• Published 31st Oct 2011
  • 2,731 Views, 84 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Fly Away - Freeflyingwolf



Adventures in the Everfee Forest and beyond as a pegasus with a manticore for a friend.

  • ...
10
 84
 2,731

Chapter 4: Life

Fallout Equestria: Fly Away

Chapter 4: Life

By Freeflyingwolf

”Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.”

Every day for a week, Sunshy went to the edge of the forest, to the same spot he had gone to before. Every day for a week, Enclave pegasi stood on the dirt only a few yards from him. One always held a white-hot ironing brand. The rest held guns.

They stayed there for hours on end, talking to Sunshy. At first, they were nice and trying to coax him out. An earbloom allowed the yellow colt to listen to his favorite DJ and tune them out at the same time. Truly, it’s hard to convince someone you mean them no harm when one of you is wielding an iron to brand his cutie marks off.

Then they got violent. They shouted obscenities at him, taunted him, insulted his family. Through it all, Sunshy remained stoic and listened to the pleasing voice of DJ-Pon3. A roar from Big Sol was enough to convince them to leave when they first turned violent. However, it did not work for long.

Then on the last day of the week, they all perished on the ground. Manticore poisoning and a severe case of mauling. However, the officials in the sky could not claim that their forces had died from trying to get one Dashite; they died from too much poison inhalation.

After that, they left Sunshy alone to his devices forever and eternity. It could not just end well.

The grass seemed greener, their jewels shinier, and the sun brighter, and Celly was fully healed. Everything was going great. The wasteland does not like it when things go well for too long. It needed to crush the spirit of ponies as often as possible.

Humming along merrily to the song on his Pipbuck hanging off his saddle, Sunshy trotted around an unexplored region of the Everfree forest. He was picking flowers he had found and was following their trail. With Big Sol and Celly following, nothing could go wrong. Celly was now as big as he was and would just keep growing for another couple years. Big Sol did not need to be any bigger.

A hole appeared in front of the unaware Sunshy, causing him to cry out and dart behind Big Sol, who was posed for a fight. Celly stood at his head and roared at the hole, trying to seem brave. Then a giant dog-like creature appeared out of the hole, scaring her into cowering next to her brother.

Trying to find a way not to get eaten, the yellow colt fluttered out and landed next to the creature. It was huge, easily as large as Big Sol, who was already slightly larger than the average Manticore. The unknown creature was red, with a face of a dog and the body of a biped. Its hands sported wicked sharp claws that seemed like they could tear through anything.

DJ-Pon3’s voice rang through Sunshy’s head. He knew what this thing was. It was a hellhound. Equestria’s most fearsome creature.

“Hello there, uh, my name is Sunshy. What’s yours?” Sunshy conversed in a pleasant tone.

Instead of answering, the hellhound opened its maw and snapped at the yellow colt. Big Sol grabbed his son’s red tail and jerked him back at the same moment. What would have been decapitation severely lessened to a scratch on the nose. Sunshy held his nose and stared at the hostile creature with wide, fearful eyes. Then he yelled, “Run!”

There was no place to run. Holes sprouted in a messy circle around the three, quickly followed by hellhounds, trapping them in one spot. Sunshy’s eyes darted to and fro, trying to find an exit. Even the sky held no salvation; hellhounds were up in the mountain, just waiting for one of them to try to fly up. Tearless sobs of fear raked the colt, who cowered against Celly; she had wet herself in fear.

Big Sol puffed out his chest, raised his wings, and lifted his tail. With a mighty roar, he sent the weakest of the hellhounds back into their holes, the smell of fear and released bowels following. The remaining mutated Diamond dogs attacked, lunging upon the large manticore.

Celly and Sunshy flew as fast as their wings could take them as Big Sol fought with all his might, despite being heavily outmatched. There were no less than three biting and digging their claws into his rear. A hellhound attacking his face was stabbed through the eye with a scorpion tail. Vicious claws sliced the appendage from the body. Though Big Sol roared in pain, he did not stop the fight, ignoring the blinding pain threatening to engulf him.

