• Published 8th May 2014
  • 1,298 Views, 34 Comments

The Rise of the Night Guard - Gladi Writes



Luna and Celestia unite the scattered Equestrians, discovering a new evil in their quest.

  • ...
1
 34
 1,298

Everfree

Princess Celestia, her pink-white coat tarnished with dust, strode amongst the aisles of the Everfree library. Today she was looking for a map, a map of Equestria from before Discord had risen. She had been at it for hours. and it was proving a surprisingly hard task: it seemed almost that the library had been purposely purged of anything that could paint a picture of how the world really was before Discord came.

Her sister, Luna, five years younger and far more impatient, paced the halls outside. Celestia could hear her armour clanking as she did so, and hastened in her search.

Celestia pulled one of the ancient volumes off a shelf, and blew a sizeable amount of dust off the cover. She smiled as she beheld the title; it was exactly what she had been looking for.

"Equestria: The Great Equine Nation: Maps and Reference."

She levitated it before herself and strode over to a book covered table. On the other side sat Starswirl, always reading, and neck deep in a pile of cosmological textbooks reading about the stars. He peered over a star chart, and looked at Celestia with his wise and ancient eyes.

"You finally found your map, does that mean you'll be leaving soon?"

Celestia dropped the book on the table loudly, shocking the aged stallion. Starswirl was her mentor, her adoptive father, and one of her best friends. He kept his beard long and well trimmed, and always wore a blue cloak, studded with stars. On his head was a pointed hat, which Celestia always found comical. He might as well embroider “Wizard” on it.

Not that she didn't respect him, he was after all the closest thing to parent she ever knew. Her mother she barely remembered, and her father she had never known. Luna had no memory of either, having been born only a short few months before their mother passed away, taken by the forces of chaos in a valiant attempt to overthrow Discord. Starswirl had been regent since then, until the reins of power fell to the sisters.

"So eager to be left alone again? You should really get out more." she teased, and opened to the first page.

"Outside. Why would I go outside when I have you to do that for me?" Starswirl retorted

Celestia ignored him, and turned to the first page. As she had hoped, she found a map of Equestria from long before Discord has began his terrible reign. It was the image of a nation long since destroyed, but one that might rise again under her. The settlements on the map probably still existed, and if they did, they were assumedly in dire need of help. Celestia and Luna would venture forth, contact them, and bid them join a new Equestrian Nation.

She flipped through the book, and to her chagrin found that it had long since been ruined. Entire chapters were missing, and the only map of Equestria as a whole appeared to be the vague one the first page. It would suffice, barely, but it was all she had found thus far.

Celestia found that the nearest mapped settlement was White Tail. She had been there recently: only a few months ago when Discord had chosen it as his last "Capital of Chaos." She was certain he had chosen a location so close entirely out of spite, and that had cost him his freedom. He had remained there since his defeat, entombed in stone. Perhaps she would find a more fitting location for his ugly stone form, but for now that's where he rested.

Started out of her nostalgic reminiscing, Celestia heard hoofsteps in the hall, and shut the book. She turned just in time to see her sister in the doorway. Her dark blue mane matched quite well with her grey steel armour, and her mane flowed out from her helmet. A helmet that had a sword on it, just ahead of Luna's horn.

"Sister, have you finally found a map? I grow weary of waiting, I should soon send a scouting party out." Luna said, rolling her eyes dramatically.

Celestia suppressed a sigh. "I have,” she said, and gestured back to the book. “We'll head to White Tail first, and later we'll..."

Luna rolled her eyes again. "Spare me the specifics. So long as we have some destination for now. I'll have my Captain make a copy of your map later." she said.

"Hurricane, right? You two are getting rather close..." Celestia teased.

Caught in a moment of weakness, Luna looked away to cover her blushing. "We are both professionals, Sister." She said."Now, are you ready to go? All of this revelry has been entertaining, but I wish for some adventure now. Perhaps we'll find some brigands."Luna grinned widely at the thought, "I've been waiting for a good fight."

"Meet me outside in half an hour, I have some things to collect. We go alone, Luna- no force." Celestia said.

Luna seemed shocked, and cocked her head. "No force? I thought we were setting out to unify Equestria."

Celestia looked her in the eye. "No force. They will follow us willingly, I promise you that. When they realize the powers we have, they will choose to. Life will be better for them under us, after all. We will accomplish this peacefully. "

"Very well, you are the eldest- we will do it your way first." Luna said, with a respectful nod of her head.

“Half an hour.”

Luna departed down the hall, probably to arm herself to the teeth, while Celestia went to her quarters. There she filled saddlebags with everything they could possibly need- perhaps too much for a half days travelling. Food, tents, some gold pieces for barter, and plenty of water.

She also took a good book, and some parchment- just in case.

Celestia strode out of the stone building that housed the library and her quarters, into the courtyard of the Everfree Fortress. Surrounded on all sides by tall stone buildings, it was forever in a soft shade. Luna paced in the centre impatiently.

