• Published 4th Apr 2012
  • 942 Views, 10 Comments

Golden Wonder - Kiyunaii



The Apple Family's lifelong friends are moving back to Ponyville. But they're keeping a secret...

  • ...
0
 10
 942

Jealousy

Carrot Top wanders happily through the Ponyville market, listening to snippets of other ponies’ conversations, when she hears something that makes her pause.
“Didja hear? The Potato family are selling already!” Lyra tells Bonbon.
“Oh yes, I myself have already bought a cartful!” Bonbon replies.
Carrot Top trots over to them curiously. “Hey, girls, I couldn’t help but hear about these new ponies...”
Within a few minutes, the three friends are at the stand outside of Golden Wonder’s new farm. “Hey there, could I interest you lovely young ladies in some fine potatoes?”
The young stallion stood behind the counter is Fries, smiling his cheeky grin and sporting his signature vest. Carrot Top stares as she takes this all in.
“Urr, Carrot?” whispers Bonbon.
Shaking her head to snap herself out of it, she says, “Oh yes, I’d love some.”

By noon, her stew is just simmering on the stove and tastes absolutely delicious. Carrot Top takes a ladle and spoons the mixture into many bowls. She has been waiting so long to make this stew, but only now that the Potato family are in town, can she finally sell her food.
She sets up a humble stall near the markets and arranged the bowls neatly, hoping the enticing smell will bring ponies in like magnets. Sure enough, soon ponies are lining up all down the street to get a bowl. Many of them have asked where she has found the potatoes, because they are so delicious. Carrot Top happily directs her customers up the hill to the Potato family’s farm.

Applejack watches as the ponies queue up at the farm opposite them.
“Slow day, huh, big bro?” she sighs, glancing over at the stand where old Granny Smith waits for customers.
“Eyup...” Big Mac says, half-heartedly bucking an already-bucked tree.
“Oh well, at least it’s goin’ good fer Golden.” Applejack chirps.
The sun is hanging low in the sky and the Apple family have made less sales today than they usually do in ten minutes. As Applejack slides into bed, she stares at the ceiling, allowing herself to congratulate her old friend on becoming so popular so quickly, even if the customers didn’t buy many apples today.

Sweetie Belle and Rarity leave the boutique and head to the new farm.
“Honestly, Sweetie Belle, did you have to drag me out so early?” Rarity sighs.
“Yes, sis! It’s gonna be a long day of crusading, and we don’t want Rocket to miss out!” squeaks her sister.
After a bit more complaining on rarity’s part, the two unicorns arrive at the stall just after sunrise. Even so, Fries is stood at his stand, grinning and ready to sell.
“Hey there, lovely ladies, would you care to try--”
“No thanks!” replied Sweetie Belle, cutting him off. “Can Rocket come out?”
Large Fries looks a little confused that he’s been interrupted, then gets himself back together and gestures for Sweetie Belle and Rarity to come inside while Rocket gets ready. The filly sighs at her sister, whole could practically be floating, with love hearts in her eyes, as she follows the stallion.
“Rocket!” he calls, once they’re inside. Rarity managed to tear her eyes from him to examine the interior of their home. She is pleasantly surprised – she thought these farmers would be as uncouth as Applejack – but once you get over the fact that it’s slightly cramped, the walls and furniture co-ordinate, the colours are not painful to the eye, and they’ve managed to keep their messy old farming gear to the outside, which is more than can be said for the Apple family. While Rarity is thinking this, a small colt comes cantering down the stairs, wearing a cute little cap backwards on his head. He grins at Sweetie Belle, who turns to her sister, “We’ll be off now, sorry to keep you from your massive load of work to do.” And together they gallop off to find Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. Rarity looks up at Fries, and says, “I have no idea what she’s on about, I’ve got nothing to do at all today, maybe I could - urm, what is it they say? - “hang out” with you today.”

Assured that her brother can handle things down at the farm, Golden Wonder heads out to get to know Ponyville. As she passes a large tree, a purple unicorn trots out to greet her.
“Hello Golden Wonder! I’m Twilight Sparkle, Applejack’s friend.” she greets.
“Oh, hi Twilight. I saw you at the party the other day. I was just getting to know my way around Ponyville.” replies Golden, her pink mane fluttering in the breeze.
“Oh, could I give you a tour? I love sharing my knowledge with other ponies!” smiles Twilight.
“I’d love that.” says Golden, as Twilight begins trotting beside her. They stroll in a clockwise direction, and by the time they’ve reached SugarCube Corner, they decide to stop for a break and some cake.
“So, do you like reading?” asks Golden Wonder, nibbling on her cupcake.
“I love reading. I live in a library!” grins Twilight.
“I have a library of books stuffed into my bedroom, maybe we could have a reading day each week?”
“That’s a great idea! How’s Tuesday sound?” asks Twilight, beaming at discovering a fellow nerd.
“Perfect.” Golden replies and they soon get onto a long discussion about different books they’ve read.

Maris Piper is selling her potato salad, and their sales shoot through the roof, if they could go any higher, anyway. Applejack is sat on top of her sister’s clubhouse, staring out at the stretching line of potato-loving ponies. She turns to the tree that holds her up. “Surely they can’t jus’ forget about us, just cos they can buy potatoes now...”
“Uhh, AJ?” calls a voice.
She looks down to see Apple Bloom gazing up at her, covered in red slime. “Why’re ya ontop of the clubhouse?”
Applejack doesn’t answer, but sighs. Her sister wipes off the sludge and climbs up the steps to the tree house, and pulls herself through the secret hole in the roof that the Cutie Mark Crusaders use to prop themselves up on the top so they could see across Ponyville.
“Sis, what’s up?” says Apple Bloom quietly, putting a hoof on her sister’s shoulder.
“Apple Bloom, I don’t wanna come across as jealous or nothin’, but I think Ponyville prefers potatoes to apples...” Applejack sighs.
“It’s okay, sis. Before ya know it, everypony will realise what they’re missin’ - we just gotta work extra hard to make our stuff perfect!”