• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 1,573 Views, 18 Comments

A Change of Heart - LolianTriforce



Sombra, the cold, dark, and heartless king of the Crystal Empire, has returned, but when he makes a new friend, is he really all that heartless?

  • ...
4
 18
 1,573

Chapter 5

Luna’s spell finally began to wear off. Sombra found himself in a small cell in the Crystal Castle. His four hooves were all chained to the floor. He tried to move, but found the chains only allowed him to pick his hooves up.
The door to the cell opened, allowing Princess Celestia to walk in. She closed the door and began to circle him. She looked angry.

“King Sombra, I presume,” She snapped. “You’ve come back to the Crystal Empire.”

He growled and pulled at the chains.

“What do you want from me?” He asked.

“We know you’re planning revenge on the Empire, Sombra!”

“I’m not planning anything!”

Celestia stuck her head up.

“Fine. If you won’t tell us, then we’ll leave you here to think about your plans.”

She quickly walked out of the room and slammed the door behind her. Sombra began to pull at the chains. Try as he might, his attempts were in vain. He sat on the floor and began to think about Ornate. He knew she would be worrying about him and might even try to find him. Those thoughts began to make tears form in his eyes.

As Celestia walked away from Sombra’s cell, Luna walked up to her with a concerned look.

“Sister,” Luna began, “Maybe he has reformed. Not everyone can stay bad. I mean, look at Discord. He has reformed, for better or for worse.”

“Luna,” Celestia said a bit annoyed, “Sombra was pure evil. He will always stay evil.”

Celestia walked out of sight. Luna shook her head and walked back into the cell. She was quiet enough that she didn’t alert him. What she found shocked her. Sombra was lying on the floor. His back was facing her, but she could tell he was crying. She could hear his quiet sobs. She began to feel bad for him.

“Excuse me,” Luna quietly interrupted.

Sombra quickly sat up and wiped his eyes and glanced at her.

“What do you want?” He asked quietly.

“I just wanted to know… Why were you crying?”

Sombra’s face became red.

“Well,” he started, “I-I guess I just started to feel lonely.”

“Lonely? Why would the King of Shadows be lonely?”

“It’s a long story.”

“I’m not rushed.”

***

“Wow,” Luna gasped. “I never knew that someone who used to be so dark and heartless could actually love someone.”
Sombra looked at her with an annoyed look. She immediately felt bad about her comment.

“Sorry, I meant,” she started to apologize.

“It is fine,” he interrupted. “I know you didn’t mean to be harsh. I only wish to see her again.”

Luna stood up and pointed her horn towards the chains on his hooves. With a flash, all the chains fell off. He smiled at her and ran around the room a little to stretch. Luna then handed him a black cloak.

“Put this on,” she commanded. “I will sneak you out, but you must hide yourself.”

Sombra nodded as he put the cloak on. As soon as he pulled his hood over his head, Luna opened the door and began to walk out with him. They walked down the hall, side by side. Sombra noticed all the guards standing on either side of them. He began to panic a little, but Luna glanced at him with a reassuring look. He began to calm down and continued to follow her.

As soon as they were out of the castle, Luna stopped him.

“This is as far as I go,” she spoke quietly. “You must go back to the hotel and wait until the night falls. Once it does, you may spend time with Ornate.”

“Thank you, Princess Luna,” Sombra whispered, bowing slightly.

“Remember, stay under the shade of night.”

Luna immediately flew off, leaving him by himself. With that, Sombra rushed to the hotel.

***

Ornate sat on her bed with her cloak still on. It had been hours since Sombra had told her to stay in her room. She began to worry about him. She wondered if he had been attacked, or maybe even kidnapped. All she could do was worry.

As she stood up from her bed, there was a knock on the door. She ran to the door and opened it. There standing in front of the door with a bouquet of daisies, was Sombra. He slightly smiled at her with a sincere look.

“Sorry, I’m late,” he began to apologize.

He was interrupted when Ornate tackled him to the ground. She hugged him tight and gently rubbed her head against his chest.

“I-I missed you, so much,” she whispered.

Sombra blushed and hugged her back. He welcomed her embrace and felt his chest pound harder than before.

“Maybe,” he thought to himself, “Princess Luna was right. Maybe I am experiencing love.”

He knew that love wasn’t anything a King of Shadows would be interested in, but if it would allow him to spend the rest of his life with Ornate, he would be more than happy to be in love.

Sombra quickly stood up, helping Ornate up as well.

“Come on,” he began. “Let’s go inside.”