His large paw slashed at a face, revealing bone, downing another. Deciding those biting his rear were the biggest annoyance, the Manticore bucked like a pony, catching them off-guard and throwing them from his back. Before they could recover, Big Sol pounced upon them, tearing with his lion paws. His peripheral vision alerted him to a hellhound attacking from both sides. Two large bat wings sprung out, clipped the monsters’ face, sending them to the ground. There, they were ended by slashes on their throats.

But there were more coming from the holes. They swarmed upon the falling heroic father as bees swarm intruders in their hive. Roaring defiantly, Big Sol slashed wildly, even as claws and teeth tore away his skin and sinew. Only when a leg was taken off did he fall. Still, he fought against the monsters trying to pile upon him with frantic swipes.

A hellhound held his head down, others held down his paws, more held down his wings. They avoided his tail that continuously bled poison and blood. They slashed open his stomach, but he could not make a sound. Through dimming golden eyes, Big Sol saw the faint forms of his children running away. They were safe, so it did not matter if the monsters ate his organs while there was life in him. His children would continue to live. That was enough to allow Big Sol to slip into the next life.

Crying as he had not since losing his home, Sunshy flew. He flew haphazardly fast, bumping into trees every so often. Still, he did not slow his pace once he recovered. Those monsters had taken down his father. The only father he knew. As he flew away, he had heard Big Sol’s roars of pain. It did not matter how many of the hellhounds had fallen in exchange.

Daddy was dead. Again.

The weight of it hit him hard, as did another tree. Sunshy fell to the ground, knowing he must be suffering serious concussions. That did not matter. Nothing mattered. Everything was going to hell all over again. That was what life did to him.

He had a happy family; him, mommy, and daddy.

Daddy died in an accident working on the SPP.

Mommy worked all the time to make enough money to keep him fed. He always ate less than he should, to let mom eat as much as she could. Every meal was an argument over who should eat more. It always ended in laughter and hugs. She loved him so much that she had to tell him all the time. Then they would argue who loved whom more.

Fell from the sky.

Adopted by manticores that all but gave him his cutie mark. They loved him and cared for him, even if their diet was not to his tastes. He had another family, a home away from home.

Then mommy came for him. In the span of a few minutes, he had hope of going home. Sadness of leaving his new family. Then he had to give up his hope of home altogether. All because he was a good pony.

Now, his carelessness killed his daddy. They had wandered into hellhound territory and did not leave soon enough. Now daddy was dead and life sucked and meow. What?

Sniffling, Sunshy lifted his head from his hooves and looked over. Celly was standing next to him, staring down at her brother. She mewled and licked off the tears flowing down his face. Then she wormed her way under his leg and snuggled against his body. The colt buried his face in her warm fur, letting out his tears in her side as she did the same.

Awaking slowly, Sunshy was gripped with the fear of not knowing where he was, how he got here, or when he had fallen asleep. A breathing body told him Celly was beside him, he held his hooves around her. Realization dawned upon him as he looked around. They were inside Drakon’s cave. The shiny gems and giant dragon sort of gave it away. The oddest thing was the two mutated, almost furless bears lying around the two, sleeping soundly. Strangely, they were not the smelliest things he had encountered.

“Ah, I see you’re awake.” Drakon observed in his indoor voice. His head snaked closer to them. Golden eyes misted in sorrow, soundless tears streaked down his scaly face. “I am so sorry for what happened, Sunshy. I should have warned you about the hellhounds.”

“No…I should be sorry.” Sunshy replied with a hung head.

“Don’t even blame yourself, child. You had no idea they were there.” A scaled un-clawed hand reached out and rubbed the yellow colt’s held.

“But—“ Sunshy tried to argue, but the sympathetic look hardened. There was no room to argue. So, he switched topics. “How did you know?”

“The Yao Guai told me. They also brought you and Celly to me.” Drakon answered, allowing the topic change.

“Why? Why would they do that for me?”

“Because you have a way with animals, Sunshy.”

“It just…it seems weird that they’d help me when I can’t do anything in return.” Sunshy rubbed a leg with a hoof as he scanned the patchy brown and green bodies.

“The thing about animals is that they, unlike ponies, expect nothing in return. When you care for them as a whole, they do the same. Fluttershy had some trouble sometimes, but her will always won out.”