As expected, she was heavily armed. She had taken both a longsword, and a crossbow. One would be quite a fool to pick a fight with the Princess of the Night.

Celestia had her own power, but she had never been a match for her sister martially. Then again, Luna could barely concoct the simplest of potions, or budget the Everfree's resources. Celestia ran the Everfree, while Luna protected it. It had been this way for decades.

They juxtaposed each other perfectly- like night and day.

"Did you remember the kitchen sink?" Luna commented sarcastically.

"Sure, I'm the silly one. This is a mission of peace, Luna." Celestia returned, eyeing the arms decorating her sisters armour.

"Perhaps, but it is good to be prepared." Luna said, and trotted to the gateway beyond.

"Now, let us delay no longer. Time waits for no mare."

The gatekeeper saw her coming, and with a hurried salute drew the gate up. He smiled at Celestia, and gave a bow at the two.

“Safe travels.” he said.

Celestia followed her sister out, and glanced back at the fortress as it receded into the trees behind them. She had been born there, long ago, and she had spent most of her life there. To her, this was almost an alien world. Nopony from the Everfree had spent much time outside, since it was the only place free of Discord's chaos. They had stayed inside, but now all that was set to change. They knew freedom, and they knew how to manage themselves. Equestria needed them, so the ponies of the Everfree would venture forth and offer their aid.

Discord’s long reign had left a heavy mark of the world, to the point where nature itself had been bent to his will. The forests of the continent lay dead and ruined, arable land was sparse, and the animal herds had long since vanished into the southern reaches. The North was nearly a wasteland, and it would take a long time of management to heal it. Celestia and Luna had been gifted power over the forces of nature to do this, and by establishing a firm Equestrian nation under them, the magic of ponies could set things right again. Earth ponies could mend the soil, and grow new forests where Discord had ruined the Earth; pegasi could manage the weather, and ease the transition back into a natural order; unicorns could manage it all, and control magic directly. The three races, under them, could save the world.

Otherwise, the sudden return to a natural order could send a dying continent to its final end. The next winter would be brutal, the first real winter in centuries. Managing it would be important.

Luna trotted ahead of her sister, scanning the horizon for threats. Celestia noted the chips in her armour, twenty markings representing those Luna had fought. She never lost a fight.

"I still say we should have brought force. They should kneel to us, none of this 'diplomacy' business," Luna complained.

Celestia sighed. "What if they refuse, would you make war with the whole world?" she asked.

Luna rolled her eyes and glanced back. "Please, they would bow to us as saviours. If they refuse, then they are no better than Discord," she said.

"Perhaps, but we're going to be diplomatic first. It can't hurt now, can it?" Celestia returned.

Luna shook her head and continued staring forward. "You are the eldest," she said.

Celestia smiled. Luna was headstrong, but as long as she was there to keep her sister on the ground they made a perfect pair. Celestia the Velvet Glove, Luna the Iron Fist- an accurate moniker considering how much armour she wore. Luna always wore her armour, which had a stunning black chest piece representing her moon. Celestia preferred to only wear a crown and small bit of jewellery, just enough for that 'regal' look. Luna had built their army, while Celestia had studied and learned the secrets of the Tree of Harmony. It was she who learned how to contact them, and she who made their pact. Luna had led her army against Discord, winning them enough time to put their powers to use. Now they were free, and the people of the Everfree had declared them princeses of Equestria. There was to be no Queen- they ruled together, neither of them superior to the other.

Luna's hoof shot up, and Celestia stopped in her tracks at the universal danger signal.

"Hold!" Luna shouted, and unsheathed her sword.

Celestia knew better than to question her sister's judgement of danger, and waited behind, her horn charging with magic.

"We're not alone out here," Luna said, glancing from side to side.

Before Celestia could speak, a figure jumped out of the brush and leapt at Luna. She was too fast for it though, and the bandit's sword clashed against her own.

Celestia took a quick look at the situation, and decided to classify the whole thing a suicide as she stepped back and surrounded herself in a magical field. A single bandit decided to try and take Luna on, the fool and his life would soon be parted if he didn't give up.

Luna grinned manically as she toyed with him, her sword clanking against his own as they danced in the path.

"Give it up, dusty old mare!" He shouted, and thrust forward with all his might.

Luna easily parried the blow, and he stumbled back. "You have no idea the power you contend with, throw down your weapon!" Luna commanded, standing her ground.

Unwisely, the stallion instead screamed and charged, and put all his effort into a sideways blow.

Once again, Luna easily avoided his clumsy attack, she simply stepped to the side and his sword flew past her harmlessly. Her sword, in a silver blur, found itself embedded in his chest.

For a brief moment his eyes flashed with terror, and then he fell to the ground, never to open them again.

"What a fool," she commented, and rolled his body over. "Nothing more than some leather and a rusty blade, how did he think he had a chance?" She wondered.

"Ponies like him don't expect a fight. I imagine this was his first," Celestia said.

"And his last," Luna added.

Luna sheathed her sword- after wiping it clean.

