• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 457 Views, 7 Comments

Apples & Lucky Horseshoes - DaringBraeburn



Applebloom has always been a blank flank and tied down to her farm in Ponyville. With a powerful relic, her cutiemark, and her life on the line, will Applebloom be able to save herself, her new friends, and the entire town?

  • ...
1
 7
 457

Death Bed

Everything was cloudy, but in a warm yet hazy sort of way. I could hear the soft clicking of hoofsteps through the mist and looked around to see where it was coming from. A large shadow appeared, causing me to step back from the rising dread in my chest.

"Do not fear me child for I am but a friend sent to help you." a rich yet effeminate voice cooed. I looked to my right and jumped a good few feet in the air. A young earthpony mare about my age was standing before me, almost shrouded in fog.

From what I could tell she had a light green coat with a long, magenta mane that reminded me of a water lily. Her eyes were an unmistakable amber with a small amount of gold and silver flecks in them, making her look almost...godly. Maybe it was just me but she seemed to be radiating a gentle yellow glow.

"How am ah a child when you're almost as old as me?!" I exclaimed, stomping a hoof in pure frustration. Why did everypony think they were better than me?! The young mare just gave a quiet little giggle before curling her lips up in a sympathetic little smile.

"I am centuries older than you, I just choose to be seen like this." she whispered. Her royal almost commanding voice seemed to calm the blow of knowing she was older than me by many years. Why was everypony older than me!?

"Age is not the problem here, the 'Scorpion's Charm' is. You were on the verge of being possessed by it and now you a suffering from magic withdrawal." she murmured with concern. Her golden/amber eyes seemed to glow in the mist.

"Magic withdrawal?" I whimpered, obviously not liking the sound of it.

"Of course my child. When you attempted to merge with the charm it stole most of your magic. The magic that you control to farm or even breathe. As of right now, you are slowly dying on a cot in your friend's blacksmith shop." she whispered. A jaw dropped to the floor, and it took me a good second to realize it was mine.

"AHM DYING! Ah need to get back to my body! What am ah doing here?" I screamed. I was now thoroughly frightened and didn't want anything to do with this mare or her crazy words. A quiet hush came over me and the misty place we were in almost like a spell.

"Shhhh." she cooed. "That is why I am here to help you my child."

"B-but h-how? What can you do to save me?" I whimpered. "Yer too old to even be alive!"

"That's certainly not a problem." she giggled. "I live within you."

"Wh-what?!" I gaped. My ears flattened back against my head in fear and confusion. How did she live inside me?!

"Shhhh." she cooed again. "I'm guessing you want a better explanation." she smiled. I gave a hard swallow and a nod before taking a step back from an almost blinding light. "Let me tell you about my life little Applebloom. It was certainly a complicated one."

"Is that actually how you looked when you were alive or...are you just trying to copy how ah look to make me feel more comfortable. Cuz it ain't working."I snorted, realizing that she looked a lot like yours truly, without the bow and same coat colors of course. Why hadn't I caught up on that sooner? Maybe the foggy mist stuff was messing with my brain.

"This is actually how I looked when I was among the living. It was quite tragic that I never made it to adulthood." she hushed. Somehow I wasn't freaked out at the fact that she had most likely been murdered. Anyways, I looked back up to the projection and began to take in the sights and sounds coming from it. It was like I was seeing the world through another pony's eyes; and I enjoyed it.

A set of images appeared on the projection-like screen in the mist accompanied with her smooth yet quiet narration. I found myself trying to reach out to the lifelike images but only to grab nothing but air. "You are a very curious child. One of the most curious I have seen in a long time." she giggled.

* * * *

"A long time ago there was a king who ruled over all of Equipt." she whispered. The screen was filled with statues and other sorts of ancient drawings of this 'king'. "His rule was a peaceful, much like your Princess Celestia."

"One day he visited the small, little village of Zaru. This village was my home from birth and would be until my death." A small picture of a desert town not unlike Appleloosa filled the mist screen. "I was completely alone, no family or money. I was an orphan, picking through the scraps and waste of the community."

