• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 457 Views, 7 Comments

Apples & Lucky Horseshoes - DaringBraeburn



Applebloom has always been a blank flank and tied down to her farm in Ponyville. With a powerful relic, her cutiemark, and her life on the line, will Applebloom be able to save herself, her new friends, and the entire town?

  • ...
1
 7
 457

Salt Blocks

"Woah nelly." I nickered as I stepped into the saloon. It was much larger on the inside than on the outside.

"I know right. Isn't it awesome?" the chartreuse unicorn smiled proudly. "This is the 'hypothetical' life of the town. Anypony who is anypony comes here often to enjoy the salt blocks, the company, the video games, the poker, or to shoot some pool."

At first I though it was a bar for older ponies like a few Big Mac had told me about but...I was mistaken. There were many colts and fillies wandering around who didn't even have their cutiemarks. Not to mention a bunch of ponies about our age were lounging around and chatting. He was also right about all of the attractions, arcade games to poker tables filled the room.

"Hey. Come over here." he said, pointing a hoof to a couple of empty bar stools at the bar but this one didn't seem to serve any alcohol. I followed obediently since I had never been in a place like 'The Salt Block Saloon' at least that was what the sign had said. I felt uncomfortable just sitting there, almost as if ponies were staring at me.

"Have you ever tried a salt block before?" he said with a sure smile. I gave an ample smile before shaking my head 'no'. I didn't really want to either, but I also didn't want to be rude.

"Hey Jack? Would ya mind getting us a small quart block?" he smiled to the bartender who just shook his head. Steel Blade gave a baffled little smile before the bartender actually spoke.

"I'm sorry sir, but we don't serve to minors." he stated smoothly before motioning to me. I felt a burning sensation in my throat and cheeks as my new friend realized I didn't have a cutiemark. He didn't say a word and ordered the block for himself along with two bottles of water.

"Just because they're not allowed to give it to you doesn't mean I can't." he said with another sure little smile. "Let's go eat this outside, huh? Where they can't silently judge us."

I gave a small grateful smile as the chartreuse unicorn opened the door and closed it behind me. It was nice to see that somepony actually cared about my well being and state of mind. Then again he had dragged me into the place so...he kinda owed me.

"Here. Why don't you give it a taste and see how you like it. Then drink some of the water and it'll be a whole lot better." he smiled again. I was genuinely starting to like the guy even though I didn't really trust him at first.

"Also, I don't like being called Steel Blade or Steel. Blade is good. What's your name miss?" he asked expectantly. I gave him a small smile of my own before sitting down on the wooden deck of the tavern. A second later Blade sat down himself with a quizzical look on his face. I gave small shrug but still answered his question.

"Mah name is Applebloom and ah just came from Ponyville. Ah was also looking for mah cousin when ya dragged me here but ah don't really mind. It's pretty nice, like ya said it would be." I murmured as I began to nibble on the briny little piece of white block he had given me. I found myself actually liking the pungent taste.

"Wow...really? I heard that place is really dangerous, it gets destroyed like every week! At least that's what Kickstar told me." he said in awe. I felt a little uncomfortable but managed a little smile.

"Not really. Ah heard Appleloosa was even more dangerous than Ponyville. Also, who's Kickstar? You sure do talk about her alot. Is she your fillyfriend?" I said with a small smirk. The buck just blushed slightly and looked away in frustration.

"Why does everypony think that? No, she's my sister. I'm single too, if that's what you're asking...but I don't date blank flanks." he snorted in pure embarrassment and frustration. I could feel my cheeks burning hotter than live coals at the last comment, but chose to ignore it.

"Sorry, but I still think Appleloosa is dangerous. At least from what my sister told me." I muttered bitterly. Why would he think I would want to date him? NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT!

"Only if you hang around the wrong ponies and at the wrong places. Then it can get pretty dicey but I don't really think it's that dangerous. Then again, I hang out with ponies I just met so..." he trailed off. His eyes were looking off into the distance but he wasn't saying a word. Not to mention his ear was twitching in an odd manner, as if he were listening to something.

