my gosh, Rainbow Dash was right! A good prank do has its charm!”

You feel your face blush and try to force a scowl, but you find yourself hard to stay mad. She got you good.

“Alright, alright... So, I assume everything else about last night is true? I got drunk and made a complete tit out of myself?” You can’t help but let out a depressed sigh. “I'm sorry. I suppose I ruined the night?”

“Well, dancing with your drunk self is hard, but we managed a few dances before the night caught up to you.” She smiles warmly. “All in all, it was a splendid night. Not a night at the Palace Theatre, but enjoyable nonetheless”

Slowly though, her expression hardens. “Now, please. Tell me what your dream was about. I promise, no judgement.”

You take a deep breath and cuddle up close to Rarity. “Well...” You start. “I woke up in this bed here. We were tangled in the sheets and I felt like I do now. Hungover.”

She nods slowly. “Alright...”

“And you were wearing a wedding veil and I was wearing what was left of my own formals.”

Rarity nods. “Well, I guess I can see why-”

“I’m not done. That wasn’t the shocking bit.”

This got her attention.

“I thought that the idea of marriage was one of those anxiety triggers we talked about,” she asks.

“Yeah, but... I don’t know. I didn’t freak out at that, I jumped when the foal you were cuddled up with poked their head up and called me ‘daddy’.”

Rarity’s eyes widen and she blinks slowly. “I’m sorry? A foal?”

You nod quickly. “Yeah. It’s a little fuzzy, but they had your eyes, that’s much for certain. It’s all started to disappear a bit, but... yeah. A foal. Our foal.” You let out a dry laugh. “I know it sounds bad, but I was kinda relieved to wake up and know that it was just a dream.”

“And why is that?” She asks, sitting up slightly. “I’m not being confrontational, I just want to know why you’re relieved.”

You flinch at those first words but slowly nod as Rarity explains. “It’s just... I mean, I’m not opposed to the idea of having a foal, don’t get me wrong. But it was more like a shock along the lines of ‘Oh sweet Celestia, we haven’t prepared for this yet’.” You take a moment to gather your thoughts. “It’s like jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim. We didn’t talk, we didn’t save up money, we didn’t prepare or learn... If we were to have a child, I’d at least want to get a nest egg together to cover those first few years if anything. And probably learn how to change a diaper.”

Rarity’s expression changes slowly as you talk, first being intense and scrutinizing, but slowly shifting to a warm smile that leaves you blushing by the last few words.

You open your mouth to stammer something out, but instead are silenced when Rarity’s lips meet yours.

“Always the carer, aren’t you?”

You blush and give her a quick peck back. “One of my many faults.”

“I just find it odd...” Rarity says. “As I said, I was under the impression that you have an anxiety triggered by the thoughts of marriage. That you didn’t want to lose what we had. But in this dream, you woke up and found yourself married to me with no recollection, yet that wasn’t the thing to cause the shock.”

“Little early to start the next session, don’t you think?” You ask, feeling the first pangs of hunger. “Can we at least go out and get breakfast first?”

“Hmmm... How about a shower and discuss it over breakfast?” Rarity offers.

You nod slowly. “Yeah, a shower sounds great right about now.” Getting to your hooves, you let out a hiss of pain.

“What’s wrong?”

“My back,” you say through clenched teeth. Moving around and stretching, you try to work the knot out. “I think I did something last night...”

“Probably when you jumped up on the table and started singing “Hufe zum Himmel” when the band started up,” she said with a smile. “You danced a lot like you did at the Dog and Pony and probably got everypony there to join in.”

You manage a smile through the pain. “Well, at least ponies enjoyed it...”

“Ohhh come on you poor dear...” She says, draping a hoof over your shoulder and guiding you into the bathroom. “Let’s get a nice hot shower going and I’ll give you a massage.”

“Ohhhh heavens above that sounds lovely...” You smile.

“Well I do enjoy to reciprocate, after all~”

Something about the way she titters makes you blush and you can’t help but shoot her the same sly smile and make your way into the bathroom.

**********************************

You stretch once more as you ride down the elevator to the bottom floor. “Well that was... refreshing,” you say, feeling the last bit of stiffness disappear from your back with a pop.

“Yes, but I do hope we’re not late for breakfast.” Rarity says with a huff. “You know, you didn’t have to do that, you know.”

“Oh come now, mein schatzi, I know you enjoy it when I reciprocate as well~”

This gets her blushing. “You make it sound so dirty... It was just a massage, which I am ever grateful for, but I was trying to focus on you.”

