• Published 28th May 2014
  • 1,482 Views, 19 Comments

Inheritance - 00Colt



You never know what you'll get as inheritance, a watch, a facny garment, etcettera. But Nicholas Sanders gets much more than that. The gateway to an all new world. And he loves it!

  • ...
7
 19
 1,482

First Pony Friends

[Time: 7:20 a.m.]

[POV: Sea Crest]

By the gods, how is he still asleep?! Sea Crest thought, biting his tongue to avoid shouting out his frustration. To Sea Crest it seemed that, even while sleeping, sleeping, the human that he was charged with to guard and guide, was intent on giving him a hard time. The reason; for the past twenty minutes he's been trying to wake Nicholas up, even going so far as to give him a good slap to the face, with no luck, and slightly grinded teeth.

"Forget it," he growled, "If he won't get to breakfast on his own, I'll bring him there myself." so, with one little spell Sea Crest was walking to the dinning hall with the one and only human, who was only clothed in genitalia hiding boxers and his necklace, sliding along the floor behind him, snoring softly.

"Jeez, how much does this guys weigh?" Sea asked, starting to struggle with the numskull that he was currently dragging behind him. "Just half way there Sea, get to the dinning hall then you can dump his sorry flank on the princess', for a little bit." With a few minutes of dragging, pulling, yanking (Oh, I'm sure you get the gist of it) Sea Crest got Nicholas, who was still sleeping like a bear with a full stomach during hibernation, to the dinning hall with only one nervous glance from a passing maid.

"I have Sir Nicholas here." Sea said the the earth pony guards at the door, who raised their eyebrows in unison. "Won't wake up." was his simple response to the unasked question, and, with a simultaneous shrug the guards opened the elegant double doors to let in the guide and his human.

The first thing Sea Crest noticed was that Celestia and Luna were sitting on the same side of the table, which had many open seats, usually only filled during large gatherings. The second thing was the smell, along with the smell of perfectly made pancakes, hash browns and other breakfast delights there was an unfamiliar scent, tainting its companions.

"Oh, Corporal Sea Crest, good morning. Where's Nicholas?"

"Right here," Sea responded, sliding the unconscious human into one of the seats parallel to the princess, "He wouldn't wake up and I didn't want him to be late for breakfast." Mostly because he'd probably annoy me because he's hungry that he didn't get any food and him without food...I don't want to experience him hungry again...Eesh! Yesterday was a nightmare!

Sniff Sniff "I smell food." Nick said out of the blue, not opening his eye, "Don't tell me my nose is lying when it says there's bacon near." With a small chuckle Celestia confirmed Nicholas' suspicion, and he opened his eyes to behold the tasty sight that was before him. Looking up Nick saw Celestia and Luna and blinked, "Celly? Luna? Are you two behind this meaty delight?"

Princess Luna just let out a 'harrumph' and looked away from Nick while Celestia gave him a small smile and nodded. "I know that humans are omnivores, so I had the chefs prepare a meal that you may enjoy entirely."

"Enjoy I will," Nick said rubbing his hands together and licking his lips, "But the only question there is, is this; did your chefs prepare enough?"


[Time: 7:50 a.m.]

[POV: Nicholas]

"Ahhh, that was good! Props to the chef, I don't think I've eaten this much food in a while!" Nick said with a satisfied sigh and a pat of the, bare, stomach. Licking his lips and sliding down in his seat Nick looked at what was left of the royal breakfast, which wasn't saying much. Within a half hour he managed to eat most of the food that was prepared, which could have easily feed another seven people, with room to spare, if Nick had a normal appetite.

Glancing up Nick saw a wide eyed Celestia and Luna, "I have only seen Pinkie Pie eat anywhere near that much, maybe she couldn't even eat that much" Celestia whispered in an amazed tone while Luna just let her loosely hinged jaw hang.

"Something wrong Celly?" Nick asked, sitting up.

With a little shake of her head Celestia responded, "No, just surprised with how much you ate."

"Yeah, that tends to happen when I don't eat the night before," Nick said, turning around in his seat and giving Sea Crest an empty look before turning back to Celestia with a smile, "Don't worry, I don't usually eat as much as I did just now."

Sea Crest mumbled something behind Nicholas, "What was that Bloo?" Nick called out.

"I said 'You would have eaten last night if you weren't acting so out-of-place in Madam Ditzy's Muffin Shop!'"

