• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 605 Views, 38 Comments

Guiding Him Down a New Path - Sai-guy



We want our little colt to surpass anything we could accomplish; that’s why we named him Rising. But how can he if he still hasn’t gotten his cutie mark?

  • ...
0
 38
 605

Comes Great Responsibility

We laid Rising in bed and ate supper in his room. Neither of us could bring ourselves to leave him for too long. I sat pressed up to Squall, relishing her closeness. I welcomed every feather of hers against my side, each of her sighs a soft reminder that I was home.

For a couple hours, we barely moved, both of us listening for a change in our son’s breathing as the sun set.

A knock at the door jolted us from our half-doze.

I looked to Squall. “Were you expecting anypony?”

A hoof rapped on our front door twice more in quick succession.

She shook her head, and I shrugged then stood. Heading downstairs, I thought it might be one of my crew who wondered if everything was okay. As I opened the door, I found a stranger.

The mare at the door came from Canterlot. For one, she actually wore clothes — a crisp, white vest — and a sky chariot was parked at the end of the street, gleaming in the moonlight.

“Hello?” Had she come from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns too?

“Hello, mister Star, I’m quite sorry to disturb you at such a late hour, but I had classes throughout the day, and I lack the transportation abilities of my coworkers. Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Soothing Balm, the head professor of Restauraremancy at CSGU.”

She hadn’t led with her order — I took a liking to her immediately. And she seemed to already know who we were. “Yes, come in. What brings you here so late? We’ve already been contacted by four other professors.”

“Yes, but I make it a matter of professional pride to visit all the prospective students who get in through magic overloads.” She smiled as she walked in. “So let’s see Rising. Maybe I can help him.”

I nodded, and we headed up the stairs and into Rising’s room. She inclined her head to my wife as she entered. “Good evening, Missis Line. Ah, and there’s the colt of the hour,” she said, looking over to Rising, who lay on his bed under the window, bathed in moonlight.

“Squall, this is Soothing Balm. She teaches healing magic, and she’d like to see about helping.”

“Oh, indeed I would. Your son seems to have done a number on himself. Tell me — did his eyes go white?” she asked, looking at him from a few different angles.

“Well, yes, they did,” Squall said. “You can tell that just by looking at him?”

Soothing looked at me and snorted lightly. “Pretty much any unicorn could. But for a more complete explanation, given the extent of the damage and how long it’s been since he sustained it, I can backtrack to approximately how much magic he used.”

“Wait, ‘damage’? I thought he was just tired! Is he going to be okay?” By the end of the outburst, Squall had pressed her muzzle right up to Soothing’s face.

She put a hoof up. “Don’t worry, Missis Line. This is a perfectly normal part of growing up for a powerful unicorn, which your son is. You mistook magical overload for magical exhaustion. Don’t feel bad; it’s a common enough mistake even among unicorns. Now, I could go on for a semester about the two, but suffice it to say that though Rising must have felt the need to full-cast a Gravitasmancy spell, he lacked the requisite training to do so in a way that minimizes the shock of severing one’s leylines.”

“Besides, Squall,” I said, “don’t you think I’d have brought him to the hospital if it had been dangerous?”

She put a hoof on Rising’s side. “Of course, right. I was just worried, you know?”

“A healthy respect for powerful magic is exactly what we like to see at CSGU. Hopefully your son has it like you do, Squall. May I call you Squall?”

My wife smiled, her teeth shining in the half-dark. “Absolutely, Soothing! Everypony does.” She looked over to Rising. “But you said you could help him…”

“Of course. I can only do a couple things since this is pretty much the magic equivalent of pulling a muscle, but they ought to help a bit. Not that I couldn’t repair that through magic, but—” She shook her head. “Ugh, I can’t explain this all in one night. There’s a reason restoration classes take seven years after choosing to specialize in them.”