“And you helped, don’t get me wrong.” You smile from ear to ear. “I just want to keep showing you how much I appreciate it all. Every time you do something nice for me, I just have to go that extra mile and do the same for you.”

Rarity’s blush turns a deeper shade and she gives you a sultry look. “I’ll remember that, darling. That way, we can make your massage end a little more... happily.”

The words hang in the air for just a moment and soon enough, you’re blushing and giggling at the thought, making Rarity join in. “Look at us...” She says as she cozies up to you. “We’re like a couple of highschool love birds... We can’t keep our hooves off each other.”

“Well... Considering everything that’s happened, we needed this. We needed the getaway. We needed the time together.” As the elevator reaches the ground floor, you smile from ear to ear and place a kiss on her cheek. “And every time I say I love you and hear it right back, it makes everything up here make a lot more sense.”

Rarity blushes and gives you a chaste kiss on the cheek as you walk out the elevator. “Ich libe dich~”

You follow right after her into the main hall, swing a right through a hallway and into the dining area. A full assortment of dishes were being offered and you took a deep breath of all the smells.

“Breakfast like a princess,” you say happily. You waste no time and slip by a number of ponies to grab a plate and start loading it up.

“You have quite the appetite, despite the hangover,” Rarity remarks as she tries to keep pace.

“I like to get a big, stodgy breakfast in after a night of drinking,” you say matter of factly, grabbing more toast and packets of strawberry jam. Looking around, you see a plate that makes your eyes light up. “Oooooh!”

“Wait, is that... Cheese?” She asks. “Cheese for breakfast?”

You shrug. “It’s not that uncommon. But this is a good starting point. I’m going to find us a table. If you want something hot, go over to that window, it looks like a chef is taking orders.”

Rarity eyes the cheese plate for a moment before smiling sheepishly. “I might just get myself an omelette.”

You give her a nod and make your way towards a tale and plop yourself down in a chair. Cheeses, jam, even a piece of toast goes into a few slices of bread before you start digging in.

The taste was unique and you always found a shock like that to the system woke you up good and proper, better than any hangover cure. Swallowing a mouthful, you smack your lips.

“Drink...” You mumble as you get to your hooves. Before you can stand up, Rarity’s passing you by and setting a glass of orange juice by your plate. “Is that what you were after?” She asks.

You nod quickly and throw back a mouthful of orange juice, washing down the last remnants of bread lodged in your throat.

“Oh yeah. That hit the spot... So, what’d you get?”

Rarity smiles. “A different kind of omelette for me. I never thought to put potatoes in it, but it smells divine. Especially on an empty stomach.”

You watch for a moment as she starts to cut herself a piece and eat a few bites before continuing into your own breakfast.

“So,” you ask casually. “What do you think it means?”

“The dream?” She asks, swallowing a mouthful. “Mm, well, yes... It’s quite a question, really. I mean, I was under the impression that your anxiety was manifesting in these dreams and causing you all this grief. But now, you’re faced with a scenario in your dream of being married... and that causes you no grief.”

You shrug. “I don’t know. Maybe it was just a dream? No real context?”

“While a cigar can sometimes just be a cigar, we’ve seen in the past that is not usually the case,” she says with a sigh. “And considering the very nature of your condition, that it’s partly magically induced, there’s always a need to take a closer look. So until we know the cigar is just a cigar, let me know if you dream of this foal again. It just might be the lead up to something bigger.”

“I will,” you say tiredly. “The only thing that really matters is that I’m getting better, right?”

“That’s true, that’s true.” Rarity says with a tired smile. “You’ve definitely made strides and are getting better. We just have to see where those strides take us and if we’re ever going to get better..”

“Better... What is better...” You trail off and take a deep breath before reaching out and grabbing Rarity’s hoof. “I don't know if I've said this yet, or enough times, but I am thankful for you sticking around despite everything. A lesser mare would have run at this challenge.”

Rarity lets out a loud scoff. “Puh-LEASE darling! Nightmare Moon was a challenge. Discord was a challenge. You are not a challenge, some obstacle to be overcome. You are my special somepony and I’m here for you, no matter what.”

You start to smile from ear to ear. “Thank you.”

You both start to lapse into silence as you work on your plates before Rarity is the first to break it.

“You know, it’s rather funny...” She says idly. “You’re biggest lesson to me is the biggest lesson we both are taking away from this.”

You blink once, then twice. “What do you mean?”

