• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 1,876 Views, 20 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: The Call of Equestria - threecard



A horror based "original world" take on The Conversion Bureau inspired by the works of HP Lovecraft

  • ...
6
 20
 1,876

The Shunned House

"Only a cynic can create horror—for behind every masterpiece of the sort must reside a driving daemonic force that despises the human race and its illusions, and longs to pull them to pieces and mock them."

From a letter to Weird Tales editor Edwin Baird, March 1924

September 24, 2012

As the clock in the sagging apartment's living room struck 9:44 AM, Cory had just completed his shower for the morning. Donning his clothes, a brown and white plaid button shirt and blue jeans, He recalled yesterday's conversation with the soaked man and himself starting a journal entry about what happened and what he speculated would come. Thinking over his predicament, he realized that he was just a simple reporter who knew almost nothing about what was troubling him.

Cory had decided yesterday that he was going to check out the Conversion Centers, but he was debating the wisdom of that decision. Why go straight into your fear? It is usually better to work along the periphery, especially when you know nothing about what you're doing. Taking out the Centers only left one option left: The scientists. Cory wondered how he was going to balance this with his career in reporting for the Herald.

Fortunately this was Cory's day off, so he could get right to what was at hand; The disappearances. They were really his only clue as to what was happening in the area. The first one that went to his mind was Dr. Malcolm Betruger. A biologist of renown, Dr. Betruger had recently been involved in gene-changing research in an effort to cure diseases of the like. He was amongst the first members of the scientific community to interact with the ponies, and spent a great deal of time with them. As one of the most famous scientists in his field, his vanishing act had caused great alarm, especially in local news, with the fact he had a home in Boston. Cory figured that Dr. Beturger's residence, if he could somehow find a way in, would shed some light on the Conversion Centers, or the ponies in general. He gathered his keys and wallet and left the apartment.

Walking along the damp cold autumn air, Cory noticed that the city's ancient streets were packed with news vans and other vehicles, all headed to one particular spot. As it was on the way to his destination, Cory figured that it would do no harm to look into it, and might even be related to the Conversion Bureaus in a way. As the investigator turned the corner he saw a glimpse of what the very large crowd was gathering at. It was one of the Conversion Centers, which was a stark contrast with Boston's typical gambrel roofs and Georgian balustrades. What appeared to be the real point of interest though, was a figure standing on top of a small makeshift stage, flanked by two white ponies in what looked to be armor.

It was also one of the ponies, or looked so, because it was much larger and more slender than one would normally expect from a pony. It was snow white, like the ones standing next to it, and wore what looked to be royal jewelery, such as a shining gold crown and some sort of large chest plate. The rainbow colored mane and tail was glowing with some sort of phantasmal substance, and it had both a horn and wings, marking it as some sort of hybrid between the three types of pony that were believed to be in existence. All of this was topped of with some sort of sun-like symbol on it's flank, and a feminine aura of something god-like. Cory's mind shuddered in disturbance by this. Whatever it was, it probably flew in the face of multiple science textbooks. How could something like that go unnoticed for so long? He tapped a crowd member on the shoulder.

"Excuse me." The investigator said as the man turned around to face him. Cory pointed at the figure. "What is that?"

"That's the ruler of Equestria. She's here to give a speech on the opening of the Conversion Centers."

"Why here in Boston, of all places?"

"Something about 'a connection to the history of each land the Centers are in', or something or the sort."

The man turned away, but before he did, Cory swore he had seen him someplace else. But the sound of the figure speaking quieted everyone in the audience. The speech began.

"Hello. I am Princess Celestia, and I am here to promote my kind's new Conversion Centers." The voice was graceful, and sounded like it belonged more to an angel talking to children. "I know that some of you may be thinking that we may be doing something immoral or harmful to your lands, but please give me a moment to calm those fears down.

