• Published 17th Jun 2014
  • 949 Views, 21 Comments

Resident Chaos - Code: Chrysalis - ConteAmarula



Valentine and her team go out for a simple search and rescue, none of them realizing the chaos they were about to fall into.

  • ...
1
 21
 949

Luna’s S.T.A.R.S are Set Free to Shine.

Chapter 1

Luna’s S.T.A.R.S are Set Free to Shine.

July 24, 1998

Above the Arklay Mountains flew a deep blue carriage, pulled by two pegasi in uniforms. Clouds blocked the light of the moon and spilled out rain like a waterfall in the sky, obscuring the vehicle and making it appear to be nothing more than a black shadow being towed through the air. On a better night one could have clearly seen the large white star on the side with the letters S.T.A.R.S painted over top it. Within the carriage housed four more ponies in uniform, diligently checking over various parts of their gear to make sure everything was functioning properly.

A young earth-pony mare with a blue beret busied herself inspecting the flick rig on her leg and the hoof-gun attached to it. The straps holding the rig to her right fore leg were tightened and readjusted to make sure it wouldn’t come off when used but wouldn't cut off blood pressure. After a bit more fiddling with the straps the mare suddenly flicked her leg out, a series of sliders, locks, and small pulleys coming alive to push the hoof-gun parallel to her leg, forward. Another flick of her leg returned the hoof-gun to its original position. The mare proceeded to do this a few more times to test the action. With a frown, a pouch on her vest was opened and a screwdriver pulled out. Firmly held in her teeth the screwdriver was used to tighten and loosen various parts of the rig. Every so often the flicking motion was tested a few times to see what results the tinkering had yielded. Several minutes passed before the mare looked up from her work and found her three comrades staring at her. “...wha’?” she said, the screwdriver still firmly held in her mouth. Her question met with chuckles and giggles.

“That would be the...let me think here. Fifth time you've adjusted that damn thing since we set out. Not counting however many times you did it before we left HQ,” another mare, whose pink mane and coat dramatically contrasted her uniform, informed her attentive partner. “Seriously. I can see from here it is functioning fi-INE!” the carriage dipped suddenly to the left, tossing the group into each other and then the wall. “OW! Luna’s tits, get off me Red Field!” the surprised stallion was roughly pushed back to his side of the carriage causing him to bang his shoulder into the opposite wall.

“OUCH! Celestia dammit Berry! It’s not my fault that happened!” Red Field retorted while rubbing his shoulder. Berry, however, had already dismissed him. Sticking her head out the window, she called to the drivers.

“Oi! Pencil Dick! Could you and Chicken Heart try and avoid doing that!” The rain assaulted the head of the mare and tried its best to obscure her rhetorical question, but was no match for her booming voice.

One of the pegasi, an orange coated mare, swivelled her head around in anger. “I told you to stop calling me that! And it windy okay?! I can’t control the wind! This isn't exactly easy you know! Why don’t you grow some wings and-” the pegasi’s head turned quickly to address her flying partner. “She went back inside! That little bi-” a powerful gust of wind hit the scorned pegasus in the face and cut off her insult.

Back in the carriage Berry busied herself with hooking the latch back onto the window to keep the rain out. Her mane now soaking wet was matted down and clung to her body.

“Why are you always making fun of Scoots like that? Is it because of what happened during the gauntlet? Because if it is you had better not sit their and act like you weren't scared the first time you had to fire a gun,” lectured the other mare in the carriage.

Berry rolled her eyes dramatically before responding “ Come on, Valentine. Are you serious or just yanking my chain? I was BORN! to use these things.” She punctuated her point by affectionately patting the Riot Shotgun attached to her saddle rig. “Besides, this has nothing to do with her breaking down after the gauntlet. I may be born to wield guns but I can understand its a scary experience, especially when you’re firing at cardboard targets. Can be hard to forget they’re fake in the heat of the moment…”

“Well what is it then?” Valentine questioned, some of the fight leaving her voice.

Berry gave a cocky grin “She is the new girl. That means we need to pound her till the pressure turns her into a diamond that can cut through all kinds of crap.”

“Or Drive her away.” The other mare retorted.

