• Published 11th Aug 2014
  • 2,731 Views, 66 Comments

Matchmaker, Matchmaker... - ThunderChaserCreate



When Discord decides that Rainbow needs some softening up, what better to do than mess with her a bit?

  • ...
20
 66
 2,731

Applejack

"Applejack, hm?" Rarity repeated.

"Yeah... I figure, if anything's going to work, it'd be her over Twi..."

Rarity considered the pair. "Yes... I can see you two together."

Rainbow scoffed. "That's nice to know. Wish I could see us together... she'll probably end up being my first 'no.'"

"Aw." Rarity put a kind hoof on Rainbow's shoulder and smiled sweetly. "You need to have a little more confidence!"

"Yeah..."

"How about this: take a day off of this stress! You have plenty of time left for your... prediction." She gave Rainbow a weird look. "We'll spend the day together! We can do whatever you think will relax you."

"Well..." Rainbow hesitated.

Rarity smiled at her. She was always so sweet, willing to give up whole days of work and Rarity-style fun to help one of her closest friends. Honestly, she was kind of the whole package. She might be identified for her generosity, but a great melding of the other elements rested in her, including a magical talent.

"I insist. On me. You need... a breather."

Rainbow made a small whine, still nervous about accepting the offer.

"Rainbow..." Rarity threatened.

"Okay! Okay, we'll do some stuff together today," she finally agreed.

"Great!" Rarity trotted towards the town, then stopped. "So... what are we doing"

"Hm..." rainbow thought about that for a moment. Before she could think of an idea, a very different thought popped into her head. "Hey... you remember the Ponyville Days Festival?"

Rarity frowned in confusion "Of course."

"And... and you remember how you pretended to be like AJ to impress that news guy?" Rainbow chuckled a bit at the memory.

"Yes," Rarity affirmed through clenched teeth. "And he was a travel writer, Rainbow, not a 'news guy'"

"Yeah, whatever." Rainbow waved off the correction. "So, I have an idea."

"I think I see where this is going..."

"Could we do another practice date?" Rainbow blurted out.

Rarity sighed.

"Please? That would be the biggest help!" Rainbow practically begged.

"Of all things, Rainbow? You don't to... to go watch a Wonderbolts derby, or... or..." Rarity struggled for another suggestion.

Rainbow gave Rarity a sympathetic look.

Rarity grimaced. "Oh... I did say anything, didn't I?"

Rainbow nodded.

The unicorn flipped her mane over her shoulder and cleared her throat. "Nay-ow, way-er did you waunt to take me?" she said in what was probably the worst country accent Rainbow had ever heard.

"Oh, Celestia!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Stop with the accent! That's awful!"

Rarity smirked. "I had to try. you deserved it."

"How?" Rainbow asked.

Rarity just giggled. "But, really, where are you taking me?"

"Um... dinner? Er-- breakfast?" she suggested.

"Sure! Sounds good." Rarity smiled. "I know a nice diner we could visit!"

"Great!" Rainbow waved for Rarity to lead, then fell in step behind her.

"So. What's new?" Rarity asked, attempting to prompt a conversation.

Rainbow had seen this trick before. "I was hanging out with Pinkie yesterday. you ever been to Loopy Scoops?"

"No... must be a new place. How was it?"

"Nice..." Rainbow suddenly felt awkward. "Yeah, this isn't working."

Rarity frowned. "It isn't?"

"No... I thought a practice date would help but... maybe I should just play it by ear? I don't know, it's weird to have you trying to act like AJ, I know her too well." rainbow kicked a hoof thoughtlessly.

"Well... would you rather I just act like me? which... was what I originally suggested?" Rarity said.

"What, another date?" Rainbow started to panic.

"Depends on your definition of 'date.' If you mean two ponies hanging out, then yes. If you mean two ponies making out, then... we'll just have to see." Rarity winked, then laughed. "It's funny to see all the color drain from your face like that."

Rainbow sighed in relief. "You gotta stop doing that stuff to me..."

"Why? It's so much fun!" She laughed harder. "We could have sex at my place! That'd be great practice!"

"Ew! You're such a perv, Rare!" Rainbow punched her harder in the shoulder, laughing all the while. "Just... show me how to properly take somepony out on a date!"