After taking a few minutes to bury him under a pile of rocks a ways to the side of the path- part of the dirty work of adventuring- they continued on their way. Not long after they left the forest, and passed into a wide clearing. White Tail woods was barely visible on the opposite horizon.

Celestia looked around, just to the North was a mountain range, followed by a much larger range, and to the South was a desert. For the moment she thought on that, and decided they should focus on the North after today.

"Securing these roads is going to take time, we need to find out where that brigand made his home," Luna noted, trotting ahead.

Celestia was about to speak, but saw something- or rather something saw her- and she watched it back.

Luna spotted it too. "Hold, we're being watched!" She shouted, and unholstered her crossbow.

Whatever it was, it was smarter than that, and immediately darted off over the trees.

"Probably just a pegasus curious to explore their new freedom, don't worry," Celestia guessed.

Luna looked back at her, with the fierce eyes of a warrior. "Perhaps, but we should make haste to White Tail regardless- it will be night soon," she said, mindful of the receding sun, a third of the way from the horizon.

Celestia and Luna both knew full well that they could extend, or delay, day and night if they pleased. They both knew too, that attempting that would have consequence. Powers greater than they watched over everything.

"We could fly," Celestia suggested.

"We would be seen for miles around, I won't allow it," Luna retorted, and turned to a gallop forward.

Celestia sighed and followed.

"You've been eating too much cake, sister, keep up!" Luna shouted back at her as they sped along the trodden grass path.

"We could... teleport!" Celestia shouted back, panting as she tried to keep up. Luna was... in better shape, admittedly.

"You need the exercise!"

Celestia had no argument for that, and followed her sister as they dashed across the plain before the White Tail forest. Once her sister's gaze was firmly ahead, Celestia 'lightened the load' with a little magic.

I'm a Princess, I can cheat if I want to.

Even so, she had some difficulty keeping up with her sister. Her role had been that of the mage, studying with Star Swirl in the ancient library of the Everfree. He found the potion that allowed her to commune with the tree, and its elements, to go beyond and become an Alicorn. Together, she and her sister had communed with them, and were given their gifts- and their responsibility. Just what exactly they were, and what their origins were, remained a mystery- one that Star Swirl obsessed over.

Celestia knew better than to poke at anything more powerful than herself, so she left it be. Some mysteries were better left unsolved. So she let it be, and since Discord's fall they hadn't called on her anyway- it was quite obvious when they did. It was like having a voice in the back of your mind, buried in your own thoughts, calling you. Speaking with them was even stranger; they didn't speak so much as think in your head, and you thought back at them.

With Celestia nearing exhaustion, Luna finally cleared the forest into the clearing that housed the town, with Celestia close at her tail. Luna halted, and glanced back at her sister with a wide grin.

"You need to get out more," she said, not even winded, to her panting sister.

"If I... did... we would still be fighting Discord," Celestia breathed.

Luna nodded. "We both had our place, I mean no disrespect," She said, and turned towards the village ahead.

White Tail was a small village, nothing more than thatch huts in a clearing within the centre of the White Tail forest. Only a few dozen ponies made it their home, and they maintained a small set of fields for food, most of which went to trade. Besides the local inn, which served as a rest stop before the much further settlements of Oatsville or Hayvenbrooke, there was one other notable landmark.

Discord, trapped in stone, lay in the town square. Luna and Celestia hadn't bothered moving him- they certainly didn't want to wake up seeing that ugly grin every morning. It was visible from outside the town proper, and apparently the locals had taken to decorating it- rather haphazardly. Half was painted red, the other blue, and pieces of paper were stuck all over it. If she had to guess, it was being used as a bulletin board.

Celestia noticed as well, as they approached the town, that a few buildings lay burned and abandoned. This town really did need help, and she was happy to give it to them.

Luna trotted towards the town with her chest stuck out, and her chin held high in what her sister jokingly called "the princess strut" (Formerly the "I have an army" strut). Celestia was at her tail, more relaxed in composure. One of the villagers was walking back to the village with a bag of apple on his back, and on seeing the two halted in shock. Celestia bemusedly stood back while her sister approached.

"Greetings, fine citizen of White Tail! Where might I find the mayor?" Luna asked, her sword quietly clanking against her armour as she strode forth.

The pony, a rather short earth pony with the cutie mark of a single apple, seemed to shrink into himself. He swallowed and cowered at the armoured mare of war towering over him.

"H... He's in the inn.." he stammered.

Luna turned back from him, and as soon as her glance was off he scrambled, into the town trailing apples.

"Luna," Celestia smirked, as Luna trotted back over, full of pride.

"You scared the poor stallion," Celestia said, looking past at the terrified pony darting into a building.

Luna smiled back. "' 'Tis only a healthy respect for one's lord," she returned.

"These ponies aren't our subjects yet," Celestia reminded her sister.

Luna rolled her eyes, and started towards the town. "Please sister, we don't need their agreement. They need leadership, and we are the obvious choice. They are our subjects, even if they don't yet realize it," she said, and glancing back impatiently.

