• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 736 Views, 15 Comments

The Last Shadowlight - Idhrenion



The Shadowlights were known for their loyalty to the royalty of Equestria... hundreds of years ago! So how could any have survived for so long?

  • ...
3
 15
 736

Ice-Cream and Stallions

Sparks flew from twilight’s horn as she prepared to shield herself. Her light purple magic enveloped her in a sturdy bubble of magic energy.
“Now when you have become comfortable with that size start expanding”. She wasted no time and within minutes the field was double its original size. It didn’t take long before the shield enveloped myself. I had been accustomed to this before, with the numerous ponies I’ve trained over the years, but this was different.
Most young fillies have great difficulty when pulling others into a magic barrier. This results in a rather unpleasant, cold, lifeless feeling inside the pony that the field surrounds. However, twilight’s was vastly different. Instead of cold, there was warmth, a soothing warmth. It felt like a nice long hug, the kind of hug you get from your loving mother, or grandmother.
As the field passed over my body the feeling faded away. I missed it. But then, I felt a rather different sensation. Twilight’s spell had gotten out of control, in seconds it covered most of Canterlot. Somehow, she had found a way to tap into my own magical energy and was using it to fuel the shield.
“Twilight, calm down”. I struggled to get the words out, until now my magic body was nothing but a strength. Twilight proved that it could be my ultimate weakness. Slowly I faded away, back into the abyss of unconsciousness. When I bounced back into the world of the living what I saw was enough to make me want to go back. It seemed my magic had triggered her hidden abilities, all except for the height and wings, she reminded me so much of princess Celestia.
And as if hearing my internal cry for help, Celestia appeared next to twilight. She calmly placed a hoof on twilight's shoulder. I felt my strength returning and twilight was gaining control of this malevolent spell. A final crack of thunder sent a bolt of bright, purple magic my way and I caught it head on, with my face. The bolt did no obvious damage, so disregarding it I ran to twilight’s side. When I reached her the image of Celestia faded and twilight returned to normal.
“Twilight”? I asked holding her carefully in my hooves. Almost immediately she woke up and smiled brightly.
“How did I do”? She asked with great enthusiasm. Obviously she had no recollection of the events, and I felt it was best to keep it that way.
“Wonderful, a bit to robust but we can work on that”. I hardly noticed that my voice had been altered to a higher pitch.
“Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry”.
“For what dearie”? I noticed it then, I sounded a lot more mare-ish than usual. “Oh my”. Twilight jumped up and began reading from the book I gave her.
“I don’t understand how this happened. Those are two completely different spells”. On the surface they seemed very distinct, but it actuality the algorithms created when preforming the spells are strikingly similar. She must have sapped a lot of magic in order to pull that off and no doubt pulled it from other ponies in the city.
“Ok, Ok, Ok, I’m calm”. Of course I wasn’t calm, I had been turned into a mare. I suddenly felt the need to cry about it, and eat ice-cream, and my goodness Shining’s armor was extra shiny today. Oh sweet Celestia help me! Somewhere I the back of my mind I could hear her laughing.
“If I could just cast a counter-spell”.
“No”! I rejected. But instantly felt bad for doing so. I could hear the regret in her voice, “I mean, I am here to train you aren’t I. I suppose this will be part of your training. New assignment, turn me back as quick as ponily possible. Begin…Now”. Minutes, and Hours went by. But, it felt like days, years even. There were several times I nearly broke down and cried. However, I pulled myself together, after all it really was a humbling experience. I couldn’t help but wonder how mares go about with all this emotion.
“There we go”! She exclaimed. I jumped around eagerly awaiting my transformation. “I found out what’s wrong and have devised a counter-spell”. She stood up tall, as tall as she could, and focused her energy at me. But nothing happened. She had used up all her magic energy. I stood there, frozen, I knew what had happened but it seemed I couldn’t accept it. “I’m really sorry”.
“It’s alright, don’t worry about it. We will try again tomorrow”. I knew if I gave myself some time to prepare I could reverse the spell, but as much as I hated it, this exercise could really benefit twilight. I relaxed, it was only one day as a mare. If things truly got out of hoof I could having Shining change me back. Whom I had the strange urge to go visit. “Seeing as we can’t do much more, you are free to go back home”.
“I should probably go check on spike anyways”.
“Spike? Is that the baby dragon”?
“Yes, he sleeps a lot so he isn’t much help. But the princess says he will be a great assistant once he is a bit older”.
“He is an adorable thing though”. This transformation was going to ruin my reputation, I could just feel it.
“I guess, well I’m off. I’ll see you back here tomorrow”. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. She made her way back home. I on the other hoof felt compelled to go to Shining’s side, so I made my way to the throne room.