"Corporal." Celestia's soft yet firm voice sounded, snapping Luna out of her open-mouthed trance and bringing authority into the room, "Did you not let him eat at that establishment?"

"I-Uh, you see Your Highness-"

"I was acting a little worse in public than I should have," Nick lied, looking back at Sea Crest giving him a wink, "I think it might have been a delayed reaction to leaving home so fast, and Sea Crest here brought me back before I did anything too extremely bad. He was just doing his duty."

Sea Crest must have caught on and quickly responded, "He's right, Your Majesty, I was concerned for his own safety."

With the look Celestia gave the pair she seemed to be analyzing the very air the two males were breathing, Nick held his composure and look of honesty, even though the thought that lying to a monarch might not be that bright of an idea flew around in his head.

"Well you should have eaten something when you got back last night instead of barricading yourself in you room, and if you don't mind me asking, why did you do that?" Celestia said in a 'I'm suspicious of the lie's you're feeding me, but I'll let it slide for now' tone.

Silently letting out a little sigh of relief, Nick answered honestly, "It's a force of habit, when I get home, or at least where my bed is, I lock myself away."

"And why do you lock yourself away?"

"Reasons," Nick responded vaguely, "I did find some pencils and stuff though," he hinted.

As Celestia tried to figure out what Nick was hiding behind a closed door Sea Crest walked up to Nick's side, "You didn't have to lie for me," he mumbled almost inaudibly.

"And let you take the heat? No way, I might like to be a pain in the neck to you, but I won't let you be fired for my misbehavior." Nick responded, barely moving his lips and in the same quiet tone.

"Well...Thank you." Sea stated curtly, almost as if he was embarrassed.

"No problem," Nick said with a little devilish smile, "Corporal Hard Ass."

Sea Crest let out a quiet groaned, "I don't know how those two nice music mares will handle you at noon."

Nick zoned out, his head fell to the side his jaw dropped and his right eye was twitching, and the only thought running around in his head was; I forgot, I forgot, I forgot, I FORGOT! "I forgot my flash drive, I forgot my flash drive," he whispered in an insane tone, recovering he brought his attention to the princess in front of him, "Hey Celly?"

"Yes Nicholas?"

"You don't mind that I invited a couple of the performers from the private show to the castle to chit chat, do you?"


[Time: 8:30 a.m.]

[POV: Octavia]

"Octavia! Tavi, wake up!" Lyra shouted barging into her friends room. Octavia let out a groan and rolled on her side, putting a pillow over her head, Celestia, in all your power and grace, please make her leave! Octavia begged.

"Go away Lyra." Octavia said, muffled by the pillow atop her head.

"Tavi~!" Lyra whined, "But you promised to go with me."

"Go where?" Octavia asked, setting her pillow under her head and bringing her attention to her guest, because with her in the room, Octavia was most definitely not going to go back to sleep.

"To the castle, remember? Nicholas invited us to talk!" Lyra squealed, as excited as a schoolfilly on a sugar high. "I can't believe it, I mean, what do you think he want to talk about?"

"I don't know," Octavia yawned, sitting up, she cleared her throat, "But if I recall, he said to go to the castle at noon."

Lyra just waved a hoof at her friend, "Yeah yeah, whatever. We need to get ready!" she exclaimed, grabbing Octavia and all but hauling her out of bed to get ready.

This is certainly going to be an interesting day... Octavia thought.


[Time: 9:53]

[POV: Nicholas]

"What is this?" Nick deadpanned, looking at Celestia while holding the disgusting garb in his hand with piles of other outfits behind him, clothed in only his boxers, and wearing the necklace that brought him here "Because if this is what I think it is than I'm going to wear my clothes again." One may wonder why Nick was holding a pair of stomach hugging mom-jeans, but he had a reason; he had no clean clothes, and Lyra and Octavia were supposed to get to the castle in just over two hours and all Nick and Celestia have been doing is look through the absolute treasure trove full of old time clothes. Some from before the revolution, some from the Industrial Revolution, and Nick swore that he saw something that resembled a Native American feather headdress.

"You won't have to do that," Celestia reassured him, "There's still plenty of other clothes, but I don't understand why you don't want to wear any of these." she said gesturing to the racks that neither of them have touched because Nick said 'No' immediately.

