• Published 5th May 2014
  • 313 Views, 7 Comments

Wing of Darkness - Kitsune-no-tama



Prince Sultan has just returned home from a mission in Equestria to find, that disaster is flying towards his direction on huge dragon wings. Yeah, as if life hasn't been hard till now...

  • ...
2
 7
 313

To battle! Or not?

Author's Note:

Read this please and note, that this is a raw version, it hasn't been edited, so please excuse any bad english >.>

Some info before we start the next chapter.

Actually the population of the Castle is consisted of 3 different tribes, now officially called Domes. Every Dome has a barrack to train it's warriors and a leader called prince (the previous chief line of the tribe is now the royal line).

The Bighoove tribe, now the All Seeing Dome, has the scout barrack. Hippogryph tribe, now the Sky Dome, has the swarm barrack and last, yet not least the previous Ryuu tribe, now called the Knight Dome with the armor barrack.

Dragons are the ultimate enemies of all of them. Separated the three tribes almost extincted, but united they already coexisted for more than 200 years...

Above all is the king. When the king dies, the prince from the next Dome sits on the throne, after him the next Dome and so on. That's called the Throne cycle. That way no tribe is left behind.

Current princes: All Seeing Dome: Tantor - The Eye of God
Sky Dome: Gillian - The Archangel
Knight Dome: Sultan - The Dragonkiller
Current king: Blackblade -The Calm one (Knight Dome)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Chapter Two
/To battle!/

The next morning Sultan decided to go investigate the rumor. After breakfast he putted his thick coat on and went outside, towards the scout barracks. The short northern day was just beginning. The reddish sun was peeking from the horizon line, giving precious light to this forgotten by God country.

The cold dry air filled Sultan’s lungs as he trotted over the icy path. Soon he reached a low-pitched building with a square training ground in front of it. A dozen pony-like figures were just coming out of the building for the morning exercises.

Scouts weren’t exactly ponies. Having big well build muscles under a thick fur coat they were much bigger than normal ponies. All of them were grayish colored with short manes and tails. Their big hooves were like snow shoes, allowing them to walk on snow without sinking or making sounds.

One of them, a big old colt, spotted Sultan and headed towards his direction.

“Good morning, my lord! What brings his majesty here?” his voice was deep, yet very quiet, like a growl.

“I’ve heard some of your scouts found something very interesting. Can you please call them here? I want to hear the story firsthand.”

The old one nodded and went into the building. After a few minutes he came again with two veteran scouts behind him …

* * *

The story the veterans told him was the same Hagar wrote in his report. A desperate sigh escaped Sultans mouth. “Seems like the worst case scenario… I better go talk with the others, so we can come up with a defense plan together.” As desperation slowly fought its way through the ice, covering his heart, the sudden sound of flapping wings pulled him out of his dark thoughts.

“Sultan sweetheart! When this morning I heard you’re back, I immediately went to the castle to welcome you home, but they said, that you went out early! What a coincidence we met on my way home! Would you like to come and have some tea with me in my room? You can also tell me about that far away country you visited.” – With her big eyes and beautiful, well kept feathers, lady Tatyana was a real sight. One of the first class ladies of the Sky Dome, she had cough the eye of many males from the castle, yet she showed no interest in any marriage propositions from no matter how rich or powerful the family.

“It’s nice to see you again milady! Thank you for the invitation, but I’m afraid I’ll have to decline. My duty is above all. Maybe some other time… ”

“Eeeeh!? Again? Sultan you’re no fun at all! Do you understand that hundreds will die for a invitation from me, yet you decline me every time I ask you!” – The beautiful hippogryph frowned. “I too have my own pride, you know?!”

“I’m sorry, lady Tatyana… Why don’t you go ask my uncle? I bet he’ll gladly accept the company of a lovely lady like you.” – Sultan forced a quick smile.

“Really?! You think the king would be pleased with my company? This is… you better not be lying!” – She stretched her beautiful wings and headed towards the castle. Sultan sighed again. It was obvious, that she liked Blackblade, the question was why was Tatyana trying to get close to him, using Sultan. She was a childhood friend of the king, thus she could easily find a better excuse to go and see him, like “talking about the old times” or something of the sort…
Sultan watched how her figure disappeared in the distance for a few moments and again headed towards the main conference hall.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“So you say that one of the Giants is headed this way to destroy the North-East Castle and we need to prepare a defense plan, am I right?” Prince Gillian leaned back. “With all of my respect Sultan, that’s absurd! I can’t believe you called us here for something like that!”