“Like the time with the Cockatrice and her power of ‘The Stare’?” Sunshy asked, revealing his inner Fluttershy-nerd.

Drakon smiled and nodded. “Sunshy, I was thinking that, as Celly is much too small to protect you, I’ll take you up on your offer. You two may live here, with me, even inside the Stable. If you want to, that is.”

Instead of the joy the dragon expected, Sunshy looked to be on the verge of tears once again. “I don’t have much of a choice. I don’t think I can go back to Zecora’s hut after…”

“I understand.” Drakon nudged the yellow colt’s chin with his snout. “Why not explore the Stable? I’ll stay here and wait for Celly to awaken.”

Feeling rather numb, Sunshy nodded and stood. He noticed the absence of his saddlebags, but found them only a few feet away. After slipping them on, he flew to the cog-shaped door. Its imposing size loomed over him, threatening to fall and flatten him into a pancake. The blinking lights off to the side caught his attention.

Keeping his cerulean eyes on the door, the colt walked to the stand that had a lever and two lights, one flashing red and one dim green. Standing like a biped, Sunshy placed his front hooves on the lever and pushed with all his might. No amount of grunting, panting, flying and pulling, bucking, or anything Sunshy did moved the lever. He really hated being weak.

Then a really big paw with sharp claws and greenish skin and little fur pushed the lever for him as if it was buttered up. Looking over his shoulder, Sunshy gave the Yao Guai his thanks. It grunted at him and lumbered back to the others, sniffed at Celly’s sleeping form, and lied back down.

With a great whoosh, expelling of stale air that blew his red mane and tail back, a few low buzzes of warnings, and red flashing lights, the Stable door opened. From the outside, Sunshy could not see how it opened, but the door to Stable 15 was pulled back and then rolled out of the way. Looking over to the group, he saw everyone but Drakon was still asleep. Then he looked back to the stable.

Cautiously, the timid colt walked forward with his head down and ears flat. The lights inside were brightly lit, showing the pristine sterile environment inside. Too preoccupied gazing at the ceiling and walls, Sunshy did not notice walking onto tiled floor. The transition was such a shock that he flew straight up, into the ceiling, and bumped his head. Ow, he really needed to make sure he did not have a concussion; well, he had gone to sleep and did not die, so that was a good sign.

Now prepared, Sunshy floated down to the ground and shivered at the cool surface. Clouds were always warm thanks to Celestia’s sun. The ground was usually warm on a nice day. But this…it was corpse cold. A shiver went down his spine at the thought and the cold floor.

Still exhausted, Sunshy decided he might as well walk instead of fly. So he walked forward into the brightness of Stable 15. A few steps in and he came upon a decision to make. Which way to go? There were two door, one to his left and one in front.

Sickly green light caught his attention. Sunshy walked to the source, finding a pre-war terminal sitting on a table next to the switch identical to the one outside. The desk was in pristine condition; it seemed the inhabitants had cleaned up before leaving.

Curious as to this non-pegasus technology, Sunshy pressed a button with his hoof. The screen popped up with the Pipbuck stallion and his knowing smile. Then it changed to a map of the stable, even labeling certain areas. There was even a cord next to the computer that went into his Pipbuck. What luck! Now he couldn’t get lost!

Dampened spirits rose ever so slightly at the bit of luck. If he ever met a descendent from the stable, he’d have to thank them for being so helpful right off the bat. However, his mind still weighed on the recent misfortune, so his bought of happiness did not last long.

Turning away from the terminal, Sunshy decided to follow the map to the Atrium. Along the way, he decided to explore, hoping it would get his mind off…yeah. The first room he found was closed, but a quick button pressing opened it up. It opened from the top and bottom, sliding into the unknown! Most doors opened in or out, but that was so cool!

Sunshy poked his nose around everything he could. The bed was surprisingly soft; he made a note to make one room his own or move a mattress outside to Drakon. The dressers were empty. There was a cradle for a baby, but all the toys were taken. The place was cleaned out. Seemed like they knew they were never coming back. The glow of a poison apple once again caught his attention. Wondering what this one might hold, Sunshy went over to the terminal.