"When he came, the town rejoiced and held parties for his presence. The strays such as myself watched from alleys and rooftops just to get a glimpse of our 'so called king', seeing as though he had never done anything for us." Another lifelike picture filled the screen. This one had ponies dancing in odd linen clothes while ragged young children watched with wistful eyes.

"One of the younger children accidentally pushed me off of the roof in an attempt to get a better view. I landed right on the king himself." she chuckled with amusement. The image changed to that of carvings in stone of what I presumed to be the mishap. I shoved my hooves in my mouth to muffle my giggling.

"Despite landing on top of him I was still severely injured. While most of the aristoponies wanted to throw me in an alleyway the king decided he would take care of me, at least for the night." This time a picture of a malnourished little filly, not much younger than myself, filled the screen. Behind her were the same linen clothed ponies seeming to decide her fate.

"He treated me to the lap of luxury, even though I greatly refused." A picture of the same filly filled the screen again, except this time she seemed cleaner and bit healthier. The table in front of her was filled with assorted food on platters which she pushed away with a hoof.

"He showed a serious concern for me, one that no pony had ever shown before. At the time I had no idea why he would waste his concern on a filthy street rat, but I would eventually learn to enjoy it." This one showed a portrait of some sort with the filly and a colt that had to be a couple years older than her. It was actually quite adorable.

"Instead of leaving and moving on to the next town to visit and pass through, he stayed. It was quite a significant decision on his part and I couldn't help but wonder why he would." Another picture suffused the screen, once again of the couple. This time the two were dancing except that the orphans were dancing with them.

"Since I had been an orphan I showed respect and love for them that others could not have imagined. All of the wealth I received from the king was given to the strays, and it felt good to give." Another picture of the filly entered the screen, and this time she was giving a bowl of food to a colt.

"One afternoon he asked for my hoof in marriage. Of course I said no seeing as though I was barely a mare." she snorted, obviously still a bit miffed even though centuries had passed. "I said that I would never leave my home no matter what he offered me. Do you know what he did?" she asked incredulously.

"No." I said quietly, while giving my head a curt shake.

"He built a castle right in the center of town!" Another picture popped up. This time of a very large and quite ornate looking structure. It may not have been Canterlot or The Crystal Empire but...it was certainly beautiful. "Not to mention he named it after me!"

"What is yer name? Ah never got it actually." I mused. The young mare just gave a small smile and another giggle. "Oh yes...silly me. My name is Heka Anippe...named after magic and the Nile itself."

"My husband named that structure 'Heka's Palace'. Quite personally I thought the place was ugly but then again...Khafre always had his ways of coaxing me into things." she mumbled quietly. Part of me wondered if she was just trying to kill me by taking so long with her story but...I was actually interested at this point.

"Oh don't worry, I'm not going to get you killed. We have all the time in the world." she giggled, much to my surprise. She could read my mind?! "Why of course I can read your mind dear child. I live inside you, remember?" My jaw dropped to the floor again and I had to pick it up.

"I almost forgot. Back to the story." she crooned. This time a colored picture showed up in the mist. It was of a strong looking unicorn stallion dressed in battle gear and ready for war. His coat was dark azure while his mane was a jet black. Hie eyes were unmistakably green and determined...like Applejack's.

"That is my husband....his name is Khafre Runihura, the destroyer and Pharaoh. While his name may have entitled destruction, his reign certainly did not. All of Equipt bowed to him and revered him to be their King and god." she boasted with pride. I couldn't take my eyes off the portrait since Khafre seemed so...familiar.

"A few years passed and we had a family. A wonderful...beautiful family. Until HE came along." she whimpered. There was a type of sadness and depravity in her voice, one that I had never heard before. Before I could ask a question another picture entered the screen. This one was of the filly, maybe a few years older than me and now a mare. She and Khafre were posing with their...SEVEN CHILDREN?!

"Yes. We had seven children. Two of them were twins." she chuckled with enjoyment. Once again, I felt my jaw drop to the floor but this time Heka closed it for me. "I loved them regardless."

"That one was Abasi Mosi, stern and our first born. He was set to rule over Equipt, just like his father." she smiled lovingly while pointing a hoof to a frowning unicorn colt. He had a light purple coat that reminded me of Twilight's and a light orange mane that reminded me of Big Mac's. His eyes were green like his father's.

