• Published 27th Jun 2014
  • 3,012 Views, 15 Comments

A Hopping Problem - billymorph



Twilight Sparkle has a new spell. Rainbow Dash doesn't know what it is but with everypony acting out of their minds she's the only who can figure it out.

  • ...
4
 15
 3,012

Rarity

The Carousel Boutique was, much to Rainbow Dash’s surprise not open that day. Rarity had placed her usually understated ‘The genius is out’ sign on the door but that wasn’t something that slowed Rainbow Dash down for long. Flitting round to the rear of the building she picked up a rock and was just eyeing up the best window to bounce it of off when Sweetie Belle appeared at the backdoor.

“Oh, hi Rainbow Dash!” she exclaimed.

“Hey,” Rainbow Dash clipped, hurriedly dropping the rock before the filly noticed it. “Can I come in?”

Sweetie Belle frowned. “Well, I’m supposed to be watching the store,” she admitted, then brightened sudden. “But you can watch it with me.”

“Sure, I guess I could spare a few minutes,” Rainbow Dash said, shrugging. Sweetie Belle stepped and gestured Rainbow Dash into the kitchen with a mock bow. “Are you here alone today?”

“Yep.” Sweetie Belle beamed. “Rarity said I was in charge while she was away.”

Rainbow Dash shot her a look. “You do know the shop’s closed, right?”

The unicorn’s smile wavered somewhat. “My sis says I have to practice more before I’m ready for it to be open.”

“You’ll get there,” Rainbow Dash assure her, ruffling her hair. “I’m surprised you haven’t got the rest of the crusaders here to keep you company.”

“Oh, Apple Bloom has chores and Scootaloo has been doing wing-ups since sunrise.” Sweetie Belle sighed. “And there’s only so many times I can sing Hearts as Strong as Horses before it begins to drive me out of my mind.”

“I liked that song,” Rainbow Dash protested.

“I did too, but I’ve been singing to for three days,” Sweetie Belle squeaked.

‘Note to self:’ Rainbow Dash thought. ‘Add chillaxing lessons to Scootaloo’s regime.’

“Well, anyway,” Rainbow Dash said, trotting into the main gallery of the Boutique. “I was wondering if Rarity was free.”

“Oh, well she’s not here right now.” Sweetie Belle stuck to Dash’s heels as the cyan pegasus began to poke around the shop. “I thought you were all meeting at Fluttershy’s today.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “I thought that too, however Twilight insisted Rarity had a big order to fill today.”

“She didn’t tell me,” Sweetie Belle protested, sounding hurt. “If she was busy I could have helped.” She pouted a moment. “I suppose we could check to see if she’s in her inspiration room.”

The pair made their way upstairs, pausing before the ornate door with a large ‘keep out’ sign tacked to it. Rainbow Dash shook her head, and knocked.

“Rarity, are you in there?” she called. “Twilight said you were busy today but I’m worried she’s just talking crazy again.”

“What!” Rarity demanded, throwing the door open. Both Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle blinked, mane disheveled, her mouth fixed in an angry snarl, Rarity was only recognisable by her cutie mark. “I mean-” she corrected, taking a step back and trying to stand a little straighter. “Whatever do you mean?”

“Are you okay sis?” Sweetie Belle said, confusion writ large upon her face.

“Oh of course Sweetie,” Rarity shot back, tossing her head. “No need to worry about moi.”

“Oh-kay.” Rainbow Dash sighed. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Impeccably so,” she insisted.

Rainbow Dash decided just to go with it. “Right. Well, I was going to ask you about getting a pair of goggles.”

“Oh, whatever happened to your lucky pair?” Rarity exclaimed. “The lovely blue and gold ones.”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes narrowed. “Who ever said anything happened to my goggles.”

“Ah, well, um, I assumed what with you wanting another pair,” Rarity stammered. “Oh, nevermind. How can I help?”

“I just need a replacement pair,” Rainbow Dash said. “Only, could you make them-” She paused for full effect. “About twenty percent cooler.”

“Right, fine, that’s just fine Rainbow Dash,” Rarity replied, nodding her head enthusiastically. “Now, if that is all I really am very busy today.” She smiled. “Toodles.” And slammed the door.

“That-” Sweetie Belle began, but Rainbow Dash cut her off.

“If you need any more suggestions I’ll be at Sweet Apple Acres,” she called through the door. “Applejack wanted some help with the harvest I think.”

There was a frantic yell from behind the door and then silence.

“Come on Sweetie Belle,” Rainbow Dash whispered, dragging the stunned unicorn away.

“That... that wasn’t Rarity,” Sweetie Belle stammered.

“Yeah I know. The real Rarity said she’d feed me my own tail if I ever said to make anything twenty percent cooler again,” Rainbow Dash explained, suppressing a shudder.

“But, who was she?” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. “One of those changeling things? What’s happened to my sister!”

“Hey, don’t sweat.” Rainbow Dash said, leaping into the air and thumping her chest. “Rainbow Danger Dash is on the case. I’ll get everything sorted out by lunchtime. In fact, I already know where to find my next clue.”

“Where?”

Rainbow Dash allowed herself a self satisfied grin. “Well, somepony just told whoever that was that I’m meeting Applejack next when I know we made no such plans.”

“Oh,” Sweetie Belle cooed, wide eyed. “Shall I get the Crusaders together so we can catch them?”

“Sure, why not?” Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Now, I’d better get moving before they get suspicious.”

“You can count on me Rainbow Dash!” Sweetie Belle saluted and then ran off as fast as her hooves could carry her.

“Right,” the pegasus said to herself. “Now, how to sneak up on Sweet Apple Acres.”