That was when he learned about terminals having locks. Didn’t matter, Sunshy was a buck of science!

It took him thirty tries.

The password was ‘Striped’.

His head hit the desk and a mantra of “stupid, stupid, stupid” followed every head-bang. With a serious headache in the works, Sunshy decided to take a look at the terminal. It had better be worth that stupid headache. Owie.

Day 1

Great, just fucking great. I’m stuck here in this hellhole with goddamn ponies when I should be out fighting for Caesar. The only reason I’m stuck here is because of my kids. Damn it all if I let them die. Not for the stupidity of those damn ponies. They were the ones who started the war! We’re just ending it for good.

I’d rather live outside with the dragon and radiation. And our “overmare” and “overstallion” told us that we have to all get along? Please. I’m here for my kids, nothing else. Sure, I said on my report that I love ponies as well as a zebra. What a load of bullshit. I hate them all. Those stupid way-too-fucking-bright monstrosities.

Blushing furiously at the amount of profanity, Sunshy coughed into his hoof. The writer had gone into a tangent in zebra. He made a note to learn it someday, but he suspected that this author was only swearing in his native tongue. Then it went back to pony language.

Day 20

I love ponies. They’re all so nice and wonderful. My kids are just smitten with their teacher, Miss Shine. I’m not ashamed to admit that I am too. Since the loss of my mate…it’s been tough. Miss Shine is in the same situation, and we just hit it off.

We talked a lot and came to realize a lot of things. Neither side wanted this war, hell, the ponies didn’t really understand what had happened in their Princess’s school. We aren’t the only ones talking. Everyone seems to be working out their bigotry. Most of these ponies and zebras were sympathetic to begin with, but they still had some racist ideas deep down.

Everyone is helping each other. It’s so nice. I don’t even know how this happened. I guess it’s just what happens when you give others a chance. Stop being so blinded and see the world for what it is and how others see it. Too bad that world is irradiated all to hell. I hope that dragon is doing okay.

Wow, what a change. Just nineteen days changed a zebra that much? Then Sunshy reflected on his past few days. Yeah, a lot can happen in moments, changing your whole life. Just like how the Megaspells changed the world in minutes.

There were some more logs in the terminal, but they fluctuated between zebra and…things a colt his age should not be reading. Seemed this mysterious writer and Miss Shine got real friendly. Thanks to that, they had a kid together, and it came with a picture! Sunshy said “d’awwwww” out loud at the foal. She was light purple with darker stripes, a short mane that flopped over, in a pink blanket, sucking on a binky, and staring at the camera with the biggest brown eyes! Oh Goddesses, it was too cute!

Smiling, Sunshy turned the terminal off and walked out through the hallway into the room across the hall. The first thing he noticed was a safe, still closed and locked. But then there was a terminal, too. Since he had no idea how to open a safe, the colt went to the terminal.

Determined to open it sooner, Sunshy got to work on finding the password. However, he soon found he had no idea what he was doing with a terminal locked so hard. Giving up, he pushed away from the terminal and poked around the room.

Inside the dresser was a holodisk with the password; Tolerance. Giggling, Sunshy unlocked the terminal and found that he could unlock the safe. No wonder it was so difficult. With a push of a button, the safe’s door was unlocked. However, there were some diary logs, so he decided to read those before looking in the safe.

Day 1

That zebra across the hall is not a pony sympathizer. I went to greet him and he spit on me! What a jerk. I told our Overmare, but she just said to give him a chance. Our zebra Overstallion told me the same thing. I briefly wondered how smart it was to have two rulers at once. Then I realized that was a little racist of me; Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ruled just fine…at first. But that’s not important now.

Anyway, I am a pony. And as a pony, I will love and tolerate the shit out of that zebra! I think his name is Razor. Wonder why.

Day 40

I found out why his name is Razor. He has shoes with retractable spikes in them. Nopony believes me, but damn did I feel them. The medics believed me and went to talk with him. Only the zebra got away unscathed. They wanted to throw him out, but the Overmare and Overstallion said no. It’s too irradiated outside now. And we don’t have a prison.