Celestia suppressed a sigh and followed her, passing into the thatch buildings. A few ponies loitered here and there, but offered no conversation as they watched the two stride towards the inn at the far side. Celestia smiled at them, but her sister seemed to be having an effect on them, and not even her disarming smile could shake their awed looks.

At least having her company meant they were safe on the roads. Discords chaotic reign was anything but peaceful, and there was no telling who was on the roads now, free to venture forth from their settlements. There were bound to be more bandits out there, and Celestia's regalia would fetch a fine price.

Granted she could handle herself, but deterrence was best. Luna was one hell of a deterrent.

"Here we are sister, a fine establishment," Luna said, as they halted in their walk at the town inn.

The Ruffled Pegasus. Built recently, by the looks of it, with fine wood instead of the thatch of the rest of the town. Leave it to ponies to build a cider-hole as the first thing in their new freedom.

"A fine establishment indeed," Celestia said with a nod, and noticed a board near the door.

Luna followed her gaze, and smiled gleefully. She quickly strode towards it, and took a look at the assorted notes.

"A quest board! Perhaps I can have a few soldiers follow up on some of these bounties. That would be a fine way to prove our capabilities, would it not?"

Celestia nodded her agreement. "It would, and any crimes against White Tail are crimes against us now. Is there anything that sticks out?" She asked.

"I think this one is a fine start." Luna said, and tore off one of the papers.

"Slickhoof. Male earth pony. Wanted for..." Luna trailed off.

Celestia tried to read over her shoulder, but couldn't before Luna crumpled it up angrily.

"Such barbarity cannot go unpunished," She growled.

Celestia deftly plucked the paper from Luna, and unfolded it. What she read filled her with an intense sadness.

Slickhoof is suspected to be responsible for the schoolhouse arson last fall, and the ensuing death of several young students. He is also suspected of being a member of the Whitehorse Gang of bandits that are known to be active in the area.
Bounty stands at 200 apples, or anything of equal value.
Dead or alive.

Celestia sighed, and let the bounty drop the ground. Such an atrocity proved why Equestria needed them. Her sadness turned into fuel for her inner fire, and she turned to her sister. She would set this right, nobody yet had crossed Luna and lived.

"We'll get him, and the rest of this "Whitehorse Gang." If anypony can do it, it's you." she said.

Luna stared down at the paper, and lit it with a green flame. "I can indeed, and I will. White Tail will know justice for these heinous crimes."

"Now then, shall we go inside?" Luna asked, and gestured at the doors. "After you, dear sister."

Celestia led her inside through the swinging doors, and took a quick glance around at the establishment. It was remarkably well kept. A few dozen townsfolk talked amongst themselves, but stopped as soon as they noticed the two enter.

"Greetings, subj-... citizens!" Luna addressed.

Celestia trotted past her, quickly whispering "my turn" in her ear.

"I was told I could speak to the mayor here?" Celestia asked the room.

A pony who had been sitting with a mug of cider at a table with his compatriots stood, and noticing the pair- Celestia specfically in her golden regalia- quickly slid out of his seat.

He cleared his throat, and began to speak while he bowed his head. "Queen Celestia of the Everfree, I am q-"

"Princess Celestia," Luna interrupted angrily.

The mayor looked up, confused. Celestia had to cover up her laughter with a cough.

"I.. I apologize, I assumed rashly. I am Mayor Goodsteed, is there anything I can do for you?"

"Yes. Have your townspeople meet in the square tomorrow morning an hour before sunrise. For tonight, if you could please spare a room we would be grateful," Celestia requested.

He bowed again, while Luna stepped past towards the bar. "We would be honored to extend to you the finest suite," he said, and looking towards the inn keep, added "right, Speakeasy?"

The gruff looking pony, a pony that had seen many a week long winter, grumbled and put a a set of keys before Luna.

"Good," Goodsteed said, and turned back to Celestia with the most charming smile he could manage.

"Is there anything more we can do for you?" he asked.

Celestia began to speak, but was overshot by her sister.

"A round, my good stallion," she said, and added, thumping the counter, "on us."

The assembled patrons cheered their approval, and Celestia took a pillow with a low table in the corner of the room while they were served, ordering hot tea for herself. She drank, now and then, but it wouldn't look proper for their new monarch to be drinking in an inn. The idea was to be accessible by the common people, but not entirely one of them. All ponies were equal... but two of them were more equal.

Luna didn't share these principles, and she had herself one, and then quickly two, mugs of cider. Celestia watched as her gaze went around the room, looking for any stallion brave enough to approach. While Luna waited, and had a discussion with the barkeep about something, Celestia kept an ear to the room as she sipped at her tea, her bags finally off her back, and to the side.

A few things became apparent. The first was some sort of bandits had been shadowing the village for a while, which would be an easy enough problem for them to solve. The second was mentions of mysterious figures in the sky shadowing the villagers- matching the description of what she had seen earlier.

About a half hour later, Celestia was approached by a unicorn filly, who happily trotted towards her with an innocent smile on her face. Her mane was perfectly groomed, and it flowed from her head to each side of her purple coat elegantly.

