• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 736 Views, 15 Comments

The Last Shadowlight - Idhrenion



The Shadowlights were known for their loyalty to the royalty of Equestria... hundreds of years ago! So how could any have survived for so long?

  • ...
3
 15
 736

Home?

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay”? At first I expected the guide to vanhoover to move on to some other tourist when I explained to him that my arrival there was a mistake. However, he seemed genuinely upset that I wouldn’t be staying.
“It’s quite alright. I actually have somewhere I need to be, and I think I’m rather late getting there”.
“Well, if you ever come back to ‘the wonderful city of vanhoover’ I’d love to actually give you a tour”. He said, back to his upbeat self.
“If I come back you’ll be the first to know, I promise”. I waved to him as I boarded the train for a second time. I took my seat and saw him walking away out my window. I felt bad for disappointing him like that, so I decided to come back and visit one day. Now, finally I was back on track, new train, new place, and a new life.
This time around I had the entire cart to myself, I had to be the only pony going to galloping gorge. The train ride was awfully boring and I spent most of the time reading the rules or admiring my new ‘toys’. When we arrived the train slowed to a stop and stayed just long enough to let me dismount before taking off again.
I looked around at the station, and it was in awful condition. It was very clear that nopony had even set hoof on the platform in decades. Past the station, which was covered in vines and other plant life, lay a vast forest. A glance at my map told me I had to trek through the woods to reach my final destination. The sun was hot, but not unbearably so. It didn’t take long for me to reach a large clearing near the edge of the gorge. Although the sun was brightest here, there was a swift, cool breeze giving the clearing a perfect temperature. A small stream flowed by the clearing and the sound of the flowing water was peaceful to listen to.
By this time it was starting to get dark, and the sun and moon would soon switch places. The peaceful forest ambience combined with the soft, warm glow of the moon made this a wonderful place to rest. I laid under the stars and thought about what I would do next.
After long contemplation, I decided to make a home for myself. A cozy little house here in the clearing. It could easily serve as a ‘base of operations’ in my search for the unknown. I got up and began working immediately, after all I didn’t need any sleep. I toiled away building my new home, I worked tirelessly, and only taking a few breaks here and there. I felt as if I needed to do this, it gave me a purpose again. My anger at Celestia only fueled my constructive rage, and within five months I had built a small cottage in the woods.
I loved my cottage, to me it meant a great accomplishment. I had no idea I could cut wood, or build a house. With the house finished I began working on how I would furnish it. I gathered leafs mostly and made a small bed-ish thing in the corner. And for now, it was complete. But, as much as I loved my home in the woods, it was a very lonely place. For someone like me that wasn’t so bad, I had, after all, spent most of my life alone. However, that was not by choice, and now that I do not have to remain hidden…I can make some friends.
Firstly I had to get out of these woods, I had spent way too much time in there by my lonesome. I waited at the station till a train came by and flagged it down using my magic. Oddly it felt great to be surrounded by other ponies again. I relished in their company, and listened to their fascinating conversations until I got off again at Canterlot station. Spending so much time in solitude I had almost forgot about the young unicorn that Celestia thought could surpass Starswirl. I made my way to the castle gates before being stopped by one of the royal guards.
“Halt who goes there”? Demanded the guard.
“Starswirl the bearded” I answered joking. He chuckled and softened his tone.
“Honestly sir, what business have you with her majesty”? Although he sounded tough, he was still smiling at my joke.
“I’m sorry, I wanted to ask her about one of her students”. I rummaged through my cloak and pulled out my badge showing it to each of the guards. “This should prove to be adequate identification”. They then bowed as if I was the princess and quickly opened the gate.
“No sir, we are sorry for the trouble”
“Non-sense, you boys are doing a wonderful job”. I smiled and walked up to the throne room and knocked on the large ornate doors.