So I went to talk with him right after typing my first journal log, telling him I’d tolerate him and all that. I thought he’d open up or something, but nope. He bucked me in the side, broke three ribs, and punctured something, too. I only just got out of Medical today. Still hurts to breathe a little, but the medics gave me the a-okay.

While spending my month there, I kept staring at a door. It was locked the whole time, and I wondered what was behind it. I felt like it was taunting me, holding secrets. I got a book on lock picking, a screwdriver, and a buttload of bobbypins. I intend to go try my horn at opening it sometime soon.

Along with the lock picking book, the Overstallion gave me a book called Fallen Caesar Style. Apparently, it’s the melee that most zebras train in. He said that reading it would help me in case I accidentally piss off another zebra. He stressed that he wanted me to learn how to recognize the moves to avoid another injury and not to learn how to fight back.

Fluttershy chose all of us for our passive natures. I don’t know how true that is. I mean, sure, we all know her as the Ministry of Peace mare. I only know of a couple ponies and zebras here who were actually hoof-picked by her. The rest just got in because they filled out a form, like me.

Ugh, my side is killing me. I’m going to take a nap. I put everything in the safe; just to be sure no one knows what I’m up to.

Day 200

Things are still going great, oddly enough. Everyone’s getting along swimmingly. It’s been almost a year, and there are a lot of new foals and colts. I have to wonder if there’s something in the vents to make us all horny. But damn if these little mix-and-match zebra and pony babies aren’t the cutest things I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a picture of Fluttershy as a foal.

I gotta say I was really shocked at the change in Razor. When I got back from my major side injuries, he apologized. I thought it was because the Overmare’s daughter was standing next to him. Apparently that was the case, but not for the reason I assumed.

I guess all anyone with a hardened heart really needs is some love. I tried telling him that the first day. All I got was a buck to the side and she gets another kind of bucking. Can’t say I’m not jealous. Razor is one lucky stallion.

Day 7509

Sorry for the twenty-something year hiatus, journal. Never had a need to say anything. But now…

Okay, things aren’t as great as we hoped. Nothing as sinfully cute as a zebony or ponbra could come without a catch. Turns out they’re all sterile. I guess for all we try, zebras and ponies were not meant to be so close.

It breaks the Overmare and Overstallion’s hearts. They have one of their own, and he’s just too great. A medic, if you can believe it. And a downright prodigy, too. He’s in love with some real nice mare, but they wondered what was wrong after a few tries and nothing.

Breaks everyone’s hearts, really. I have a buck of my own, and he’s had his eye on this zebra for a while now. When the news came out, he fell into a depression. He had been telling me for months about the kids they would have and the grandkids and so on and so on. Then this bombshell was dropped on us. I don’t blame him for being depressed.

The worst thing was when the Overmare issued a new law. Ponies mate with ponies and zebras mate with zebras from now on. It’s the only way to ensure we keep making new generations in this stable. It all depends upon us. She won’t stop those already together with kids, but the younger generation has to mate with their own from now on.

Oh, I found out what was behind that door. I don’t want to talk about it. Not after this. It’s…it’s nothing.

Hiding under a red mane, Sunshy’s ears were flattened in sorrow. That was so sad, loving someone and having a baby only to find their baby can never have any kids of their own. It must have been torture for the parents, forcing their kids to love their own kind even if they loved another.

Depression had shoved away whatever little joy Sunshy had found earlier. He slinked over to the safe, head down with his heavy thoughts. Sighing, he nosed it open and looked inside. As the terminal said, there were two books, which he placed in his saddlebag on top of his jewels. Along with them went the screwdriver and bobbypins, just in case he wanted to learn how to open a safe.

Sunshy walked out of the room, following the map on his Pipbuck. He only stopped to get a drink of water from the fountain and take care of business in the bathroom. Turned out that the medical room was on the way to the Atrium. As he was severely diminished in supplies, Sunshy decided to scavenge. All of his tools were replace with sterile ones, and he had to use a cloth saddlebag to hold all the bandages, drugs, and healing potions he found.