"Good evening little one, can I help you?" Celestia asked.

The pony looked unsure, looking up at her from below. Celestia was well aware of her stature, and hoped she wasn't intimidating the poor thing. Even laying down she still loomed over the filly.

"Princess Celestia... how do you have wings, and a horn?" she asked.

Celestia looked down at her. "I'm an alicorn dear. Maybe if you become a wise unicorn, and study magic, you can become one too," she said.

It was a half truth. It was certainly possible this unicorn could one day become an alicorn, but not without decades of study- certainly more than this little village could offer.

"What's your name, little one, and where are your parents?" Celestia asked.

The filly stuck out her chest with pride. "I'm Skyshine, and my dad's the mayor, my mom sells apples!" she said proudly.

Celestia smiled, and patted her head. "Well, Skyshine, perhaps when the roads are safe you can come to the Everfree." she offered.

Skyshine instantly lit up with delight, "Thank you Princess!" she exclaimed, and happily trotted away.

Celestia smiled to herself, and sipped at her tea. This was the way you earn subjects' trust- from the bottom up. Equestria needed to be founded on friendship, as it was in the ancient past.

Her sister apparently had her own ideas on friendship, and Celestia watched bemusedly as she drank with a stallion, a strong looking mass of a pony with unshorn fetlocks- the universal statement of 'virility'.

This was apparently not enough for her sister, who angrily departed from her stool, leaving her would-be courtier slamming his head against the bar.

Never try and out-drink Luna.

Celestia, having finished her tea, left her spot and gathered their bags up to follow her sister up the stairs to their room.

"Not good enough?" Celestia asked, in good natured sympathy.

Luna sighed, and unlocked their door. "Hunting for sharks, and I all I ever catch is trout," she said, and led her sister inside.

It was a rather dingy and cramped room, but considering where they were, neither complained. Celestia lay her bags against the wall, and opened the window.

"How do you do it, how does the Princess of the Sun play 'the game'"? Luna asked, as she carefully laid her weaponry against the wall.

Celestia smiled. "I don't, or at least I haven't since we were still in school," she replied.

Luna's eyes widened in bewilderment. "You're joking, you don't even... get out?"

Her sister laughed. "No, I'm just not as... driven as you are I guess," she said, and looked back out the window.

"It's time," she said, and her sister came to her side as- with a magical push- the sun finished its journey.

The sun would, of course, rise and set on its own accord. It was the job of them not to ensure it did, but to manage the rising and the setting to help repair the world. From then on the world would know perfect 365 day years, with perfectly managed 3 month seasons.

Luna rose her moon without delay, as she laid on the bed looking outside. She kept her armour on, with her weapons leaning against the wall. She yawned, and laid her head down.

"It has been a long day sister, I'll see you in the morning," she said, and quickly drifted off.

Celestia took her side, thankful it was a rather large bed- just a large hay filled pillow on the floor. She too quickly drifted off, only realizing how exhausting the day had been when she laid her head down and it all caught up with her.

While Celestia dreamed like any regular pony would, Luna continued the work she always had. She had discovered, long ago, a way to enter the world of dreams, dreams other than her own. She made it her mission to seek out those who needed help in this world, feeling that it was her logical prerogative. That was how she earned her cutie mark.

The dreamscape was a strange place, almost an ethereal setting. Dreams, millions of dreams, and not just those of ponies, dotted a black and blue sky. The dreams themselves, Luna learned over time, could be categorized based on how they looked from a distance. Celestia spoke of a similar place when she had spoken with the elements. What the connect was, Luna did not know.

Good dreams, the dreams of the content and unafraid, were a light blue viewed from beyond, and floated through the dreamscape at a leisurely pace.

Exciting dreams, the dreams of the adventurous youth, flew around with a glowing green. Often, when there was nothing else to do, Luna would drop in on some of these and- totally unknown to the other- enhance them. They would never know that their adversary was actually Princess of the Night. Besting them was always fun.

Nightmares, the dreams of the afraid- those with deep problems that perhaps not even they realized- were a dark presence. These shot around on precarious paths, leading trails of deep red. If one was venturing out, it was quite easy to actually get sucked into one of these without knowing it- a terrifying experience. Luna made it her mission to seek these out, and try to save the dreamer's psyche. Little did the populace know that she was their greatest hero, and many a filly or colt had their fears assuaged by her. It was a thankless job, but that was the nature of dreams- forgotten except by the subconscious.

There was another type of dream, those that formed pink clouds here and there, but those Luna pointedly avoided. There are some parts of a person's psyche that should remain private.

She was, however, slightly amused to note how many more there were whenever she visited one of the towns. Stallions were all the same in the end. As Luna flew amongst the dreams, gliding not by her wings but by thought alone, she was pleased to note nothing serious in the world's minds. No nightmares tonight, only dreams.

Luna created a dream of her own, one she often went to. Equestria, her Equestria, with herself as Queen. It was a blind power fantasy- but what were dreams for if not to explore the impossible?