"That one was Adio Manu, righteous and our second born. He was always trying his hardest to be better than his older brother and younger siblings. Not to mention he was the strongest of them all." she sighed, pointing a hoof to a larger yellow earthpony colt. His mane was dark gray color that reminded me of clay and his eyes looked just like Heka's.

"Now that one is Chione Basara, our third born, beautiful, and named after the Nile. She was indeed a lovely filly that enjoyed to dress in some of the most fashionable clothes, much to her father's dismay." she snickered, pointing to hoof to a pretty light blue unicorn in a frilly dress that reminded me of Tendercare. Except for the fact her mane was chartreuse green like Blade's coat and her eyes were just like her father's.

"The next one is Eshe Neyth, our fourth born and full of life. She was always the one to make me laugh and take care of all her siblings, no matter how bad they treated her. The odd one out I suppose." she said, pointing to a red earthpony filly with a wavy black mane. She seemed happy in the picture and was waving to the camera. Her eyes looked just like Heka's.

"This one is Femi Sagira, our fifth born, the littlest one, and the most loving one. She studied all types of medicine and cure-alls and even created a few. She was always picked on by her siblings though, since she was smallest." she sighed, pointing to a tiny, tiny little unicorn filly. She had a light pink coat with a blue-violet mane and tail. Her eyes were like her father's.

"This one is Kek Msrah, one of our sixth born, and named after darkness. He was quiet and very patient when it came to his older siblings. The only pony that seemed to really understand him was his twin...Keket." she uttered, pointing a hoof to a tan earthpony foal wrapped up in a blanket. From what I could see his mane was a dark, bloody crimson, along with his eyes. Didn't look much like 'the night', but certainly looked a lot like me.

Heka turned away from the screen, and judging by the way she was looking she didn't want to say anymore. "Who's that one? Keket?" I asked, pointing to the other foal wrapped up in her mother's arms. Why didn't she want to tell me about her?

"That was Keket Msrah, our youngest and sixth born. She too was named after the night and wore her title well. She was peaceful yet quiet and knew how to play with the minds of other ponies. For the longest time I had no idea she was using her royal stature to play with dark magics." she muttered, almost as if it were painful to say.

"How could she use magic if she's an earthpony?" I drawled. Heka still looked seriously upset but seemed to gain some composure at the question. "Much like your Zecora she used potions and brews along with scary dark substances to create magic. Her magic could have rivaled almost any powerful unicorn's if put to the test. If not stronger."

"But I digress. None of this would have happened if HE hadn't come along. He caused all of our problems and turned my own daughter against me!" she whimpered, close to tears. I wrapped a hoof around her but she pushed me away and gave an indignant snort.

"Do not try to share my burden, for it is mine and mine alone! But I can tell you about it, so let me begin again."she whimpered. Holding her head up high even though I could see the tears glistening in her eyes. She had to be strong to hold it together for centuries.

"Since Khafre was young when he took the throne...he was appointed an advisor who would give him guidance when it came to decisions. When his first loyal advisor died after many years of service...he appointed one of his childhood friends. This one's happened to be Tarik Usi, a warrior named after illusions. I should have know he traitor from the moment I met him." she scoffed. Another picture of a unicorn stallion filled the screen. This one was dark green with a white almost silvery mane and his eyes were a radiant, bubbly green...like Blade's.

"Everything went smoothly until one night Khafre was feeling more ill than a regular cold. Femi suggested he had been poisoned but of course nopony believed her. We should have." she sniffled. I wanted to hug her again but I didn't feel like being pushed away. "He died the next day and I could have done something to save him."

"We were all devastated, I took it quite hard. I wouldn't leave my room or talk to anypony. It was quite embarrassing to say the least. Not to mention Abasi had to take the throne much earlier than he should have." her voice was now shaking with grief and regret even though she maintained a calm demeanor.

"Then one day...it all just crumbled." she whimpered. Her calm demeanor was gone and replaced with a bereavement and despair. I felt for her even though I barely knew her. "I walked into the throne room to see...this."

A grainy, black and white picture flashed on the screen making me jump back from fright. When my eyes adjusted to the bright light coming from it I shuddered with disgust. Her three sons, Abasi, Adio, and Kek were lying dead on the floor with their four sisters shaking and crying in the corner. I wretched on the floor and whimpered at the gory sight all while begging Heka to take it away.