Berry’s smile became a little softer and she waved her hoof through the air, dismissing the comment. “She is a tough pony. No pony is going to stop Scootaloo from becoming a full fledged S.T.A.R.S Officer.”

“Except me if I feel she doesn’t fit the bill,” the final member of the group chimed in from his corner of the carriage. “This unit isn’t like the guards that patrol the streets of Raccoon City. We need to be tougher, faster,and smarter. When we are called in it is because the situation is too much for the guards to handle, we can’t afford any weaknesses.”

“Lighten up Shades,” Berry teased, gently nudging one of his legs with her own.



The stallion in questions head turned to look directly at her. “Silent Shade. Not. Shades. We have been over this and I am not one who enjoys repeating my self.”

“Quit wearing those sunglasses all the time and maybe I might call you something else,” said Berry, another cocky grin spreading across her face.

Shade frowned and continued to glare at her, at least it was safe to assume he was looking at her. His dark sunglasses made it impossible to tell for sure and gave him a very uncanny valley like appearance. Berry shifted uncomfortably in her seat and turned to look out the window, mumbling to herself. Shade turned and directed his attention to Valentine who had gone back to adjusting her rig. “Miss Valentine, kindly stop doing that. The rig works perfectly fine and a carriage in the middle of a storm is hardly what I would consider the best place to perform repairs on a sophisticated mechanism.”

Slipping the screwdriver back into its pouch Valentine sighed and nodded “I know sir its just, this is our first real case. No more PR appearances. No more saving cats from trees. No more sitting around HQ waiting for something to happen. All those months of training, years of hard work to get into the Raccoon City Guard Patrol, all the tests it took to bypass the R.C.G.P and get into the S.T.A.R.S unit. Its all finally coming together tonight.”

Red Field cleared his throat, “and the fact that our first real mission is to go rescue Bravo team who was sent on the actual first mission doesn't diminish your excitement?”

“Don’t ruin the moment Red. This is our time to shine! If we rescue Bravo team and get to the bottom of all the murders in the Arklay Mountains we will finally get some respect.”

“We are not in this for respect Miss Valentine. We are the crowns response to an increase in the sophistication of crimes being committed. So long as we do our jobs and keep ponies safe the public can respect us as much or as little as they please. Now, Mr. Red Field, are we close to the crash site?”

“Yes sir,” the other stallion responded immediately. “In fact I can see a grouping of trees that look like the tops were broken off. North East of our current position about three-hundred feet away.” Shade nodded and stuck his head out his window. A few moments of muffled yells could be heard over the din of the rain before the carriage banked right and headed for the grouping of trees Red Field had pointed out.

Shade brought his head back in and addressed the others. “As soon as we land we all exit through the door on our side, guns at the ready. Secure the immediate area then move out. I want a one-hundred foot perimeter around the carriage. Five minutes, we all meet up back at the carriage. Berry, you will stay with Scootaloo and Brown Sugar to guard our position. Valentine, Red Field, you are both with me. We will follow the path the broken tree tops present to us and see if we can find Bravo team.”


“Yes sir!” the other three ponies said in unison, punctuating it with a salute.

The carriage angled forward slightly and they began their descent. Each pony inside activated a flash-light attached to their vest and took hold of a rail that ran the length of the carriage, readying themselves to exit. After a short descent the carriage was jostled as it touched down, shaking a bit as it slid through the muddy ground. When the carriage eventually stopped the S.T.A.R.S members inside exited their respective doors, guns at the ready. Trained eyes scanned the scene around them in seconds. Confirming no immediate danger each pony set off to create the perimeter their captain had requested.