"You see these?" Nick asked, bringing the amazingly ugly 70's pants to Celestia's face, "These are called mom-jeans. Ugliest kind of trousers in existence, purely because of the time period that they came from. Blech."

Celestia looked them over, but just shrugged in response.

"How many frickin' outfits of human clothes, clothes that can't even fit you without dragging like crazy, do you have in your castle? I mean seriously! We've spent the last, what, three hours in here?"

"I would tell you, but you said that you didn't wish to know the legacy behind that necklace of yours," Celestia responded with a smirk.

Gonna play that way, eh? M'kay. Nick thought, keeping his thought to himself, but saying one word, loud and clear; "Troll."

Celestia gasped, and raised a hoof to her chest, looking at Nick with shock, "Am I really that ugly in your eyes?"

Nick, who was looking through another rack of clothes, stopped, and turned around to see the priceless look on Celestia's face. Three, silent and awkward, seconds passed before he burst out laughing, explaining to her that 'troll' was a modern term for someone who enjoys screwing with another for fun between giggle fits.

He continued chortling until he saw the new look the graced Celestia's face. An angry face, it's safe to say that Nick wasn't laughing anymore.

"You know Nicholas," she started, a fire dancing in her eyes," Equestria doesn't work exactly as Earth does, and one thing that's different is that I control the sun and my sister controls the moon."

It took Nick exactly 3.25 seconds to proses that, and what came to mind was him being thrown into the sun, "So you're saying I should start running?"

"Yes."

"Will you give me a head start?"

"No."

"Whelp, See ya!" And with that Nick dashed off, Celestia in hot pursuit. I'm so boned!


[Time 10:10:59 a.m.]

"Apologize!" Celestia shouted, still pinning Nick to the ground, arm twisted behind his back.

"Never! My ego is too inflated to ever admit defeat!" Nick retorted. After running through the castle as fast as possible, juking the alabaster princess out like a pro, accidentally shattering a vase and running into a patrolling group of royal guards the alicorn finally caught up. All those years of track and field, and my downfall is a group of unaware, waist-high ponies and a god that controls the sun that only reaches my mid chest. Wow that sounds cool...and oddly short...

With one yank Celestia pulled Nick's arm even closer to the back of his shoulder, almost to the point were he could touch it, "Ow! Ow, okay! I'm sorry! I consed!" he whimpered, "J'abandonne!"

Finally finding it her heart to spare him, Celestia got off of Nick and let him stand up, seriously, for a pony around two thirds his height, Celestia was ferocious when she wanted to be, forget that whole benevolent ruler thing, she was hell spawn if she chose to be.

"Do you know prench, Nicholas? It sounded like you spoke prench for a second."

"I don't know what prench is, but I know a little french, mostly just 'I give up' which is 'j'abandonne' and 'stop' which is 'arrĂȘtez'. The only reason I know that is because of my two french friends who just love mercy taught me."

"Mercy?" Celestia questioned, "I believe that I'm unfamiliar with that."

"Well, it's pretty much just a game were you have to get the other person to admit defeat, usually with a twisted arm or something that annoys the other to no end. It's also called 'Say Uncle'."

Celestia took the information without commenting on it, but started walking away, gesturing to Nick to follow. As they walked Nick looked around the spacious hallways, with many beautifully crafted banners, murals, paintings, ceramics, so in other words, art aplenty, but he winced when he saw the broken remains of the vase he knocked over.

"Sorry about the vase Celly." he apologized, " I was just a bit frightened."

Celestia chuckled, "I'd say that you were a bit more than a little frightened, but it's alright Nick, no harm done. That little piece of pottery was from a noble who hoped to gain my favor for a law he wanted passed."

Nick let out a sigh of relief, "You know Celestia," he started, paying attention to the decor of the hallways he was running through not a minute before more than anything else, "I've only seen a little of this city, but almost everything I've seen has this amazing artistic feel to it. So I was wondering if you could find an artist, of any sort, that'd be willing to teach me a few things?"

Celestia hummed for a second, as if she were thinking of possible candidates, "Well, there is one artist I know of. Very talented young stallion. He specializes in portraits, but he's also a very imaginative author. I'm sure he wouldn't mind teaching you a few tricks on how to paint."

Nick just smiled as the duo finally got back to the eminence human clothes closet of the Canterlot castle. As the two went back to searching for clothes that Nick found appealing to his tastes, he let his mind wander back to what Celestia said on the way, This is great! he thought, happy as can be, I actually get to learn more about art! Finally! Those God forsaken college art classes just weren't clickin' well with me. Now I actually get to have a one on one lesson with a professional artist! Oh, I can't wait!