A loud meowing echoed off the walls. Sunshy called out to Celly and stood at the door to the medical ward. A few minutes later, the manticore baby bounded up to him and tackled him with all her might. Once she got off, Celly helped her brother pick up his things that she had spilled from his saddle boxes. A smile tugged at his muzzle. He rubbed his snout on her head and offered soothing words before organizing his things.

Sunshy’s medical supply saddlebag was placed on Celly. She tried to adjust it to a spot where she could open her wings and still hold it, but it was not happening. Giving up, she resigned to have the saddlebags keep her wings down. The yellow colt nuzzled her face before turning and walking out into the hallway, felling much better with Celly at his side.

Along the way to the Atrium, Sunshy found a lot of posters. They were all about ponies and zebras living together in harmony. Some posters were torn down the middle; he guessed that they were posters about love. The sterility thing must have really hit everyone hard.

They stopped to look inside the classroom. Along the top were the pony alphabet and the zebra alphabet. A quick check of the posters about learning—many featuring Twilight Sparkle!—showed the same thing. The books were the same; one half pony, one half zebra. Sunshy wanted to take them, but had no room.

The Atrium was not as great as the colt had hoped. There were pool tables, fooseball tables, and a couple Sparkle~Cola vending machines. He decided that he could spare a couple bits for the soda. It had nothing to do with the fact that Fluttershy was advertising them, nope.

Popping the cap off, Sunshy took a swig of the surprisingly cold soda. Holy horsefeathers was this good! It was so sweet and tasted like carrots! Holding the carroty cola in his mouth, Sunshy decided to find his way up to the Overmare and Overstallion’s offices.

The Sparkle~Cola was finished and disposed of in a trash can before he found their room. Surprisingly, the door was not locked. Inside, the tile ended and the floor was covered in something soft and fabric. What was it again? Oh yeah, carpet. That was what ground ponies and unicorns used to imitate the soft clouds. It was not really a good imitation.

The office was one large room. There was a big half circle desk near the back and a wall of screens. They were all black; the cameras must have been off. There were cabinets that Sunshy poked through. He found a safe near the back, locked. Lucky for him, there was a computer built into the bottom of the wall of screens.

It took a long time to crack the code, long enough for Celly to take a catnap. When he got it, Sunshy laughed in triumph and unlocked the safe with a press of his hoof. A bite on his mane told him that he had awoken Celly from her nap. He did not care one bit! That darn terminal was his bitch! Oh Goddesses, did he really think that?!

Feeling rather guilty, Sunshy went to the safe and pulled it open. Inside were a few papers, most of them trying to figure out why the offspring of zebras and ponies were sterile. There was also a pistol and some ammo. A holotape lied behind it.

Being extra careful not to touch the weapon, Sunshy grabbed the holotape and linked it with his Pipbuck. A recording started to play. In Fluttershy’s voice! But she sounded sad and her voice was thick. She must have been crying.

”Uhm, he-hello there. My name is Fluttershy, the Ministry Mare of the Ministry of Peace. I…I couldn’t end the war. I tried so hard, but I just couldn’t. I’m so sorry.”

She broke down into tears, and the softness suggested she had turned away from the microphone during the recording. Sunshy felt his heart breaking.

”I’m so sorry about that. I asked Scootaloo to let me speak for this one, and I must. I must!…I must. I have entrusted this very special Stable to you, Daisy Shine and you, Zenno. Ponies and zebras have to learn how to get along, so I have only those who already love each other living here. I just hope everything goes well.

Please…let them go as I hope…I need it to…please…forgive me.”

“I forgive you, Fluttershy.” Sunshy whispered to the holotape as Fluttershy dissolved into sobs again. It ended abruptly when her sobbing became heavy crying.

Wiping away the tear rolling down his face, Sunshy got up and walked out of the Overmare and Overstallion’s office. Celly walked beside him in silence, unsure what she could do to help him. In silence, they exited Stable 15 without taking anything other than the medical supplies. Once outside, they were greeted by Drakon and noticed the Yao Guai were gone.

“Sunshy, I’d like to teach you Zebra, if you would like.” Drakon offered as the siblings sat down before him. Cerulean eyes widened at him, and he chuckled. Smoke rose from his nostrils, terrifying Celly.

