• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 1,573 Views, 18 Comments

A Change of Heart - LolianTriforce



Sombra, the cold, dark, and heartless king of the Crystal Empire, has returned, but when he makes a new friend, is he really all that heartless?

  • ...
4
 18
 1,573

Chapter 8

Sombra watched as Ornate walked into the salon. He wished he could have her by his side, but he knew it would attract attention. He quickly walked down the street towards the dress shop they had gone to earlier that week.

As he entered, he noticed some of the dresses had been purchased. With the missing dresses, the store almost seemed empty. He walked closer to the back of the store. Immediately, he heard somepony clear their throat. He turned his head to see the unicorn from before.

“So,” she began. “What are you here for?”

“I was wondering,” he started, “if you sold tuxedos?”

She nodded and gestured to him to follow her to the back. As he followed her, she broke the silence.

“Where’s that zebra of yours?” She asked.

“She’s at the salon,” He answered. “She is getting ready for the Gala.”

“Isn’t that strange? They always have the Gala at Canterlot, but this year they are having it here, at the Crystal Empire. I can’t even imagine how many ponies living in Canterlot are furious about the place change!”

She walked over to a rack of tuxedos and pulled out a couple for him to try. He walked into the dressing room and began to try them on. After trying on a few tuxedos, Sombra walked out of the dressing room and handed the unicorn the tuxedo.

They walked back to the front of the store and Sombra paid for the tuxedo. As the unicorn bagged the tux, she looked towards the front window of the store.

“Is that Princess Luna?” She wondered aloud.

Sombra took the bag and quickly walked outside. He pulled his hood up and looked around. The streets were crowded and busy for that time of day. He looked around, but did not see Princess Luna anywhere. He shrugged the thought off and walked back to the hotel.

***

Ornate sat down in a chair at the salon and began to relax. She waited for a salon pony to come and do her hair. While she waited, she picked up a magazine and began to read.

“Hey,” she heard someone whisper.

Ornate looked up and glanced at the pony beside her. It was none other than Princess Luna. She was wearing a dark blue robe and was reading the newspaper; at least, it looked like she was.

Luna glanced at her from behind her newspaper and nodded. Then, Ornate experienced something she had never felt before. She could hear Luna talk to her with telepathy.

"Listen," Luna began. "My sister, Princess Celestia has found out about Sombra's escape."

Ornate's eyes widened in shock. She was about to object, but she was interrupted.

"Do not be alarmed," Luna continued, "I will explain later. For now, I want you to go to the Gala without being seen. I've managed to make this Gala a masquerade. Outside, there is a black bag under the spa window. It contains two masks. I ask that you and Sombra wear them to the Gala. And just to be safe, I have prepared two random names for you to assume at the Gala."

Ornate nodded at Luna's orders. Just then, Twilight Sparkle and Princess Cadence walked into the spa. Luna quickly pulled the newspaper up and walked to a different seat. Ornate was taken to the back room where an attendant prepared her for her makeover.

Cadence and Twilight sat next to Luna in her new seat.

"You're here early," Twilight remarked.

"Yeah," Cadence chimed in. "I thought you were going to walk with us."

"Oh," Luna began, "Well, I was already in town and thought I might as well just walk in and wait. Sorry if I worried you."

Twilight and Cadence accepted the apology and sat down next to her to wait for their turn.

***

Ornate had just walked out of the spa and had picked up the bag Luna had left her. She looked at the masks, wondering about what kind of dress might fit her mask. She knew she would have to go back to the dress shop.

She quickly trotted down to the small shop and walked inside. She was greeted by a big smile from the velvet unicorn. It wasn’t long before the smile became a smug one.

“So,” she began, “You're back. Your boyfriend was in here earlier.”

Ornate blushed like last time, but not as much. She glanced at the unicorn.

“We’re not dating,” She answered.

“Well, in that case, what can I do for you?”

“I need a dress, something to go with this mask.”

Ornate opened the sack and showed the unicorn. She stared at the mask, thinking and contemplating the appropriate dress to match. She pulled out a catalog and began flipping through. It wasn’t long before she found what she was looking for.

“Madame,” She began, “Miss Tailored Velvet believes she has found something for you.”

The unicorn whisked her to the back and grabbed a dress wrapped in white plastic, making Ornate curious about what it looked like. The unicorn shoved her into a changing stall and handed her the dress.

“So,” Ornate said as she started changing, “You’re name is Velvet?”

“Yes,” she answered. “That’s what my friends call me. You may call me that as well.”

Ornate finished and walked out. The unicorn gasped and shoved her back into the stall.

“It looks marvelous! Quickly change out of it and I’ll ring it up at the front!”

Ornate changed out of the dress and handed it to her. Velvet quickly wrapped it back up and ran to the front. Ornate quickly followed behind her.

Ornate quickly paid for the dress. Velvet put the dress in a bag and handed it to her.

“Thank you, Velvet.”

“You’re welcome, darling. Be sure to come back whenever you want.”

Ornate ran out the door and back to the hotel.

***

Celestia paced the floor in her bedroom. The Gala was in only a few hours. She wondered how it would all go. She only hoped that they would find Sombra quickly.

Just then, Twilight ran into her room.

“Celestia,” She said happily.

“What is it, Twilight?”

“Everything is ready.”

“Good. Tell the others to get themselves ready. Tonight is going to be a long one.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the lateness. I'll work on chapter 9 and hope that I have enough inspiration to get it done as soon as possible.