As the pair slept, so did the village, more soundly than ever before. They slept as those that had seen the worst slept, all their future held was good. In the morning when they awoke, their mayor went door to door and bid they assemble in the courtyard, collected in the brisk dawn's twilight. As he did that, Celestia and Luna worked out their plan for the morning.

Celestia emerged from the inn, her sister at her side, and stood before them. The town had grown, she noted- there were as many foals as adults. It was an encouraging sign for the future.

The mayor noticed them, and bowed as they approached. "Citizens of White Tail, may I present Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!" he addressed, and stepped aside from his position, just in front of the ugly statue in the town centre.

Celestia strode up, and looked over all the admiring faces of the towns citizens.

This'll be easy.

"Citizens of White Tail," Celestia spoke, her sister- once again armed- at her side.

"I come to you to ask that you follow me, and my sister, to a greater future. Under our leadership we will bring you safety, and harmony in a new Equestrian nation. The chaos of Discord is over, now it is up to us to rebuild the world he brought to its knees. I can't promise it will be easy, but under our leadership we will build a better world for our children," Celestia boomed across them, and then paused with a slight nod to her sister, who silently lowered the moon over the horizon.

"White Tail..." Celestia said, and lifted herself into the air. "... will you follow me?"

Her horn shimmered, and the sun lifted over horizon behind her, silhouetting her figure in its light.

"Into a brighter day?" She boomed, enhancing her voice magically.

The impact was just as she hoped, and she lowered back the ground they looked on her with awe, a few of them had their jaws dropped. Celestia glanced sideways at her sister, and noticed she was staring straight ahead.

"They can control the cosmos!" One of the ponies eventually exclaimed.

"You saved us from Discord, we'll do whatever you ask!" Another followed.

"Then kneel!" Luna commanded.

Celestia grimaced at her command, and felt awkward as the few dozen assembled ponies buried their muzzles in the dirt.

Luna was happy though, and that counted for something. Allowing a few moments of silence, Celestia spoke again.

"Do you then, citizens of White Tail, swear an oath of fealty to us- to whatever end, as our subjects?"

As one, they replied in the affirmative.

"Good," Celestia said, and pointed towards the mayor. "A century of our guard will arrive by the end of the week, you will be under their protection from now on. It will be your duty to feed and house them, and to maintain their weapons."

"I understand," the Mayor said, and Celestia caught a flash of recognition as he realized he had effectively given up his town's freedom.

Celestia knew it was for the better. Only united could Equestria repair the Earth, and defeat the lingering chaos.

"Good, as soon as we have cleared the road I expect to see you in the Everfree to make this official," Celestia finished, and gestured to her sister.

"Who leads your defense?" Luna asked the crowd.

A pony stood, and Celestia recognized him as the stallion from last night.

"I-"

Luna immediately shut him down. "Not anymore you don't, You'll be under the jurisdiction of Captain Hurricane now. His word is ours, understand?"

The pony nodded, and cowered under Luna's speech.

"Right, well..." Celestia started, "I suppose that does it, we'll get on our way now. Once the road is clear you may travel to the Everfree as you please, but for now I warn you to sit tight," Celestia said, and the ponies started off to begin their day.

After a few minutes, only the mayor remained. He seemed to have something on his mind, but couldn't work up the nerve to speak.

Celestia forced his hand. "Is there something you want, mayor?"

He approached, and pawed at the ground before speaking down to it. "I uh... will there be... taxes?"

Celestia put a hoof to his chin, and brought it up towards her. "Of course, but not yet. Enjoy your new safety mayor, and know that you're under our protection now. We'll work out the details later," Celestia said.

"Indeed, no more worrying about these 'bandits' I've heard about," Luna added.

The mayor sighed. "I suppose it's worth it, I just feel... inferior all of a sudden," he lamented.

Luna snorted. "That's because you are, dear subject," she said, and started off towards the edge of town, her chin held high.

"Come sister, it's a half day's journey before home," she said, beckoning Celestia follow.

Celestia glanced at the mayor, but couldn't find anything to say.

She picked up her saddlebags, which had been leaning against the Lord of Chaos, and quickly cantered to her sister's side.

"Was that really necessary?" she asked.

"Was it not?" Luna returned. "He is nothing more than a manager now, he needs to know that. It's best he knows his place now, so that he doesn't end up finding it later."

Celestia admitted there was some wisdom to that- Captain Hurricane was easily angered, specifically by breaches in the chain of command. He was a good commander, however , and his theory on airborne force was exceptionally promising. Too bad they didn't have enough pegasi at the moment to carry it through. Plus, having a guard captain that was easily angered was a good thing, so long as their leadership knew how to direct it. Luna certainly did- Hurricane was her blunt instrument when her own sword wasn't enough.

For a few minutes they trotted along in peaceful silence, Luna assuming the stance of a bodyguard, aware of everything. When they were about to exit the White Tail woods Luna suddenly burst forward, while her sister was deep in her thoughts.