“Well, think about it. ‘There’s no such thing as perfection’. You said those words to me all that time ago. I’ve tried to take those words to heart, tell myself that every day and while I know it can be difficult, I know it’s true.” She offers you a tired smile. “I think the old Rarity would still be pining and moaning about how last night wasn’t what I dreamed of. But I’ve managed to find the things I enjoyed about it and that’s what’s important.”

You remain quiet as you watch her gather herself.

“And I think, this is the final thing we need to get through. My ever-loving darling, you are not perfect.” She says flatly. “You can do nothing in moderation, you overreact, you hide things that you think would put burden on another, and won’t let anypony treat you nice for one moment without looking to return the favor.”

That makes you hitch slightly. “Wha-”

“And that’s fine. Remember? Nothing’s perfect. If we don’t accept the good with the bad, we’ll go mad in the end.” She smiles warmly. “Because you care for me deeply, put me ahead and on top of every list and love me each day as if it was the first.”

Rarity’s words ring in your ears and you find yourself start to smile goofily.

“Does this help darling? Do you still think you’re going to wake up one morning and see I’m gone? Because in all honesty, that is the one thing that sets me off and makes me irritated. The very fact that I’d leave my prince.”

You feel your heart flutter in your chest.

“Thank you for that... But if we get any more lovey dovey, I might just overdose from all this sweetness,” you laugh. “I don’t think Bones would appreciate me going into hyperglycemic shock on my vacation.

Rarity waves a hoof. “If it helps, it helps~”

“It does.” Taking a deep breath, you reach out and grab both of her hooves. “Alright, here’s the plan for today. We’re going to get dressed and we’re going to hit the town. See a few museums, take in the sights, right up until tonight. And we’re going to sit right by the river Reign and watch the fireworks.”

She leans in, smiling. “Reign in Flammen... On top of the Celesteskirche...” Rarity says wistfully.

You nod slowly as you finish off the last few scraps on your plate. “The Celesteskirche, or ‘Celestia Church’ is the oldest church in the city. It isn’t used for worship anymore, but it’s still one of the best places to see the fireworks and how they dance across the water.”

Rarity lets out an excited squeal and claps her hooves together. “This is going to be quite the night!”

**********************************

“What do you mean it’s all booked up?” You ask agape. You were doing everything you could not to raise your voice. You were having flashbacks to the Queue du Chevaux. “My parents attended here last year and told me it was free to the public!”

The two ponies behind the desk sigh in exasperation. “Yes, but this year, you need to buy tickets in advance,” the walnut stallion says. “I’m sorry, but if you’re going to come here, you tourists really should do your research.”

You could feel a vein throbbing in your temple. “I was born in this country, you dummkopf.”

The stallion tenses up and glares at you and you do the same, only to have a hoof pull you back.

“Darling, darling... It’s alright. We’ll find another place.” Rarity says. She gives you a look that just screams ‘don’t make a scene’ and you find yourself relenting.

“Alright, alright...” You mutter, walking away dejectedly. You half hear the mare next to your instigator say something, but by then you’re halfway down the street.

The night had been going so well, too. A visit to the opera, a stop by an ancient history museum and to top it all off, a night on top of the Celesteskirche with a live band, dancing and the best view of the river.

“I’m not giving this up that easily, Rarity.” You say firmly. “I want to end this night on the highest note possible.”

“We can’t always get the perfect ending, darling...” She says with a sigh. “But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want the same.”

Your walk leads you to a park bench a stone’s throw away from the Celesteskirche and you take a load off of your hooves and loosen your tie.

Rarity adjusts her satin red dress and takes a seat right next to you before mimicking your tired sigh. “Last night here,” she says plainly.

“Mmhm...”

Her eyes climb the tower. “I’m sure it’s not that overbooked,” she says. “That stallion gave us a dirty look the minute I opened my mouth and spoke Equish. I think he has a thing against tourists. It’s like the Queue du Chevaux all over again.”

“Mmhm... Yeah,” you say downtrodden. “If only we could get around them.”

“Well, we...”

Rarity trails off and you look over to her. She looks conflicted as her eyes dart to the ground and to a corner of the building. That’s when you see it.

A service entrance.

It clicks and you look to her with wild eyes.

You couldn’t possibly be thinking of doing that. And she couldn’t. She couldn’t possibly-

“...We could always, you know... slip around them,” she says innocently. “I’m sure that we could find our way to the top. But that’d be wrong. We’d be breaking and entering.”

