• Published 1st May 2014
  • 296 Views, 2 Comments

A gem in the sand - KVEverfree



A small town donkey finds himself inexplicably involved in social upheaval, international espionage, and the magic of friendship

  • ...
 2
 296

A history lesson

The weeks passed by in Canterlot rather uneventfully. Cyrus was still quite shy, but no longer felt the specter of fear. After a few days, some of the pupils gave him friendly acknowledgement, or just left him alone. The ponies were as cheerful as ever as the weather teams brought in winter. They seemed quite happy, yet so oblivious and carefree that it was unnerving. Perhaps this was just because they seemed to have no idea of what was happening outside of Equestria, but Cyrus knew. He made sure Dusty knew it too when the next letter from home came. They were in the lobby of the dorms.
“What’s your letter got to say now?”
“This ones written by mum. She doesn’t go outright and say anything bad’s happening, but you can tell.”
Is it the Army again?
No, its not that. The Army actually doesn’t bother them too bad, given Dad’s position. Get this, she goes to the well to draw water like she does everyday, and there’s a line. Some official is making them all go through a line and pay a toll, and show an i.d. before they get the water. ”
“That’s preposterous! How could they justify that?
I’m not sure. She does mention how Dad’s off training again. Reckon its another security measure.”
That’s how it always starts. It’s always in the name of security.
“What do you mean, Dusty?”
“Well, since you met that market jack, I’ve felt I should know more about outside Equestria. So I hit the library.
“That’s your solution for everything, huh egghead?”
“Hey, it works.”
“Sorry for interrupting.”
“It’s fine. You ever hear about how the Griffon Kingdom split in two?
“Not really. Its not like they taught much in school, other than how great the horses and the emperor were.”
Well, its funny how little there was. Makes me realize just how self centered Equestria is. Anyway, about 500 years ago, there was a schism between the Griffins. The nobles fought against the newly rising merchants, who had been gaining power. The nobles and the king started monitoring the merchants, making them pay a toll whenever they left their cities. But that was to keep tabs on them, and then the skirmishes started.
“Are you saying that my folks are going to get killed?!”
“No, I don’t think so, though, from what I’ve heard, it might get rough out there. I’ll ask a question after my history lesson, and then we can attempt to analyze where this is going, okay?
The donkey nodded his head. Dusty continued.
“Anyway, there was a city full of merchants called Adlerstadt. They caused a lot of trouble, and started raising an army. The nobles tried to suppress them, but by the end, it tore the Griffon Kingdom apart. The nobles gathered what was left of their territories and formed the Holy Griffon Kingdom, while the merchants expanded to make the Ironclaw Empire. Adlerstadt was then raised up to be the capitol, while the other side shifted its capitol further west to the wealthy town of Fancy.”
“ You’re getting into lecture mode again. What’s the point to all this?”
“Well, maybe it wont play out like it had. Griffons are notoriously violent, and the Kingdom was falling into disrepair. It wasn’t until the two nations had formed that Celestia brokered a peace. The question I have to ask, is there a place within Saddle Arabia where there might be discontent?
“There is Kashan. It’s mostly full of donkeys, and its an important port connecting the kingdom with the zebras and the things they bring. A flash appeared to spark in his eyes as comprehension dawned over him.
“Do you think Kashan might revolt, so they’re going after donkeys? Istanburro’s got a lot of them too. Bunch of cows and sheep, but they don’t get bothered much.”
“I can’t say for certain. But judging by what we know, the horses are still fighting over the coal depots, and they might not like it if they see Kashan as a thorn in their side.”
“You know, I’d hate to say it, but I hope the war goes on for a while.”
“Why would that be?”
“I know its creating scapegoats, but then, its always been like this. With the war, they got most of the troops occupied. If they had nothing better to do, I hate to think what they could get up to. I heard long ago there was a riot in Istanburro over raised bread prices. The army came in and there was blood in the streets for days. They say that it reached the insignias the horses wear on their backs, which is why the bottoms are still red.”
Dusty looked a little paler at the mention of blood.
“Can we, er not talk about blood and things like that?
“Sorry, just thought it would be pertinent. What, hasn’t Equestria ever had bloodshed?”
There was that voice again. It tended to be sarcastic, angry, and came up at the most inopportune times.
“Not to that scale, as far as I know. There may have been some violence before the uniting of the tribes, but the last real war was over 800 years ago.”