In a flash, startling Celestia almost out of her skin, she drew her crossbow and fired into the air.

"Come back here!" She yelled, galloping forward while she notched another bolt.

Celestia held, confused, and stared ahead into the sky. "What did you see!?" she shouted at her sister.

"It was..." Luna slid to a halt, swinging her crossbow around before her. "... I swear I saw it again," she said.

Celestia started out of the woods. "Did you really need to shoot it? What if it just wanted..."

"To talk?"

Celestia, startled once again out of her skin, jumped backwards and instinctively surrounded herself in a golden field of energy.

"Sister?!" Luna shouted, dashing back.

She saw as her sister did, but held her fire. In the trees, apparently right overtop them as they left the forest, was a pony.

Or at least, it seemed like a pony. The eyes were different, with a slit down the centre, and they almost seemed to glow. The creatures mane was a dark grey, as was its coat. Its wings looked like flaps of skin- not a feather to be seen. Its ears had a strange triple tuft of fur that stuck out from them.

It was grinning at her as it crouched on a branch.

"Vile fiend!" Luna shouted. "What is your purpose here!?" she demanded.

It laughed, while Celestia silently observed it.

"Vile fiend? We've just met and already you're calling me such dark things," It said, and swooped down over Celestia, apparently preferring to speak to Luna.

"I have a message for you, from the North, that is my purpose."

Luna glared at it. "What would that message be?" she asked.

"It's the message we give to all travellers," it said, and suddenly turned its gaze to Celestia.

"We're watching," it said, and with a flash took to the sky. In only a moment it was gone, flying low over the trees.

"Who are you?!" Luna shouted, but received no reply.

"Forget it for now," Celestia said, and lowered her magic field. "We'll find out eventually, for now let's get home," She said.

Luna nodded her agreement, and once again they set off. She kept that crossbow floating ahead of her though, and Celestia couldn't blame her- they were both quite creeped out. As they continued on their journey, they theorized about what their visitor was.

A different species, like the Griffons, or Zebras? If so, why had it not been seen before?

A magical mutation of some sort? This was a frightening option, the power required for that was not a fun thing to have running wild.

A creation of Discord's? This seemed the most probable theory he had, after all, created chimeras of all sorts.

So then, who were "they" and where did "they" live? Why would a group secretly watching them announce itself?

Celestia was going to spend a long time in the archives when they got home, and they sped up on their trot home, coming into the forest across the river from the Everfree.

Ahead, Luna head the tell-tale sound of hoof steps, and her hoof shot into the air.

"Hold," she commanded quietly.

Celestia did, her horn radiating energy as it charged with power, just in case.

"So I said, I said 'White Tail? When we're done with it they won't have a tail!"" A gruff stallion voice joked, and then came onto the path before them, flanked by a pair of stallions just as armoured- and ugly- as he was.

Celestia recognized the pair, and gasped in surprise. Slickhoof, the same pony as on the wanted poster. She opened her mouth to tell Luna, but found she was already ahead.

"Surrender fiends!" Luna demanded, drawing her sword.

The leader looked to his companions, and laughed. "Oh what's this, a pretty little mare like you out here in the big dangerous forest?"

Luna didn't take kindly to this, and a moment later he was hovering in the air along with his partners, grasping at his neck.

There was a sword at it as well.

"Now you've done it," Celestia said, smirking and approaching the terrified trio with her sister. "Mr Slickhoof, you've got quite a record. I believe the penalty for what you have done is capital, but I'll leave that to my sister." She said, staring into his eyes.

"What are you, some kind of giant? Let me go!" He demanded.

Luna increased her grip on him, and gently pushed Celestia back.

"Let you go? No, I think not. Tell me where this "White Horse" gang makes their camp, and I may let you live. " Luna demanded.

"I don't know of any gang, I'm a simple traveller!" The leader gasped.

Luna increased her hold, and brought him lower so she could stare into his eyes.

"Lie to me again, and it will be the last breath you take. I know full well who you are, vile criminal. These lands are under our protection now, and I won't hesitate to pass my judgement on you if you lie again. I will ask you once more: Where is your camp?"

The pony hesitated for a moment. "We're just... travellers..." he repeated.

Snap

Celestia grimaced and looked away, as Luna turned to the second pony, who glanced around looking for any escape, terrified out of his mind.

"We were going to scout it out, for the attack tomorrow!"

"Bandits, then?" Luna asked. The pony nodded reluctantly.

"Very well, where is your camp?" She prodded.

"An hour North, along the river!"

"Very good," Luna said, and released her hold on the pair's necks, although still holding them magically.

"You may be a brigand, and a coward, but you aren't as stupid as this one. Go back to your camp, and inform your leader that I will be coming tomorrow. If you don't surrender, you will all meet his fate," she threatened.

"I will not give you a second chance. If we arrive and you do not immediately surrender, your lives are forfeit. Understand?" She said, and prodded him in the chest.

The pony, his forehead thick with sweat now, nodded. "Y...Yes! Just don't kill me!"

