• Published 1st Jul 2014
  • 1,845 Views, 26 Comments

First Impressions are Misleading - Luyten



Changelings. Black, insect-like creatures with holes in their hooves who steal love. Those were the only changelings Equestria had seen, surely there were others less...barbaric?

  • ...
2
 26
 1,845

Chapter Two: A Small Misunderstanding

Author's Note:

Wow! Would you look at that! An update!
Odyssey: Why do you seem so surprised?
Me: I'll explain everything later bye.
Odyssey: WAIT! YOU FORGOT T-
Me: wonder what we was freaking out about...anyways, yes. As you know, July 4th is tommorow. And I'm going to Houston Coffee and Cars Saturday morning.

BE PREPARED FOR (HOPEFULLY NOT) BORING POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS

The next morning, the changeling woke to a very alarming sight: guards practically filled the entire room! One of them stepped forward: a white unicorn with a blue mane, in alternating stripes of light and dark. The guard in question didn't look very happy with the changeling.

Then, the changeling heard a familiar voice shouting for the guards to move out of the way. After a few minutes of this, she huffed and dissapeared around a corner.

"What changeling would have the nerve to come to Canterlot right now! Albeit an odd looking changeling, but a changeling nonetheless!" He exclaimed.

"Sir, I am in Canterlot to discuss diplomatic negotiations with your two rulers. I have no intention of harming any ponies." The changeling said.

"I am under strict orders to capture any changelings within Canterlot's city limits."

"I understand you are Captain of the Guard, correct? The only ponies who could give you orders would be the two princesses, and I would think they would at least tell you that there was a diplomat coming!" The Captain seemed at a loss for words.

"I'll be back, changeling." He said, going out the door. The small room gradually cleared of guards and the ba pony trotted in a few moments later, looking relieved.

"We can go if you want, the hospital's said you're in a healthier state now." She said, and as if on cue, a nurse poked her heard through the door and repeated the news.

Before she could leave, the changeling called her back and asked for them to tell the Guards that Aurora and him would be at the Royal castle. She nodded and placed a note on the pillow. Odyssey quickly grabbed his notebook and trotted out behind the bat pony, shielding his eyes from the bright sunlight.

"To the castle?" She asked.

"To the castle, Miss Nightshade." Aurora laughed to herself before asking why he was speaking so formally.

"This is a formal situation, is it not? Changelings are already looked upon in a bad light, and being informal will only worsen our image." She shrugged, and continued on.

As they made their way to the castle, it seemed more and more ponies were 'accidentally' shoving the changeling aside, expecting a reaction. But none came, the changeling just picked himself up and kept going without looking back.

The wooden doors of the castle were less than twenty feet away when a voice shouted for him to stop. Odyssey sighed and turned to face whoever called for him; it was the Captain.

"A diplomat's presence has been confirmed by the Princess's, and they said he could be easily recognized. I'm assuming that would mean you?" The Captain said.

Odyssey nodded,"Sir, I would say I would be the most visible in a crowd, would you? Not many ponies have bright orange eyes and a mane to match." The Captain grunted, and the changeling continued.

"I'm also having difficulty believing that your Princesses would withhold the information the the diplomat is a changeling. That seems like it would be a major factor in recognizing the diplomat." The Captain lowered his eyes and said nothing for a few minutes.

"Good day to you, Captain." Odyssey said as he made his way back towards the castle's doors. Just as Aurora and Odyssey were about to open the door themselves, they were wrapped in a yellow telekinetic field and opened, revealing both Princesses.

Immediately, all the ponies in the vicinity bowed, and as for the changeling, he bowed his head as low as he could.

"You may rise." the Princess said. The ponies resumed their normal days. Odyssey and his companion made their way towards the Princesses.

"Ah, just the pony- changeling we were looking for! Please, follow us." Princess Celestia said, and then to Aurora.

"And who is this?"

"Aurora is a friend, and if she hadn't accompanied me, I wouldn't be here right now." Odyssey explained.

"May I ask why?"

"I will explain that story when we are in privacy, if you do not mind, Princesses." The changeling said. They nodded and stepped into the main hall. There were stained glass windows depicting various scenes in history: Discord, Nightmare Moon, King Sombra, the Elements of Harmony.

As the changeling returned his gaze to what was in front of him, he found that all three of the ponies surrounding were looking at him in slight amusement. Odyssey scuffed one of his hooves on the tiled floor.

"Princesses, will anypony else be present for our discussion?" He asked.

"I'm glad you asked, our advisors will be joining us in..." Princess Celestia paused and looked up into the sun,"about five minutes." The three ponies and one changeling exited the large hall and entered a circular room with a table in the center and fifteen-odd chairs around it. Odyssey could only assume this is where they would be talking.

A few minutes later, his suspicions were confirmed as an entourage of buissnes ponies trotted into the room, and immediately took the chairs furthest away from the changeling. Another few minutes and all the seats were filled and the talking began.

Princess Luna cleared her throat and all the small talk stopped.

"My sister and I have called you here to discuss a peaceful relationship with Queen Archae's hive. Her diplomat is seated opposite of me, and I would hope there is no bias on these descions due to the recent events regarding the wedding." They nodded.

"Good, now I'd like to properly introduce Odyssey, our changeling ambassador." There was a smattering of polite clapping, but nothing more. The ponies stared at the changeling expectantly, and he coughed, and opened his notebook to the eighth page.

"As all of you know, I am a diplomat here in Canterlot to discuss trade and whatnot from my hive to Canterlot, and this is Queen Archae." He flipped the notebook around and spun it slowly around the table, and before anypony could pipe up, Odyssey explained that the two changelings were casting a very advanced form of a teleportation spell. Instead of a instantaneous flash, both the ends were held open, allowing communication across long distances.

"Now, to business!"