She spread out some of her leylines towards Rising, and I noticed that they felt soothing, like her namesake. When they reached him, they slowed and began weaving through his. I recalled that restoring leylines were some of the few that couldn’t pass through others. My favourite discipline, illusion, passed through everything. Others, like telekinesis, could be one or the other but never both at once.

Her leylines sliced through the tattered ends of my son’s then did what I assumed was the magical analogue of cauterizing a wound. Soothing disentangled her magic from Rising’s, and the glow faded from her horn.

“Thank you,” I said. “That was very kind.”

She smiled. “Oh, I do try. Now, that’s pretty much the extent of what I can treat from a cause perspective, but I can do something to alleviate the symptoms he’ll feel when he wakes up. Just give me a minute.”

Squall looked back and forth between us. “A little help for the one without a horn? What’d you do?”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Soothing said. “My bedside manner is a little lacking, being out of the field for so long and surrounded by other unicorns most of the time. When a unicorn full-casts, he or she needs to cut ties with his or her leylines. Even for a unicorn, though, it’s not a normal thing to do, and it usually takes a bit of training to get it right. Rising, here, didn’t so much cut his leylines as… Hm, I’m trying to think of a good analogy you would get. Would you happen to know what rope is like when it snaps?”

Squall grimaced. “That’s what caused this, actually.”

“Oh, sorry… That wasn’t in the report,” she said, wincing.

Then, her horn began glowing again. I felt a different type of magic work its way into whatever spell she was preparing. Two disciplines in the same spell? I really wished I could do that.

“As I was saying, cutting the leylines cleanly is vital. In fact, that’s part of what I’m going to do right now for you when I make a pain-reducing elixir.”

Two of her leylines floated out from her horn, and she worked their ends into a knot. As a sailor, I could appreciate its complexity. I sure wouldn’t want to try replicating it with ropes. The restoration magic ended up inside the other type — creation magic, I realized. Soothing pushed a pulse of energy down them, making her leylines swell. They were entwined in such a way that, as the wave filled them, their increased size pinched the tips off, and the spell completed.

A crystalline vial materialized in the air, and I caught it as Soothing shook her head and exhaled hard. “Multi-school full-casts always take a lot out of me. Can I have a moment to catch my breath?”

“By all means! You could even stay the night if you want!”

Laughing internally, I rolled my eyes. Typical Squall.

“No, I wouldn’t want to impose, and I have classes I need to teach tomorrow… in the afternoon, thank Twilight. Besides, I have a chariot waiting for me.”

Her reference to our newest princess seemed a bit odd; she was more often called on by the younger crowd, but Soothing was clearly at least my age, maybe as old as forty. I supposed it must be a Canterlot thing.

“Well, can I at least get you something? A drink, coffee maybe?” Squall asked.

“Yes, thanks,” Soothing said.

As Squall left to put the water on, I went back to staring at the vial in my grip.

Soothing sighed. “I never liked this part of the job, but, sir… I evaluated your son’s order and yours. It’s honestly reflexive for me since keeping track of students’ orders is part of my job.”

She trailed off, and I looked up from her conjured medicine. “And…?”

“You appear to be a fifth-order unicorn —” I nodded “— as for Rising, here… He’s at least halfway to sixth, given that he full-cast a Gravitasmancy spell. With a more thorough evaluation of his leyline count, I might find that he already makes sixth. In a year, with or without our guidance, he’ll be the one teaching you.”

My son showing me the ropes? My stomach churned. All unicorns’ magic grew through their lifetime, so parents typically outstripped their children for all their life. Granted, magical skills and strength grew at different rates, but Rising definitely wasn’t supposed to pass me just as he hit puberty.

“If it makes you feel better, this is a very common situation for the parents of our students. Magical aptitude strikes semi-randomly. But I did look through your family history — the Mages’ Guild keeps records of these sorts of things — and if you’re worried, you don’t need to be. Our school is dedicated to guiding the students to be model citizens.”