"It never gets any easier to see." she sobbed quietly. "Wh-who w-would do somethin' like that to yer foals?" I sniveled shakily. The young mare just sighed and changed the picture to a blank screen.

"At the time I had no idea. My girls were so traumatized they didn't talk about the...incident." Heka weeped. "It wasn't until Tarik was throned did I know he was responsible for it all."

"How did Tarik take the throne if he wasn't an heir?" I shuddered. Even though it was a dream I could still taste the bile in my mouth. "If there are no princes then the throne is automatically given to his advisers unless there is a queen. I was so distraught I had to step down from the throne to make sure our subjects wouldn't grow restless. Thus, me and my remaining children were thrown from power, making Tarik king."

"The only reason why we stayed in the castle was because Tarik had an interest with Keket and her magic. At first I thought they had an inappropriate relationship seeing that Tarik was twice her age but all he wanted was to rule Equipt with force." she muttered bitterly.

"He even went as far as to appoint her as his own advisor, which would ultimately turn her against her own family." Another picture flashed the screen this time of a mare that looked exactly like me. She was covered with what looked to be blood and was holding a knife in her teeth. I reared back and screamed as panic started to sink in. She looked so much like me!

"She started sacrificing ponies and all sorts of heinous acts I can't even describe, all under Tasrik's rule! It wasn't until she started going for her own sisters did I finally step in." This time a picture of the 'Scorpion's Charm' flashed onto the screen but this time it wasn't blue. I started to hyperventilate as even more panic struck in. This thing was killing me!

"I was able to use this talisman of sorts to get her under control but my spell was thwarted by Tarik and his power hungry ways. He knew my plan and was ready to kill me but it backfired." Heka growled. The charm turned the blue I had remembered and Heka hissed even more.

"Tarik's lethal magic and my own spell were absorbed by the charm and expelled to all in the room. Tarik and I were killed on contact while Keket soul was sucked into it the charm. From the events that have transpired I can tell you she's sentient and willing to do anything to posses another body." Heka stated grimly.

"Ah understand why she wants mah magic but how do ya 'live inside me'?" I queried. Heka gave a slow nod before opening her mouth to sigh. "You may not believe what I am about to say child." I just gave a shrug and looked at her expectantly.

"Well..." she sighed uneasily. "I don't know how. But when I was killed, pieces of my soul were attached to my daughter's. It made it possible to feel and see through their eyes, but I could'nt necessarily intervene with their lives. A part of my soul is passed down to each one of my descendants meaning you are related to me." I felt my jaw drop again but picked it up before any drool could come out.

"Yer related to me?! What about the rest of mah family like Braeburn and Applejack?!" I exclaimed with pure and utter astonishment. Heka just looked a little unhappy but gave me a nod. "Yes. They do have bloodline connected to me, but none of your family members are in any harm. Only you a can be possessed because Keket needs an almost perfect pony to posses. Not only are you blood of the Pharoahs, but you also look exactly like her." I felt my jaw drop once again but another question came to mind before I could say anything else.

"Yer attached to me too. Does that make ya mah conscious?" I gasped. Heka just shot me a look of sympathy but shook her head. "Not exactly child but I can somewhat influence your actions. I am merely attached to you. I am also here for when you need guidance but I there is one condition."

"Please, I'll do anything! I just wanna see mah sister again!" I whimpered feeling tears in my eyes. Just the thought of never seeing Appljack, Big Mac, Granny Smith, and even Winona made me sob. I fell on my haunches and buried my muzzle into my hooves trying to comfort myself. It wasn't until I felt a comforting hoof on my shoulder did I look up.

"All I need is access to your body. Let me take over when I need to so that I can keep you stable." she whispered nonchalantly. Something about her tone made me think twice about taking her offer but...she was a relative. Why would she ever want to hurt me?

"Y-yes! Ah just wanna see mah sis again!" I pleaded. "Very well my Applebloom. I can tell you are very willing." she smiled before planting a kiss on my fore head. The mist seemed to swirl around me before the ground gave beneath me and the world went black.