"So...you two enjoying your date?" a raspy voice snickered from behind us. My body instantly froze up at the aggresive sounding tone it carried. I looked over to to Blade, who's face was contorted in rage. Whatever was going to happen I knew it would be bad.

"Leave us alone Thunder...I'm just showing her around the town. Shouldn't you be inside, flirting with your whore of a fillyfriend?" Blade growled through gritted teeth. I shuddered at his use of language since I figured he would never talk like that. I was waiting for the buck behind us to seize Blade or something but...eerie silence ensued.

"If I remember correctly, that whore should be your sister." the voice chuckled with malice. Blade bristled at the comment but sat there unmoved and undeterred. I felt so out of place in the argument, I wasn't even supposed to be there. Somepony else seemed to know it too.

"Hmm? Looks like your little fillyfriend is getting scared. Maybe you should calm her down before she runs off like all the rest. Wait...she's a blank flank. Blade I had no idea you were into younger mares!" the voice cackled with amusement and hostility.

Blade didn't say a word he just sat there with a growing look of animosity on his face. Any more insults and I was sure he would turn on whoever was patronizing him. I had to step in...no matter what would happen.

"Ahm sixteen and a half. Ah have no idea what yer talking about!" I snorted in my own frustration. I had just told a blatant lie but hey...I was helping Blade out. Like he had done for me.

"Oh...is that so? I could have easily mistaken you for a five year old. Blade, I wonder how Kick would feel if she found out you were trying to escort toddlers." he said with a snort. I wanted to buck him straight in the muzzle for that comment but Blade was already on his hooves.

"You leave her out of this. You just want to get back with my sister because she dumped your sorry ass. I don't blame her, you mangy, featherbrained, wuss." Blade snarled. I stood up to get a look at the pony who had just been insulting us.

He was a white pegasus with stunning crimson eyes that seemed to glue me to the floorboards. His mane was a slick backed navy blue color with multiple highlights of turquoise and periwinkle. I found myself virtually blushing at his strong physique and confident body posture with the added accompaniment of a bomber jacket and black aviator shades. He was much taller than me and about a few inches taller than Blade which made him seem quite overbearing. He had to be almost eighteen, or maybe even twenty.

"Well, it looks like your fillyfriend has the hots for Thunder Flare, huh? I couldn't imagine why she wouldn't. Then again, I remember making your sister scream my name on a nightly basis so...I guess she could be jealous." he smirked. Blade stepped in front of me with his magic flaring in anger.

"I SAID LEAVE HER OUT OF THIS!" he thundered, forming his magic into a breathtaking sword I found myself gaping at. "NOW GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE I CUT YOU IN TWO!"

Thunder Flare looked at Blade, then the sword, and then at me. His gaze seemed to linger on mine before he gave a wink, then puckered his lips and made a kissing sound. I found myself blushing even though I really didn't want to, but nopony had ever done that to me before.

With that, he spread his large, snow white wings and took off into the evening air, leaving me and a panting Blade standing there. The sword that he had assembled disappeared in a flash and it's wielder collapsed to the ground in a groaning heap.

"Blade? Are you okay!?" I squeaked as I helped him up from the floor. He gave a small nod and a wince before falling back to the ground. I put a hoof on his shoulder to see if it would help calm him down but he began to start shaking.

"I just burnt out my magic creating that sword. It hurts like fricking hell." Blade grimaced while writhing in agony. I swallowed hard and tried to calm him down but he squirmed and cursed until the pain seemed to subside. A second later, he stood up and huffed for air before seeming to calm himself down.

"Kickstar is going to kill me when she finds out I let Thunder snub me. I'm sorry you had to see all that, it's just I hate it when he insults or tries to woo mares right in front of me. Especially my friends or my sister." he grunted in discomfort. I found myself blushing at the word 'friend'. Did he actually see me as a friend.

"It's okay." I sighed, letting my puffy bangs fall in my eyes. Today was a hectic day...and I still hadn't gotten to the farm yet! A panic started to build inside me and Blade took notice immediately.

