• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 3,368 Views, 44 Comments

A Legend Is Born - Shadowmane PX-41



Twilight is so excited to have been transferred to the ponyville kindergarten class. She was told she would have to do some great things before making it to Canterlot High in the future. Here's how she got on...

  • ...
16
 44
 3,368

A Lesson In Numbers

As the light returned to the Twinkles classroom, it had already stirred some of the sleeping children, but not all of them. Once she had noticed some students were still asleep, Miss Twinkleshine gave them a little pat on the forehead to help them wake back up.

For some reason, she always seemed to favor Twilight, since she'd seen that Twilight was pretty well co-ordinated, so she left Twilight to get a tiny bit more sleep as she attended to the rest of the kids.

"Good afternoon, everyone." She said as she gently awoke the children from their slumber, rubbing their still drowsy foreheads to help them up. "I trust your naps helped you get your energy back?"

Some of the children made their responses, but the others just nodded. As for Twilight, she was still asleep, even through all the awakened voices. Twilight was a heavy sleeper once she got into a nap, that much was certain.

Eventually, Twilight had awoken from her nap, she stirred a little and made light noises as she rubbed her eyes open. It was hard for her tiny eyes to adjust to the light, but when she did, she was met with Twinkleshine, who in turn, was looking down at her with a happy smile.

"Afternoon, Twilight." She smiled as she wrapped her hands around Twilight and gently lifted her up and out of her crib. Twilight felt a mixture of drowsy and happy when she finally got out of that crib.

"Afternoon, Miss Twinkleshine." Twilight responded lightly with a smile.

"Was it a nice nap?" Said the teacher to the child, both of them getting a sense of trust, and welcome thoughts swirling in their heads.

"Ooh, yes. I think it was divine." Twilight smiled as she did her best to recall her dreams. "I dreamt that I was a princess of my own kingdom, watching over all the people and animals whilst I wore the most shiniest of jewels."

"Yoo wemembew aww dat?" Dashie asked, with a curious look on her face as she was brought up to Twilight's elevation. "I can't even wemembew fawwing asweep."

"It's not that hard." Twilight said as the two of them were checked for wetness. "You just have to keep thinking about your memories to remember them."

"Well, I can see how that could distract one's body." Twinkleshine said as she finally felt Twilight's shame in the form of a wet diaper.

"What does that mean?" Twilight asked as she looked down at her moistened diaper and blushed as the realization had hit her.

"Don't be ashamed of it, Twilight. It's a natural thing." Twinkleshine said as she got the rest of the kids out of their respective cribs. "It's something that kids your age are meant to have. You'll get more control of it when you grow up."

"Well... Okay then." Twilight smiled as she accepted Twinkleshine's logic. Sure she was quite a capable young toddler, but even Twilight had to put up with the fact that her bladder control was just as weak as the rest of class.

"Now then, let's get the wet ones changed." Twinkleshine placed all of the kids with wet diapers in a single file line, as she couldn't change all of them at once. "Twilight, I'll start with you first. Come on up, darling."

As Twinkleshine removed the wet diaper from Twilight's bottom, Twilight felt a sense of naked shame, she blushed a little more until she felt a brand-new, powdered diaper touch her bottom. Once it was wrapped up nice and snug, Twilight giggled as she was let down to the rest of the room around her.

"Thanks, Miss Twinkleshine." Twilight smiled at her teacher as she went over to the nearby books and picked out a book for her to read through whilst she waited. She found a fairytale involving a girl with a red hoodie and an anthro wolf who disguised himself as the girl's granny.


Once everyone was changed into cleaner diapers, Twinkleshine gathered them into a semi-circle once more, so that the next activity on the row of lesson balls was taken into account. It was entitled Maths, Something that Twilight was looking forward to.

"Alright then, my little Twinkles. It's time to teach you how to count." Twinkleshine said as she got something from behind her to demonstrate. "Do you see what this is?"

Twilight raised her hand, waiting for Twinkleshine to answer her. Twilight wanted to be the first kid to get the answer and explain to everyone, but for some surprising reason, there was no reaction from Twinkleshine.

"Twilight, I didn't mean it as a question. I was showing it to the class." She said as she finally noticed Twilight had stopped. "I'll ask a question once I'm done explaining. THEN you can answer it."

"Okay." Twilight said, hanging her head a little as she allowed Twinkleshine to continue with her explanation.