“Why? Not that I don’t want to, but—“

“Because the texts inside are all half zebra. I’m sure a curious colt like you would love to learn. It may come in handy someday.”

“I’d love to, Drakon!”

“We can start right now.”

Days passed into weeks. Those changed into months. Seasons passed, as did the years. Sunshy and Celly grew up in comfort in the Stable. Boy did Celly grow. She went from the timid little Manticore smaller than the gangly colt to towering as large as her father. Though she lacked the wild mane, as all female Manticore did, it did not lessen her terrifying presence. It helped that Drakon and the wild animals of the Everfree Forest taught her to toughen up. She wanted to protect her little brother.

Said brother was not so little. He had grown rather well into his body. Though he had no other ponies to compare to, Sunshy was sure he was rather tall for a pony. Despite this, his strength had not grown in the least. Indeed, his legs were more feminine than he would have liked. At the very least, his face was not nearly so round as a filly’s. His mane, though, had grown as long as Fluttershy’s, despite Drakon insisting he should cut it. He liked it long; it was easier to hide his face.

Drakon fulfilled his promise and taught Sunshy how to speak and read fluently in Zebra. The books inside the Stable were of great help, especially the discovered library. Through this, he soaked up knowledge about the zebra’s history, culture, beliefs, and how they compared and contrasted to those of the pony.

Sunshy loved every minute of his life. There was more than enough food left over for him, even without the grass. Some of it was stored away in Celly’s much large saddles—ones for a Manticore of her size. She also held any scavenged items that they thought might be of worth someday. Both of Sunshy’s boxes held his medical supplies, so Celly held the gems and every other item. To his dismay, that included whatever weapons they found. Not only were there guns, but melee weapons powered with gems of zebra design.

Life was grand again. The Wasteland hated that. So it could not last forever.

Fire.

The acrid smell of smoke invaded Sunshy’s nostrils. Coughing harshly, he woke and saw Drakon at the mouth of the cave, breathing fire at some unseen enemy. Just behind him was Celly, her saddlebags strapped to her body and her wings stretched out. She turned and yowled at Sunshy, telling him to come forward.

Keeping his head down from the layer of smoke entering the top of the cave, Sunshy slipped on his saddle box before he cantered over to his family. Drakon wasn’t breathing fire at all. His large wings were open and beating, trying to keep the smoke and fire outside at bay.

The Everfree Forest was on fire.

“Sunshy, I fear your time here has come to a close.” Drakon told him through a growl. There was a sheen of sweat coating his scales. His face was scowling in anger and exhaustion.

“What?! What’s going on, Drakon?!” Sunshy shouted, hating that he was forced to keep to the ground.

”I do not know, but these ponies are burning the forest. I fear what they will do if they find this place. Leave now, while you have a chance.”

“I’m not leaving you!” Sunshy shouted at him defiantly. Not again. No, he can’t…

”Sunshy.” Drakon turned his head down to the pony. ”I love you and Celly as my own and I know you feel the same. That is exactly why I am telling you to leave. Go east, as far into the east as your wings can take you. My children and their children live there, perhaps you will find them if you are lucky.”

“What about you?” Sunshy asked with his heart in his throat. Drakon smiled at him.

”I will do as Fluttershy asked so long as I have life in these veins. Besides, I cannot leave even if I wanted to. I will not give up my treasure to those who would use my gems to fuel weapons of destruction. Do not fear for my sake, children. I need you to leave. For me.” He smiled with love at his children.

Tears streaming down his face, Sunshy nodded. Celly flapped her strong bat wings and soared out of the cave, circled in the air, and then set off into the east. The yellow stallion rose up to become eye-level with Drakon, kissed him on the snout, and then turned and left the cave.

Coughing, he flew through the curtain of smoke and broke through the surface. Surveying below, he saw that only a few portions were engulfed in flame. His home was on fire. It was being destroyed. And yet, he knew it would not go as whoever planned this had hoped. The forest was magical in its own right. It would not yield to any creature and any weapons.

A roar startled Sunshy, catching his attention. Floating above the cave was Celly, waiting for him. Nodding, he leveled out and flew as fast as his grown wings would allow; once he passed, Celly flew beside him, her larger wings needing to beat once for every few times his beat. Miles and miles of the forest passed under the two.

