• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 2,521 Views, 22 Comments

Soviet Equestria, The Rise of Communism - CommunistTaco



The citizens of Equestria are unhappy. Their once glorious mon/diarchy is beginning to become corrupt and weak. A new movement is rising in Equestira, and its leader Iron Curtain is determined to bring Celestia's faltering empire to its knees.

  • ...
11
 22
 2,521

(2)

Iron Curtain was born on the 22nd of April, 965 A.N.M (After Nightmare Moon) in the northern city of Stalliongrad. His parents, Forge and Icy Wind, could be none the prouder of their new son. Although his mother was a pegasus and his father a unicorn, Iron was born a strong and hardy earth pony. He worked with his father in the blacksmith industry until he was 15 and was surprisingly excellent at the tedious process of iron working.

At age twelve he received his cutie mark which resembled a hammer crossed with a gear with the end of a sickle. His father believed it resembled his talent work working with iron and was ready and willing to include his son in the family business. After teaching Iron everything he knew, he could only watch as his son strayed off in another direction.

Upon turning 16, Iron found an interest in politics after hearing Princess Celestia speak in the Stalliongrad town center. He took up an internship under the town's mayor Frozen North. While he was mostly assigned top doing mundane tasks for the mayor, he managed to learn quite a lot about the political systems of Equestria.

After turning 18, Iron left Stalliongrad for Canterlot in hopes that he could jump start his political career. He was turned down at every opportunity he was given and was forced to resort to working minimum wage at various shops in the less pompous section of Canterlot. He spent his nights washing his woes away at a local bars that served cheap and watered-down beer. It was there that he met Trotsky.

Trotsky, a Stalliongrad native like himself, was also an aspiring politician but with different aims in mind. He disagreed with Equestrian politics and was involved in a movement known as The Equestrian Marxist Movement. He invited Iron to join the movement and promised that he would receive a political voice, something he had been denied for 10 years. Iron jumped on board and begin hosting party rallies in Canterlot, Manehatten, Baltimare, and all over Equestria.

His political mindset and ability to deliver intense speeches got him fame throughout the country. His figure quickly caught the eye of Princess Celestia herself. Celestia could easily tell that he was not in support of the Marxist movement but instead just trying to further his political career so she invited him to join the Equestrian senate after one of the members had retired. He jumped at the occasion and immediately accepted Celestia's proposal. He took office four days after his 25th birthday and could be none the happier.

Trotsky saw Iron's sudden appointment as an opportunity for his party and he constantly tried to sway his friend-turned-senator into trying to undermine the senate and establish a Marxist state. Iron was weary of his friend's radical ambitions and politely refused him at every turn. The two slowly drifted apart and the Equestrian Marxist Movement was dissolved 18 months after Iron was appointed senator.

Iron served ten years in the Equestrian senate before the return of Princess Luna rocked the council to the point where Celestia temporarily dissolved the senate in February of 1000 A.N.M. After four months it was reinstated but Celestia deemed it was to be reduced by 10 members. Iron got the short end of the stick and was asked to resign which he did after expressing his outrage in his final speech as a senator. He retired to his luxury estate in Las Pegasus where he sat brooding until a new opportunity arose.

Five years after his forced retirement, Iron was visited by a young and talented politician named Steelhoof. Steel claimed that Iron was his inspiration as a politician and that he believed that Celestia's reign needed to come to an end. Iron, believing his admirer was just another radical, turned him away but promised to contact him if he experienced a sudden change of heart. Steel went on to run for senate to which he failed but was soon after contacted by the pony he admired most.

Iron had finally snapped out of his drunken sorrows and was angry at Celestia for ruining his political career so a radical approach to things seemed his only option at that point. He met with Steelhoof to make plans for a new movement, one like nopony had every seen before. Together the two politicians founded the Equestrian Communist Party on the day of Iron's 42nd birthday. The party was an attempt to sway the lower class into supporting a movement against the diarchy of Celestia and Luna.

The young movement found little support in its first few months and was faltering from day one. Celestia had found a resurgence in support for her reign along with Luna and was riding high in the political ladder so a movement designed to undermine her gained little support. Iron and Steel were working as hard as they could, but their movement had little to no support and they lacked the funds to host large rallies like Iron had in his Marxist Days. Then, six months after the founding of the party, they received the huge break they had been waiting for.

On October 29th 1007 A.N.M. at 7:00 am, the Griffon Empire declared war on Equestria. Celestia had been supporting the Prench in the Griffon-Prench War for years now but had firmly stated her country's neutrality. Despite that, aging Emperor Razorbeak I declared war on the pretense that the Equestrian military had been trying to undermine his regime for years. His Griffon armies were quickly overwhelmed by Equestrian forces, and he grew more and more stubborn until the day of his death. Upon his son, Razorbeak II taking the thrown, a turn in the tide was soon seen.

As Equestrian forces were retreating out of Griffon territory, Luna believed that establishing peace with the new emperor should be first priority. Most of the senate agreed with her as well, but her sister to everypony's surprise, demanded that the war continue. It was an act that horrified her country's population and brought rise to anti-Celestia movements throughout Equestria. Among them was The Equestrian Communist Party...

Steelhoof and Iron Curtain were gaining support by the day from war-tired lower class workers who were toiling away to keep Equestria in the conflict. By the one year anniversary of the party's founding, it contained an estimated 10% of the population. The communists had a voice, a weak one, but a voice none the less. The first party rally was held in Stalliongrad in February of 1008. Iron still needed more support though so he called upon the one pony who could help him.

Trotsky was none the happier to receive a call from his old friend and learn that he was the leader of the new communist movement. Iron asked his old pal to help by getting all of the old members of the Marxist movement aboard to which Trotsky agreed. Trotsky managed to bring in a total of 5% of the country's population to Iron's party to which the communist leader was overjoyed. He appointed Trotsky to his second-in-command, a position that until that point was occupied by Steelhoof.

Steelhoof was not happy about being replaced, but held his tongue while trying to work out ways to undermine Trotsky. His attempts failed and Iron began to believe that his young admirer was a bit too radical even for such a left-wing movement like his. He quickly pushed Steelhoof down in the party hoping to suppress his extreme nature where he remains to this day.

Iron Curtain was a strong pony, with a great ambition, and his new party was slowly becoming the largest in the country. He knew it was only a matter of time before he could move on Celestia. He even appointed a new militia for his party known as the Reds. He claimed they were private security but in reality they were a military force. On March 5th, 1009, he composed a letter to the griffon emperor. He was almost certain, that his time to shine was coming and coming soon...



Iron Curtain
Trotsky
Steelhoof

Author's Note:

Thanks to Procrastinating Sidewalk for the Iron Curtain OC. Hope you all enjoyed that chapter. I'm currently looking for an editor on both of my stories so if anyone wants to volunteer feel free to PM me. Thank you all for your likes, favorites, and comments, they really mean a lot to me. Until next time comrades!

-Your Friendly Taco of Communism.