"Oh, fine. With extra kissing," Rarity puckered her lips, making obnoxious sounds as she leaned towards Rainbow.

"Dear Celestia!" rainbow pushed her face away forcefully. "You just don't know when to stop, do you?"

Rarity kept laughing. "Sorry, sorry. It's just... well, you do the same thing every time!"

"You know what?" Rainbow started marching off the other way. "I can deal with your perverted issues, I can ask AJ out. No problem."

Rarity nodded. "That's what I thought."

Rainbow stopped, turning to stare at Rarity with fire in her eyes. "You-- your'e so--"

"Clever? Hurry up, darling, you'll waste the whole day unveiling the mind games I've played with you. Go on!" She shooed Rainbow, trotting happily away.

Rainbow stood for a few more minutes, watching her happily swaying tail disappear behind a corner.

After shooting a glare aimed at nopony at all, Rainbow changed her path, heading out towards Sweet Apple Acres.

The fact was, Rainbow did not understand relationships. Of any kind. When she had been lumped in with the other girls, it had been mandatory friendship. She knew she liked them, that she liked spending time with them, but she did not really know what they thought of her. As a pony, as a friend... as anything, really. Like Fluttershy: she had had no idea that Fluttershy liked her.

Because of this, Rainbow had no way of knowing what Rarity actually thought of her. A friend? An enemy? Something less? Something more? None of it made sense, and it certainly wasn't as obvious as it was to others.

The scent of apples wafted towards her as she approached the farm. there really wasn't any other way to describe it. Maybe it was the dirt and the leaves and the skin of the apples, but to Rainbow those smells meant apples.

Applejack was out working, as usual. She had probably been working for a few hours already judging by the thin sheen of sweat covering her forehead. And other parts...

"Hey, Rainbow!" she called, waving her hoof after catching sight of her friend.

"H-hey..." Rainbow waved back, though much less enthusiastic. Once she was a bit closer, she added "What's new?"

"Nothin'. What's wrong with you? You seem down."

"Oh... it's nothing... I just..." she swallowed hard.

"Yes?" Applejack stopped working, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

"Uh..."

"I don't got all day, Rainbow. Spit it out!" Applejack raised an eyebrow, tempting an answer.

"I... do you wanna go out on a date?" Rainbow blurted, wincing in fear of rejection.

Applejack chuckled. "This a dare?"

"No..."

"This a prank?" Applejack asked, becoming slightly more serious.

"No..."

"You... you really actually wanna take me out on a date?" Applejack asked, now completely serious.

"Yes?" Rainbow squeaked.

Applejack shrugged. "Okay. Gotta get Big mac out here to cover for me. Unless..." She smirked.

Rainbow frowned. "Unless what?"

"Unless..." Applejack leaned in close to Rainbow's ear. "Unless you wanna take a roll in the hay."

Rainbow's face immediately flushed, and she felt her stomach drop through her hooves and into the ground. "What?"

"You need me to translate for ya? I wanna take you to the barn and--"

"Nope! No translation needed! I..." Rainbow looked for a different activity. "I wanted to take you out for breakfast!"

"I eat breakfast at the crack of dawn, Rainbow. You're a bit late for that." Applejack frowned, then smirked again. "But, on the bright side, I've still got plenty of energy for--"

Rainbow whimpered, cutting Applejack off.

"What's wrong? You never had sex before?"

She whimpered again.

Applejack laughed. "Well, lucky you! Let's go, we can be quick."

Rainbow's eyes grew wide, but she found herself unable to move as Applejack shoved her towards the barn. What the hay was wrong with Applejack? Was she like this with all of her marefriends? I mean, clearly she had dated before.

"But--"

"Exactly." Applejack chuckled.

"I'm not--"

"Not what?" Applejack stopped.

"I didn't want to do this! I just wanted to take you out on a good-natured, safe, average date," Rainbow explained. She felt as though this should have been obvious.

"Oh. Then this?" Applejack asked.

"I don't know! Maybe!" Rainbow was panting hard now.

"Why're you panting like that?"

"Did you forget how to be equine? What the hay is wrong with you?" Rainbow asked.

