• Published 9th May 2014
  • 2,138 Views, 23 Comments

Mourning. - Ssendam the Masked



A human medium dies in Equestria and wants revenge against his killer.

  • ...
6
 23
 2,138

Dark

Twilight Sparkle looked at the book that had just fallen off the shelves and sighed. "Great, not even the shelves are in order." Weird things had been happening all night. First, Nightmare Moon had just appeared, seeming to have foalnapped Princess Celestia, only to be facing entirely the wrong way. Then, she'd apparently seen something in front of her and had a conversation with it. Whatever had happened in an imaginary conversation had caused her to flee, barely shouting out that "The Night shall last FOREVER!" as she went. And now, the books were falling off the shelves. Tonight was just getting better and better.

She checked the space behind it. Strange, it didn't seem to be abnormal. Not greasy or slanted or anything.
"Then what caused it to fall out...?" she mused, before glancing at the title.
The Elements of Harmony
She raised an eyebrow. "Curioser and curioser."
Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Ah'm fairly sure that it's 'curious and mroe curious,' sugarcube."
Twilight nodded. "It's a reference. To Opium Pen's Agate in Wonderland. It fits the whole 'things happening tonight with absolutely no rhyme or reason-"

Spike pulled out a letter and ran over. "Um, Twi? You're going to want to read this."
Twilight picked it up in her telekinesis as Spike started to ramble. "I mean, when I checked it out, I didn't believe it myself, but you know, what with everything else that's weird and inexplicable going on around tonight, it's as good an explanation as any."
Twilight nodded. "Riiiight."

She opened it up and started to read.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,
I'm sorry for the abruptness of this message, but this is important.

About a thousand years ago, a part of history was erased. It concerned the only being of a particular species- human. The human who came through was named John, but during the war against the Nightmare he was referred to as The Mourning. He was a powerful medium, and he was a mole for my side. Little did we know that he was deliberately steering the war to limit the loss of innocent lives.

In a fit of rage over being betrayed, Nightmare Moon killed him. Yet he swore revenge.

Tonight, he is seeking his revenge. Twilight, I beg of you, don't step in his way. A thousand years of rage may result in him breaking his rule if he is stopped, even for a second. Be wary, Twilight. He is a violent poltergeist who may have already appeared in front of Nightmare Moon. Though he has sworn not to kill her in her current state, as soon as the NIghtmare is vanquished he'll make his move.

Be careful, Twilight. Don't act rashly.

-Princess Celestia.

Twilight looked over the letter in shock. Spike looked at her. "Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought too- not possible. But then, all this weird stuff happens. It's not unlikely that this is what has happened. Is it?"
Twilight's eye twitched. "It's scientifically and magically impossible! Talking to the spirits of the dead is one thing, but a ghost coming after his killer is-"
Quite another?

Twilight stopped and looked at Spike, who was horrified. "...he's standing right behind me, isn't he?" Spike nodded. Slowly, surely, she turned around. The tall figure which she'd seen smiled at her.
Pleasant greetings to you as well, miss Twilight.
The other ponies in the room looked at the tall figure. Pinkie Pie was the first to respond. "Hey there! My name's-"
Pinkie Pie. I know. I heard it. He barely moved his mouth, the deep intonation floating around the room.
Rainbow Dash glared at him. "So, you're the one who did that freaky blood thing in Twilight's room, right? Why'd you do that?"
I did it in order to strengthen your bond. The Elements are not meant to be wielded by one and one alone.
Twilight looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Um, they can be. Celestia used them to send Nightmare Moon away, right?"
The Mourning waved a hand. Those were under extenuating circumstances. An Element Bearer had been corrupted, so the Elements allowed an emergency, one-time use. It is not given out to mortals.

Applejack nodded. "So, you're helpin' us, somehow?"
In response, The Mourning glared at her. No. It would be... inconvenient if you were NOT to go. So I ensured that this would happen. I will NOT have another war. Now then, go. Lest I throw you there myself.
Twilight and the other poneis hesitated. "But... you're a ghost! Can't you-"
The Mourning made a choking gesture with his hands, and Rainbow Dash's tirade was cut off. She clawed at her throat, gasping for air. Twilight tried to help her, but there was nothing actually gripping her throat. She turned on him, who seemed to be losing his eyes in concentration. A very slight glimmer on the edge of his eyelids seemed to suggest something different.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Twilight glared at him. "Please, Mourning, just stop! She's an innocent!"
He looked at her with an unreadable expression on his face, then relinquished his grip. She fell to the ground, gasping for breath. As you wish. But go.

And with that, he faded from view. Pinkie Pie frowned at the space where he'd been a few seconds prior. "Wow, what a huge meanie meanie-pants. I wouldn't invite him to a party at all." Twilight nodded distractedly.
"Didn't the Princess say that he wouldn't kill an innocent?"
Suddenly, he was right there again. You called my bluff. I wouldn't allow serious harm to come to a civilian. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't hesitate to throttle you should my revenge not be swift. Go, I won't tell you again.

With that, he disappeared from sight. Twilight looked through the book. "Right... moving on. We have to go into..." she gulped.

"The Everfree Forest!"
The six ponies looked at its large, forboding expanse. The Everfree was terrifying at day, and even more so at night. Still, there wasn't anything else they could do- Nightmare Moon had to be stopped. As one, they reluctantly trotted in. Except for Pinkie Pie, who bounced in.

From a distance, The Mourning watched with a small smile. Take the NIghtmare and lead her to me, Elements of Harmony. Lead her to me.

Comments ( 5 )

"Opium Pen"

Yes.

Neat. I now wait for you to release the next chapter. Should really get to working on my own fic(s).

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Pffffttt

This is pretty good story, shame it's dead.

Login or register to comment