• Published 12th Jun 2014
  • 942 Views, 28 Comments

Angel of Fire - memphisgurl



Teenage Scootaloo discovers that her world was not what it seemed, and who she is really meant to be while the fate of Equestria hangs in the balance.

  • ...
1
 28
 942

The Drifter

On the long, lonely walk home the sun finally decided to peek out from behind stormy gray clouds, offering some warmth if only for a moment. I was thankful that it had finally stopped raining, which was a good thing because I didn't own an umbrella.

The stifling summer heat of just last month – now a distant memory – had finally lifted. Birds flitted about, chirping overhead as if it were spring. The heavy smells of fall with its tangy aroma of pine trees, filled the air while a steady, coldish breeze brushed my cheeks and played with my mane.

It was the heart of autumn in Ponyville, and leaves on the trees had already changed from greens into yellows, oranges, and crimson reds. In a few more days the colors would be even more glorious as the leaves reached their peak. I might have enjoyed the walk if I hadn't been so preoccupied with searching the woods for Beastie, while at the same time trying to remember every tip I could think of for surviving a zombie attack.

Since my mouth had failed epically to protect me, I did the first smart thing I could think of. I grabbed a nice thick, sturdy tree limb and practiced swinging it. Satisfied, I ignored my mom's warnings about walking in the road and strolled right down the middle, careful to avoid the dense shrubbery and bushes along the shoulder. I didn't plan on being surprised twice in one day if I could help it. Usually, I didn't pass by a single soul on the way to my house.

With the exception of today, of course.

Far off in the distance, a female figure stood beside one of the many ancient oak trees lining the humble country road. I glanced over my shoulder in case I needed to call for help, knowing full well that nobody else lived on my road but me.

As far as I could tell, I had only two options. First, I could run in the opposite direction, screaming my head off. Or second, I could trust that I was capable of swinging my trusty tree limb and aiming for the brain. I opted for the latter.

Time to put my big girl panties on.

With each step I took, a cold knot of panic started to grow in the center of my gut. I braved a harder glance as I approached and was sure...well, I was mostly sure (hoped was more like it) that this mare wasn't Beastie. Or what was left of him anyway.

I did the slow head turning thing just in case, as I carefully made my way past him. Nope, definitely not Beastie. Besides, this mare was a tall drink of beautiful with extra ice. She was simply too delicious looking to be dead. She had one of those utterly feminine faces that you always see in fashion modeling magazines. The way she wore her vibrant blue mane and tail in elaborate curls reminded me of a princess. Wearing a crisp, neon orange jacket she could’ve played the lead in any romance movie.

Eyebrows furrowed tightly together, she stood with one leg bent, back pressed up and leaning...no, not leaning exactly...more like leaning with major attitude against the tree, while absolutely glowering at me.

She looked like a total bad-ass. Intimidating much?

“You don't look dangerous,” she said, sounding thoughtful.

I stopped walking and made a slight U-turn to face her, careful to keep my distance. “What did you say?”

She wrinkled her forehead in confusion.

At first glance, it appeared as though she had on a ton of eyeliner. But, upon closer inspection, I realized that she was actually just disgustingly gifted with thick, dark lashes.

I didn't even know the mare, but she was obviously off her meds and wasting my time. Probably some kind of drifter.

“Never mind.” I gave up and started walking again.

Just my luck, I meet two random ponies out of the blue. One of them is already dead, while the other is deluded. Not that I'm looking for a date, of course.

“Go back to the funny farm,” I said with a laugh, tossing my weapon over my shoulder. She was about as threatening as a teacup Chihuahua.

I hadn't taken twenty steps before I heard a crunch of gravel. I jerked my head in the direction of the noise, only to find the same mare leaning on another tree farther up ahead.

Poor tree.

I hadn't even noticed her pass by me, let alone move that fast.

She shrugged her shoulders as I drew near again, giving me scornful eyes. “You just don't seem that dangerous to me. Why is that?”

This girl just isn't giving up.

“How should I know? I don't speak crazy. That's your department.” I said, brushing past her. “Besides, you just met me. Give it five minutes.”

The drifter fell into step beside me. I couldn't help but shudder. Not because the close proximity of her body bothered me – more like because it didn't. Maybe my stranger alert system was on the fritz.

“I've known you a lot longer than five minutes,” she broke in.

Never mind. At hearing her admission, an alarm started going off in my head. This time I stopped dead in my tracks to glare at her.

She paused to clear his throat under my intense scrutiny. “Known of you, I should say.”