“Indeed! It’s only a hypothesis and you have no trustworthy proof. The old scouts must be exaggerating, after all the giants prefer warm tropic islands, not ice-covered lands. Most importantly, you ventured yourself to send some of my troops without my permission! I take that as a big insult towards my authority!” – Prince Tantor was also furious, his big fur was all up, like a cat’s.

Sultan stood shocked and speechless at their reaction. The ones who should have helped him just laughed at his face and trotted out of the hall…

He just sat on the floor dumbfounded, as Blackblade came closer.

“That’s why you didn’t tell me about the attack, you knew they wouldn’t believe me…” – The bitter words just slipped from Sultan’s mouth.

“I wonder when will you learn, that whatever I do, it’s for your own good… Well even so you could have waited for the patrol to return and then report, but that just wouldn’t be like you. Come one, stand up! Don’t let their words break you down, when the scouts return you’ll be the one laughing!”

Suddenly the empty blue eyes lighted up. The young stallion stood up and looked at his uncle with burning determination. He then headed towards the door.

“Where are you going?!”

“To do something before it’s already too late.”

Blackblade didn’t stop him, only a small sigh came from his mouth.

* * *

Sultan trotted in his room:

“Kostya! Kostya, come here boy!” – From under the sofa a dog-like shadow made a movement. When it came to sight, it became clear, that it’s a demon hound. Beautiful intelligent, red eyes, beneath a dark mask, silver fur and magical sings all over its body.

“Kostya we are going on a hunt, help me pack my stuff. Get my blue cloak and “the claws”.” – The hound nodded slightly and went to get them. At that time Sultan dropped few shacks in a bag – some backed coffee beans, dried hay, corn as well as some bandages for heavy injuries. Then, after a quick though, he sat down to write a death letter. It was a little different than the ones he wrote before a regular hunt, because this time his death was sure.

The hound returned just as he was thinking how to end the letter.

“Don’t forget to write my name on the pillar.” – sounded best, so he putted it down quickly on the paper and turned around to inspect the package Kostya obediently held in his mouth.

“The magic crystals of my claws are fully charged and the cloak seems alright… Okay, let’s get going.”

At the castle gate one of the guards made a fuss about letting them out.

“… but your majesty, a big blizzard is coming this way! If you go out, you’ll most surely get lost and die!”

“Let me through soldier, who do you think you’re talking to?! My survival out there is none of your concern!” – Sultan’s eyes sparkled with anger, he couldn’t afford to lose anymore time.

“How could you say that?! Your safety IS my business, my responsibility!”

“It’s an order soldier! Step aside and let me pass!”

“But…” – a threatening growl came from Kostya, his sharp white teeth showing. The guard took few steps back, sensing the danger.

Sultan immediately dashed out, Kostya following close.

Unfortunately the guard’s words were true. By nightfall they encountered a monstrous storm. Nothing could be seen further than a few meters, snow hitting their faces ferociously. The powerful wind howled spookily between the natural ice pinnacles. If it became any stronger there would have sharp ice particles flying with great speed towards them.

“We need a cover… If I remember correctly there must be a cave here somewhere…” – thought Sultan, his eyes desperately searching for it – “There!”

They spotted a big blurry entrance few meters ahead, behind a snowdrift. It was tempting them with its darkness, their only savior from the monstrous blizzard.

With their last strength they got inside through the deep snow.

“Seems we got inside just in time!” – one sharp-looking particle flew over the cave’s exit, sinking deep into the snowdrift, leaving a big hole in it. – “We’re still not safe, we have to go deeper inside.”

Their steps echoed through the dark space. The wind’s howl was still reaching their ears, but from really far. Sultan’s “claws” were their only light source, which he putted on to be able to go down the slippery rocks. Their charged crystals shone and spreaded soft cyan light over the cave’s forms. Beautiful polished ice, transparent and pure and sharp spike-like pinnacles surrounded them.

“I know, that deeper in this cave our soldiers have hidden resources in case of emergency. We can find them and wait for the storm to be over, how about it Kostya? … Kostya? What is it? Why are you looking at me with those scared eyes? Don’t tell me there is something behi… ” – As he turned around, his jaw hit the floor. A huge dragon eye was watching him, its red iris reflecting strongly the light.

“What the… !”

End of chapter two.