“It wouldn’t be that wrong. I mean, as far as crimes go, we’re just going someplace that’s usually open to the public. And if they are charging, we could always leave some money behind somewhere.” You say aloud. “It’d be a victimless crime and it’d be like we paid.”

“Yes... Yes, indeed...” Rarity says smiling slowly. Then suddenly, she tenses up and shakes her head. “No. No, we can’t possibly do that. I mean, the door is most likely locked and-”

You both shut up as the service entrance door opens up and a haggard looking mare walks out. You watch curiously as she picks up a large stone and uses it to prop the door open before walking right around the corner with a cigarette in her mouth.

Looking to the side, you see something in Rarity’s eyes and you can’t believe she’s thinking the same thing you are.

Getting up, you both dash towards the door, but just short of it, you push Rarity against the wall. She opens her mouth to say something, but you shush her and pick up a stone off the ground and chuck it as hard as you can at a trash can.

The minute the stone hits, you grab Rarity by the hoof and fling the door open.

“Wha-” You vaguely hear the mare let out a startled cry and feel your heart start hammering in your chest. You absolutely panic, but the sound of chimes stops it short and you watch the rock float out the doorway and the door close.

You and Rarity are deathly silent and you hear the doorknob jiggle.

“Up.” Rarity says breathlessly.

You swallow dryly and are right on her heels as she’s the one to be leading you this time.

Your heart hammers in your ears and your mouth is so dry right now and you just numbly follow after her up the stairs.

In your heightened state, you hear a door open directly above you. You grab firmly onto Rarity’s hoof and stop her panicked climb and look up.

She does as well and in the stairwell, you clearly see a couple of mares coming down the stairs.

With no time to lose, you fling open the closest door near you and duck inside with Rarity in tow.

You let out a little sigh of relief as you find yourself in a locker room, but Rarity didn’t seem to have the same look on her face.

“We’re in so much trouble.” She says breathlessly. “We are in SO much trouble.”

“We’re only in trouble if we’re caught,” you say. As much as you wanted to sound cool and confident right now, you couldn’t stop yourself from hyperventilating and your voice cracking. “We just gotta... We gotta think.”

Looking around the room, you see a shelf with a number of outfits for mares and stallions.

“We’ll look the part, come on, grab a uniform.”

Rarity looks at you mortified as you hold out the maid’s outfit and you can see a small blush start to color her cheeks.

“No. I am not dressing like that. I will for you at home, but not for a public.” She says with a sneer. “I have some dignity, we just-”

“Are you excited? We’re gonna be serving some of the most prestigious ponies! We may not be the upper crust, but play our cards right...”

“I can’t wait! Come on, let’s get changed! I still need to do my makeup!”

You hear the voices right outside the door and the adrenaline is enough to smack both you and Rarity into overdrive and her previous qualms are quickly silenced. Now both of you are in a dressing room and trying to get dressed as quickly and quietly as possible.

“Help me with the socks... Celestia knows why they need them...” Rarity grumbles. “Your uniform is so much more simple.”

“Yes, but yours helps show off your assets.” You whisper. “Now help me with this bowtie.”

“So does yours, it seems. Aren’t those pants a little tight?”

“Really? Now? Of all times?”

“No, I’m serious. They look like they’re one step above spandex. I can see every curve on your butt and they leave no imagination around the crotch.”

“I don’t care, come on, we gotta hurry up now keep calm and follow my lead.”

Both in your uniforms are something that anypony would see a butler or maid wear in Canterlot. Black and white trim with all the bells and whistles one would need to call themselves a maid or butler.

You both try to walk out of the dressing room as nonchalantly as possible, but find the two mares whom you heard earlier staring at you and standing just outside the door.

“Umm... E-Everything okay?” One of the mares ask. “We, uh, heard a lot of quick dressing and whispering going on.” You swear you see a blush appear under her fur.

“O-Oh, uh... It’s uh, well...” There goes you taking the lead. You had a story in your head all planned out, but the mare’s insinuation makes you start blushing. “You see...”

“My coltfriend was just helping me with a stuck zipper, isn’t that right dear?” Rarity says with a bashful smile, topped off with an adorable titter.

You swallow your tongue and just nod. “Uh, yes. Stuck zipper.”

There’s no way they’re going to buy this. You think with growing fear.

“I know we aren’t supposed to... share a dressing room but it was just a one time thing, you know?” She continues, smiling all the time.

All three mares share a look and the two in your way look to each other and blush deeply.

“Well, umm... If it’s a one time thing... Then I don’t see what the huge problem is,” The first mare says, blushing harder.

