• Published 19th Apr 2014
  • 1,734 Views, 70 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Cutie Mark Rising - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Twilight starts school, and trying to get her Cutie Mark

  • ...
0
 70
 1,734

Forlorn Friday

Twilight watched Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom head toward their class room as she and the Cake twins went toward their own.

It was Friday. Most of the other ponies were excited since it meant that they would be enjoying their first weekend from school. The foals in Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo's class were extra excited since they were all invited to a party at Sugarcube Corner, with three exceptions.

The six of them had spent all day after school both Wednesday and Thursday trying anything and everything they could do to try and get their cutie marks. They tried apple bucking. Everypony but Apple Bloom ended up being very sore from kicking at trees. They tried baking. Pumpkin did fine (seeing as it was what she normally did anyways), and Twilight's were edible. Otherwise it was fortunate that Pinkie Pie was around, and always knew where a fire extinguisher was.

The next day, at the suggestion of Pound and Scootaloo, they tried going to Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash for suggestion and help. For Twilight, Fluttershy's had been the worse. She had no idea that chickens could be so vicious when it came to trying to get feed from a pony. Rainbow Dash's idea were all athletic: hang gliding, skateboarding, wrestling. Applejack was not happy about that last one since they were trying it using the farm's pigs.

At the end of the day, they were sore, dirty, exhausted, and still without their cutie marks.

Twilight kind of wished she could go and be there to support her friends. But after what happened with Diamond Tiara Tuesday, it was strongly recommended that the two avoid each other for a while. That meant that Sugarcube Corner was off limits today because of Diamond Tiara's cute-ceaƱera. Unfortunately, it also meant that she was not going to get to hang out with her friends today. Three were going as guests (although it seemed they really did not want to), Pumpkin was going to be helping make the refreshments, and Pound had to stay to help replace the empty trays with full ones. So none of her friends would be able to spend time with her today.

"Oh come on," Trixie growled from beside Twilight, bringing the purple filly back to the present. "I know I had some pencils in here."

Trixie had her bag on her desk and was digging through it. There were papers, some books, and even a set of magic linking rings on her desk. The blue filly continued to dig through her bag, looking for something.

Twilight started to asked what was wrong, but stopped. She was pretty sure that asking would just get her a withering glare. Reaching into her own bag, she pulled out several pencils. Picking the one that looked the sharpest and held it out toward Trixie.

"Here."

Trixie looked at the pencil being held out to her. Her gaze slowly shifted from the writing utensil to the filly that was holding it. Her violet eyes narrowed as she studied the filly sitting next to her.

"What's the catch?"

"No catch," Twilight replied. "You need a pencil and I have some extras. Here."

Trixie continued to stare at Twilight for a moment. Slowly, the blue filly reached out and took the pencil from the purple one.

"Don't think this changes anything between us," Trixie snapped, turning back to her desk.

Twilight looked away, rolling her eyes slightly as she got ready for class to start.

"And... thanks." Trixie mumbled, just low enough that Twilight was barely able to hear.

"You're welcome," Twilight said with a smile. The smile was lost however, as Trixie was adamantly not looking in Twilight's direction.