Valentine left the clearing and ventured further into the surrounding woods. The above foliage provided little protection from the pounding rain and within seconds she was was soaked to the bone. Ignoring her tail that now clung uncomfortably to her body and her tactical gear,now weighed down after absorbing so much rain water, she pressed on. Valentine continued into the forest, her hooves avoiding rocks and roots as if she had been this way a thousand times before. Each movement she made was a carefully planned out tactical choice to make sure she was always ready to respond to any threats. At the one-hundred meter mark Valentine turned to return back to the carriage. With a flick of her leg her gun was returned to its normal position giving her the ability to use all four legs again. Ready to head off the mare lifted one of her legs to take a step forward, but before her hoof touched the ground her ear twitched as she picked up the sound of a twig breaking. Instantly Valentine was facing the direction the sound originated from, her gun already back in position and ready to be fired. Her eyes flicked back and forth as she scanned the area of woods her flash-light revealed to her. Just beyond the border of where her flash-light could not reach she could see two very small glowing orbs floating in the air. Squinting to see better Valentine began to cautiously move forward, her gun and body continued to face the strange orbs while her eyes darted around to make sure nothing was going to surprise her. As she moved closer to the strange sight before her a powerful gust of wind hit her in the face, causing her to squint and making it much harder to see. Before she could properly react to the issue of the wind something light hit her in the face and seemed to wrap around her head, obscuring her vision. Instinctively her hooves flew to her face to try and remove the obstruction causing her to clock herself in the forehead with the barrel of her gun.

Valentine stumbled backwards, tripping over a large root and tumbling to the ground. Her upper back, an elbow, and her head connected with more roots and a rock. Not wasting time to scream out in pain the downed mare grabbed at what was covering her eyes and threw it away, immediately bringing up her gun to point at where the orbs were the moment she could see. Staring at her, eyes glowing as they reflected the light from her flash-light, was a rather confused fox holding a dead rabbit in its jaws. The fox observed the odd pony a moment longer to ensure it’s dinner wasn't in danger of being stolen and quickly trotted off to return to its den for the night. Valentine grunted out a pained and embarrassed groan as she stiffly got back up. Not wanting to waste any more time she began to make her way back to the carriage, stopping after a few feet to observe a piece of yellow plastic ribbon caught on a branch fluttering in the wind. The words “R.C.G.P Crime Scene” repeated over and over along the ribbons length. Becoming even more embarrassed at realizing what had been blown in her face and caused such a panic. Valentine groaned again and quickly made her way back to the carriage, a slight limp to her step.

When she arrived the rest of her team was already back and waiting for her return, all of them just as wet as she was.

“You okay Val?” Red Field rushed over to inspect the leg Valentine was making a great deal of effort not to put weight on.

“Fine. I mean it hurts but its no big deal. Tripped over a root. Just sore is all.” Red Field nodded absent mindedly as he continued to inspect her leg. Valentine looked to the rest of her team “Sorry guys…”

“Don’t worry about it Valentine. Not exactly the end of the world. Right, Shades?” Berry punctuated her question by bumping Silent Shade’s rump with her own. Silent Shade looked at Berry then over to Valentine and Red Field.

“Mr. Red Field, is she fit?” The pony in question nodded and looked back at his captain.

“Just fine. Bit of bruising probably. Nothing to worry about.”

Silent Shade nodded “We all get hurt in the field Valentine. Don’t bother apologizing. Just wastes time. Is your area secure?”

Valentine nodded and declared her area secure, adding in a salute. “We must be near one of the original crime scenes. Found some crime scene tape.”

Silent Shade nodded “Very well. Slight change of plans. Valentine you stay here with Scootaloo and Brown Sugar. Serious wound or not it would be best if you had a moment to recoup. Berry, Red Field. You two are with me. I don’t want us farther than twenty feet from each other at any time. In this kind of weather anything can happen. Move out.” Red Field gave Valentine a pat on the back and followed behind Silent Shade.

“Make sure Chicken Heart doesn’t run off now,” Berry yelled behind her as she headed off with the others.

“That Little-! Come here and say that to my face!” The scorned pegasi yelled as she attempted to turn around and face her tormentors back, the harness attaching her to the carriage preventing her from doing so.

Scootaloo’s flying partner attempted to quell her anger. “Calm down Scoots. You know what she’s like. Just let it roll off your back and be ready to prove her wrong.”

“But Sugar! She’s does this to me all the time! I didn't work so hard to be accepted into S.T.A.R.S just to be bullied. I joined to stop ponies like that!” she retorted, fluttering her wings angrily. Brown Sugar sighed and shrugged his shoulders in response.