The second mare nods slowly. “Yeah. We understand a thing or two about... stuck zippers.”

You couldn’t believe what was going on and decide to just keep your mouth shut.

“Well, I think my coltfriend and I have kept you two long enough, we’re going to our posts. See you up there!” With a shimmer and chime of magic, you feel Rarity tug and pull you out of the room, still in a slight stupor at everything that just happened.

As the door closes and you both start to ascend the stairs, she lets out a long, pained sigh.

“Great. Every time those mares see me, they’ll remember how I had a quick romp with a stallion in a dressing room,” Rarity groans. “Celestia, kill me now.”

“Let her do it later... We’re not in the clear yet. We still need to get to the top of the tower and then somehow ditch these uniforms and finally, blend in enough to enjoy our night.”

“We’re going to spend tonight in jail, aren’t we?” She says darkly.

“Yeah, with that attitude. Come on, we just have to be a fly on the wall.” You say above a whisper. “Walk the walk and talk the talk.”

The next few minutes are tense. You pass by a number of ponies, both workers and party goers before finally making it to the top of the stairs.

When you do, your jaw drops.

You expected it to be a very ritzy party, but this was far beyond anything you expected. You hear Rarity’s breath hitch in her throat and give her a small glance. Her eyes are as wide as dinner plates.

And for good reason.

The top of the tower was open to the night air and lit by a number of crystal chandeliers that weren’t hanging, but floating.

Music filled the air and you could swear the crystal lights were dancing along with the tune. They were an ensemble of mares and stallions you didn’t recognize, but their musical skills were obvious.

The spread of food and drink was wide and grand, with things you thought only existed in Canterlot or the upper crust of the noble houses.

You realize you’ve been standing there for far too long and give Rarity a little nudge to start moving.

“Let’s check for an empty balcony,” she half whispers. “Then-”

“Ah! Good, you’re here. You can start by offering our guests a glass of Eiswein.” A rather important looking stallion in a matching outfit as yours gives you a silver tray of wine glasses.

It takes a moment for it to register what he just said, but the second you get a good look at the tray and just what you were holding, you feel your gut drop.

Eiswein. You think. Ice wine. I’m holding a tray of ice wine that’s worth more than what I make in a year.

You look to Rarity and silently beg for help. From the look on her face, she realizes what you just did and takes a step towards you, only to be ushered away by the stallion.

“The hors d'oeuvres are over on that table, offer them to some of the dignitaries and make sure to...” They trail off as they disappear into the crowd, leaving you all alone.

Don’t drop it. Don’t drop it. For the love of all that is good, DON’T DROP IT!

You do your best to mimic your ‘co-workers’ carrying around their trays, holding it up with one hoof and walking on the other three in what was becoming a completely contrived way of delivering drinks.

Why can’t they just get a cart to carry these all around?!? You think, grinding your teeth. This can’t go on for that long... We’ve got to get our chance...

**********************************

A full hour later and your hooves ache, your back hurts and you couldn’t take any more of this. Setting your empty tray on a nearby table, you manage to slink off to one of the nearby balconies.

The fireworks were supposed to be starting soon after the next dance, which could happen any minute. It would be okay to watch if the ponies here didn’t dance like they did in Canterlot.

Just watching them totter along made you groan and sigh. At this moment, you wanted to be anywhere but here.

“What a great idea this was...” You mumble. “I’m an idiot.”

“We’re both idiots,” Rarity says with a sigh, making you jump. Turning to her, she looks more than a little frazzled with a few stray hairs of her mane sticking up. “How could we not see the possibility of us being dragged into working to keep up the charade?”

“And the night’s almost over...” You add.

You let those words hang in the air and it just lets you know that this whole affair was a mista-

“Buck it.”

Your head whips to the side and you look to Rarity agaw. “W-What?”

“I said buck it. I’m done playing this little game of maid for them. So, when the next dance begins, we’re going to join in.” She states plainly, losing the headband and a few frills. “I’m sorry darling, but I’m not going to have our last evening here be stuck serving drinks to nobles. Thinking it over, I’d rather spend the night in a Mecklenburg jail than listen to one more elderly stallion ask if I would like to work for them and be on their ‘staff’.”

“Wait, work... what?” You feel yourself start to bristle with anger. “Who asked you tMMPH!”

You don’t know when she grabbed you by the lapels or when she started kissing you, but you knew three things: she was rough, she was needy and...

“Now darling...” She starts. Her voice is firm and it sends a chill through your spine. “Are you going to come out to the dance floor or am I going to have to drag you out there?”