"Nothin'. I just--"

"You're freaking me out!" Rainbow exclaimed. She took a few deep breaths to calm herself down. "Alright. Look, let's just spend some time together, even if that's just me hanging out while you work. Then we'll decide what to do next."

"Wow. When'd you become the sensible one?" Applejack asked. "Party pooper."

"Since you lost your ever-loving mind!" Rainbow yelled. She calmed herself again. "Great. Get back to work, we'll talk like ponies instead of wild animals."

Applejack shrugged, giving the nearest tree a powerful buck. "Fine. We'll do it your way."

"Awesome." Rainbow leaned back against a tree behind her. "So..."

"So what?" Applejack looked both frustrated and happy at the same time.

"What's new with you?"

"My best friend teased me with a great time and then stole it away," she muttered.

Rainbow scoffed. "If I knew it'd bother you this much..."

"You'd what?"

"I'd... I'd have..." Rainbow realized her mistake too late.

"You'd have accepted? We don't have to go too far, I just... prefer this method of getting to know somepony," Applejack explained.

"You do?" Rainbow was interested now.

"Yeah. Well, it's 'cause I'm always so awkward in those situations. I'm better at... that stuff." Applejack bucked another tree, trying not to make eye contact.

"Same!" Rainbow laughed. "I guess I should have guessed that. We're a lot alike."

"Yeah..." Applejack re-positioned her hat.

Rainbow sighed. "Sorry I made you feel awkward."

"No problem."

There was an awkward silence.

"Would you feel better if..." Rainbow trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud.

Applejack bucked another tree. "That was a quick turn around."

"I wanna try to make this work."

"Look at you! Workin' for a change." Applejack laughed.

Rainbow chuckled awkwardly. "This would be a lot less awkward without speech."

"I know what we can do without speech." Applejack's eyebrows bounced up and down.

"Eh..." Rainbow's ears caught fire.

"It's easy, Rainbow. It's natural."

These words echoed in Rainbow's ears. Rarity had said exactly the same thing not long ago... or had it been long ago? The days had all blended together since Discord's first visit...

While Rainbow tried to count the days, there was a soft and sudden touch on her cheek.

"Whoa!" She jumped away, seeing Applejack's still puckered lips pointing towards her.

Applejack narrowed her eyes. "Really?"

"Eugh..." Rainbow shivered. "This is weird... and... you're sweaty..."

"You're pathetic." Applejack went back to work. "Lemme know when you grow up, Rainbow. I promise I don't have cooties."

Rainbow froze. This was a common ploy of Applejack's, as she knew that Rainbow could never resist a challenge. Rainbow knew this all too well, but that wouldn't stop her from falling for it again.

Rainbow pounced at Applejack, knocking her to the ground. She gave her a quick punch on the cheek, then under the chin, and got off of her.

"Uh..." Applejack spit to her side. "Hate to burst your bubble, but that wasn't exactly a kiss."

"Urgh!" Rainbow could now do nothing but grunt her frustrations. This happened sometimes. Rainbow was easily blinded by emotion, and once she got fired up enough, she would just make sounds at her antagonizer.

And that was another thing. Rainbow basically showed every emotion she had with anger, except for happiness (which she hid behind a fake street vibe).

Somepony embarrassed her?

She's punch their lights out.

One of her friends got hurt?

She'd freak out on the nearest thing there was to blame.

Make her cry?

Say your prayers. You'll be dead within the hour.

Rainbow leaped at Applejack again, this time being flipped over her shoulder and into the air. Being a pegasus, Rainbow just took flight, making an instantaneous one-eighty and heading back at Applejack full-speed. She plowed into her friend, the two of them rolling a good dozen yards before coming to a stop.

"Just so you know, you aren't turnin' me off here, RD," Applejack said huskily.

"Ew!" Rainbow threw a punch, using the expression of disgust more like one of denial.

Applejack ducked the punch easily, using the stunned moment to get Rainbow under her. "You won't regret it!" she taunted, laughing harder and harder as the battle continued.

"Yes! I will!" Rainbow punctuated her outbursts with attempts to hit Applejack, though she avoided them all without fail.

"You'll tire out eventually."

"No! I! Won't!" Rainbow ended up on her stomach, Applejack standing a few feet away.

"Give in now to my feminine charms!" Applejack turned, waving her orange plot in Rainbow's direction.