Valentine tried to help calm the younger pony as she kept a constant vigil on the area around them. “Sugar is right Scoots. It’s just what she's like and its mostly because you’re the newest member. Keep up the good work and she’ll calm down a bit. Throw some of the dirt she slings your way back at her. Believe me, she’d love that and would probably look at you a bit better. She just wants you to stand up for yourself...I think.” Scootaloo mumbled something that became lost in the din of the rain. “What was that?”

“Nothing...didn’t say anything…” Everyone was quiet for a few minutes, each one busy keeping watch and wishing the rain would stop or at least let up. The adrenalin they had worked up in all the excitement and action was beginning to wear off and the weather started to take its toll on them. The three ponies began to shiver almost constantly as the cold which didn't seem a problem before began to worm its way to their core, chilling them from the inside out. Scootaloo begin to fidget angrily in her harness, pulling and twisting, making frustrated sounds. Brown Sugar, being attached to Scootaloo through the harness, was being jostled by his partners actions.

“Hey, hey, hey! Would you quit it!” The older pony demanded. “Look, we are all uncomfortable right now. This isn't exactly amazing weather to be out in. But just suck it up, stay on guard, and stop fidgeting.” Scootaloo unleashed a very frustrated sound as she planted her hooves firmly in the ground and ceased her movements.

“Its not that!... although the weather does suck. It’s just…” she trailed off and tried to look behind her down the path her team mates went. “Why couldn’t we go with them?”

Valentine sighed, knowing exactly why Scootaloo wanted so desperately to be with the team while they searched for Bravo Team. “Look, I get you’re worried about her but-”

“But we are our teams only quick way out of this forest and with a carriage attached we need some room to be able to take off,” Sugar cut in. “What if where they went there wasn't enough room to take off? Puts everyone in danger.” Sugar patted Scootaloo’s back with a wing. “And have a bit of faith. I’ve met her sister and if she is even half the pony that mare is, you’ve got nothing to worry about.” Scootaloo smiled and nodded.

“You’re right, thanks Sugar,” she said, giving her flying partner a playful jab in the shoulder with a hoof.

“Glad that's sorted. Now enough goofing off, we have a job to do and I for one-” Valentine cut herself off as she swivelled where she stood. With a flick of her wrist as she moved, her gun flashed out and into her hoof, locking into position. Though the snap had been almost deathly silent by the time it travelled through the sound of the rain to Valentine's ear, she still heard the faint trace of a branch breaking and was now fully on guard. Scootaloo and Brown Sugar reacted a fraction a second later; their guns snapped out into place, and both placed a hoof on the quick release buttons for their harnesses.

Nervous but ready for anything Scootaloo darted her eyes over every inch of the clearing. Her ears swivelled in every direction possible in reaction to the sounds of droplets pelting the ground and trees. Each drop setting off alarms of a potential threat and the urge to turn and empty the clip in her pistol. The seconds sauntered by as the young pegasus’ heart steadily increased its rapid tempo, pumping adrenalin all throughout her body. As the moment continued to last Scootaloo began to shake, more from the ever increasing threat that things could potentially go very bad, then from the cold of the storm.

Brown Sugar, though more experienced, had a difficult time stopping his hoof from releasing him from his harness and immediately turning to confront a threat. Each gust of wind caressing his body was an agonising taunt by nature for him to lose his cool. Every tussle of his mane made him want to reach up to throw a supposed enemy away, each brushing of his thigh made him want to stomp on the ground till what ever was there lay broken and flat. Experience didn't stop you from freaking out in a tense situation, it let you stay focused even if you were freaking out.

The both of them waited on Valentine to make a move, to say something, to give them some sign of what should happen next. Instead she stood where she was, gun trained on the forest, eyes straining to see through the rain and hanging foliage with what little visibility her light could provide. Eventually, Valentine took a confident step forward, gun lowered but still ready to be fired. “This is Private Valentine with the Special Tactics and Rescue Squad! Lower your body to the ground and place your fore hooves spread out away from your body,” she said with a voice confident and authoritative. Scootaloo did her best to see whom her fellow S.T.A.R.S member was addressing but couldn’t make anyone out from where she was.