Through the eons we Equestrians have been cut off from your world as we focused on our own matters. We had our reasons for doing so at first, but after certain events within Equestria, We realized that it was wrong to go on in a small land such as Equestria. So we visited the four corners of the world and decided to show others our values. But I'll admit there are other reasons too, as in the last few years Equestria has become overcrowded and we needed a way to solve that problem. Which leads me to why these Centers were built: so that the people of the world can better understand Equestria.

Harmony is a thing we hold very dear in our land. For us, the many things in life combining together into one pleasant melody has always been close to an ideal to be reached. Alone, we may be insignificant and miserable, but with harmony we can do so much more. By opening these Conversion Centers, we hope we can convince you to follow in our path and help us make paradise." As applause from the audience sounded, Princess Celestia finished the speech by cutting a ribbon in front of the center, oddly having the scissors in her mouth.

Cory would normally check out the building, but then he saw that a multitude of people were heading inside the center, and they didn't appear to be in there for a tour. In fact, on several of them he saw what looked to be clothes and various supplies for staying somewhere overnight, perhaps even a week or two. The burning question on his mind was why would people go to a place like this? Are Conversion Centers an overnight stay? "It would explain their size", he thought.

A green pegasus, one of the winged ponies, or so Cory heard, approached him.

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"No thank you, I have something to attend to."

"All Right then. We hope to see you again!" With that implication of a goodbye, the investigator left the Center.

Dr. Betruger's Boston home was centuries old, as indicated by the crumbling colonial architecture common to those in the city's northern outskirts. Going by car, legend-haunted Salem was just an hour away, and as such most people were spooked to not go near the home. The police had searched the darkly brooding house when it's occupant vanished, but had found little evidence. Cory would be more thorough, so he thought.

There were rumors of ponies sighted in the area, but they were infrequent, and thus dismissed. That was proven wrong when Cory saw two of them conversing on the rather large front porch. Cory stepped on a branch, and the ponies snapped their heads towards the source as the investigator dived behind a tree for cover. They eventually wrote it off as the wind, and continued their conversation as Cory snuck in the back window, opting for the stealthy approach.

The mansion had a frightful and tense aura to it, as Cory realized that he was walking somewhere where he was not supposed to be. "Why did those ponies guard the front door in the first place?", he wondered. "Is there something of Dr. Betruger's that belongs to them?" Some of the floorboards creaked as Cory's steps became loudly audible. Along the corridors there was a family portrait or stand with some priceless vase. The maze-like halls were totally devoid of life.

As the reporter walked through the abandoned halls of the mansion, he struggled to make heads or tails of where he was going, not having a map of the mansion. Contemplating on what do do next, his nose stumbled upon the smell of old chemicals. Cory, figuring that it was his only lead, decided to follow his instincts through the corridors, and found a room used as a laboratory. True enough, the scent emanated from some beakers as research papers littered a desk, almost looking half-ransacked. Cory examined them, and found something quite discomforting:

Test #22, August 5

The serum appears to have most of the bugs ironed out. Very few original genes still remain in the subject after transformation, and exhibits the friendly and happy demeanor of most ponies. The single gender issue appears to have been resolved, and we are nearing a final version for the general public.

The human double helix provided quite the challenge in changing it's base structure while keeping the organism alive, but I was able to accomplish it. It is all just a matter of working along the periphery; a change in hair color here, adjustments to limb dimensions there, until the big concerns are addressed with no resistance. The knowledge the ponies possess of things that normal members of the scientific community would laugh at are truly mind-shattering.

I must say, even though I have done a significant amount of work devoted to this serum, I could not have done it without my new found colleagues. Princess Celestia was right; we have strained in our scientific fields in our own little direction and selfish interest, acquiring nothing but increased knowledge of our ignorance of the cosmos. Even as a respected biologist, I can safely declare that our inquires into the universe will only yield more questions, never any answers. With the things Equestria has shown me, I have begun to question whether civilization's basic, corrupted principles of progress and logic will really lead to a better world. Why should we continue our struggle against nature when the ponies and their world can provide a far superior alternative to our short and limited future? Our reach for the stars beyond our earth is fruitless, and I am beginning to wonder if science even has a place in Equestria and its peaceful and serene existence, or is even right for that matter.

