• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 550 Views, 24 Comments

The Seasons of Equestria - Lucaro



In order to create a stable climate for Equestria, Luna and Celestia created four alicorns to embody and maintain control of each individual season. Though problems arise as international relationships deteriorate and conflict within the royalty.

  • ...
4
 24
 550

Prologue: The Order of the World

The Seasons of Equestria

Prologue: The Order of the World

In the beginning, long before Equestria ever existed, there was only the void. It was a vast empty space, an infinite black canvas just waiting to be filled with light and creation. Then there was the Bang. An explosion of energy and matter radiated out through the echoing void, providing the raw materials required to make the first structures of the universe.

In the wake of the Bang, within the immense tides of radiation, Aeon Gradius was birthed. He was a being whose body was crafted from an agglomeration of the first constellations, veiled in light blue argon gas, and shaped into the likeness of a dragon. Two bright stars for eyes, he spread out his gaseous wings and saw potential in these primordial heavens.

Aeon Gradius, Lord of the Stars, weaver of constellations, became fond of a small, yet extremely promising sector of the universe. Determined to create order out of the disorder, he gathered whirling globules of smoldering magma, bright veins of molten metals, and clouds of glowing amber gases.

Collecting the magma and metals, and using the new element of gravity, he forced it all into a tight sphere of dense gray rock with veins of fire. Using his starry wings, he channeled the gases to form an atmosphere for this new world.

After billions of years of Gradius’ work, Equestria was created. What was once a volcanic wasteland with an atmosphere of toxic gases was now a lush paradise. Continents emerged with forests full of verdant trees, golden deserts, grand stretches of mountains and grassland, dotted with pristine lakes and flowing rivers, all surrounded by vast blue oceans.

It was time for the first ponies to be created. From Gradius’ starry loins, emerged King Solaris and Lady Galaxia who would be given dominion over this new paradise. Proclaiming himself the guardian of this sector, Gradius vanished into the depths of space. It is said that on some nights, his constellation can still be seen among the other stars which are his children.

King Solaris and Lady Galaxia, now left alone in this world, used their magic to create the rest of the denizens of Equestria. Fashioned in their image, generations and generations of ponies with unique traits were distributed to all corners of the world. Soon, civilization arose as ponies marched out to conquer the wilderness. Quaint towns, shining cities, bustling ports all became commonplace throughout the world as ponykind flourished under the guidance of their two beloved monarchs.

After thousands of years of their peaceful reign, they were finally blessed with a child. A lovely alicorn filly with a bright pink mane and the sun emblazoned on her white flank. King Solaris and Lady Galaxia named her Celestia. As she grew and matured, Lady Galaxia grew heavy with child again. Giving birth to another alicorn filly with an azure mane and the crescent moon emblazoned on her midnight blue flank, they named her Luna.

Many years passed, and the young sisters grew up to become Equestria’s most lovely princesses. Happy and fulfilled, love was in full bloom between the two sisters and their parents.

The two daughters proved to be adept goddesses, young Celestia helping her father raise the sun every morning, and younger Luna helping her mother raise the moon every night. For the longest time, it stayed that way. Until the time came for King Solaris and Lady Galaxia to depart into the heavens and disappear into the night as Gradius did eons ago.

Their material bodies fading, weakening as the days drug on, they granted their two daughters full charge of their practiced duties of raising the sun and moon. On the night of their departure, there was a coronation festival for the two daughters as they officially took their parents’ throne and roles as Keepers of the Day and Night.

Faces streaked with tears, Celestia and Luna embraced their parents. Smiling sadly, the old king and queen told their two daughters how much they loved them. They vowed to always look down at them from the heavens, and until they were together again, they would always be waiting among the stars. Only faint impressions of their bodies remained, and they made the two sister promise this: “My sweet daughters, you must preserve the harmony of Equestria. Balance must be kept between all forces of nature, and you two have been given the most prominent one, the stewardship of night and day. Rule justly, love each other and your subjects, and never forget the magic of friendship that allowed ponykind to flourish.” Their bodies emanating beads of light, the wind whirling around their feet, one last thing was heard from them before they vanished. “Luna and Celestia, we will always love you.”

They vanished, and the grief stricken sisters looked to the night sky to see two new shining stars above. They twinkled once, before returning to their normal glow. The two sisters comforted each other in their grief, and in order to keep their promise to preserve the harmony between both the forces of nature and their denizens, Luna and Celestia decided to create stewards for one of the most powerful forces of nature, second only to Day and Night: The Seasons.

Since all alicorns were vested with a duty maintain the balance and order of a certain aspect of nature, four new alicorns were created for each of the seasons. Since Luna was the goddess of the night, she was tasked to create an alicorn embodiment of Autumn and Winter in which her powers were stronger; while Celestia, the goddess of the day, was tasked to create alicorn embodiments of Spring and Summer in which her powers were stronger.