"Hey Nicholas, how about this?"


[Time: 12:00 minus 20 minutes]

[POV: Lyra]

"Oh come on, Tavi! You look great!" Lyra exclaimed, walking side by side with her light grey friend on a path to the castle, examining her friend in her sleek black silk gown with a few fashionable frills at the hem of it, her mane triple brushed and in even more elegant curls than usual. In the past three hours the music mares have been spiffing themselves up and making themselves as presentable as possible. Though Lyra was never one to dress up she was currently wearing a simple navy blue dress with a pin of her cutie mark on her chest and her mane in it's usual fashion.

It had taken a while to convince Octavia to get in one of her own fancy dresses but Lyra had said that since they were going to meet one of the few humans in existence that they should make an effort to make it seem like he matters and that they aren't just thinking that this visit was nothing special.

"I still don't know Lyra, are you sure that we need to go to such an extreme?" Octavia whispered, looking around to see some of the stallions, and even a few mares, holding their gaze a little longer than they should, "You know I don't like to go out in public dressed up like this. A small formal party near my home with at least with a carriage ride at night, sure, but in the middle of the day? No."

Lyra felt a pang of guilt for her long time friend, to try and help she wrapped a hoof around Octavia for a long hug, keeping pace with one less foreleg, "I know. How about this; after we get back to your place I'll make you dinner and help you try and find a good special somepony for you soon, how about that?" Lyra asked, knowing that Octavia was still looking for an active relationship, hoping for a nice stallion.

A small blush formed on Octavia's cheeks, but she gave her friend a quick hug back and a small smile letting out a quiet "Thank you" as they continued on to the castle.


[Time: A few minutes after noon]

"What do you mean we aren't allowed in!" Lyra yelled at one of the calm, stoic pegasus guard who were blocking the main entrance to castle grounds with their spears. After arriving at the castle, she and Octavia were stopped and told that unless they had someone with clearance or a scheduled visit than they weren't allowed in the castle.

"I've told you three times already," he said in a standard, emotionless tone, "unless you have proper paperwork or are accompanied by a pony with clearance to enter the castle, I am not permitted to allow you in."

"And I told you already that Nicholas said to get here at noon! It's noon now, and you're saying that we can't keep our word?"

"Lyra, I don't remember promising him that we we going to come here." Octavia added before getting a quick glare from Lyra.

"I have heard no word about letting a Miss Heartstrings or Philharmonica into the castle to meet with Sir Nicholas." the guard responded, looking at the pair of mares with the slightest bit of suspicion in his eye.

"Sir Nicholas?" Lyra asked, cocking her head to the side at the new title the only human she's meet seemed to have.

"Ah! There you two are! I was wondering if you'd make it!" said a somewhat familiar tenor voice. Looking around the frustrating guard Lyra and Octavia saw the rather well dressed human, Nicholas. The tall being was wrapped in an old time-y looking suit and jacket that seemed to have seen a few better days, but was still fashionable, along with well polished black dress shoes and a small purple bow tie. At his side was the blue unicorn guard that dragged Nicholas away in Ditzy's shop and in his hand was a small notebook with a pencil inside.

Stopping behind the guard Nicholas knocked on his helmet twice to get his attention.The guard turned to see Nicholas and his fellow guard, "Corporal," he greeted the blue guard with a nod, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to make sure that you let in these two mares for a meeting with Sir Nicholas here." the corporal said, gesturing to the human beside him, who gave him a confused look, and using his magic to pull out a scroll with the royal symbol, "Princess Celestia herself has permitted it, and Miss Lyra Heartstrings and Octavia Philharmonica are permitted to enter the castle at any time if accompanied by Sir Nicholas."

Taking the scroll and opening it the guard read what was on it before looking to the two mares in front of him before telling his fellow guards to let them through. "Sorry about the problems madams."

Letting a large smile appear on her face Lyra bound over to where Nicholas seemed to be writing or drawing something in his large notebook. When Lyra neared he looked up and gave her a smile, closing his notebook with the pencil inside.

"Hi," Lyra said, smiling and restraining the urge to see if what her dad said was true that all humans are great huggers. Nicholas smiled a little wider and nodded to her. Out of the corner of her eye Lyra saw Octavia and the corporal walk up to them.