“Who in the hell do you think you are, and why are you following me?”

She stood up straight, puffed out her chest, and replied in a deep voice, “I'm your worst nightmare!”

At first, I thought she was kidding, until she reached out a hoof with blinding speed and grabbed my left front leg. Consumed by panic, I writhed in terror – but she refused to let go. As I jerked on my leg even harder, trying desperately to break free, her grip only tightened. Or, at least, that's what I imagined had happened. When the initial shock wore off, I realized that I couldn't actually feel her grip at all. In fact, even as I saw her holding onto my leg, the only thing I actually felt was the gentlest of vibrations. Like the delicate flutter of wings.

I just stood there...afraid to move...afraid not to. I must have been lost deep in horror because when I came out of it, I found her laughing. It hadn't even occurred to me that she'd finally let me go.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you,” she said with a chuckle. “I've just always wanted to say that.” I watched intently as he carefully extended her right hoof, eyes still sparkling with laughter. “My name is Alea, by the way.”

“Are you crazy?” I yelled, jerking away. “First Beastie, and now you!”

She smiled, but not like she was happy. “Are you referring to the pony who tried to attack you at school?”

I froze. How did she know?

Wrinkling her brow, she said, “What did you call him again?”

“Beastie,” I supplied, scowling.

“Ah, yes.” Alea chuckled to herself, clearly amused. Unaffected by my glare, she continued. “Beastie, as you so eloquently refer to him, has been taken care of. You have nothing to fear now, you're safe with me.”

My eyes went wide. “Yeah? Well, right now I'm feeling a lot of things and, trust me, safe ain't one of them.”

“Scootaloo,” she began, trying to make his voice sound comforting. “I can assure you, I mean you no harm.”

I sucked in my breath. “How do you know my name?”

“I know everything about you,” she admitted, softly.

My first thought was...Wow, what a creeper! But I didn't say it out loud. Thanks to Beastie, not every thought that popped into my head had to come out of my mouth. My second thought was concern. But not for myself. “What did you do to Bea...uh, I mean...what did you do to Rumble?”

She seemed to think about that for a moment. “Rumble won't be back to bother you.”

At first, I just stared at her – mind unable to process the words. “You killed him?”

“Rumble was already dead, if you hadn't noticed.”

She had a point.

I took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. Time to get some answers. “Alea, is it?” I said, trying out her name. “You know why Rumble came to my school – don't you?”

She nodded, face unreadable. “Yes.”

When she didn't expand on the explanation, I could tell I was going to have to drag it out of her. Stubbornly crossing my legs, I said, “Care to enlighten me?”

“He came to recruit you,” Alea replied simply, as if that explained everything.

“Recruit me? For what, exactly?”

“To join the rebellion,” she replied, matter-of-factly.

“Rebellion?” I repeated. “What rebellion?”

“The Dark Ones have launched a rebellion against the Guardians for dominion over the earth."

“The Dark who, and the Guardians what?” I said, voice going high. Recovering quickly, I raised both eyebrows. “And which one are you?” I still wasn't entirely sure she wasn't a whack job.

A really gorgeous whack job who seemed to know a whole heck of a lot about me.

“I am a Guardian,” Alea responded, proudly.

“So why are you here?”

“To recruit you to join my side.”

“Of the rebellion?” I finished for her.

“Correct.”

I let what she said sink in without responding. The words, Daughter of Darkness echoed eerily in my mind. When I found my voice, it came out in a whisper of disbelief. “What could you possibly need me for? I'm just a kid.”

“Meet me tonight in the old barn behind your house,” Alea said, “and I promise to explain everything." She started to walk away, and then turned back around as if she'd forgotten something." Oh, and bring your violin too.”

She was seriously starting to annoy me with all her familiarity about my life. The thought that she could know me so well when I knew nothing about her, gave me the squeamies. And there's absolutely no way I wanted her coming anywhere near my house.

I glanced down at my hooves, trying to think of an intelligent excuse to get rid of her.

I finally gave up.

“I don't mean to rain all over your parade...” I began, flippantly. When I raised my head to finish, Alea was gone.

Mercifully alone once again, with only my thoughts to keep me company, I replayed the conversation over and over again in my mind, forcing myself to comprehend, but I still didn't have a clue. It was all just a big, fat mystery.

If possible, the last mile to my house was the loneliest walk of my life. Somehow, I knew that everything I've ever known was about to change. One thing I couldn't be certain about, was whether it would be a change for the better, or for worse.