• Published 12th Jun 2014
  • 1,655 Views, 56 Comments

Stunt Flier for Hire - RaginCroissant



Recent circumstances have given Twilight the opportunity to live a dream she once thought would be impossible.

  • ...
5
 56
 1,655

Early To Bed, Early To Rise

When it came to waking up in the morning, Twilight was generally punctual and out of her bed within minutes, excited to start her day. This morning, however, Twilight has been lying down for 15 minutes, wide awake, though unable to move. Her wings were fully stretched out as she stared up at the wooden ceiling of her home. Any attempt to move, even the slightest, forced Twilight into agonizing pain. The Wonderbolts uniform that Twilight had accidentally fallen asleep in, did not help the situation.

“Okay Twilight. You can do this. Just get out of bed and you can start loosening up.” Twilight offered the short motivational speech to herself. Taking in a few deep breaths through gritted teeth she slowly moved herself into a sitting position. “Ouchie, ouchie, ouchie,” was all she could say as she climbed down from the bed, one limb at a time. Once she was on her hooves, she took one more deep breath. She slowly began to work her legs, loosening the cramps and muscles that went through intense training, by Twilight's standards, the previous day. Once her legs were capable of walking, she turned her head around to inspect her wings that were still stretched out themselves. Tenderly, she tried to close them to the side of her body, but they refused to budge.

Grumbling to herself, Twilight walked across the room, further loosening her legs, though her wings remained stubborn. She had decided that a very warm shower was just what she needed to ease the aches in her wings. Taking extra care to avoid hitting her wings on any of the door frames, Twilight ventured to the shower, excited to begin her day and visit the Cloudeseum. It would be the first time since she had become a princess that she would visit the cloud city. The thought of the visit, without the need for a cloud walking spell, was enough to take Twilight's mind off the soreness for a split second.

The overly sore alicorn walked out of the bathroom, steam pouring out as it now had a place to escape and gave a contented sigh. While still sore from the previous day's flying, her wings were tucked in to her sides and were no longer a hazard of knocking anything over. Twilight carried out the uniform she was supposed to wear at the upcoming Wonderbolts event and placed it on an open table. Looking at it reminded Twilight of how difficult it had been to put it on. She was not used to wearing one-piece uniforms. Thankfully, especially so today, she was able to teleport herself out of the uniform before showering away her cramps. She didn't think it would be possible to take the uniform off regularly.

For the first time since she woke up, Twilight was able to take a glance at the time and was fortunate to see she had plenty of time until the practice she was going to attend. She smiled as she grabbed a glass of water, thankful that falling asleep early, along with the work she put in with Rainbow Dash had given her a refreshing night's sleep. She took a seat on one of the library's reading cushions with her glass of water slowly levitating toward the ground. With the water safely on the ground, Twilight once again grabbed her book on stunt flying to read through it once again. She was determined to memorize every trick and suggestion in that book before Friday.

After reading through another three pages, Twilight's attention was drawn to the knocking on the front door. Twilight stood, feeling the joints in her legs pop was relaxing after the pain she felt earlier. She was greeted with the largest, toothy grin she has ever seen when she opened the door. The mare behind the smile, trotted inside the lobby, nearly pushing Twilight aside.

“What's going on Twilight? Just wanted to see how you were doing.” Twilight gave Rainbow a quizzical look, confused by both the smile and her enthusiasm. Twilight carefully unfolded her left wing and placed it in front of her, allowing her to massage it with a hoof.

“A little sore, but otherwise, I'm doing great.” Twilight followed Rainbow further into the library. Rainbow gave several looks around the library, taking a look at some of the shelves, faking her interest in the books that sat on them. Slowly walking up to Rainbow, Twilight stood behind her for a few seconds, taking a glance at the books she was looking at.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” Rainbow hid her smirk before running her hoof across various book spines.

“Nope. Just looking for an awesome book to read.” Twilight walked up next to Rainbow and gave her an odd look.

“You do know this is the history section, right?”

