• Published 28th Jun 2014
  • 952 Views, 0 Comments

Shadow Flame - Shadow Flame



A story following the origin story. Read as Princess Twilight and the Elements of Harmony uncover one of Equestria's greatest mysteries: The Origin of Alicorns.

  • ...
 0
 952

History of Alicorns

... And although there is a spell that can transform a pony into an alicorn, there has been a unicorn who witnessed the birth of one of these alicorns without magic. Another mystery is the ratio of gender. All known alicorns are female. Some ponies believe that in the time before Equestria was founded male alicorns were as common as females. There are also rumors that all alicorns other than Princess Celestia and Princess Luna from that time were killed. All that I know is that alicorns are essentially immortal and are heralded as the strongest magic users of all known pony types, only being exceeded by the draconequus and centaur races. To quote an old friend, "Alicorns are too powerful for any mortal to harm or kill. Anyone can attest to the decline of this pony type because of the fact that, as their power as a species grew, so too did their desire for dominance. The only ones who won't wind up dying shall be those who possess a magic essential for our world to function properly." That was the last I ever saw of him. Shortly there after, two things happened; the alicorn species started to decline in Equestria, and the dark Lord Tirek came with intent on stealing pony magic. And so, I ask that if anyone reading this is crazy enough to try, help me find my friend. He may very well be the only one who can help bring the alicorn species back from the brink.

"Well, do you think that his 'friend' is Scorpan?" Twilight asked.

"I do not know," Princess Celestia said. "It may very well be that this 'friend' is another alicorn."

"The only way to know for sure would be to find him." Discord suggested. "This mysterious creature may very well be helpful for our plans."

"Look," Princess Luna said. "There's another page about this alicorn history."

"She's right." Twilight said. "But it is written in a language that I don't understand."

"I can understand it." Discord said. "Perhaps I can help here."

Moon Log: 3:45 am. It has been about thirty moons since last I saw any of the other alicorns I've worked with in the forging of the Elements of Harmony. I fear the worst for the other spirits. I worried that the energy I needed to expend in forging the Element of Magic would wind up being the most fatal task in forging them. If my magic weren't needed to help keep the Tree of Harmony from being discovered until it was big and strong enough to survive any kind of attack, I'd go right now. I fear that I may be the last alicorn as well. Even if the two new alicorn foals that were born manage to survive to reach mare-hood, there'd be no guarantee they'd stay pure to the survival of this planet. I know this sounds silly, and that I'm probably overreacting a bit, but I wish that I didn't have this sneaking suspicion that there are a group of about 147 alicorns planning on conquering this world. I took the time to make it impossible for anyone to get to the only naturally occurring portal to the world I, along with my brother and our friend, who shall remain unnamed, created for humans to exist. I also hid the various artifacts that enable travel between these worlds I didn't assign to the Order members in that world deep in the ground, save for a mirror that can only be used once every thirty moons. I asked my unicorn friend Star Swirl the Bearded to try his hoof at time travel, in an attempt to save the only ones who might be able to keep my worst fears and nightmares from coming to pass. I have to end this entry here. I hear someone coming with what sounds like a spear or ax. Should this be my last journal entry, I apologize in advance for any harm that may befall this world with my death.

"But, the world isn't in bad shape." Twilight said.

"I know." Princess Celestia said, trying to hold back tears. "He did everything he could to ensure our future."

"We have to find him. If he is in fact an alicorn, he should still be alive somewhere."

"Didn't you hear what I said?" Discord asked. "He could be dead."

"And he might not be." Twilight countered. "I'm going to go find him, if it's the last thing I do."

"Then I suggest," Princess Celestia said. "That you take your Ponyville friends with you. This concerns them too, as the current Spirits of Harmony."

"I won't let you down. I'll find him with help from my friends."

***

The reason that all current princesses of Equestria are alicorns while no other alicorns, especially male alicorns, are found is simple, yet complex. I wish it ultimately didn't have to come to this. The male alicorns, save for my brother and myself, were deemed too egomaniacal to let run around spreading their will. It would be a bigger problem than a thousand of the most powerful draconequus-species spell weavers ruling the world. I knew that I could trust Discord more than any male alicorn these days. One thing I noticed about alicorn parents is that in those with both parents being alicorns the foals are always alicorns. In couples with only one, there is no guarantee that any of the fillies or colts will be alicorns. That would ultimately be our greatest defense against an alicorn who wishes to rule our world. I've watched both Celestia and Luna grow up into the perfect alicorns to rule Equestria. I just wished that the Alicorn War of Power weren't occurring, so I may be there to help them. But I promise to return and do my part to keep Equestria a perfect place. Celestia, Luna, if either of you are currently reading this, I'm sorry. I'm truly, truly sorry.

Author's Note:

Well, go on. Comment. Tell me just how much you think it sucks. Just don't go trying to take anything you say back when I publish the action packed epic final battle of the story.