• Published 1st May 2014
  • 296 Views, 2 Comments

A gem in the sand - KVEverfree



A small town donkey finds himself inexplicably involved in social upheaval, international espionage, and the magic of friendship

  • ...
 2
 296

Among the Winding Spires

The sun rose quietly the next morning, a stark contrast from the panicked atmosphere the night before. Dusty had grown accustomed to rising early, because there was always a ray that poked through the front window and into his face, and he hadn’t been able to buy curtains. He saw that Cyrus was still asleep, and felt that he should probably get up. He gently nudged him.
“ No, I don’t want any pretzels…
“Cyrus you gotta get up now”
The donkey looked at him with glazed over eyes and a befuddled expression his ears comically half raised.
“Its too early to be morning.”
“Yeah, maybe Celestia is trolling again, but you still got to get up. Remember, you got class soon.”
That seemed to get his attention, as he shook his head and got off the couch.
“ O crap, that’s right! I completely forgot, I didn’t even remember for a sec why I was here!”
“You remember now, and that’s what’s important.”
“Thanks again, man, I hate to dash and run, but I got to try and finish this homework before school. What frickin’ domuz puts economics first thing in the morning?
“ It is dumb, but you still need to go. I might meet you for lunch, we got a big research session coming up, so I cant make any promises.”
“Ok see ya.”
Cyrus rushed out to the school, already regretting his decision not to have any breakfast. Dusty stayed back to get his mane in order and pick out a nice sweater-vest.
Cyrus managed to get the homework done in the hallway, but was sure that it wasn’t up to snuff, and avoided eye contact with the earth pony instructor. He kinda tuned out the entire lecture, and a bit of the creative writing after that, though hardly anypony noticed. He did not see Jarir, which was a small mercy. He did see Fila, who actually gave him a small smile before looking away. Dusty Scroll was not at lunch, presumably working on that project. What did was the fact that he was actually feeling lonely for once. It was something that he did not experience often, despite spending most of his foal-hood in solitude. The self-reflection was over, however, as soon as he got his oat burger. He felt himself perking up, and soon headed for the next class. He made it halfway before he saw something, or someone, that made his stomach churn. It was Jarir, and he was coming this way.
“Hey punk, you been telling crap about me?”
“No, I swear, I haven’t said anything to anypony.”
“Oh, so you’re a stupid ass and a fricking liar. You been mouthing off how I can’t win a mare.
“What? I haven’t said anything. Before Cyrus could react, that snarky voice popped up again
“But maybe it was Fila. If last night was anything to come by, I’m sure you didn’t leave anyone satisfied.”
Jarir’s eyes bulged as he charged, letting out an angry whinny. Cyrus was too petrified to move, and was easily knocked down. Jarir started pummeling with his sharp hooves, aiming for the soft underbelly. Cyrus became aware of shouting, but he couldn’t make out any words. He couldn’t even feel anything but force, and he started gasping. The world was going hazy again, all noise a vague blurb. Suddenly he felt a surge of energy and, braying loudly, thrust his hind legs up and into his opponent’s stomach as hard as he could. Jarir squealed, and backed off, still swinging.. It was only a moment, but it felt like an eternity later that Cyrus opened his eyes. Some of the horses had separated them, and were helping stand him up.
“Hey are you alright? Can you hear me?”
The voice sounded far away.
“yeah im fine
I said, are you alright?
The world was coming a little bit back into focus, but only in one eye.
“I think I can walk”
“You might, but we aint taking that chance. Why don’t we walk down to the nurses office,huh?
“Uh, yeah, I guess so, cant see too well anyway.”
“Well no wonder, you got a right shiner there. Surprised you aren’t knocked out.”
“Thanks, I suppose, uh, what’s your name?”
“It’s Amir. Sorry, wasn’t meaning to insult you, but that guy is huge. And if you can’t remember, then you might need to get your head checked.
“I hope its nothing, just a little dazed and tired.”
"We’re here."
Cyrus could hear the nurse galloping out before anything had been said. It was like she had some otherworldly sense of something being wrong. That, or a possible boundary spell had been set off.
“O my sweet Celestia, what happened?
Cyrus was able to focus and could properly see Amir, a green stallion, conversing with the nurse, a pink unicorn mare.
“I got attacked by Jarir, ma’am. “
“It’s true nurse, I was there, and so were a whole lot of others.
“Thank you for bringing him here, unlike those no good security. I’m going to have to lodge a complaint if these stupid Royal Guard dropouts cant even keep you lot from destroying each other. Go on, I got this. Send a note to the professors for him.”
Yes, ma’am. Good luck, Cyrus. Oh, and I almost forgot, here's your hat.” He tossed it to the donkey, who caught it with his teeth.
Cyrus smiled as the nurse pulled him into the station. He did not know what would happen as a result of the fight, or whether Jarir would be foolish enough to strike back. But he couldn’t help but feeling a small bit of pride at landing a blow, if nothing else, to Jarir’s pride. He also felt lucky; if this had happened at home, he would no doubt been arrested, probably beaten some more. He let his mind wander while the nurse examined him. Fortunately, there was no concussion, but she decided to keep him for a while under observation, and to check him for any internal bleeding from the blows to his underbelly.
“You know, you’re quite lucky to get here in time. Especially if you had blacked out, that could lead to serious brain damage. “
“Am I going to get in trouble for this?”
“I don’t know, to be honest. I imagine it might go to the Academy Board. It could be different since you’re both guests here.”“But we’re roommates. I cant go back there, and they cant make me either.”
“No, there’s probably a spare room somewhere. Listen, you need to lie down and rest. I don’t know how strong you donkeys are, but that pounding could’ve taken out an earth pony.”
Cyrus complied and lay down on the cold cot. The nurse went to her desk and started writing, presumably to write a report on his condition. His small sense of pride had morphed into fear, and it festered in his stomach, creating the unpleasant sensation of having swallowed a stone. What if they sent him back? Would he be kicked out of the house, or arrested, for being in a fight with the son of a high-ranking Army officer? He knew this could happen, and his mind uncontrollably conjured up terrifying scenarios. He remembered, as a foal, seeing an old homeless jack being beat up by the “ironshoe” constables when he asked for change, and then arrested for assault. He had never seen the jack again. Moaning slightly, Cyrus grabbed his fez from the table next to the cot and clutched it, hoping that it could somehow give him comfort. The world felt large and dark at that moment, and in this time of weakness, he felt very small indeed as he drifted off into a fitful sleep.

Author's Note:

Thanks to any who are reading this. Feedback is much appreciated.