• Published 17th Jun 2014
  • 568 Views, 21 Comments

Aer Vis - LightOfTriumph



They shall deliver unto evil death dealt swiftly from above.

  • ...
2
 21
 568

Mighty Wings

The eagle, born beyond the wildest dreams of men, it's known,
Was first reach the heavens, above all the world below,
By steel and wood, by sweat and blood, on wings of woven cloth,
he slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of god
But knowing times of trouble and the devils they may bring,
are only thwarted by the will to fight, he raised his mighty wings.
Prepared for war, thus guarding peace, for liberty his love,
He shall deliver unto evil, death dealt swiftly from above.

**********************************************************************

Celestia hated this room, this room was never good news.

She was ushered to the head of the long black table, at the other end was her sister. Sitting around the table were her advisers. There were several magical maps around the room each of them flashing a different message. She sighed, and took a seat.

"One of these days," Celestia said softly. "I'm going to come in here and it's going to be 'Good News! We've discovered a cure for feather flu,' or 'We found a way to spread immortality to Non-Alicorns!' When is that day going to come Spitfire?"

"I don't know," Spitfire replied. "But when it does I'm first in line for the immortality."

"This is hardly the time for jokes," Luna said sternly. "Tell her what you told me."

Spitfire closed her eyes. "At 0100 this morning a Mage corps picked up strange magical coming from behind the Tartarus gates. At 0130 a message was received communications from behind the gate. Whoever is there has claimed that they have amassed an army, and was about to march through the gates. At 0300 we finally got visual confirmation of the threat."

"Who was behind it?" Celestia asked. "Tirek?"

"Tirek is dead," Spitfire said frankly. "His head on a spear was one of the first things they showed us."

"Sweet Equestria..." Very few things ever took Celestia off guard, this was one of them.

"They're calling themselves 'The Ferrymen'," Spitfire continued. "It seems to be an alliance of everything that ever hated us. Every demon in hell waiting to bash our skulls in."

Celestia held her composure. "What are their demands? What are they saying they want?"

"No demands, sister," Luna answered. "This wasn't a threat, it was an announcement."

"Alright," Celestia said. "Contact princess Twilight. Tell her-"

"With all due respect, Ma'am," Spitfire cut in. "It's to late for that. The Ferrymen have declared open war. This is why you have a standing army. We need to fight back."

"I know," Celestia said. "However, I want to keep from using it as much as possible. The fewer ponies I put at risk, the better chance of keeping my nation intact. We'll finish whatever they begin, but I'm not going to fire he first shot."

The doors flung open, and a tall grey Pegasus stepped in. "May be a bit late for that. The first shot's been fired."

"General Core?" Celestia asked. "What's happened?"

"Cerberus is dead," Hard Core said quickly. "The Ferrymen are loose. We've lost contact with Trottingham."

"Comms are down?" Spitfire asked.

"Trottingham is down." Core responded. "Wiped off the face of the planet."

The news took a while to sink in, the room fell into a deathly silence.

"Sister," Luna said softly. "If they've taken Trottingham, it's likely that they will move to Cloudsdale, and then up to Canterlot. We have to-"

"I know," a quiet rage had filled Celestia. Her cities had burned, her people had died, and those responsible were going to pay. "Spitfire, I swear, I want the thunder of ages to rain down on them. How angry are you right now?"

Spitfire smiled. "Pretty damn pissed, Ma'am"

"Good," Celestia said. "Use that."

***************************************************************************

Turbo Charger was heading straight for the hangar door. "I've made up my mind. Don't try to stop me."

That was Light's cue to try to stop him. "Okay, why am I stopping you?"

"It's taking too long for Fleetfoot to send us out. I had friends in Trottingham. I'm not waiting to fight for them any longer. End of story." Turbo said shortly.

"Okay," Light of Triumph pinched his nose. "Let me see if I've got this right. You're going to head out into an army of Demons, alone, unarmed, and emotionally unstable. This is a good plan."

Turbo punched a wall. "What the fuck are we doing here?! I'm asking Light, what the fuck are we still doing here? We lost a city, we lost friends!! Dammit why are we still waiting?!"

"Trottingham was attacked twelve hours ago," Light responded. "You want us to go in there an hour after the fact?"

"The minute!" Turbo shouted. "After something like that we shouldn't come back in an afternoon, we come back immediately and we come back with nothing less than total disaster!!"

"Yeah, you're right," Light responded calmly. "Going in there without intel would be a disaster. And how much damage do you think you can do on your own?"

Turbo started for the door again. "Plenty, watch me."

"Turbo!!" Light called, Turbo stopped. "Listen to me right now, I know you're pissed off. We're all pissed off. If you go out there right now, you're going to get yourself killed."

Turbo took a deep breath. "You're right. Sorry."

"Don't be sorry," Light said quickly. "Don't calm down. You're probably the best flyer on this group, certainly better than I am, and you're at your best when you're angry. I'm not going to live through this war without you at your best next to me! So stay pissed, and stay in line!"

There was a moment of silence and the two friends stared at each other.

"So," Turbo said finally. "Do you, like, rehearse these lectures in your head or-?"

Light's straight face broke. "Celestia damn it..." He giggled.

"You'd make a good motivational speaker," Turbo joked.

"Shut up," Light laughed.

"Honestly, I was moved," Turbo punched Light in the shoulder. "Seriously dude, thanks for bringing me in."

"It's what I do," Light smiled. "Now for a question, where's everypony else?"

Turbo looked around the mostly empty hangar. "That's a good question..."

"Attention" a voice came over the PA. "All personnel meet outside for the Cloud Burst demonstration."

Light was confused. "Cloud Burst?"

Turbo shrugged. "No clue. Let's get outside before Fleetfoot has hour flanks."

"Agreed," Light said, and the two pegusi made their way to the training ground.

*************************************************************************

The entire squadron was gathered in a square in the training yard. Light and Turbo were at the front.

Fleetfoot and Soarin made their way to the front of the pack. Turbo noticed a strange pendant around Soarin's neck.

"At ease," Fleetfoot said. "You are all probably wondering why, after yesterday's attack, you are not in combat yet. The reason for this is that this squadron did not have the tools for the task. That has changed as of right now. Soarin?"

"Yes ma'am." Soarin pressed the pendant.

At that moment the Wonderbolt was enveloped in steam. The steam began to take shape around him, forming around his wings. Adding to them. When it was finished Soarin seemed to be wearing shifting white armor, his wingspan increased a good ten feet.

"This," Fleetfoot said with a note of pride, "is the Cloud Burst. Specially made for military pegusi. This is armor for combat. These are our instruments of war. Over the next month you are going to learn how to use these machines, and then you'll be ready for the fight."

"Permission to speak freely, Sir!" Turbo piped up.

"Granted," Fleetfoot said.

"Why?" Turbo asked. "While this things are impressive, won't they just get in the way of hoof-to-hoof, won't they slow us down?"

"Mister Charger, with the Cloud Burst, hoof-to-hoof should no longer be necessary. Soarin, if you would be so kind?"

Soarin took off, flying as quickly as he always did. He made and aerial loop and began to move toward the ground. The Cloud Burst turned to a dark grey. With a massive CRACK lightning shot from Soarin, lighting a ten square yard area not two feet behind Fleetfoot, on fire.

Light and Turbo's jaws were on the floor.

"Anything to add, Mister Charger?" Fleetfoot asked calmly.

"I want one!" Turbo said gleefully.

"See what I told you?!" Light could barely contain his excitement. "Good things come to those who wait!!!"

Author's Note:

Dedicated to Turbo, the USAF, and all of my followers.

Cover Art