“Pffft. I know that. I have to brush up on my Wonderbolts history. We have Reserves training in a bit. Can't be too prepared.” Twilight skeptically looked at the shelves as her horn lit up. A book at the top shelf levitated toward Rainbow as she sat down. She grabbed the book in her hooves, giving it a quick glance and placed it on the ground. The toothy grin returned as well as Twilight's uneasiness.

“Excited for Friday night?” Rainbow asked as she skimmed the book sitting in front of her. Twilight shook her head after realizing she was staring a Rainbow a bit. She was confused over Rainbow's sudden interest in reading history books, especially after she had so much difficulty sitting down and reading when preparing for her Wonderbolts Reserve exam. Deciding that Rainbow's odd behavior was simply because she was excited to get to training, Twilight took a seat next to her friend.

“Most definitely. I haven't been to a Wonderbolts event in years.” Rainbow perked up and gave her full attention to Twilight, completely neglecting the book.

“Sweet. When was last time you went?” Twilight thought for a few seconds, humming to herself hoping to access the memory quicker.

“I don't remember the date exactly, but it was Spitfire's first performance I believe.” Twilight tapped a hoof to her lower lip. “Yes. It was definitely that performance.” Twilight looked up to see Rainbow's jaw dropped. Waving a hoof to get her attention didn't appear to work, though before Twilight resorted to more drastic measures, Rainbow broke out of her trance.

“That was my first Wonderbolts event too!” Rainbow was beaming as she rocketed up toward the ceiling, narrowly avoiding a disastrous collision. Twilight followed her friend's trajectory as Rainbow crash landed. With a wince, Twilight quickly trotted over to the mess of pegasus, table splinters and fabric.

“Rainbow Dash! Are you okay?!” Rainbow groaned as she picked herself up. She took a few seconds to let her blurry vision focus on Twilight, who was waving a hoof in front of her. Placing a hoof on her head to ease the throbbing, she noticed various splinters fly around as Twilight tried to clean up the mess. “Hello? Rainbow?” Twilight continued her interrogation. Before Rainbow could answer she noticed a shimmer of light blue float toward Twilight and placed on her back. Rainbow's eyes shot open and she just as quickly filled Twilight's vision

“What's that?” Rainbow pointed a hoof at the pile of blue and yellow sitting on Twilight's back. Twilight quickly turned around and before Rainbow could continue asking, the fabric was thrown off behind some chairs. The pegasus' eyes followed it through the air and she shot off to catch it. Before getting more than a few inches, she felt a strong pull on her tail, that she had become accustomed to. Twilight's horn was lit up and Rainbow knew better than to fight it as she allowed her alicorn friend to place her back on the ground.

“Oh. It was nothing. Just something I need to clean up while Spike is away.” Twilight gave a nervous chuckle. She glanced toward the clock to check the time.

“Well, you know, I got time, maybe I could help you out.” Rainbow took a few slow steps in the direction of Twilight's uniform.

“Are you sure you have time? Don't you have Wonderbolts Reserve training soon?” Twilight pointed to the clock hastily. Rainbow turned around to check the clock herself. Her eyes shot open noticing the time.

“It's that time already?! Thanks Twi, but I got to go. See ya.” Before Twilight could respond her front door slammed causing her to lower her ears. The only casualty of the door's slam was one book making a sudden thud on the ground. Twilight rubbed her ears a bit to get the hearing back into them before she trotted over to inspect her uniform.

She looked through the light purple glow of her magic surrounding the uniform checking every last inch of it. With her hoof, she rubbed off a few scuffs of dirt until she was satisfied with her work. She folded it carefully and placed it in a more hidden location than out in the middle of the room.

“If I'm going to keep this a secret, then I'm going to have to be more careful.” Twilight mumbled to herself. She glanced at her clock once again and felt her stomach drop when she noticed the time herself. Her eyes shrank as she continued to look at the clock. She turned around and took several large steps toward the door before her memory caught up with her and she slid to a stop. The purple alicorn chuckled to herself as she lit her horn and readjusted her clock back 30 minutes. With an extra half an hour to work with, Twilight walked to her kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Author's Note:

How about I get un-lazy? Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. :)