"You don't have feminine charms!" Rainbow got up for another assault, but Applejack's quick movements kept her out of danger.

"Do, too!" she spat.

Rainbow careened past her friend and into a tree. Her head hit the trunk with a sickening thunk, and Rainbow crumpled near the roots.

"You realize that, without me even being here, you'd still be this badly injured?" Applejack chuckled. "Come on, you're bein' silly. Not to mention you're probably concussed... let's go inside, I'll patch you up."

Rainbow mustered a moan, but didn't get up.

Applejack sighed, rolled her eyes, and lifted Rainbow to her hooves. "Let's go, tough gal. Time for some TLC."

"You'll try to... to..." Rainbow rubbed her head, not finding the power within her to finish the sentence.

"No, no. I won't have sex with you, I won't kiss you, I won't even look at you. Just, for Celestia's sake, lemme help you before you kill yourself," Applejack's tone turned serious.

Rainbow swayed, as though in a breeze, then stopped and nodded.

"I thought so. Com'ere, Iron Pony."

Rainbow practically threw herself into the farmer, searching for support. The two of them stumbled back to the house and up the stairs to the bathroom.

Rainbow groaned pathetically as Applejack set her down in the tub. She added a rolled-up towel behind her head, then went to work unloading the medicine cabinet.

"Rainbow, do you remember what happened?" Applejack asked, beginning to check for a concussion.

"Yeah, you freaked me out and I tried to kill you. I have no regrets," Rainbow growled.

"What's your name?"

"It's Rainbow Dash, I'm not a freakin' idiot!"

"Okay, okay! Stay there, I'll get you an ice pack." Applejack bustled off, leaving piles of bandages and other dressings on the counter.

Rainbow tried to shift her position to be more comfortable, but laying in a porcelain tub wasn't the cushiest of places.

Applejack returned with some ice cubes in layered plastic bags and passed it to Rainbow. "Put that where it hurts, you doofus."

Rainbow frowned but placed the ice pack on a swelling lump on her temple.

"Good. Lemme see that cut, there..."

At some point, Rainbow fell asleep while Applejack was fixing her up. When she awoke, she was in a fluffy bed in an unfamiliar room.

She gazed about the room, trying to place her surroundings, but came up empty. It was adorned plainly, with some green, floaty curtains on the windows and matching bed dressings. The sun was bright, but squinting made her head hurt, so she rolled over to go back to sleep.

A familiar figure sat in an armchair on the other side of the bed.

"Hey, sleepin' beauty," Applejack murmured. "How're you feeling?"

Rainbow grumbled something.

"What was that?"

"How long was I out?"

Applejack shrugged. "'Bout three days."

"Th-three--?" Rainbow tried to stand, but feel off the bed.

"Whoa, Nelly!" Applejack caught her before she hit the floor. "You better stay in bed, there. Unless you want something to eat?"

Rainbow allowed herself to be tucked back under the covers, not saying anything or helping the endeavor along. "Food?"

"Yeah. Well, you've only been up early in the mornings to stuff your gullet. Um..." Applejack rubbed the back of her head. "I'm guessin' you remember what happened?"

"Unfortunately..."

"Look, I'm--"

"Let's not talk about this," Rainbow requested.

"Aye-aye." Applejack saluted to her friend. "Toast and eggs sound good?"

Rainbow nodded sheepishly.

"No problem."

Just after the door clicked shut, another voice floated around the room.

"Wine, miss?"

Rainbow rolled over, looking over at the window.

"Discord. Awesome."

Discord was dressed as a French maid, a greasy black mustache curling away from his upper lip. He had a small cart filled with various bottles, each of sporting some hard-to-read brand name.

"So, you're the one behind the crazy head injury?" Rainbow guessed.

"Well, I--" Discord spluttered. After changing back to normal, he continued, "I just had no choice! I needed to light a fire under you, and everypony knows that being cared for by the object of your affections is the best way to fan the flames of romance."

To illustrate his point, Discord set fire to the end of the bed, fanning it with his tail.

Rainbow barely even reacted. "Really, though? Out for three days from running into a tree? Have you seen this skull?" She scoffed. "No way."