"As I was saying, this is a ball, just a regular ball." She showed it so that everyone in the class had a very good look at the ball on display, she then reached back for another. "But when I pick up another and place it here, I now have two balls."

"Alright now. Can everyone in the room say one?" She asked, looking at the kids eagerly. "It's not so hard. Go on, give it a try."

All of the kids tried piecing together the word one with their mouths, but their lack of teeth was making it a little bit harder for them. As much as Twilight had been saying one, almost to the point where it felt ridiculous, Twinkleshine waited for the rest of the class to say one.

"One!" Said one of the students. They all stopped and looked in the direction of the toddler who had said one.

It was Fluttershy, standing up (With great difficulty) so that she could address her teacher directly. "One, um... Does dat count?"

"Yes it does, Fluttershy. Well done." Twinkleshine commended Fluttershy for saying that one word. "You've earned a gold star for your knowledge." Twinkleshine walked over to a chart which Twilight swore had been made whilst she and the class had been napping.

"Now listen up, my little Twinkles. This chart is important." She said as she placed a star on Fluttershy's row, which was underneath Twilight's and over Silver Spoon's. "This chart can only be filled with golden stars, which are earned through good behaviour."

"Once it is filled with 10 of these golden stars, the child with the ten stars can play freely for one session, no matter what lesson or activity is scheduled." She explained further. "Since Fluttershy here was smart and said one straight away, she gets a star to start with. Nine more and she can do whatever she wants during a later session."

"Weawwy?" Fluttershy asked, looking quite perked up and intrigued by what her ears had been listening to. There was no way that any one of her age, not ever her, would ever pass up an opportunity to play and be the toddler that they truly are.

"Yes. But that will come soon, in time." She said as she returned to the ball that the children had been primarily been focusing on. "Can anyone else say one?"

"One!" Came from many other children after that, in a rapid chain of consecutive responses. There was Dashie, Lyra, Twist, Scootaloo, Rarity, Diamond Tiara, Sweetie Belle, and then Pinkie, to put a long chain of consecutive responses short.

"Well, looks like I'm hearing a lot of progress." Twinkleshine smiled as she pulled out another ball from behind and placed it next to the first one. "But now, how many balls do I have?"

This got the students to calm down a little and think about the sudden change that Twinkleshine had just made. And while Twilight knew the answer, she decided not to raise her arm this time and wait for one of the others.

"It's alright, class. This is why you're here, to learn about these sorts of things." Twinkleshine smiled as they all sat down once more. "When you add one to another, it becomes two. Now you, I'd like to hear you say two."

"Two!" A voice said, it wasn't Twilight nor any of the students who had answered before. It turned out to be a little girl with double-toned, spiky blue hair. "Just wike da numbew of tuwntabwes my dada uses ta mix his beats."

"Wow, Vinyl. That was impressive." Twinkleshine's jaw dropped for another time today. "You've learned the word two straight off the bat." She said as she planted another golden star on the chart, this time on Vinyl's row.

"Tanks, Miss Twinkweshine." Vinyl smiled as she waited for the rest of the kids to follow suit and say two as well.

"Well then, it seems she's finished announcing her success." Said Twinkleshine as she was eager to hear the rest of her class. "What about the rest of you? Can you follow Vinyl's example and say two?"

"Two!" Came from many of the other children, desperate for adoration and gold stars. They knew something as valuable as gold stars would not slip out of their fingers like sand . Once everyone had said it, they all sat back down and waited for Twinkleshine to continue.

"Well now, you all seem to be catching on now. Well done." She commended all the kids once they had sat down. Even Twilight had to admit, she felt a little happier with the fact that she didn't have to be first to answer everything.

"But take one more ball, and then what do you get?" She said, keeping that smile up as she addressed all of them once more.

This time, Twilight didn't even bother to answer, as she knew she had to wait for someone else to answer. But to her surprise, everyone else in the class was confused. They could get one and two down, but this next number intrigued them.

"Well. I guess I expected no reactions here. Not to worry." She said as she decided to put the toddlers at ease with some calming words. "When you add one to two, you get three. I'll say it first, then you. Three."

"Thwee!" Came from the enitre class, almost in a perfect unison, save for those who said it a tad earlier or later than the rest. Twilight was the only one who said it precisely, but that was expected, the other children were still toothless.

"Well now. I think you're all getting the hang of this." Twinkleshime smiled as everyone in the class listened well. "That's right. You're learning fast, aren't you?"

"Well, I think now's a great time to recap what you've learned." Twinkleshine thought of a great idea to root that lesson into their minds "I'll count upwards from one, just repeat what I say, alright?"

