• Published 4th May 2014
  • 745 Views, 13 Comments

The Secret Life of Button Mash - ThePianoMan



A JoyBoy Inc. employee who lives inside fantasy worlds sets off on a journey across Equestria. Along the way, he finds love, but isn't sure if she is real, or is just another fantasy.

  • ...
1
 13
 745

Dirty Paws

After Button was done taking the pictures, he made his way back up to his cubicle, this time in the elevator. He was glad to see that Glitch was nowhere in sight. “Thank Celestia.” Button swiftly and quietly made his way back to his little work space. He sat down in his chair and hooked the camera up to his computer. Button scanned through the various pictures to find the one that would work the best for editing. So began the long process of photo-editing to the requests of the game designers. The designers wanted Sweetie to be featured in a rather slimming red dress. That was no problem, it just meant more intricate detail.

“And...done.” Button saved the finished photo and pulled it up on the screen. He noticed Sweetie Belle had walked into his cubicle. “What do you think?” He turned the screen of his computer so Sweetie could see. She wasn’t sure at first. The face didn’t seem very recognizable to her, but it was her none the less.

“My goodness! Is that me?” She smiled in awe at the glamourous photo that shown like a light before her eyes. “But, I wasn’t wearing a dress. How did you do this?”

Button smiled. “The dress is hand drawn on the computer… It’s just visual effects.”

“That’s amazing.” Her eyes beamed with nothing but pure delight. Her brilliant, stunning…beautiful smile.

Button sighed. “It’s great to hear that.” He wasn’t as enthusiastic about it as Sweetie was.

“Something wrong?”

“Oh, well,” he sighed again, “I don’t get too much appreciation for this kind of stuff, it’s just work.”

“Just work?!” Sweetie exclaimed. “But, it’s beautiful, well,” she corrected herself, “the dress is beautiful.” She stared at the floor in silence.

“It’s your face that makes it so beautiful.” Button raised his hoof to stroke the curve of Sweetie’s face.

“Button. That’s sweet of you but- op.” Button halted her speech with the tip of his masculine hoof.

“Shhhhh. My dear, do not question your beauty. Such perfection, should never be doubted. Your fur like snow, and your eyes like emerald dust floating above the grassy plains of paradise.” Embracing her, Button drew her body closer to his.

Sweetie was lost in the sensation of The Great Button Mash’s biceps wrapped around her torso. “Oh Button.” She felt his hooves reach her flank. “Ohh, Button.”

“No one, can eve-” Button felt a paper wad hit the back of his head snap him out of his fantasy.

Oh crap it’s, “Hey… Button my man,” Glitch. “Shame on you for not introducing me to this lovely mare.”

“Hello Glitch, this is Sweetie Belle. Sweetie Belle, this is my work partner Glitch Lagger.” Button tried to hide his anger the best he could.

“Why hello, milady.” Glitch showed off his cheesy smile. This can’t be happening. Button was just getting to know Sweetie, and here comes good old jackass Glitch to ruin everything. Who does he think he is? “ I see Button here is busy,” what’s he up to? “Why don’t we leave him to it.”

Button could have done it, he could have clocked Glitch in the face, but he didn’t. He knew his limits. Even if he tried, his punch would only turn out to be a light tap. Button wasn’t jealous of Glitch or anything. He just wanted to keep him away from Sweetie Belle. Glitch’s intentions were always questionable, especially when it comes to mares. Button didn’t know if it was true, but he had heard rumors that Glitch had gotten multiple mares pregnant. The very thought of it made Button sick.

“So Sweetie, why don’t you and I go get some coffee.” That no good, back stabbing, son of a-

“I don’t drink coffee.” Sweetie’s remark showed that she was not amused. “See ya later Button.” She gently kissed Button’s cheek and trotted off towards the elevator.