Winter: This was the season where the night was longest and Luna’s power the strongest. Since Winter was favored by Luna, she crafted him to be the most powerful of the two seasonal alicorns. She created him from her own heartblood, the seed of the mightiest frost dragon, ice from the most ancient glaciers, and frozen bone marrow. When he arose, he had icy blue eyes that chilled those who looked into them, a snowy white mane that always smelled of cold, and his pelt was colored a frosty, paled azure like the sky during daybreak. Kneeling before his mother, Luna bestowed this name upon him: Snowhoof Tundran.

Autumn: This was the season where Luna’s power would increase due to the lengthening of night and Celestia’s power would wane as the days shortened. Autumn was not as favored by Luna, but seeing this was a time of decay and dormancy she still put much effort and love into this alicorn as she did with winter. Luna created her from blood drawn from her own throat, the pollen from the Tree of Harmony itself, decaying leaves and peat, and dry bone meal. When she arose, she had eyes the color of amber sap from a maple tree, a hazelnut mane tied back in a cool, sophisticated style, and her pelt was tannish beige like sandy topsoil. Kneeling before her mother, Luna bestowed this name upon her: Amberleaf Priyya

Now, Celestia had to create two alicorns which would embody the seasons of Spring and Summer. Each alicorn would control his or her respective season, and ensure the smooth transition between one season and another.

Summer: This was the season where the day was the longest and Celestia’s power the strongest. Since Summer was favored by Celestia she crafted him to be the most powerful of the two seasonal alicorns. She created him from her own heartblood, the flesh of a fire behemoth, lava from the most ancient volcano, and scorched bone marrow. When he arose, he had bright orange eyes that had the spark of flame in them, a proud scarlet mane signifying his passionate nature, and his pelt the light red of the sunset on a hot summer day. Kneeling before his mother, Celestia bestowed this name upon him: Brightmane Verán

Spring: This was the season where Celestia’s power would increase due to the lengthening of day and Luna’s power would wane as the nights shortened. Spring was not as favored by Celestia, but seeing that she signified a time of rebirth and rejuvenation she spared no love and effort into making her. Celestia created her from blood drawn from her underbelly, enchanted sunflowers which grew in her personal care, the teal leaves taken from the Tree of Harmony, and damp bone meal. When she arose, she had bright green eyes like sunlit leaves, a mossy green mane which always smelled of flowers, and a grassy pelt that resembled the color of the light bands on a watermelon. Kneeling before her mother, Celestia bestowed this name upon her: Lilyheart Alandra


Now that all four seasonal alicorns were created, they were distributed to different parts of Equestria where they would establish their dominions. Winter, Snowhoof Tundran, was given dominion over the cold polar regions of the world where winter was the strongest. Summer, Brightmane Verán, was given dominion over the tropical equatorial region of the world where summer was the strongest. Autumn, Amberleaf Priyya, was given dominion over the ring of land south of summer’s domain, and north of winter’s domain since autumn was strongest in that region. Spring, Lilyheart Alandra, was given dominion over the ring of land north of summer’s domain, and south of winter’s domain since it was here where spring was the strongest.

Changes in the season of power would be provided through ritualized mating ceremonies which would take place at the domain boundaries of the seasons in question, and at the end of every three month cycle. This system fosters goodwill towards each season’s neighboring domain, and allows smooth transition from one season to another.

These rules and guidelines were set in place by Luna and Celestia to ensure harmony among the seasons, the same way there should be harmony between day and night. They have to know their boundaries…but tragedy struck.

Luna grew discontent of how everypony loved the day and glorified Celestia, but did not appreciate the beauty of the night and ignored her. Luna soon grew resentful of her sister. Intoxicated by fame, Celestia bragged about the affection everyone showed her, and scoffed at Luna for being so unlikable.

Luna’s desire to be loved the same way Celestia was soon poisoned their relationship, as her envy turned to jealousy, and jealousy to hate. Luna lashed out against her sister, insane with jealousy she attempted to kill her sister to alter the moon’s orbit and create eternal night. Celestia lay dying, but at the last moment she unleashed the Elements of Harmony and banished Luna to the moon.

Snowhoof, being Luna’s favored child and strongest champion, was banished as well, because the alteration of the moon’s orbit would also usher in a new Ice Age. Though it was still unclear if he collaborated with his mother’s revolt or not, for the preservation of natural harmony, he had to be put in a position where he could do no harm. Since no one could bring winter like Snowhoof did, he was put in chains and sealed in a chamber buried below the North Pole so he could still muster a mild winter, but was otherwise completely immobilized.

Centuries passed with Snowhoof being imprisoned in the arctic, Luna remained banished to the moon, and the world went on without them. Now with a thousand years passed, we draw to the present:

Princess Luna returned to Equestria on the night of the thousandth anniversary of her banishment, and attempted create eternal night once again. Though she was redeemed by the Elements of Harmony, and was restored to her old self. Luna’s first action was to go to the arctic and release Snowhoof from his icy tomb. He was released, and reestablished his domain over his territory. Like his mother, he was shocked at how much the world had changed in his absence…and this is where our story begins.

Author's Note:

Hope you guys enjoy the Prologue. Thoughts, comments, and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)