Just a few seconds passed before Valentine spoke again, “I repeat! I am Private Valentine with the Special Tactics and Rescue Squad! Lower your body to the ground and place your fore hooves spread out away from your body! If you are injured or in some way unable to comply you are to remain stationary with all four hooves planted firmly. If you make any attempts to move or lift any of your hooves off the ground I will consider it an act of aggression and will react accordingly. Do you understand?” The only answer she received was the continued pitter patter of rain colliding with the ground. Valentine tilted her head back slightly to address her partners, while keeping her eyes firmly on the pony she was addressing. “Whoever it is seems to be delirious or something. Don’t think they’re in the right mental state to comply with my command. Im going to have to approach and restrain them. Scoots you keep a close eye on my back, Sugar you watch the forest and make sure this pony doesn't have friends.” Both ponies nodded and confirmed their understanding. With an air of caution Valentine made her way to the pony she had been addressing, once again entering the woods.

Now much closer than before it was clear that her assumption of delirium was right on the mark. The ponies mouth was wide open, her jaw on a strange angle -possibly dislocated- and she had glazed over white eyes. Her head was tilted back slightly and her movements were confused and sloppy. Valentine also noted the mare appeared to be wearing mountain boots and had on a damaged water pack. This was very likely to be one of the missing hikers Bravo team had been sent out to find. “Ma’am, it you have any ability to understand me, please do not panic and make no sudden movements. I am here to help but I am going to need to restrain you.” Fairly confident the confused pony wasn’t going to attack her, Valentine flicked her wrist and sent her gun away. Freeing a hoof to slip into a pouch and pull out a nylon set of zip-cuffs.

The mare seemed oblivious to Valentine's existence and movements. Confidently the S.T.A.R.S member moved toward her target and got into position to pin and restrain her. Just as she was about to make her move the mare suddenly tackled her to the ground. Valentine instinctively grabbed the mares upper fore legs to keep her at bay. The crazed mare growled and flapped its dislocated jaw uselessly as she made frantic attempts to bite her pinned prey. Valentine braced her hind hooves against her attackers stomach and with a powerful thrust kicked her off and a decent distance away. In a blink she was on her hooves, gun clicking into place. “Get on the ground! Get on the ground right now or I will open fire!” The mare didn’t seem to care about Valentine’s threat. She stood back up on unsure hooves and began a sluggish walk towards her target. “Freeze! Freeze or I will fire!” The shouts of her friends could be heard just slightly over the din of the rain but Valentine was too focused to answer. “If you do not stop and get on the ground I will open fire! Now get on the ground!” The mares mouth opened wide and she let out a blood curdling scream, of pain and hunger. She lurched forward and once again tried to take a bite out of Valentine.

Three loud bangs echoed through the forest as three bullets exited the standard issue Samurai Edge pistol and hit their mark. Two shots hitting the mare in the chest and the last one in the head. The crazed mare dropped to the ground like a marionette who had its strings cut. Not wanting to waste time, knowing her comrades would have heard the shots, Valentine made to shout she was okay. Before she could, multiple gun shots rang out; she immediately put her gun away and took off back to the carriage.

Back at the carriage there was five dead dogs laying on the ground in various locations. Scootaloo was busy fixing a wound on one of Sugar’s fore legs. “You two okay?!” Sugar nodded.

“We’re just fine...gah! careful Scoots.”

“Sorry Sugar.” The rattled pegasus turned her head and gave Valentine a quick nod to show she was okay too.

“You okay Val? We heard shots fired.”

“Ya...crazed mare, had to take her down. Think she was one of the hikers Bravo was looking for,” Valentine responded with a touch of sadness in her voice.


“Now don’t you start doing that Val. Morn when you have the time and this most certainly is not the time.”

Valentine gave a half hearted nod “Right...so...lets contact Berry and the others.” The other two nodded in agreement, Scootaloo giving an extra nod after finishing fixing up Sugar. Val reached for her radio but stopped as the echoing sound of gunfire reached her ears and the crackling sound of her captain burst from her radio.

“Valentine! Get everyone into the air and get ready for a Dive and Sweep pick-up!” Valentine snapped up her radio and voiced her understanding to her captain.

