• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 927 Views, 28 Comments

Life Lessons - lunabrony



Mrs. Cake has just had her foals. Which under normal circumstances, would be cause for celebration. Except for one thing... she was never pregnant. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have some investigating to do.

  • ...
1
 28
 927

3 - An Ancient Order

The journey to Town Hall was simple. All the Crusaders had to do was weave through the marketplace to make it to the other side of town. The sun was starting to go down by this point, and the majority of the political staff had left for the day.

"Alright, this is gonna have to be our last stop for the day until tomorrow," Scootaloo said. "We already snuck out of school, we don't want to be out too late on top of that."

"Agreed," Apple Bloom said. "We can't make any progress if we all get grounded."

Sweetie Belle reached up to open the door, but the door swung open before she could get a hold of the handle. It bashed the poor unicorn in the nose, and sent her skidding several inches backwards.

The pony behind the door, astonishingly, turned out to be the Mayor herself. She peered around the door to see what she'd accidentally hit, and immediately rushed over.

"Great heavens," she exclaimed. "Are you alright? I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine," Sweetie said, rubbing her nose with a hoof. "But those doors should really be more see through. Ponies going in and out all the time like that."

"See through doors," the Mayor said. "I'll make a note of it. Did you girls need something?'

"Yes," Bloom said. "But if we tell you what we want you won't tell us. We know about the secret adult club, none of the big ponies are talkin'."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," the Mayor said. "And I'd love to help you, but if you won't tell me, I really must off."

Scootaloo glanced at Sweetie Belle. "Worth a try," she said.

"Where do foals come from?" Sweetie asked.

"...You mean you haven't learned that yet?" the Mayor looked astonished. "Haven't they taught you anything in school?"

"Anything about what?" Bloom asked.

"...Never mind," the Mayor said. "I'll make a note of examining the curriculum tomorrow. It's better you kids learn about it in school or from your parents then on the street."

"Apple Bloom doesn't have parents," Scootaloo pointed out.

Bloom looked shocked, Sweetie smacked the pegasus upside the head. "Nice, Scootaloo. Real nice," Sweetie said.

"Thank you girls for bringing this to my attention, but I really must go. Get home safely!" And the Mayor hurried off.

Apple Bloom was still in stunned silence, but shook it off after a moment or two. "...Anyway..." she continued. "Come on. We have a lead to follow." With a final glare at Scootaloo, she disappeared inside.

Scootaloo made to follow, but a white hoof blocked her entry.

Sweetie Belle stopped Scootaloo from entering. "Maybe you should wait out here for this one," Sweetie said.

"What? Why? I wasn't trying to be mean, it's true!"

"You know Bloom doesn't like talking about it! That was completely not okay. Just wait here, apologize to Bloom when we get back. It'll only be a minute, and we can go home." Sweetie Belle disappeared inside.

Scootaloo sighed, grunting in annoyance. She began making her way around the side of the building, attempting to see if there was another way in from the back. She was so distracted that she never heard muffled hoofsteps behind her, and the last thing she saw was being immersed in blackness as a dark hood was thrown over her head from behind.
---

Inside, was a different story. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle approached the front desk, behind which an elder stallion was sorting through papers.

"Can I help you?" He asked. "I'm afraid if you're looking for the Mayor, she's gone for the day."

"No, no," Bloom said. "We wanna see the foal classes."

The stallion frowned. "The what?"

"You know," Sweetie said. "The classes that you have to take if you're gonna have a foal."

"The Lamanez classes?" He frowned deeper. "Why?"

"School project," Bloom said. "We're doing reports on healthy relationships and childcare."

"Oh!" The stallion brightened. "Well, that's very inspiring to hear. Go down the hall behind me, last door on the right. Classes are done for the day, but if you're lucky our course leader might still be preparing for the next session."

"Thanks!" the fillies echoed, galloping down the hall.

"You okay, Bloom?" Sweetie asked.

"Fine," she said. "Thanks."

Making their way to the end of the hall, the fillies knocked on the last door on the right.

"Come on in!" A friendly voice answered.

The two swung the door open, and gasped, completely caught off guard at what they were seeing.
---

"Let me go!" Scootaloo shouted, struggling helplessly while being dragged/carried for what felt like hours. Finally she was set down, and the cloth was removed from her head. Scootaloo's eyes stung, and it took her a few minutes to adjust to the dim lightning. The darkness around her was pierced only by occasional candles, and in front of her stood two ponies, of identical height and color. Twins, perhaps? They both had completely black coats with short white manes. Interestingly enough, they both had the same question mark shaped cutie mark.

"What is this? Where is this? Who are you?" Scootaloo demanded. "My parents will hear about this!"

"You don't have parents," the pony on the left said. Scootaloo was insulted.

"And now you now how the yellow one feels," the one on the right said.

"...Who are you?"

"We are an ancient Order which has protected Ponyville for a very long time. There are few of us that remain, but we do what we can."

"Okay? What's that have to do with me? And who. ARE. YOU? She asked again."

The two identical stallions exchanged a glance. "We are the FreeNeighsons," he explained. "And you and your friends have been going around town asking the wrong sorts of questions. You have attracted Her attention, and I fear all of you are in danger."

"Who's Her?"

"That is not for you to know, but you are safe here for now. We are doing what we can to protect your friends as well, but they may not be as lucky..."
---

Standing in front of Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle was the perfect model of a princess. A long horn, silken wings, bright pink coat. She looked like the princesses in the coloring books the fillies had.

"Good evening," the mare said. "My name is Mi Amore Cadenza... please come in."

Author's Note:

Things are starting to heat up. Muahahaha.