• Published 19th May 2014
  • 574 Views, 3 Comments

House of Crystal - Kendandra



Shining Armor knows power doesn't always corrupt. But sometimes you need to be corrupt to have power.

  • ...
4
 3
 574

Prolog

17:15 - Canterlot - Canterlot Castle

A white stallion sat in a large chair at the head of the room. The chair was ornate and decorated with gilded accents. The sun poured in through the windows, tinted by the stained glass. The room was crowded, practically bursting with ponies lined up next to each other until there was so little room for movement they could have been mistaken for packing peanuts. Next to the white stallion in the chair two official looking ponies were yammering. The white stallion ignored them both as one pulled a scroll out of a lockbox. The mare holding the scroll cleared her throat and began to recite from the lengthy paper.

The white stallion in the chair held a bored expression. His eyes drifted lazily across the crowded room, dancing from the muzzles of the nobility and guards gathered there. He observed many familiar faces, though all of them he met with a distant expression in his eyes. Save for one. His gaze stops scanning the room as it falls upon you. “How nice of you to make it.” The white stallion says. His voice is strong and confident, but more importantly, the ponies around him don’t seem to notice him speaking. His eyes stare directly into yours and you can’t look away. “I’ve never been one for such pomp and circumstance, you know that by now, but compared to all the other events I’ve had to attend this is a mere inconvenience. Though I suppose when you’re facing the crowd instead of being a part of it, the circumstances are a tad different.”

The mare pauses from her reading to let the crowd around her let out a cheer.

The white stallion chuckled. “See what I mean? Hear them cheer and stamp their hooves. Forgive them if you wish, but I have no tolerance for ponies that mindlessly applaud at situations that they know nothing about. A mindless herd. That’s where the phrase comes from, if you don’t mind my little etymological aside.”

A collection of guards approached, escorting a large container. The white stallion broke his gaze with you so he could inspect the container. He nodded subtly to an orange pegasus that was carrying a corner of the box.

Ignoring the commotion around him as the mare began to remove the contents of the container. Ignoring the crowd’s adoration of the resplendent jewelry that was removed from the box. The white stallion returned his gaze to you a smirk on his face. “I have enormous pity for the fine young gaurdsponies in attendance today. I’ve been in their horseshoes. Having to stand at attention while some even is carrying on that you don’t give a buck about. But the difference between me and them is that I’ve done my time. I’ve risen above that rabble and made something meaningful of myself.”

“I know it must be hard to believe how far I’ve come.” The stallion shook his head and chuckled. “Especially looking at me back then. The pony I was compared to the pony I’ve had to become to get this far. The crimson nectar I’ve had to spill across my hooves. But then again, back at the start it was easier. No pony knew what I was capable of, and no pony knew where I was going.”

The mare hovered over top of Shining Armor. She cleared her throat again and spoke with a confident voice. “By the power granted to me by the State of Equestira…”

The stallion smirked, paying the mare no mind. “Back then, they didn’t know who they were dealing with.”

“I hereby crown you: Shining Armor, Sovereign of Equestira.” The mare placed a golden crown on the head of the stallion

“Well.” Shining Armor said, keeping his eyes locked on you as he adjusted the large crown atop his head. It fit snugly atop his mane. “Now they know.”