Discord spit on the fire to put it out, then pulled a Doctor's clipboard and costume from under the bed. "Well, you see, your skull really isn't thicker than the average pony... it's just that your brain is smaller, so there is less to get hurt. See?"

He held the clipboard out for approval. There was a x-ray attached to it, in which Rainbow's brain was barely the size of a walnut.

"Mature," Rainbow commented.

"Oh, you're one to talk." He snapped, the costume and props disappearing. "Now, please, try to be entertaining. That is the point of this, after all."

As soon as the draconequus left, Applejack returned. She had a tray of breakfast food ready for the injured pegasus, as well as a glass of orange juice.

"Thanks, AJ." Rainbow shimmied her way into an upright position, taking the tray from her friend.

As she greedily began to eat, Applejack made her way back to the armchair beside the bed.

"Hey, RD?" Applejack picked at the deteriorating fabric.

"Yeah?" Rainbow mumbled around a mouthful of eggs.

Applejack forced out a rather pathetic laugh. "I... know you didn't want to talk about that stuff that happened but..."

Rainbow swallowed loudly. "What?"

"Well... look, I know you were after me, but..." She kept laughing. "Well, I'm not the gal for you. I move too fast, and I'm a little too dirty. I never thought I'd say this, but... I'd rather fight as friends than as lovers."

Rainbow sucked a toast crumb out from between her teeth. "Erm... why are we talking about this?"

"Look, as much as I'd love to attack you and make out with that gorgeous face, there's somepony else who I think you'd have a better time with."

"What?"

Applejack took a deep breath. "Well, all your friends came to visit while you were in concussion land, and... I don't know, she was awful nice..."

"Who?"

"Actually, two of 'em were."

"Spit it out, AJ!" Rainbow threatened.

"Alright! Twilight and Rarity..." she murmured.

Rainbow paused. "Wait, you're serious?"

Applejack nodded.

"Twilight... and Rarity?"

"There an echo in here? Yes!" Applejack shouted.

"Okay! Okay!" Rainbow made to take another bite of toast. "Rarity?"

Applejack sighed. "Yes. They both seemed like the were a lot more torn up about it than the others. It might not mean anything, I just... thought you oughta know."

Rainbow nodded slowly. "Okay. Yeah, thanks."

Applejack stood, trying awkwardly to think of a way to end the conversation. "Well. See ya."

"Yeah." Rainbow took another bite of toast.

Applejack finally found her way to the door, leaving without another word.

Rainbow chewed thoughtfully on the rest of her breakfast. If she thought the decision was hard earlier, it was impossible now. The only two ponies she could actually cross off her list were Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie... no, really only Pinkie. Celestia only knew what happened to Fluttershy. Apparently, she'd been there, and she hadn't shown any interest in picking up...

Really, though, Applejack had just told her outright that she was still into her, and then made her breakfast. Twilight had made some kind of allusion to a romantic interest in her. And Rarity...

Eesh.

Rarity.

Could nothing be simple? First, they were together. Then, Rainbow got grossed out and dumped her. Then they were friends again, and yet she was constantly flirting with Rainbow. What was any of that supposed to mean?

Rainbow gulped down her orange juice, setting the tray and empty glass down on the table next to her. she brushed the crumbs off her hooves and rolled out of bed, heading for the door. She nearly passed out on the way there, but quickly recovered.

"Applejack?" she called. "I'm feeling much better. I think I'll go, okay?"

"Whoa!" Applejack appeared from around a corner. "You need some help, you can't go walkin' around after layin' in bed for three days, you'll collapse."

Rainbow waved dismissively. "I'll be fine."

"No, no, no! You'll get yourself hurt even worse! Look, Rarity's right here, let her take you back to the Boutique, at least. Then you can fly off--"

"Rarity's here?" Rainbow asked, panic rising in her voice.

Rarity poked her head out just below Applejack's. "Yes, no need to sound so shocked. She's my friend, too, you know."

Rainbow felt her breathing accelerate.

"I'm sure she'd be happy to walk you home, RD."

"Of course!" Rarity held out her elbow, inviting Rainbow to take hold. "I don't bite, Rainbow!" She chuckled angelically.

"Eh..." Rainbow took hold, staring over her shoulder at AJ as they walked away.

Applejack smiled, and mouthed 'Good luck!'

This was getting... complex.