I felt my ears turn back. She could only have meant one pony with a comment like that. It seemed like this situation wanted to tear open every old wound I had even as it added new ones. I cleared my throat and said, “That is very reassuring. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

We fell into silence. As I listened to the water come to a boil, it occurred to me how odd it was to be in the same dark room as this mare. I considered turning on a light, which surely wouldn’t wake Rising, when Soothing spoke again.

“I wish I had this, you know.” She gestured vaguely. “Medical school, a practice, then becoming a professor… I never found time for a family of my own. And look at me now, almost too old to change that, and I’m not even trying.” She fell silent for a moment, staring at my son. Without turning, she said, “If I have any advice to give, make sure your colt doesn’t turn out like me. Making ninth by forty-three wasn’t worth it.”

I nodded. If that was part of the sales pitch, it was a strange one. At the same time, it was probably the best, too, at least in my eyes. It made the choice seem real in that it had dangers of its own. He wouldn’t have to worry about being dashed to pieces on submerged rocks, but societal dangers were no less real and often far harder to avoid.

“Sorry, I can get a touch melancholy at night. Ah, but there’s the coffee.” She drank from the mug Squall brought in then sighed again. “Thank you for your hospitality at this time of night.” She laughed. “Luna would approve, I think.”

She nursed her mug awhile before speaking again. “I’m looking forward to seeing your son in my classes. Memorization is key, but creativity is also vital, as my discipline deals less in power and more in precision.

She looked into her mug and took another sip. “It is very unlike Necromancy in that respect,” she added — almost as an afterthought.

Almost. I twisted a hoof, grinding it against the floor, and let out a breath slowly.

But no, she definitely had the unfortunate Canterlot tendency of being indirect. Couldn’t somepony just talk about the big issues without dancing around them? I hoped Rising didn’t pick that habit up too.

And then I realized I’d already decided.

I cleared my throat. “Yes, that’s very good, Professor Balm. But it’s late, and today has been trying — to say the least. If you have something to say, just say it.”

She sighed and set the mug, which sounded empty, on Rising’s nightstand. “Very well. As his parents, I know you don’t want to hear this, and I know that it’s unfair, but your family history is…”

If she refused to make her point, I would do it for her. “Black,” I said.

“Now hold on just a minute there! My little Star could never be like that stallion. He’s sweet and kind and good!”

I heard the strain in my wife’s voice as she kept herself from yelling.

“Be that as it may, the Guild, and thus the school, keeps records. If a strong pegasus such as yourself pulled together a storm and drowned an earth pony town, it would be a tragedy. But when a unicorn does something similar, it’s usually much more eye-catching and memorable. You must have experienced this for yourselves.”

Squall looked at me, probably thinking about when we’d first really met. My grandfather’s shadow had definitely changed things then, and it still did to some degree.

“The school will place certain limits on what he can study.”

My wife moved to sit pointedly by my side and said, “Thank you, but I don’t think that will be necessary. We can manage our son.”

Soothing rubbed her temples with her forehooves. “Look, I’m truly sorry about this. I don’t for a second think that an ancestor’s actions are anything to judge a pony by, but the Guild is old, and it has rules, and it’s an integral part of the school. We have to listen to them or else.”

I ground my teeth. They had stupid rules and prejudices, but she had just carried the message, apologetically at that.

She put a hoof up and got both of our attention. “Alright, we’re all tired, I still need to get back to Canterlot, and you two have a lot to talk about after all this. Why don’t we end this while we’re still on good terms, and hopefully we can all have a good laugh about this if I see you for a parent-teacher conference eventually,” she said and offered us a smile.

We nodded. My blood pressure must have already jumped up, so it was definitely for the best.

Squall sighed, which turned into a yawn, and covered her mouth with a forehoof. Once she lowered it, she said, “Soothing, I’m sorry for my tone. Forgive me?”

I joined my wife in apologizing.

Soothing waved a forehoof. “You’re both under a lot of stress, what with having significant life events stacking on each other. It’s… understandable. And thanks again for your hospitality,” she said, picking up her mug.

