• Published 6th May 2014
  • 408 Views, 1 Comments

The Mandate - Mod On Death



Mr. Bates has had enough. After having a bad morning and wanting not to deal with his staff, he does the unthinkable: an editorial mandate. How will the writers of Trot Comics make it out with their careers intact?

  • ...
 1
 408

The Right to Party

It was evening time in the office now, the work finished for the day. It was also supposed to be the day that Ink Blot would be coming in. The last impression they made with him didn't go well, so this time they hoped to make things better.

"Alright, so who got the supplies?" Queso asked.

"It was supposed to be Sound," Cloverbud informed him. "Sound, did you get the stuff like we asked?"

"What? No! I've been busy with the restaurant and everything so I couldn't research zebras or whatever you asked me to do. Sorry that I couldn't take time away from my family business to look up different cultures because you guys apparently can't be culturally sensitive or whatever it was that happened."

"Okay. Guess we won't do that thing then," Tres said as he gathered up his jacket. "Well, see you guys tomorrow."

"Wait, you're all going?" Sound seemed to change her tone from bothered to worried.

"Yeah. I mean, it's not like we've actually got anything ready for any party or whatever this was supposed to be."

"Then can we at least work until the guy arrives and apologize for last time?" Sound replied. "I'd like to see this guy myself. See who does all my coloring."

"I agree with Sound," Malarson added. "We've still got a lot of work to do and not much time left to do it. We should get ourselves primed to crunch now with the deadline approaching."

With Malarson's revelations about the deadline the group worked late into the night, getting things completed for their projects. Low Web and Finch finally figured out how to insert the giant robot fight alongside the dream sequences so it worked perfectly. Red Lead and Buronson were finally getting their story polished as well, Lead finally figuring out how to draw feet and hooves. Sound joined Malarson and Heyfield as they got the contradicting art styles to work well in the panels. Overall, progress was definitely being made. In the meanwhile Bloomheart was killing time in Cloverbud's office with the two others.

"So, what do you guys do while they're busy?" she asked.

"Well, right now I'm looking over the recent ads I've placed for the special books we're releasing," Golden Bell explained. "There'll be a special event with these stories where the reader can call in and say whether or not they want these mandates to be included in the canon or not. That way you guys can back out if things don't go well."

"And I sit here and wait for everypony to bring me their work," Cloverbud said, laying back in her chair. "Normally I play Solitaire until somepony comes in. Wanna join me?"

"I guess." With nothing else to do, the two played Solitaire together until they realized that it was too easy with another player. With that option gone, they decided to pass the time by talking.

"So, Bloomheart, you know where you two are gonna stay for now?"

"I wish. I really don't feel like making one of you guys take us in. It'd just be awful for us to do," she explained.

"You know, we really do want to help you out. It's not like we feel the need to ask you guys. It's a thing we want to actually do for you two."

"Thanks, Clover. I guess I also just can't get over the fact that I can't get into my home right now as well. I mean, that was my husband's dream and we both worked together to make it real."

"You'll be able to rebuild it again soon. Don't worry about it for now. Also, you're staying with me tonight. Sound will stay with Golden Bell. This is an order, so no buts, okay?" Cloverbud's stiff face somehow made this talk all the more soothing for the tired mare.

"Okay," she replied.

"Great. I'll let Sound know and-" Cloverbud stopped talking as she noticed Ink Blot's finished work in her outdoor folder. She looked around and didn't see him anywhere. "Did anypony see Ink Blot?"

"Huh?" Low Web said, looking up from his desk. They were all too busy to see the stealthy zebra.

"Don't worry, Ink Blot," she said menacingly. "I'll be ready next time."