• Published 1st Jul 2014
  • 299 Views, 15 Comments

Without a Scope - mathwiz617



Far Sight has a vision disorder, no cutie mark, and was just drafted into the royal guard.

  • ...
3
 15
 299

Chapter 5

The next few months passed rather routinely. Most days had a run, followed by breakfast. Then came training, dinner, and bed. The beginning of each week was a day of relaxation. Every once in a while, Princess Luna would give out special assignments. Far Sight’s assignments were normally observation, typically in the woods around his hometown. He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to be looking for, but nothing seemed odd.

That is, until one night. Luna had visited him in his dream that night, giving him a specific location in the woods. When he woke, he had been surprised to find his friends standing around him.

“I suppose the princess visited your dream, too?” Windy asked. Far nodded. “Well, a train’s supposed to be waiting for us. Let’s get going.”

Day broke before the group arrived in Hollow Shades. The six were greeted by Mighty Impact as they stepped off the train.

“So, another trip through the woods, Far?” the captain asked. “Who’s the team?” After introductions were through, he added, “Well, it’s nice to meet you all. I’ll make sure there’s enough space for you to stay the night, if needed.”

“Thanks, Captain,” Far said. “Has anything strange been spotted in the woods? Probably about half a mile east of the town gates?”

“No, nothing ‘strange’. Then again, the guard doesn’t normally go that far out.”

Far nodded. He had suspected that was the case. Captain Impact wished them good luck, and they departed through the eastern gate. It wasn’t long before they came to the spot Luna had told them about the previous night.

“Well, that’s different,” Blink said. “I guess that’s what we’re looking for.”

There was a large rift in the middle of a clearing. Through it, the group could see… well, it was hard to say. There was more forest, but it was relatively dull. It was as if they were staring into another world.

Suddenly, a voice came from the other side. “Hey, Hank, are you seeing this?” it asked.

“I’m seeing, but I’m not believing,” another voice, probably Hank, answered. “What do you think it is, Bill?”

The six ponies scattered as two large ape-like creatures stepped through the rift.

“I don’t think we’re in Kentucky anymore,” Bill said, looking around. “It’s like, ah heck, I don’t even know. I’m not drunk, am I?”

“Only if I am too.” They turned, raising something in their paws as Obsidian accidentally stepped on a twig, snapping it. “Hey, I heard that! Come on out!”

As Obsidian stepped out from behind a nearby tree, the two creatures visibly relaxed. “It’s just a horse, Hank,” Bill said. “Came this close to giving me a heart attack, though.”

“Something strange about it, though,” Hank wondered. “You ever seen a horse with eyes like that?”

Obsidian sighed. “Horse this, horse that. If you’re going to insult me, at least have the decency to call me a pony. Hey, guys, you can come out now.”

The creatures panicked as the group came out of the woods. “Bill, did that horse just talk?” Hank asked.

“I think it said it’s a pony,” Bill answered. “I’m more worried that we’re surrounded by them.” He pointed the object he was holding at Blink. “That’s a freakin’ unicorn! Oh, God, what’s going on?”

“Humph. You’re pointing that at me like it’s a weapon,” Blink observed. “Normally, we’d welcome you with open arms, as the saying goes, but I don’t think that welcome is extended to hostile creatures.” The two looked at him blankly. “Ok… let’s try it this way. Put that thing on the ground and slowly walk away, or we’ll have to take it from you.”

“Nobody takes my gun!” Bill shouted, obviously offended. He pulled back on a segment of it, making a loud clicking noise and ejecting something. He jumped back when Ember picked the smaller object up in his magical grasp and showed it to Sprocket.

Sprocket took a second to examine it, then told the others, “A gun must be some sort of miniaturized cannon. Probably lethal, definitely dangerous.”

“Well, you heard the stallion,” Windy said. “Disarm them.”

“I can hear you, you know!” Bill shouted back at her. “Any of you takes one step closer, and I’ll shoot you!” He was suddenly enveloped by a shining red light. “What the- I can’t move!”

“That’s just what that spell's designed to do,” Ember said.

“I’ll take that, thank you,” Blink laughed as he took the gun out of Bill’s grasp. “While I’m taking stuff, I’ll just confiscate this knife of yours.” He pulled a large blade out of its sheath. “Hmm, I could almost call this a dagger.” He buried it hilt-deep in the ground.

The six looked at Hank. He dropped his weapons on the ground.


The two were lead back to Hollow Shades. As they entered the guard's headquarters, all eight of them blanched at the sight of Princess Luna sitting outside the interrogation room. The ponies knew that meant trouble, the other two were just intimidated by the larger horn and billowing mane. Blink set the weapons on a nearby table while the rest lead the creatures into the room. Once Far had told Luna about what had happened in the woods, she requested to talk to the creatures personally.

The conversation started as soon as the door was sealed. "You are humans, correct?" Luna asked. Both nodded. "Good. Now, are you aware of the fact that threatening an unarmed sapient being is generally frowned upon?" Again, both nodded, with a little delay this time. "I doubt you knew, but threatening a member of the royal guard with a lethal weapon is considered a very serious crime in this world. I can only assume these 'guns' are lethal, correct?"

"Well, sometimes," Bill said. "But we didn't mean nothin' by it, I swear. I was just protecting my rights."

"What about the right to life?" Luna asked, not expecting a response. "You see, I have dealt with humans before. I can forgive your predatory habits. I can even forgive your ignorance, seeing as our worlds haven't touched in fifteen hundred years. What I cannot forgive is your reckless threats. If you intend to start a war, then by all means, continue your actions. However, your kind used to fear gods for a reason."

"Pssh, gods. Listen to her, Hank. She thinks there's more than one."

"Bill, maybe now isn't the best time to be insulting the pony with the really pointy horn."

Luna laughed. "Oh, it's not me you have to worry about. I'd be more worried about the guards that brought you in. The red one looks ready to burn you alive, he's so angry. Of course, that tends to happen when you insult their Princess."

The looks on the humans' faces said it all. They were in big trouble.