"Is something wrong Applebloom?" he queried. I shook my head but he already seemed to know something was off. "Applebloom, just tell me what's wrong."

"Ah need ta get home but ah don't know the way there." I whimpered in shame, but Blade seemed to light up. He motioned for me to walk with him towards the direction we had originally came from.

"I have a good map at my house. All you need to tell me is what it's called and I'll be able to find it! You might even meet my sister while you're there." He grinned excitedly, almost as if he wanted to take me home in the first place. Oh...NOT THINKING ABOUT IT! Blade was my friend and he'd already established that.

* * * *

"C'mon in." Blade said with a small smile as he unlocked the door and motioned me inside. The little shop was dark and I heard him shuffle around next to me for a few awkward moments. At one point, I felt him brush up against me.

"Heh...sorry. I just can't find the switch without my magic." he babbled in embarrsasment. I swallowed and slowy began to search the wall for a light switch or something we could see with. I could hear him stumbling around and grumbling profanities under his breath as he tripped over some items.

"Hey. I think I got it." he whooped in the dark before I heard him touch something. Nothing happened and he gave a groan of frustration.

"Forget it! Let's get out of here so we can get upstairs and get a lantern or a candle." he snorted with disgust. The room went quiet as we both realized we forgot where the door was.

"Are you fricking kidding me?! That's it. I'm using my magic!" he muttered angrily before I heard his grunts of effort. I contemplated telling him how bad that could be for his health but his horn actually started to glow. It was barely any light but it illuminated his face...which was mere inches from my own.

He had his eyes squeezed shut as he continued to focus on his horn. He took a step forward, obviously not knowing I was standing in front of him. I gulped as his muzzle bumped my own, causing his green eyes to flutter open in the shock of touching me.

Neither one of us said a word as we just stood there, locked in complete embarrassment. I could feel my cheeks burning as I saw his own turning red. My mouth opened to say something but closed as I noticed his eyes trace my lips. We both could have taken a step back but we didn't, and continued to just stand there.

I heard Blade gulp as his horn started to flicker and give out. He closed his eyes and opened the door with his weak magic before giving a sigh of relief.

"I think it's time to get out of here."

* * * *

Awkward, uncomfortable, and embarrassed didn't come close to describe how I felt about what had happened in the shop. I knew I should have kept a distance away from him at that point but he seemed just as embarrassed as me. Did he actually think about kis- NOT THINKING ABOUT IT!

"I-it's this way. Up the st-stairs." Blade stammered as he opened a small back door to the shop, located in the alley way. I swallowed as I realized it was an extremely dark and narrow staircase that I really didn't want to go up.

"I can go up first, if you want?" he countered, obviously seeing how I felt about it.

"Nah. Ah can do it." I snorted in frustration. Why did everypony think I was so defenseless and weak? I took the stairs with relative ease before the darkness started to get to me. I jumped as I felt something brush up against my hind leg.

"Hey...relax. It's just me. There's a door in front of you that I need to unlock." he murmured quietly before brushing up against me to get to the door. A second later the door swung open and a smug looking Blade stood next to me. I rolled my eyes and entered the apartment like room.

"This is it. My humble abode. Well...I share it with my sister so I guess it's ours." he said with a smile. Surprisingly enough the place was lit by a small lantern in the center of the room. Blade trotted up to it and snatched a piece of paper attached to it.

"Blade,

Carpenter gave me a whole saddlebag full of messages to deliver to Dodge Junction so I won't be home until tomorrow evening. Puzzlemint gave me a couple apple pies that weren't selling at the bakery today, so you can have them. They're on the counter and I hope you enjoy the special crust I took all day making. Don't get into any mischief while I'm gone or I will destroy you when I get back. I love you, Blade.

-Kickstar

P.S. I saw you running off with that mare. You'd better not!"

"Well. That certainly sounds like Kickstar to me." Blade gave a small smile and a sigh as he crumpled up the note and threw it in the trash bin. I found myself blushing at the assumption made by his sister. I would never do something lik-NOT THINKING ABOUT IT!

"We should probably be getting you that map now."