We walked with her down to the door, and as we stepped outside, she opened one of her vest’s pockets and pressed an envelope into my hoof. “This is for Rising when he wakes.”

“I’ll make sure he gets it,” I said.

Then we wished her goodnight and watched her chariot fly off. I got the strangest feeling of déjà vu as we did… but it came from behind me, back in the kitchen.

A moment later, a burst of magic emanated from what I felt pretty sure was right next to the sink.

Something from hours ago came back to me, and I turned. “It couldn’t be him, could it?”

“Who, dear? What’re you talking about?” Squall asked, cocking her head at me.

“Me to both!”

Stop Watch walked out of our kitchen and down our hall. He sipped a glass of water as he got to us. “What? Time travel is thirsty work. And here’s your application for your son.”

Squall stared at him, brow furrowed, mouth slightly open.

He gave me a sheaf of papers, which I took with my magic. “Couldn’t you have just sent these in the mail? And isn’t this breaking and entering?”

“Yes and no. Your wife so kindly invited me in when I asked for a drink a few w—”

“You! That’s why you look so familiar! He showed up a few days after you cast off and left a minute later. I never even thought to mention it.”

I snorted. Typical of Squall to let some thirsty, old pony in for a drink.

Stop Watch threw me a lazy salute. “And now, I awhen!”

His spell swallowed him up, and he disappeared in a flash. That left me holding everything we needed to get our son into the most prestigious school in the country. Looking at it, I shook my head and let out a breath.

Giving me a half-smile, Squall put a wing over me, and we walked up to our room. Together, we climbed into bed, and we cuddled nose to nose, the application forms and letter lying — most certainly not forgotten — on the kitchen table.

“Guiding, are you okay?” she asked, tracing a hoof over my shoulder.

I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of my wife’s breathing, felt it play across my face. It soothed me as I thought of how to put words to what I felt. For all of my adult life, I’d known what I wanted for myself and my family. With my name and my cutie mark, that was who I was supposed to be.

This situation was only different in one way; I knew what I had to do, but it would change everything.

“Squall… we have to send him.”

She kissed my forehead. “I know, dear. You didn’t answer my question.”

“Well, how is it going to make you feel, not having Rising around?”

I felt her head turn away. Her breath no longer tickled my face. This time, she remained silent for a while.

“I’m not ready for it. I’m not ready at all, Guiding. We were supposed to have years before he left, but now…” Her voice caught. A moment later, her cheek settled on my neck. “Still haven’t said how you feel.”

I stroked her mane and rested my head between her ears. “I’ve always thought he would take after me. He showed a lot of promise in the logistics side of the business, you know.” I nuzzled her ears for a moment. “When has power been good in my family? But anypony can see that’s his calling. I can’t help him any more. He needs that school more than we need him…”

She lay quietly for so long after that I thought she had fallen asleep. Then she stirred and whispered, “I don’t think I can stand how empty the house will be.”

“Come with me,” I said. “I can always use another good pair of wings on the Dancing Leaf, and yours are the best I know.” I ran my hooves over them. I imagine she blushed at my compliment and touch.

“Guiding… you know I’d go anywhere with you.” She sighed. “It’s just… We have so little time — a couple months and the summer — then he’s gone.”

He wouldn’t be here whenever I returned. He wouldn’t be here with me, asking questions incessantly throughout the day. He wouldn’t be here, always trying to make me proud and always succeeding.

He’d be hundreds of miles away, in another city. It seemed like it might as well be another world.

I kissed Squall on the cheek and pulled back from her embrace.

She laughed softly in the darkness, and I could hear the smile in her voice as she said, “You’re going to get him, aren’t you, you big mush?”

“Mmm, guilty as charged.”

A minute later, I placed my son next to my wife and lay down beside him. Squall covered both of us with a wing, holding us tightly. Deep down, I knew this was the last time our family would be like this. The next day would change everything.

I wasn’t ashamed to cry myself to sleep.

Author's Note:

Thanks to my editor, Cynewulf.