The forest gave way to dark brown death of Equestria. The ground was spotted with destroyed buildings, cities, and other miscellaneous things. Hours passed. Celestia’s sun rose above and into the east. Brown only below them sped away. Exhaustion overcame Sunshy at high noon. He had slowed his pace long ago, but his endurance could not last forever.

Once he began to dip, Celly allowed him to lie on her back as she easily cut through the air. Using the warm updrafts of the ground, she easily glided more than flew. The sun sank into the west faster as they sped into the east. Still, Celly did not slow.

The scenery down below changed slightly. The brown was not so…unnatural. It seemed as though it had always been a golden brown. The trees were spotty, but struggling to grow leaves. The brush life was also brown, but it fit in. The scenery was exactly what Sunshy’s books described a Savannah; they were entering the Zebra homeland.

A group of tents made of animal hides and concrete buildings was a clear sign of a town. The smoke rising from the spot stated it was inhabited. By what, they would soon find out.

Celly tucked her wings to her body and dove purposely at their target. When they were getting close to crashing, both winged creatures shot out their wings, catching the air and parachuting up higher. Sunshy had left Celly’s back and could see the streams of air around the edges of her wings.

Gliding down, Sunshy fluttered his wings against the ground, kicking up dirt, and touched down. Celly mimicked his actions, though her landing was enough to kick up a good cloud of dust. Muscle mass did that.

Sunshy dug around in her saddlebag and pulled out a white flag with Fluttershy’s cutie mark; it symbolized not only peace, but that he was a healer.Sunshy tied the flag around his sister’s scorpion tail, which she raised above her head. It flapped in the wind, but its message had to be clear. At least they hoped so.

The duo had landed a few hundred yards from the town/city/whatever it was. Sunshy decided that it would be best if they approached from the ground and at a slow pace. Seem as unintimidating as possible. So he set off at a brisk pace, which was a mere walk for his large sister.

As they approached the area inhabited, Sunshy saw a caravan pulled by a large stallion. A pony in zebra lands? Smiling, Sunshy cantered over to the caravan, trying to seem friendly. However, the pony gasped at the sight of Celly, quickly turned his caravan around, and fled back into the town. Disheartened, the yellow stallion continued his walk to the town slowly.

The entrance held a large wooden sign that was painted in zebra and pony. It read, “Welcome to Borderland. Raiders not welcome and will be shot on sight.” They seemed to take their policy seriously, as they had two heavily armored guards. Their armor was that of the Steel Rangers, but the black stripes pained on the case told Sunshy that zebra were inside the armor. Two rocket launchers were aimed at the two, making them freeze. The ground before them was dotted with craters.

“Identify yourself, pony.” The zebra on the left demanded in a heavy accent.

“I am Sunshy, a healer. This is my adopted sister Celly. I swear she is not dangerous.” Sunshy consoled, trying to sound brave, but not hostile.

“E.F.S. says they’re both friendlies.” The one on the right told the other in zebra.

“I can see that.” The first one rebutted. ”Knock them out.”

“Wait! We’re not host---“ Sunshy was unable to finish arguing.

A hoof had slammed into a spot on the back of his neck and he fell down, hard. Celly roared and swiped at the empty air. She caught nothing, but received a hit in the same spot. She yowled before falling onto her side, as unconscious as her brother.

A zebra pulled back the hood of his invisibility cloak, revealing his body to sight. He stared down at the pony and manticore he had knocked out under orders. Guilt twisted in his gut at the sight. A sigh escaped him.

”Good work. Now drag them to the prison and make sure the manticore is unable to fight.” A guard ordered.

”Right.” The zebra sighed again. He hated his job.

Level up! You are now level 4!

Science at 25.

Perk added! Ferocious Loyalty: Your great personality inspires love in all your friends. Whenever you’re in danger, they temporarily gain +25% to their damage resistance.

Companion perk! Goddess Celestia, it’s a manticore, get in the car!: Your companion Celly is downright terrifying. Whenever she is around and active, your enemies lose their nerve and 50% of their critical chance. You’re able to avoid most fights and can gain some dialogue options.