Wow, that’s never happened before. A mare, a real one that wasn’t Button’s mom, had actually made physical contact with his cheek using her lips. It was only a peck, but still! Button leaned back in his chair, smiling triumphantly. He felt like he was on top of the world as one name kept repeating itself in his mind over and over again… “Sweetie Belle.” He hummed to himself in delight. Glitch was still standing in the Cubicle.

"So... Button finally found a mare mare to get laid by." There was that nasty smile again. Button felt his body stiffen at Glitch's remark. He was dishonoring Sweetie Belle. How dare he! Of all the lowest of the low things!

Glitch began to walk away...

"I'll be damned if I let him get away with talking to a mare like that!" Button leapt out of his chair and ran after Glitch.

Glitch stood waiting next to the elevator humming a low maniacal laugh to himself. Looking out of the large glass window to his right, he could see Sweetie Belle exiting the building. "Soon you will be mine."

"Not if I have anything to say about it!!" Button was charging towards Glitch.

"Hmm- gahhh!" Glitch was met with an intense hoof to the face. Both he and Button crashed through the window. They fell... They fell for a while until...

FOOP

They both landed in the back of a cart that was full of clothes. Glitch was the first to emerge from the abyss of accessories wearing a red neck tie. Hopping out of the basket he looked around until he spotted Sweetie Belle. "There you are!" Glitches eyes turned back into his head as the fur on his body began to split. Fangs grew out of his jaw.

Sweetie heard a loud growl behind her. When she turned she was faced with an enormous dark manticore that was wearing a bright red neck tie. "AHHH!!!" Manticore Glitch snatched her up in his great paw. "Let me go!" Glitch laughed his head off as he charged down the street with the helpless Sweetie in his grasp. "Button!!! Help!!!"

Button popped his head out of the clothing cart. He had on red cap. "Sweetie?"

"Help!!!" Her voice began to trail off in the distance.

"Mama Mia! I'll a save you!!" Button jumped out of the cart wearing a red shirt and blue overalls. He went racing down the street in hot pursuit of Glitch and Sweetie.

"Catch me if you can Mashio!!!" Glitch began to climb a massive construction site for a new building. Up up up he went, towards the top of the maze of steel beams.

Button ran up to one of the construction ponies. "What's the fastest way to the top?"

"Use the ramps, but be careful my men barely made it out dodging oil drums." The stallion pointed to the ramps; the large oil cans came tumbling down. Some were on fire!

"I got this." Button bolted up the first ramp dodging and hurtling over the rolling oil drums.

The second ramp...

The third!

Button armed himself with a sledge hammer to knock the flaming cans out of his way.

The fifth ramp! Almost there!

A barrel hit Button knocking him to the side. Thankfully he was just able to catch hold of a ladder. He climbed... And Glitch had run out of oil drums to throw.

The top.

Button sprinted towards Manticore Glitch. "Get your DIRTY PAWS off of-"

"Mash?" Glitch stared at Button as the elevator doors just opened. "What is it?"

Button blinked his eyes. "Oh uh," not again, "I was just uh, heading out."

Glitch just stared in astonishment. "It took ya long enough to say something." He stepped into the elevator laughing. "See ya later Major Mash." The elevator doors closed, separating Button from the stallion that had now become the very bane of his existence. Button headed back to his desk to shut down his computer and headed home.

*****

Button stepped through the rusty old door of his apartment. He tossed his saddle bag to its usual home on the kitchen counter, hung his keys on the hook next to the fridge, and at last, he plopped his body down on his futon bed. He stared up at the ceiling which seemed to be closing in on him...it wasn't really, but it felt like it was.

His normal boring apartment, was exactly what it sounded like: a normal boring apartment.

He was alone...

But, just before Button dozed off to sleep, he noticed the old hat he used to wear. It was the kind that had a little propeller on top. He remembered the one time, long ago, he was near Sweetie. They were only foals then. She had invited him to have a milkshake with her. He made a bad first impression by trying to start a milkshake race. That didn't end well...brain freeze.

Just as Button was drifting off, he could have sworn he heard singing, but he didn't know where it came from. It reminded him of Sweetie.