Look at me, filling my test reports with abstract philosophy instead of hypothesis and empty guesses. I shall pay no mind to it, as this shall go down in Equestrian history as a footnote to an uplifting of a species that embraced an illusion. Princess Celestia is ready to care for and guide the wretched mass of humanity, and my new colleagues and I shall pave the way.

Cory looked around the room, wondering what exactly the doctor was talking about, when he noticed the strangely colored green hair on the desk. He picked it up, and observed that it was about 1 foot long, and looked to be from a male. More strangely, the hide of skin on the end was a dark blue, mostly certainly not a color any human being should have. Wide-eyed, he checked the lab again, and saw similar stands, one a pink two foot female hair with orange skin, and others in even more impossible combinations that should not exist in the human race.

Cory trembled with fear as he reread the report, his hand shaking wildly. As he grasped the full implication of what Dr. Betruger's notes were after the date of the disappearance and his contact with the ponies, he realized what exactly was happening to his mind. The tense at the man from yesterday caving in to the unicorn, his deep suspicion of the Bureaus, the sighting of Princess Celestia, he dawned at the fact he had lost a fraction of his sanity. He was experiencing horror at things thought unimaginable by geneticists, as Dr. Betruger toyed with the limits of known science like a cat would with a mouse.

The reporter composed himself, grabbed a few more test reports, and proceeded to find a way out of the building. He heard creaky footsteps, and saw the shadows of the two ponies from earlier, apparently patrolling the house.

Cory, in a fit of panic, started to bolt towards an a adjacent hallway as the two figures heard them, and began chase. The investigator raced though the halls, as the ponies guards continued speeding ever closer to him. Cory closed and bolted door frantically as the investigator went through them, the ponies knocking loudly and shouting, was was good for him, as Cory ran into a multitude of dead end rooms. He saw the lock on the door glow slightly, and it proceeded to open itself. Cory screamed in terror at the realization his fail-safe was useless, but luckily he saw the window he opened, and vaulted out white-faced towards Boston proper.

As Cory entered his apartment, he began to calm down. The day was over, and he could finally get some sleep, but he needed some details before he could retire. Determining that if he really wanted to be an investigator, he would have to collect as much evidence as he could, Cory set to work renovating his writing desk. Stapling a map of Boston up on the wall, he started his work as he pulled out a marker and started circling the locations of all the known Conversion Centers in the city. It being only a day since he started, the only thing he could do was sticking printed out news articles about the disappearance of the scientists around the map, also posting the test result papers. The report was a start, but he would have to get more evidence if he wanted to get to the bottom of it.

September 24

Today I finally got to witness the ruler of Equestria, one Princess Celestia. She was some sort of angelic figure straight out of the bible, and spoke about harmony and creating paradise. Princess Celestia tried to calm fears about the Centers, but my senses only tell me that it is not a good thing, as if society was being upheavaled by something else entirely. I saw several people enter the Conversion Center, but I wonder if it really is the way to utopia, as Celestia's dialogue indicated.

When I broke into Dr. Betruger's home I saw two ponies guarding the mansion, but I snuck past them, and managed to find some notes left by the doctor. They have made a great mental disturbance. Who would write such things about humanity? Who would make a serum that changes... Something? How can one's beliefs be shattered after seeing some place? How does one of biology's most famous scientists go from humanist to supporter of Celestia in just the span of a few weeks? What in the world was I reading? What is going on? Maybe Celestia is right. Maybe we should embrace harmony as our ideal. No... I have free will to do as I please. I am Cory Elisen. Nothing can take those away from me. Dr. Betruger's mind changed sometime around August 5, and something inside him died, I can take the guess.

I have started a wall of some sort, displaying the evidence I have gathered. Is is almost barren now, but I feel I must continue on. Will attempt to muster the strength to look into the Conversion Centers this time around, for real. My fear for tragedy in Boston has been replaced with fear for a dark future for humanity.