"Otay." The class giggled, all except for Twilight, who had said it normally. You see, since her teeth were just beginning to grow, she was able to say words with a little more control so that others could understand her easier.

"Alright then, just repeat after me." She said as she began the process. "One..."

"One!" Came from the class, remembering what they had learned.

"Two..." Twinkleshine continued on with the next number in the sequence, keeping her composure as she held it for the others to answer.

"Two!" The children responded one more time, keeping up with the stuff they had already learned. They were fine with remembering the stuff they had learned.

"Three!" She said, letting off a big cheer at the end to here an excited response from the class.

"Thwee!" The class all cheered, happily exclaiming the final word and ending the session. Everyone in the class was excited, even Twilight had to admit, this was pretty fun. Learning like this was really gonna get Twilight's hopes up for the rest of her term here.

"There we go, now you've learned it. And in a record time as well." Twinkleshine smiled as she put the three balls she had been using to demonstrate back away where she had found them. "You can also count with many other things like toys, blocks, you can even count with your own fingers." She demonstrated for everyone as she got back onto her knees.

"Go ahead, try finding something around the room that you can count with." She got back up to her feet and leaned against the wall. "I'll let you all look around and find something to count with." She said, dispersing the students that had gathered around her.

Quickly after the group had dispersed, they were instantly enamored with things to count with. They used a wide variety of things to count with, namely blocks and dolls, all the usual things. The only one who was using their fingers was Twilight, just remembering that she had fingers to count with.

"Weww, I tink dat was a good wesson." Dashie said as she and her friends regrouped with Twilight. "So, now we know how ta count. ta thwee."

"Why don't we twy wid each othew?" Rarity got the idea after she noticed they were a group all along. "Wet's see if we can get anyting bettew dan thwee."

"One." They started to count up together, remembering closely what everyone else had been saying.

"Two." They continued, keeping the integrity of their lesson in check.

"Thwee." Everyone said, even Twilight was starting to let the silliness get to her.

"Awwight den. Does anyone ewse know wat comes aftew thwee?" Rarity asked the group, hoping that someone would give her an answer.

"Dat's easy. It's umm..." Pinkie started, but then stopped with a brief pause as she didn't know the answer to the question at hand. "Uum, howd on, it's wight on da tip of my toungue..."

"Four." Twilight said, showing a hint of smugness as she revealed the answer to the rest of the group. "The answer's four."

"Fouw? Nevew heawd of it." Fluttershy said as she lightly addressed the rest of them kindly.

"Don't worry. You'll learn it another day." Twilight said, making Fluttershy feel more at ease with the pink-haired toddler.

"Weww den, wet's weawnpway." Applejack said, crawling over to the nearby scattering of dolls.

"Weawnpway?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah, it's a mixtuwe between pwaytime and weawning. Pwetty cwevew huh?" Applejack explained.

"Oh, you mean Learnplay." Twilight said, saying it properly. "I get what you mean, Applejack."

"Weww, awwight den." Dashie said, following the rest of the group as they went over to Applejack as well. "I guess dewe's noting wong wid weawning and pwaying at da same time."

And with that, the six of them sat down at the dolls. Remembering what Twinkleshine had taught them, they proceeded to count the dolls they had, and even play with them during counting sessions. There was no denying it. These six would do great things together once they grew up. That much was certain.

Author's Note:

Well, that took longer than expected.

I wanted to get this chapter out sooner, but things happened one after the other, and I fell behind on it. Call of Duty Ghosts and WATCH_DOGS, not to mention Crimson Dragon. Those all made me fall behind on my writing. If this chapter came out before the 22nd of August, I made it in time, but if it was any time past that, I was at BUCK for the weekend.

In all honesty, I am convinced that everyone of the students in Equestria Girls is roughly the same age as each other, so if that sparks any confusion. That is my answer to end said confusion. If you have any different opinions, that is fine. That is ENTIRELY YOUR opinion.

As for a future chapter in this story, I'm considering adding the Dazzlings to a chapter in the future, but I'm gonna leave that decision until I've actually SEEN Equestria Girls 2, so that idea's on hold for the time being. But I will consider it, once I've seen Equestria Girls 2 for myself.

So, as for if you've seen this before the 22nd of August, I hope you enjoyed it, and for those of you seeing it after that time, I was at BUCK for the time I was off.

See ya round, guys. This is Shadowmane PX-41, signing off.