“You ponies have no fighting spirit. It’s a wonder the pegasi can still teach military tactics. I mean, your settlers tried to fight a stampede with friggin’ pies! That’s pretty avaazi of you.
“ That was pretty stupid, I honestly have no idea what they were thinking. But I can say that worrying about your parents isn’t going to help them much. I know you might be lashing out out of worry, but you have to concern yourself with your studies. They are going well, yes?
Cyrus looked a little grumpy at being cut off. His ears drooped and his tail twitched, but he sat down and started speaking calmly.
“Yea there going fine. I might not be the best but I do well enough. What about your new experiment?”
Dusty smiled, knowing that the conflict was gone for now.
“Well, after the Everfree fiasco, we’re staying away from any living matter for the time being. The permanent duplication spell is being looked into as a combination of a speed up spell applied to water from a Mirror pool. The trick is trying to get it in the right dosage, and getting it to stop. “
“I wonder if you could reverse the spell, make things permanently disappear. It would help with the parasprite problem.”
“That might come into play, but it’s not my department’s focus at the moment.”
“Is duplication the main focus of the department, then? Wouldn’t that get a bit stale if that’s the only thing your working on”
“Well, there are several long term projects. Permanent duplication spells are one. Magical enhancement’s another big one. A lot of unicorns have trouble doing even simple telekinesis. Aside from harmful charms, like the Alicorn Amulet, there isn’t much
that can be done. Now that would be interesting to study.”
“Something I’ve always wanted to ask. You ever hear about research into non-unicorn magic?”
“Why do you want to know?” The unicorn adjusted his glasses. It was not an accusatory tone, but a puzzled one.
Cyrus felt a little put on the spot. It was that ever hopeful, ever stupid wish of his. He envied magic users, not to the extent of jealousy, but it left him unsatisfied a lot. He couldn’t bring himself to admit this impossible desire.
“Well,uh, I heard that a few years ago some monster was stealing everypony’s magic. If you rely on magic for everything, wouldn’t it make sense to see if you can look into other pony magic? Or even non-pony?”
Dusty was smiling sadly.
“I swear, if the research department had a motto, it would be “Where’s the fun in making sense?” I actually agree with you there, but we’re so stuck on focusing on one subject that we won’t open our eyes. Innate pegasi and earth pony magic is just as important, yet it gets shoved to the side. I remember when that monster came. I was a student at the Academy, was catching a show, when he and Discord popped up out of nowhere. He drained all the magic. All of it. It felt like my life was leeched away, like I was sick with the flu, but the worst part was when my mark vanished.” He touched the mark, an open scroll with a quill across, as if the memory had caused some pain.
“We were helpless against this creature. We barely even knew where he came from. Maybe if we knew more about our own magic, or even had some safeguard we could have done something to stop it. But nothing! It’s just the same old run around.”
Some light grey sparks were emitting from his horn. A nearby desk was beginning to levitate, and turn purple.
Cyrus could see that Dusty was frustrated. He had been holding onto some of his own grievances and anger, but it was assuaged by a need to calm the unicorn down. He put a hoof around Dusty’s shoulder. This is awkward, he thought to himself. But maybe it can at least show I’m trying. Hopefully I wont change color.
“Hey, it’s going to be all right. I know it’s frustrating now, but you’re going to be ok.”
The desk landed with a thump, still purple.
“I’m sorry I get all worked up like this.”
“Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us.”
Dusty’s horn finally stopped glowing. He actually gave Cyrus a brief hug. Cyrus looked away and awkwardly patted him on the back.
“Hey, maybe we can take a break from this for awhile. We’ve been cooped up all day, we need to get out. Clear the head, you know”
Dusty nodded.
“Hey, maybe a stroll through the Canterlot gardens? I’ve always wanted to see those.”
The unicorn perked up, clearly getting ready to lecture. That was fine. Dusty was going to be fine.
“Oh, yes, the gardens are the finest in Equestria! They were built after Celestia relocated the capitol. It’s not been quite the same in some places since the return of Discord, but then again, it makes the maze all the more exciting when it changes around. Did you know that the gardens have both a permanent staff of gardeners and weather-ponies? It takes at least 10 clouds worth of water to keep them hydrated. The royal Garden Corp was established 970 years ago, when Celestia’s favorite rosebush was…