"Hello Sir Nicholas, it is an honor to be meeting you here." Octavia said in a formal tone, giving a small bow.

Nicholas just raised an eyebrow at Octavia, confusion written on his face, "You do know you don't need to be as stiff as the formal board, right? And you don't need to call me Sir or Nicholas. Just call me Nick. I don't know where the 'Sir' title came from but you don't need to use it. I invited you here for casual conversation, not to a ball. Honestly, I thought I was getting a little overdressed for it." he said, gesturing to his suit.

Octavia blinked, and looked at Lyra with a smug, 'I told you so' face. "If that's what you want me to refer to you, so be it." she responded with another small bow.

Nick's eyebrow was still slightly raised, but with a shake of the head and a small chuckle he walked further into the courtyard, waving for the three to follow him.

Though Nick was looking around and taking in his surroundings with a smile, Octavia was starting small talk with the stallion guard and Lyra was paying equal attention to the scenery as Nick. He must be at least six and a half hooves tall! she marveled as he continued to walk, I wonder what his history's like? If he knows where the other humans are or if he's a sort of delegate from the humans? Is he immortal or mortal? So many questions! As questions ran unanswered in Lyra's brain she didn't notice that the small group had entered the Canterlot Castle and that the corporal was taking the lead.

"Sooo, Nick?" Lyra said, trotting up to his side, determined to get some answers. But she knew she had to be slow and work her way up to the more complicated questions, "How long have you been in Canterlot?"

"A day, yesterday was my first day in the capitol of multicolored equines." he said, adjusting his glasses.

"How do you like it?"

"Oh, it's real nice so far, but give me a day or two and I'll tell you if I love, hate or feel neutral towards Canterlot. What about you?"

Rounding a corner Lyra responded, "It's okay, I'm just staying with Octavia for the week."

"Did somepony say my name?" Octavia spoke up.

Looking over his shoulder Nick responded, "Yeah, but don't worry Strings,"

"Strings?"

"I have a tendency to give people nicknames, " he said with a shrug. Octavia just rolled her eyes and continued her conversation with the guardspony.

"But anyways, back to what we were talking about. Why are you staying at her place? Something happen?" Nick asked, a tinge of concern in his voice.

Aww, he's so sweet, Lyra thought with a small smile, "No. Well, yeah, kinda. My roommate, Bon Bon, got a new boyfriend."

"And that's a bad thing?"

Lyra let out a groan, and facehoofed, "For me it is. She's so bad at keeping a stallion. Every time she get's a new coltfriend they stay together for a month but the first week is the worst."

"I'm assuming that she like's to get to home base fast?"

"Fast isn't fast enough to describe it." she replied with a giggle.

The corporal stopped, halting the rest in the small group. The guard walked into one of the rooms in the large hallway and Nick followed. Unsure where they were going Lyra and Octavia followed to find a very comfortable room, with soft carpeting, several large, plush couches, an elegant recliner, a fireplace with a burning fire burning happily and two small bowls of what looked like mints on a birch wood coffee table and similar side table.

Nick went straight to the recliner, and sat down with a happy sigh, while the corporal took his place standing beside Nick. Glancing at the two music mares Nick arched a brow, "You goin' to stand around or sit on the comfy furniture?" turning in his seat he addressed the guard, "That means you too, Blue,"

After 'Blue' took a seat, sitting exactly where he was standing, the four of them began to converse. Nick more with Lyra and Octavia more with Sea Crest, as Lyra later learned he was named. For hours the group talked about many things, but Lyra noticed that Nick had been asking about a lot of things she likes, and when she asked him about it he said that he was trying to figure out a nickname for her, but nothing was sitting just right. Well, that is until Lyra took a mint from the bowl on the coffee table.

"Finally!" Nick exclaimed, stealing the attention of everyone, "I know what to call you now Lyra!"

"What is it?" she asked, using her magic to pop a second mint into her mouth.

"From here on, you shall be dubbed, Minty Green!"

No one made a sound until Sea Crest broke the silence, "Is that the best you could come up with? Really?"

Author's Note:

Decided to try to beef up the length of each chapter, also I had the idea of making a scheduled to write, were I spend most of my free time that day (Bordering on two or three) writing, let me know what you guys think of that, but anyways I hope ye' enjoyed, and comments feed my will to continue! FEED ME!