“You heard him you two. Get ready to fly! I’ll stay here and provide back up,” she commanded, lighting a flare and dropping it to the ground. “Should be able to see the flare decently enough but don’t go to high.”

“Right!”

“Right!”

Both pegasi’s wings flared out and they readied to take off. But before they could get a chance another dog burst out of the shadows and latched onto one of Sugar’s wings. The pegasi screamed out in pain and Scootaloo screamed out in absolute terror, bucking wildly. Sugar frantically tried to hit the quick release on his harness while also fighting off the dog. Valentine made to shoot the attacking animal but growling from behind her forced her to turn and address the threat of five more dogs rushing at them.

Sugar managed to release himself, however this proved to be a mistake as three more dogs burst forth from the darkness, each latching onto him. Had he remained strapped into the harness the four dogs would have been unable to drag him away into the woods.

Val finished off the other dogs and turned to help Sugar, only to see him being dragged into the blackness of the forest.

Sugar!” Valentine’s voice rang out but was a mere whisper to the gunshots emanating from all around her, both from Berry and the others, and Sugar who was putting up a last fight. Valentine made to go after Sugar but more of the rabid dogs showed up, driving Scootaloo into a panic. Not thinking clearly the frightened pegasus neighed and took off at full speed, fear for her life driving her and giving her strength. Busy with the new pack of dogs Valentine was unable to stop Scootaloo from lifting off the ground and disappearing into the distance. Valentine screamed Scootaloo’s name over and over as she took each dog out with carefully positioned shots, but the carriage never re-appeared. As the last of the dogs were finished off Valentine made to take of after Sugar, only to notice that there was no more gun shots, no more sounds of any kind. She quickly came to the realization that if Sugar had somehow survived the attack she had no way to find and help him.

Not wanting to give up Valentine grabbed her radio “Scootaloo is gone with the carriage, Sugar was pulled into the forest. Im going in after hiiiiim!-” Valentine suddenly found herself being pulled frantically by Berry Punch.

“Sorry Val!” The purple mare shouted “We have to run!” Valentine looked behind to see Silent Shade and Red Field close behind, a pack of at least thirty rabid dogs chasing them. Desperately not wanting to leave her friend behind, but realizing the seriousness of their predicament she took off as fast as she could, Berry no longer needing to pull her. The group of them ran as fast as fast as possible, the fury of the dogs urging them to move faster than they thought possible. None of them were able to form any sort of coherent thought beyond run! Their hoofs furiously beat the ground, propelling them forward. Each pony praying to Celestia and Luna that their hooves did not slip in the mud and deliver them to waiting jaws of the beasts in hot pursuit.

Faster and faster they moved, the threat of death pushing the limits of their bodies. Just as it seemed as though they would be running till they collapsed from exhaustion Valentine spotted lights through the darkness. “This way!” she shouted to the others and managed to push a little bit more speed from her body. Her comrade’s followed without a word, hoping Valentine found something. Bursting from the forest into a clearing the group found themselves in front of a huge mansion. Not questioning their luck they all ran towards the front door, willing to make a deal with any manor of demon to ensure it was unlocked. Valentine was the first to reach the door, grabbing the handle and pulling hard…

The door swung open and Val rushed in, her wet and muddy hooves slipping on the marble floor and sending her to the ground. The rest of her team barrelled through and they too slipped and landed hard on the floor. Red Field was the first to make a move to close the door but he was not having much luck. He frantically tried to get up and get to the handle but his hooves repeatedly slipped, sending him down over and over. Each time he fell added to the bruises he already had and made it that much harder to get up again. The lights from the mansion reflected off the approaching dogs eyes making them shine in the darkness. Several sparkling beacons of death charging through pounding rain to devour them all. The sight spurred Red Field on and he rushed to the door. Slipping again and bashing his head against the door’s frame. Light headed, in pain, and disorientated; Red Field lifted a hoof up from the ground and grabbed hold of the doors handle, pulling with all his might to shut it. The six lead dogs all leapt into the air to try and get to their prey that much faster. All six slammed into a wooden barrier blocking their way.

Red Field slumped against the door and closed his eyes, the others -still laying on the ground- did the same as they realised, for the moment, they were safe.