• Published 11th Sep 2014
  • 2,952 Views, 86 Comments

Us Against the World - Chelis



Big Mac and Fluttershy starts to bond when their new school labels them as outcasts on the very first day. As time goes on, their friendship eventually grows to something more. but, when a new rumor surfaces about Fluttershy, everything changes.

  • ...
29
 86
 2,952

8) Ripple

"So they came back with the parts we needed for the generator, and some food too! And they even got me new clothes!" Fluttershy said as the reached the front steps of Canterlot High, her new orange turtleneck sweater tightly hugging her. Growing up with Applejack had taught Big Macintosh how to spot a liar from a mile away, but he didn't even need that to detect the many holes in her story of a weekend of bad luck.

He thought it was cute enough, so he let it slide.

"But I wonder who Flutterfriend is? I hope I can meet that person someday."

"Eeeyup," he said, trying not to spill the beans right there and then.

They entered the foyer of the campus and found themselves on the outside of a large crowd that formed. They did not care about what could be happening, so the moved through the crowd, trying to get to their class. As the got deeper into the crowd, they found themselves in the middle of the chaos. In the midst of the circle was the two most popular students in the school.

"I did date you for the popularity, Steel Weld. But apparently you needed me for that! "Lunar Promenade confessed. The fighting between the default dance prince and the princess became more frequent, at first they were small squabbles between each other that looked like cute snarks at each other. They became full blown spectacles of the once perfect relationship unraveling at the worst possible location: in public. The crowd suddenly came alive with whispers to each other, most in shock, some were giggling amongst their friends.

"You know what? Fine. It's over!" Steel said as he stormed off. Those in the crowd who did not get out of Steel Weld's way were unceremoniously shoved out of the way. It didn't matter the age or even the gender.

Lunar Promenade promptly left when her circle of girlfriends came from the crowd to bodyguard her out, also shoving their way through.

As for Fluttershy and Big Mac, it wasn't really interesting, but the breakup was more of an 'Oh hey, this is happening and blocking our path to class.'

They moved on after the crowd dissipated, and Fluttershy began her praising of Flutterfriend yet again.

The bullying all but subsided, they had won. The 'adventures of lunch boy and cat girl' were just a fleeting memory through the halls, even attempts to bring it up was quoted with 'Does it hurt being a hipster fuck?'

The school was indifferent to them, just two faces in the crowd. Even though their purpose of the camaraderie was now nonexistent. There was a bond between them that had strengthened over the months. They still partnered up for each activity, and they waited for each other between classes. Instead of looking for comfort in each other, they were enjoying a joke and a laugh.

It was the same lunchtime as before, they got their lunches and found an empty table in the far corner away from everyone else. The events of that morning were far from each other's mind, and solely on the fall formal coming up.

"Who are you going with?" Big Macintosh asked. He was fidgeting in his seat and was playing with his food. She could tell he was nervous, and it was cute.

"Oh, I don't know I'm waiting for someone to ask. Other than that, I'm probably going to stay home if no one asks me," she said as she played with her hair, rather awkwardly and at times accidentally pulling on it.

Big Mac's eyes lit up, he smiled and even though he was nervous, he decided to go for it.

"You think you even pretty enough to get a date! HA!"

Fluttershy and Big Mac turned their heads to the commotion in the middle of the cafeteria.

Steel Weld was forcing his laughter, as to mock his former girlfriend.

"As if you can get any girl, Steel Asshole! In fact, I can get any guy here and make him prom king." Lunar Promenade shot back.

"MY Fall Formal kingship? Now you are your same old delusional self!"

"Fine!" Lunar said. She looked around as if she knew her target. As soon as she looked in their direction, she started walking.

The feeling of dread surrounded the table; they knew what was about to happen.

"You! Big Tac!"

"It's Big Mac, Ma'am."

"Yea, yea, whatever. You are my date. I will make you king," she said as she gave him a notepad and pen

"Your number, now."

Big Mac looked to Fluttershy in nervousness. She had the same look

"Actually, we were going-"

Fluttershy stopped as soon as Lunar Promenade shot her a deathly stare.

"I'll text you later, stud," Lunar said she walked off.

"Him!? Him!? Are you retarded, woman? Is he going to take to take you to the lunch room for the dinner?! You know what, fine! I'll get some loserette and I’ll make HER queen!"

He also walked over to their corner table. Fluttershy began to tremble.

"Ey, Shyflutter, give me your number. You get to be with a real man for the formal."

Big Mac at that point had enough of it. He stood up and was face to face with Steel Weld. The anger of his eyes was telling.

"Oh, what are you gonna do, lunch boy? Splash me with your milk? Sit down before I’ll send to your grandmother with some bruises to put ice on,"

Big Mac had his fist clenched and ready to start swinging, but at the corner of his eyes he could see Fluttershy trying to tell him to stop. He unclenched his fist and lowered his head. That got a laugh from Steel.

"That's what I thought, now sit your happy ass down!" He said after shoving the defeated Big Mac back into his chair.

Fluttershy wrote down her number quickly. "Ill call you later toots. Hey who knows, maybe you can show me how true it is about animal lovers being complete freaks."

Between Steel Weld leaving and the end of lunch, it was a silent one for the two, trying to decode and figure out what just happened and why did everything go downhill so fast.

Author's Note:

I have a Skype group for fans of my work, pre-readers, proofreaders, and editors. If you want to join this group (and Skype is free to get and register btw) add me (louisros1990 is mine skype) and tell me you want to join the group.