• Published 9th May 2014
  • 2,142 Views, 23 Comments

Mourning. - Ssendam the Masked



A human medium dies in Equestria and wants revenge against his killer.

  • ...
6
 23
 2,142

Mid

The figure walked in front of the pair as they disembarked from the chariot. The dragon had been looking for him, not that he would ever be found by mortal eyes unless he allowed himself to be seen. Hood up, he stood on top of the nearest building and watched events unfold with an amused half-smile.Nopony would ever think about looking for him on top of the building, after all. When ponies think that they're being watched, then they just look to the sides, or around a corner. Only rarely did they ever think about looking up.

Twilight Sparkle's neck itched. It was the feeling that she was being watched. She looked around covertly, but nopony was staring at her. Beside her, Spike seemed to feel the same way, itching the back of his neck seemingly absent-mindedly.
"What is up with today? Everything's been so weird." She looked around, trying to see. She even checked the sky.

And that was when she saw it. A tall, bipedal figure, standing on top of a house. Clad in a long black coat with a hood up, no visible features could be made out. Apart from that, it wore what seemed to be a simple white shirt and black jeans. She turned to Spike.
"Do you see it?" Spike looked around for a bit then turned to Twilight, raising his brow
"See what, Twilight?"
Twilight turned. "Well, that right-" she then noticed that it was gone. "-there." She blinked a couple of times, trying to comprehend what had just happened. Her eyes narrowed.
"But... it was right there!" She pointed right back up to the top.
"A tall figure in a black coat was there, on that building! I saw it!"
Spike patted her arm. "I think you're worrying way too hard about this assignment of Celestia's, Twilight. Just relax!"
Twilight rolled her eyes. "Right, like I can relax when Nightmare Moon is soon to come out. And she wants me to 'make friends.' Yeah, right. I don't need to-"

It was at this point that a pink mare came up.
Spike nudged her. "Go on, try talking to her."
Twilight swallowed nervously. "Um, hey there-"
The pink mare waved her off, staring at something. "Huh, Pinkie Sense went a bit odd there." She then turned around and saw Twilight. For a few seconds, there was silence. Then, the pink mare let out a huge gasp, seemingly floating upwards with the air inhaled, then zoomed off at what seemed to be about the speed of light.
Twilight looked. "Huh. Was it something I said?"
Spike shrugged. "Beats me."
Twilight sighed. Mystery and mystery kept on piling on top of each other. "Okay, let's forget about the feeling watched for now. Now, what's first on the list of things to do for the Summer Sun Celebration?"

The figure brushed a piece of imaginary dirt off of his jacket. He'd been careless. She'd seen him, if only for a couple of seconds. Hopefully, she'd forgotten about it-
The pink one appeared in the spot he'd been occupying for a short time before he'd flitted away. "Huh? Why is my Pinkie Sense going so awry now?" She seemed confused. Still, for a living being to be able to detect him when he didn't want to be found... he disappeared, back to his instruments of vengeance.

Twilight looked out on it. "Wow, it's certainly huge."
"Boy howdy, partner!" The orange earth pony greeted them. She pointed a hoof at a brown and white dog, which was growling at a barn.
"Don't know why Winona's all uppity, she's never been like this before."
Twilight looked around. "I have no idea. So, you're doing the catering?" She had to distract herself from the nagging feeling that somepony was watching her yet again.

The figure glared at the dog and started trying to get it to shut up unobtrusively. He didn't want to harm the dog, but he did want it to stop acting odd around him. Still, he was having a lot of fun watching a socially awkward unicorn who didn't know how to say 'no' to ponies despite the food being forced on her.

Twilight walked through the streets, stomach distended. "Ugh, I ate too much pie." Spike snickered.
"Alright, next on the list: Rainbow-"
A blue and rainbow coloured blur crashed into Twilight, prompting a surprise bath in the mud. Somewhere, nearby, Twilight swore that she heard a snigger at her misfortune before the pony who'd crashed into her got up.
"Heh, sorry 'bout that."

The figure wandered around Ponyville, enjoying the feeling of freedom that ensued. When he'd been dead, the feeling that he'd been restrained in so many ways had been incredibly restrictive. Now that he was free of the realm of the dead, he enjoyed how... unrestricted everything was. No chains holding him back. He snorted. Like any chain could hold a ghost for long.

Meanwhile in Canterlot, Celestia was quickly burrowing through the library, eventually digging out a small, battered tome. She flicked the pages open, looking at the first picture that greeted her.
A tall, bipedal figure in a black coat, bowing before her and her sister. She sighed.
"If you harm Luna in any way, Mourning... I swear, ghost or no ghost, I will destroy you."
I do not hate your sister, Celestia... it is the parasite I loathe.
She glared around. "When you were alive, I would have seen your face in front of my own. Has death rendered you a coward?"

His face appeared in front of hers suddenly, in that small half-smile that he'd often worn on the battlefield. Implying that I am a coward, Celestia? I was hardly a coward, even when I died.

He rubbed his eyes as he continued speaking. Celestia, you must understand... Subterfuge is never the cowards' way out. If anything, it takes an extremely brave being, to deceive all those around them in order to accomplish their own goals. And mine was to limit the pointless bloodshed of the battlefield.

Celestia sighed. "I know."
The Mourning leant against a wall, mainly for effect. There was so much death... so many could have been prevented... but I've made my choice. I shall not attack your sister.
He started to fade away. But for the parasite... I make NO PROMISES. Understand?
Celestia nodded. "I cannot dissuade you from your path of revenge then?"
He nodded, then fully faded from view.
Back to the stage where this would all play out.