Luna smirked. "I won't, not yet," she said, and released him from her hold- keeping her sword held aloft.

"Now take this filth with you and depart."

For a moment they just stared at her in shock.

"Hastily," she hissed.

They did as asked, and collected their 'superior' before darting back down the path, out of sight.

"An ignoble end for an ignoble stallion. Still, I wish there was some less violent way of dealing with these sorts." Celestia asked.

Luna shrugged. "Those that live by the sword, only understand it. In any case, it's one less brigand I will have to deal with tomorrow. Now come, let's get home," she said, and continued down the path.

Celestia followed her, and buried her worry. Luna had always had a heart of fire, but it was always directed by those who were evil. The world had one less bandit to worry about now, was that really a bad thing?

The Everfree Stronghold wasn't much further away, and they relaxed once they crossed the river. They were firmly in their own territory at that point. Pegasi in the sky saw them approaching, and as soon as they crossed, Captain Hurricane met them.

He bowed, flanked by lieutenants, from the other side of the stone bridge as they approached. Captain Hurricane had a fiery heart, just like his ancestor, and wore similar shining black armour. Buried beneath, his coat was blue, to match the sky he called home. . His helmet, black metal marked with bronze, harkened back to the tradition of his pegasi forefathers. Its face was open, but covered his cheeks, and its striking plume, comprised of his own mane fur, stood from his head like fire.

Captain Hurricane had once taken down a dragon with nothing more than a spear, after three days of stalking the thing. He was not a stallion to be trifled with, and Celestia felt somewhat sorry for those bandits.

Then she realized she was feeling sorry for bandits and thought better of it.

"Princess Luna, Princess Celestia," he addressed as they stopped before him, kissing their hooves as was customary.

Celestia had tried to repeal that custom, but tradition was a hard thing to stop.

"I trust you were successful?" He asked.

Luna nodded, and strode forward at his side, Celestia trailing behind.

"Oh yes Captain, White Tail is in our hooves now. I have put the town under your fief. Protect them, and let this be a gift for your service."

Celestia silently cursed. She never agreed to giving anybody land holdings, but that cat was out of the bag now.

"But first, Captain, we must plan for tomorrow. I have discovered the location of a bandit camp, and we are going to crush them," Luna added, and...

Well, she cackled.

"This is our Equestria now, and we're going to make sure they know it! Come, Captain, let us plan!" Luna said, and led the captain off into the Stronghold, leaving her sister behind.

Celestia shook her head, and looked at the Everfree Stronghold outside its gate. She looked upon it from a perspective she hadn't often, that of the outsider. The huge stone structures that made up the stronghold made a great defence, but would seem incredibly intimidating to a newcomer. Perhaps this had it's uses, for now, but in time it might begin to pain the wrong picture. It had been her home since she had been born, and had sustained it's two thousand person population for generations, but perhaps it was time to move on.

Too isolated, too old, too small. We need to move... where?

Pondering that, she breezed past dozens of bowing subjects before even getting there, and dropped her bags within her quarters. From there she headed to the library, stopping quickly by the kitchen. A quick meal of pie there sated her, and then she set off for the Great Library. The sum total of remaining pony knowledge was in that library, technologies and sciences that they could re-discover now that they were free. It would take several lifetimes to go through it all, the dozens of room filled with millions of books seemed to go on forever.

Star Swirl was, as always, reading.

"You're back," he said, not looking up from the arcane tome he was perusing. He was sitting amongst a few towers of other works on a pillow, almost shadowed by them.

An earth pony, yet one with an insatiable thirst for knowledge. He hadn't done manual labour in his life: which was at this point quite long, almost as long as his beard.

"Of course I am, Swirl, and it looks like you're the same place I left you," Celestia said, and skimmed the shelves, looking for another book. Something to give her some inspiration of where they should move to, perhaps a geographical atlas, or maybe an essay on architecture The best bet seemed to be to create a new city, instead of usurping an already existing settlement. Finding a place, designing the city, and then building it, would be a great challenge.

It would be the perfect thing for a young nation to focus on through it's growing pains, something for the people to look forward to. A shining example of their unity. Celestia became convinced of it now, they would build a gleaming capital, a testament to their triumph over Discord.

He snorted, and flipped the page. "I told you not to call me that, there are two words in my name, two,"

"I could order your name changed to Swirl, I'm a Princess now you know," Celestia joked, pulling down one of the volumes.

The City on the Hill: Canterlot.

"I don't think I've heard of that before," she mumbled.

She opened it up, hovering it before herself in a golden magic field. The authors name, oddly, had been erased.

"Don't think you've heard of what?" Star Swirl asked, suddenly at her side.

"Canterlot," Celestia said, quickly skimming the first page.

It described a beautiful, gleaming city, one that all the world looked up to. It's golden buildings shone radiantly in the day sun, and sparkled elegantly at night. Built on the side of a mountain, it would have been visible for miles around.

"It's just a myth, the city never really existed," Star Swirl said, and shook his head at the idea.

Celestia smiled, and shut the book.

"What if we make it a reality?"