... and she was only ever like this in the bedroom.

You slowly manage to swallow the lump in your throat and nod. “Yes... Yes, let’s get ready.”

“Good.” Her smile only grows bigger as the orchestra starts to pick up, wasting no time as the heavy drums, cellos, violins and woodwind pick up in a flurry. “Let’s make this a night to remember.”

With a flick of her hoof, she grabs you by the collar and starts dragging you onto the dance floor, much to the chagrin of many-a pony there.

You don’t know if it’s the beat of the music pounding in your ears or how Rarity’s dominant side starts to shine through, but you don’t care and start to meet her halfway.

And like the many times you’ve dance with her before, you waste no time and rear up, standing on your back legs and start to dance in earnest.

*******

“Daaaarling~” Rarity coos as you give a little flourish in time with the record player and it makes you smile. “Pleeease...”

With a small pause in the music, you start a small trail of kisses up her shoulder, to her cheek and then her lips. “Yes mein schatzi, whatever you desire. Name it.”

You do your best not to trip over the living room rug or kick Opal for a second time this week and while it wasn’t Canterlot, the Carousel Boutique was the two of yours own personal dance hall for tonight.

“Don’t ever let me go.”

*******

“Oh my gosh, this is an outrage!” You hear one noble pony yell. But you don’t care.

All you care about is making your mare happy and if she wants to waltz tonight, by the sun and the stars, you are going to waltz until they all burn out.

One, two, three. One, two, three. You count in your head with each step. You’ve done this enough times with her at home, but it makes you feel more confident and it shows.

Any other time, you’d start to try and lead the dance, but you know better right now and simply do as she instructs. Every subtle movement she makes is a request or an order and you follow through easily enough, spinning with her and adding your own flourishes.

From the smile on her face, you knew you were doing splendidly.

“Stop this! Stop this instant!”

During one flourish, you catch sight of the butler pony who had ordered you earlier and let out a little scoff.

“I can’t, I’m sorry. I just can’t stand to be a graue maus like you.” You say with a hearty laugh. While not as Swiftian as you’d like, the look on his face is priceless.

The music picks up just a little faster and you can feel the climax coming soon, so you put him out of your mind and focus on your mare. In your one act of defiance, you use your momentum and pick up Rarity off the ground, holding her aloft as you pivot on your hoof for almost a full turn.

By the time you set her down, she’s giggling like a school filly and the song has ended. All around you, it’s quiet. The band has stopped and every pony is staring. Some in anger, other is shock, though a few have a pleased look on their face.

All at once, the memories come back and you’re right back at Queue du Chevaux after that fateful dance.

“Oh come off now. It’s not like any of you were doing it right,” you say, smiling cheekily.

The stallion butler is just looking at you, seething and you swear you can see a vein bulging in his forehead.

“Call the guards! The police! I want these two in irons!”

That was all you needed for your cool demeanor to falter and after feeling Rarity tense up in your grip, you figure she’s in the same boat.

And just when you think things are over, the fireworks begin.

The start of Reign en Flammen always starts with a bang and the deafening boom and flash of the fireworks is all you need; grabbing onto Rarity, you bolt for the nearest exit.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE WE DID THAT!” Rarity cackles as you both thunder down the stairs, hearing the startled ponies from the observation deck coming in hot on your heels.

“Not out of the woods yet, my love! As a dear friend of mine has said before ‘Run fast or lose your ass!” With a delighted laugh, you make a mad dash down a hallway, knocking over an empty hat rack and throwing open some doors along the way, hoping to slow your pursuers down.

From the thumps and thuds behind you, it’s working and when you get out to the open street, the fresh air of the night and dull roar of the fireworks sets your blood ablaze, letting you know, yes indeed, that just happened.

You don’t stop running until you’re far down the street and by the river.

“O-Ooooh my... Oh my...” Rarity heaves, her breathes long and labored from the dead sprint. “We... that was...”

“Just what the doctor ordered...” You gasp out. “That could have been our entire vacation. And it would have been worth it.”

Collapsing into the nearby bench, Rarity unbuttons the front of her dress and fans herself.“Why did even do that?”

“I dunno,” you breathe out, joining her side. You’re sore, your sweaty and you know you’re gonna be feeling tomorrow.

Looking to Rarity and meeting her eyes, you don’t know what prompts you, but you lean in and give her a peck on the lips.

And just like that, the flame is roaring and her lips are on yours again, the kisses coming hotter and faster.

Oh yeah, I’m gonna feel this in the morning.